Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Minus Pants posted:

What's the best way to learn to sail if you don't know anyone already into it? I've taken a 1 hour crash-course and read some books, but I'm not sure where to go from here. ASA 101/103? Private lessons? Any suggestions for where to take them? I'm in Chicago, but it would be nice to get something in this winter (obviously somewhere warmer).

Like alctel said, racing. In Chicago, give the match racing center a call. They should be able to point you in the right direction/hook you up work a crew looking for a newbie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

El Scotch posted:

I grew up sailing and racing 20 - 60 footers and I miss it. Sadly growing up and moving to landlocked places has stymied that love for a long time.

If I can ever find one, I'd love to get a Wylie 17 to take day sailing.

Is that a sailboard rig attached to an open transom laser?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Rime posted:

So I've heard that the best way to get experience (since club registration is march) is to show up at the docks and try to crew on Race day.

If you truly know of no one going racing, yes, this is the best way to do it. Just be upfront about your experience and your desire to learn and someone will pick you up, or point you in the direction of someone that needs crew.

You're probably not going to go out on a big, fast boat your first time that way, but you will get experience. You never know though, on the Flying Tiger and the Soverel 33 I crew on, we've been desperate enough for crew when its really blowing to take a newbie on as rail meat.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
How old is it? Gelcoat takes years to cure. That's why some of the most sturdy sailboats you'll find are J24s that sat in a warehouse for a year or two after the production boom in the early 80s before being purchased. Generally, in the last few decades, gelcoat durability has taken a hit because fiberglass shops will literally pop it out of the mold, coat it, then, prime it/finish/etc.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
IMOCA 60s, and canting keels in general are pretty :stonk:
http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2015/04/17/video-roll-roll-roll-the-boat/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
The CHIRP4 is pretty sweet, I was glad to see they put the CHIRP tech in the older, smaller chassis.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Guys, remember to keep an eye on the weather forecast while you're out on the water. Storms can get pretty nasty, pretty quick. A friend of mine lost his sailboat in this mess:

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2015/04/several_boaters_missing_after.html
The guy in this story, Tony, was on our north American champion race team. He's drat lucky to be alive.
http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2015/04/light_o_mobile_rescues_3_men_s.html#incart_related_stories

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Well, there is a difference. Most of the racing I do is inland lake where our racing rules don't state you're required to have one on. Most of the coastal, all offshore races will require you to have one on in the rules. There is a flag that race committee can fly at the start that requires crew to wear PFDs, regardless if its written into the rules or not, kinda like surf warning flags on beaches.

I haven't had a chance to talk to Tony since this happened so I'm not sure what his rationalization for it is. He's an experienced racer, with several Farr 40 (very high performance ocean racer) wins under his belt.

Like I said, personally, I don't wear mine all the time, especially if I'm crewing in the cockpit. If I'm doing something that requires me to go forward of the companionway and its blowing, say, over 12, I'll certainly wear it. If the water is salty, you're goddamn right I'm wearing one all the time.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Locator, talked to Tony on Wednesday.

The long and the short of it is, the storm came up so quickly no one had a chance to don any preservers before poo poo hit the fan. They were about 150 yards from the finish and thought they could out run the storm through the finish line and take the rags down, then. They didn't have time. Not that I'd say its an excuse when you're on a saltwater body, but, there's your answer.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
We like to say our Drinking Club has a Sailing problem, you're absolutely right. Club racing on Wednesdays and Saturdays generally ain't the Volvo Ocean Race.

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 4, 2015

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

TheFluff posted:

All done. Annoyingly, moments after this photo was taken we discovered the windex was put on backwards, so now we need to find somewhere with a better crane you can climb up into to adjust it, because gently caress taking the mast down again just to fix that.

Just get a bosun's chair and have someone winch you up the mast to fix that instead of yanking the whole thing down.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
If you wanna overnight you will want at least a J24, probably.

Bonus--actually having lifelines and a not retarded class association. We had a J24/J22 joint regatta early this year where we ended up not racing because the local J22 class association has a rule where they won't race if its blowing over 25kts. Which is exactly when a J/boat starts getting fun.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

sharkytm posted:

Wow, Narrow as hell, must be a joy to sail. That's the problem with a lot of modern boats (of all types). They make them wide to accommodate more people, which makes them slow, un-seakindly, and heavy.

That's one of the secrets to the SeaCraft hull from the 70's... narrow and the VDH make it an incredible sea boat.

