Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Picked up an old 84 Kawi JS550 and I've been working on getting it ready for the water. I've got new mats for it and a new hood gasket (aka hood seal). Is the hood supposed to sit on top of the gasket and compress it downward? Or am I supposed to leave a gap between the seal and the lip on the hull so that the hood goes between, and the hood contacts directly with the hull?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

AnimalChin posted:

Congratulations on buying the best and most fun water toy ever made. I owned the 89 JS550 - the last of the pure JetSki. They went "SX" model after that and it was never the same.

The hood will rest right on top of the gasket squishing it down eventually leaving it's own crease. This image shows what I mean:

(some of these images can be clicked for big)

Thanks! I'm loving working on this machine, I've had a great time restoring it back to a semblance of it's former glory. I've got some experience with riding these back in the day, my brother owned a 650sx with some aftermarket stuff on it. It amazes me that stand ups don't get the popularity they deserve, but then again people just want to get on a sit-down and hammer the throttle and "have fun". I get bored on those within minutes.

AnimalChin posted:

finger trigger throttle ('84 probably has a thumb throttle): 84 might have the old model trigger throttle, the wide plastic one.

straighter handlebars (stock bars hit you in the dingdong at full lock)

Bad stock bars:

Good aftermarket bars:

Mine has the throttle on the front of the handlebar, so it's a finger? It's different than the one on my bro's 650sx, which was more like a thumb "paddle". Or maybe someone rotated the thumb throttle around to the front, not sure. It also has the stock handlebar, which I agree is no good at all. I like wide bars, same as on a motorcycle. Definitely going to look into the spring as well.

AnimalChin posted:

And if you still have the dashboard cover flap installed, you'll need about a dozen of those little 0-ring grommets that keep the flap stuck into the hood release lever.

They fit in that hole on the right side of the pictue and wear out all the time.

Ditch the choke and replace it for a primer. Install a high power bilge pump for all the submarines you'll be doing.

Find an old copy of "JetDream" on VHS and relive my glory days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeEO0wf8k1w

Funny you mention that flap. My new mat kit has a dashboard pad that goes on the hull behind the flap, but the way the piece is cut I would have to remove that flap (permanently), or cut the foam piece to make it fit. The flap is riveted to the hull. Also, the tab on the flap doesn't line up with any holes, not even the hood latch. Am I missing something? Is it common to remove that flap? I'd rather not do anything that cannot be reversed.

The other issue I'm having with the mat kit is it's a Hydro Turf and because of the infinite wisdom of their marketing team they decided to put logos on the side pads which are oval cutouts. This wouldn't bother me but those cutouts are near the top of the side rails when the pad is installed, so when I bend the pad over the rail, the seam from the cutout makes it so that the pad doesn't bend around the rail very well, if that makes any sense. I am only in the test fitting stage and haven't used any adhesive yet.

Another thing I need to do is check the charging system. Can this be done with the ski out of the water, assuming I don't let it run for more than 15 seconds?

Primer kit, flame arrestor, and maybe a ride plate are also on the list but I'd like to get her baselined first. Thanks for all the information!

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

New mats are down and hood seal is down. I used DAP "Weldwood" red label adhesive, good stuff. I'm pretty pleased with the results but still a little miffed at Hydro Turf for compromising a product for the sake of advertising. Those stupid logos made those side rails 4x the job it should have been, and are the only part that doesn't look perfect. It's not 100% finished but is seaworthy and since it's a nice day today I'll probably take it down to the water for some initial testing. Definitely need a flush kit; I'm lucky to live in a town with multiple rivers for boating but it would be much easier to test on land. It's very tricky to test components on a vehicle with no neutral!

*edit* The spike on the cockpit flap sits about 1.5 inches below the hole in the hood latch when latched. I'm not sure why this is, I'll take a pic later.

Gorson fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 21, 2015

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

AnimalChin posted:

That's ... weird.

Either the strap is not the correct one for this ski or it's been modified.

I picked up a replacement on eBay. I've also got a kill switch and steering cable on the way, the current one is binding.

Gorson fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 26, 2015

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Ok, new hood strap, steering cable, and kill switch arrived. I'll just pull the pump to make it easier to get the cable out and...

poo poo. I believe the correct term for that impeller is "proper hosed". Suggestions on an impeller? I can probably live with an aluminum one as the stainless impellers go for around $200. Of course I also need the tool for removing the impeller!

:shepspends: