Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I've enlisted the help of one of my friends to come and help me get all the old bottom paint off of my boat. I dont think it's been done for many many years.

Luckily I've been able to rent some kind of machine from the harbour master to help, but I have no idea how it works. I guess it's just a scraper/sander with a sucker on it or something.

Oh yeah, I'm also going to be installing some new windows.
And fixing the toilet.
And installing a chartplotter/sounder.
And a new table for the cockpit.
And ofcourse servicing the engine.
And installing the mast for the first time.
And maybe try sewing my ancient mainsail.
And try to rig up some lazyjacks.
And fixing some of the electrics.
An:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

-Anders posted:

I've enlisted the help of one of my friends to come and help me get all the old bottom paint off of my boat. I dont think it's been done for many many years.

Luckily I've been able to rent some kind of machine from the harbour master to help, but I have no idea how it works. I guess it's just a scraper/sander with a sucker on it or something.

Oh yeah, I'm also going to be installing some new windows.
And fixing the toilet.
And installing a chartplotter/sounder.
And a new table for the cockpit.
And ofcourse servicing the engine.
And installing the mast for the first time.
And maybe try sewing my ancient mainsail.
And try to rig up some lazyjacks.
And fixing some of the electrics.
An:suicide:

So RE: all of the above.
I've been scraping and sanding the bottom for three days during the easter holidays. I still need to get the last half of the boat sanded - and then it's on to priming and getting some antifowling on there.
We did manage to get the new windows installed though, they just need a bit of finish work and then they should be good to go.
And then there's still the rest of all that stuff up on the list there. :ohdear:

Anyway, I made a video about my progress and put it up on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJUra_Zf7ss

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I've been using 60 grain paper as that's the least my marina has to offer when renting their machine. It still takes a while though.
I'm going out there today after work to hopefully get the last 4/5s of the last side done. Then it's just filling out all the places I've gone too deep, and then it's on to priming and painting for like a week or so. Lots of other projects to be done too, but those are coming along slowly as well.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

-Anders posted:

I've been using 60 grain paper as that's the least my marina has to offer when renting their machine. It still takes a while though.
I'm going out there today after work to hopefully get the last 4/5s of the last side done. Then it's just filling out all the places I've gone too deep, and then it's on to priming and painting for like a week or so. Lots of other projects to be done too, but those are coming along slowly as well.

I just finish sanding the last of the boat today. I started at 1530, ended at 2000.
At 1930 i found out that the sander had a speed setting, and I had it on the lowest possible all day.
You may all laugh.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I got done applying filler, sanding it and painting the first layer of epoxy primer.
Now only 5-6 more layers of paint to go. :v:

I also got done installing a new table for the cockpit on a swivel mount, I've installed USB-power in the main cabin for charging all those electronics. (I'll add even more outlets soon-ish)
I also installed a small chartplotter on a swivel mount (I love swivel mounts), and when the boat gets in the water I'll add a depth sounder as well.
I'm going to epoxy it inside the hull, so I'll have to wait until the boat is in the water before I can find the best location for it.

Bonus video of the chartplotter-on-a-swivel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfq-N5YvSZg

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I'm curious to see how well the fishfinder/chirp world when I epoxy the transducer to the inside of the hull.
I never intended to really use it as i don't do much fishing, it was really just to get a depth reading. If it works that'll just be an added bonus.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
Update time!
I've actually come so far as to be done with priming the bottom (6 layers of primer) and now I've even put on the first layer of antifouling (:birddrugs:).
Unfortunately it started raining yesterday and will for some time it seems, so I'll have to wait to finish the job.

I've made an attempt at a video-log of sorts, I'll probably do some more whenever there's something to tell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI2P4Xu1r3s

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

Alctel posted:

I just finished pulling my mast and installing radar, ais + vhf antennas, spreader lights, wind anemometer, davis windex, anchor light, red over green, steaming light , electric foghorn and radar reflector. I think I have a total of around 200 feet of wire in my mast now, the hardest part was installing conduit.

Oh, also had my running rigging and furler replaced (I didn't do that though).

I finally finished almost everything today - all my lights work, the AIS transmits/receives correctly and the wind anemometer works a treat. All I need now is to install the radar interface box and the hideously expensive propitiatory network cable, hook up the foghorn to the VHF and I'm DONE. All the new lights are LED which are rad and use very low power (loving pricey though)

I'm exhausted

edit: I also found my compression post had rotted out, blergh, so I had to replace that as well.

Speaking of being productive, holy hell man!

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
In my never-ending quest to video-document most of anything I do with the boat, here's the part where I actually get the boat in the water.
Presented by my wife and myself chatting along over dinner. This is longish and not very well-spoken at all, do with it as you please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6Ba0wKeAzM

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
God, I love bowsprits like that.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
You can also look in to packrafts, which are like extremely lightweight and packable mini kayaks. I have one that weighs like 3lbs and takes up less space than my sleeping bag.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
No, I mean packrafts. https://www.google.dk/search?q=pack...mobile&ie=UTF-8
Although they're certainly not anything like a rhib, so it might not be what you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
Do note that any rope-like ladder will be almost entirely impossible to use if you are tired. It will move in under the boat whenever you put your feet on it.