If its asymmetrical and fast, you're drat right I want her to have a wide transom. (You did say *modern* boats.)

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Not even foilers--the FT10 I race on has 105m^2 of kite. When that thing pops a plane, you better hold the gently caress on and be sitting aft of the companionway.

You are correct about old hulls, though. There is a reason the J24 is still so popular.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
How'd you like your first lesson, Locator?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Jump on that J! They're what I learned to sail on and I still try to make 2 or 3 major regattas on them a year. My favorite sailboat. This is me with the owner of the boat (on top) and the two old(er) cats we crew her with most of the time. The oldest guy in that picture took delivery of his J/24 in 1982, in the first batch of boats to come into the southeast. The boat we're beside, Lucifer's Hammer, was on the same truck coming in. Neither Hammer nor Steve's boat, Dixie Chic, have ever left Lake Lanier as home port. Pretty cool if you ask me.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Popete posted:

The Locator. As a new sailor myself I cannot recommend highly enough finding a racing crew to sail with.

This is my second year sailing, last year I did the lessons and sailed small dinghy's which was fun and great experience. This year I moved to Chicago and through a friend from work sailed twice a week in a pretty big racing series on Lake Michigan. Sailed on a 30 ft boat, my first time on a true keel boat. It was incredible how much I learned over the summer. When you are on a bigger boat like that with a good skipper you learn so much. Also its free, most boats need extra hands and if you can consistently make it out they will love to have you.

Good sailing advice. Racing makes you a much better sailor. More attentive to rules/regs and your trim/speed.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Kenshin posted:

I was going to say something like I hope you can afford fuel but then decided I'm not a jerk. :colbert:

For real that is a very pretty boat.

Uh do you know how much good racing sails cost for anything that's not a Laser?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
That is hilariously bad.

Post removed though, did someone in here buy it?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

sharkytm posted:

I would expect that there's a transmission in between the motor and the shaft... which could drop the revs to something resembling sanity. I know the big boats I've worked on and run usually have ~2:1 reduction. We're certainly not spinning the 42" wheel at 1800RPM.

Correct, ski boats have reduction gears, commonly referred to as velvet drives.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

MrKatharsis posted:

^^^I watched that to get all psyched up for a race today. We ended up in 3 knots of wind the whole time.

I'm so tired of this summer bullshit. Give me 35 knots, raining ice sideways and 3 foot inland swells, please.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Invalido posted:

The most fun and fear I ever had on water was in one of these dinghies in an autumn gale (except it had a carbon fiber mast but no foresail)

I had managed to stay upright by luffing, spilling my wind and tacking upwind until the only option to get home was a run straight downwind through a narrow passage with land on both sides. Once the centerboard was up the thing was planing like a surfboard, which was lucky for me or else I'd flipped forwards or lost the rigging. I still to this day don't understand how I managed to pull off the two jibes needed to reach the dock.

What is that thing? Looks like an Opti and a Thistle had offspring

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Invalido posted:

Their website is swedish only but maybe chrome's translate function or similar might make it at least semi-readable: http://www.kronaboats.com/
(it's the small one, "1-kronan")

Google translate makes me giggle sometimes

quote:

1-krona is a durable dinghy that can be used in many ways! Depending on the weather it can be pleasant walk or sail exciting and challenging moguls in choppy seas!

1-krona is perhaps not so great but it is a real family boat and be able

to: > sailed as a - or tvåmansbåt with crew weight from 30 up to 175
kg. > Be decent
rowboat. > Be power boat with 2 hp
outboard. > Be släpdinge - get place on the foredeck of a medium-sized sailboat -hänga the
davit. > loaded on car roofs with all equipment stowed in the boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Popete posted:

Racing, when you need 3 brand new head sails to shave a few milliseconds off your time.

In my time in a competitive J24 program, (~5 years with the same team/boat, ~3 out of town regattas a year, ~10 weekends worth of hard racing locally, 35-40 beercan races and ~10 one day events) we've bought 2 genoas, 1 main, and 1 kite. Our practice sails are the suite that came with the boat when it was handed down to us by our buddy's dad, and we actively raced them for the first 2.5 years. Still perfectly serviceable for beercan/club racing. Our blade is older than myself and the skipper combined, nearly, because when you get to the point that you need to put the blade up in a J, it doesn't matter, you're gonna do hull speed.

e: Racing isn't exorbitantly expensive if you're racing anything smaller than a 10 meter sportboat.

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 14, 2016