Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

revmoo posted:

Yeah like I said I'm just looking for a runabout that I can pickup for 3-4k and spend hopefully less than a thousand a year on maintenance with. I'm hoping that by keeping it in fresh water and garaging it when not in use will keep down on some of the costs. I already have storage and a tow vehicle so really all I need is boat + registration/taxes, plus stuff like life jackets, flares, etc etc etc.

It's not impossible. Friend of mine bought an '88 22ft Larson with a 4.3 and a Mercury stern drive for $4k and I'm not sure if he just got lucky or what but his maintenance costs were ridiculously low. The only thing he ever had to do was replace a cracked exhaust manifold (which had been epoxied previously, but a new one was about $120 so he refrained from doing the same) and fix a stupid linage issue that caused it to stall going into reverse. He kept it outside through the summer and garaged it in winter, and did the fall services himself for about $30. Fuel was the only real significant expense.
And we had that prick in the water every single weekend with good weather (and really if the weather wasn't great we'd still go out and fish with it) for the last 2 years, beating the hell out of it the whole way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU