Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Wonder what's inside?

Oh. Darling, it's the boat I ordered.

Plop it in.

And just like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

monsterzero posted:

That's awesome. Did you get to unwrap it yourself?

Unfortunately no. :) It arrived friday night and I went and had a peek on saturday. Handover is tomorrow.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Thanks everyone. :) Now to learn to operate the damned thing.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

So I'm a massive idiot and the first thing I did yesterday was put the canvas down without making sure I'd unbuttoned all the buttons first. Just like they told me not to.

So I ripped one off. I smell a first project!

Poor.

Very poor.

Now, because I've been boating for a while, it just so happens I have a canvas button kit, so this is easily fixable.

There's an inside bit and and outside bit, and they're riveted together by putting the outside bit in the little blue cradle, and holding the little rod to the hub from the inside and hammering like you're Clarkson for a while.

Et voila.

The next thing I break won't be so easy and cheap I bet. :c00l:

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Morning coffee in new boat. It aint bad dudes.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Please tell me you went "vroom vroom" while pushing the throttle, and "whirrrr whirrrr" while hitting the thruster joysticks.

It kinda does that by itself when I turn it on.

Someone asked for interior pics, here are some. Cockpit looking forward:

Cockpit looking aft:

Aft cabin:

Front cabin, just a massive bed really:

Lobby area:

Heads:

With shower:

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Here's a helm action shot:

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

So far driving it I've learned that I love the autopilot, never had one before, super convenient on long stretches. Not loving the zipwake trimtabs in auto mode. Way too feequent adjustments, is all over the place. Probably something I can adjust, just scratching the surface of all these systems.

Also 5.5 rotations from end to end means a hell of a lot of sawing at the wheel in harbours.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

TheFluff posted:

Everyone has those mugs, do they? I have them too, they came with the boat.

Yes. They've been making them unchanged for over 30 years. I have some from when I was a kid, and some new. I also have the dinner plates, smaller plates and soup bowls, and wine glasses in the same series. Trying to source the water glasses now because the plastic crap we have are too easily toppled by kids. I like them a lot, they're made from tinted hardened glass rather than ceramic, and are pretty much unbreakable and never discolour or scratch.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

1m to tip of prop. Theres a ladder integrated in the bow spit so even my wife gets on and off easily when moored bow-to as we do up here

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Its not that big a boat :3:

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

I drained some from the water separator yesterday and it was fine. But now I have to bleed the system and poo poo just for that reassurance. Tried to order that filter with a glass bowl but they would'nt have it. Very cumbersome.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

I prefer things to stay the way they were because i'm an old

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Life in Norwegian boating 2020: every guest harbour is 200% full at all times. Corona travel restrictions made the entire country go "hey i know let's go boating" in unison. Pictured is a not particularly busy moment in Stavern, our boat centre:

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Update: I think the bulk of the herd is further south now, conditions are slightly less impossible. Currently in Tønsberg weathering some rain days.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

What I want to and what the rest of the family will go along with are not always in sync. We're on our home leg now so won't be going further this year at least. We made it as far south as Risør, which isn't very far but at least it's technically sørlandet. :haw:

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Passed 3 weeks aboard now and nobody wants to go home. I count that as a partial victory. Weather's been poo poo though, tbqh.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Autumn boating is here, finally I can get some use of my showoff deck lights :whatup:

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Welp. Season's over. Spent the weekend delivering the boat to it's winter layup near Arendal.

Start of the trip was... interesting. Hit fog thick as soup near the narrowest bits around Drøbak.

And of course I ran into all the big passenger liners and a container ship in the fog. Much honking, and a degree of stress, but now I really got value for the money for splurging on the radar. Really takes it from impossible to completely fine.

Had fairly calm weather and kept good pace most of the day. 6.5 hours at between 18 and 22 knots brought me to Risør. Where I spent the night:

The next day I only had 1.5 hours to go in completely flat waters @23 knots. Smooth as butter.

And as I turned the engine off for the last time, I had clocked precisely 100 engine hours:

Pleased with that.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

James May knows what's good. :wink:

http://wessexmarine.co.uk/2021/03/james-may-marex-310/

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Picked the boat up this weekend. Nice weather, nice trip.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Advent Horizon posted:

That’s a beautiful boat. Any more pictures?

There's a ton further back in this thread. :)

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Yesterday I upgraded the firmware of my boat's battery charger. Over bluetooth.

Weird future we live in.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

I got this stupid toy for my birthday. I'm literally James Bond now.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

What pieces of poo poo

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Too busy actually boating to post about it I guess :)

Ill try to dump some pics and words when I'm back.

E: would'nt want this to become a sailboat thread

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Leaving tuesday morning for almost 4 weeks vacation. Heading for Kristiansand but as usual we play by weather and comfort so not super likely we'll get that far, but I'm optimistic we'll make it farther south than last year :)

I'll try to post some highlights as we go along but no promises, vacating with the family is usually pretty hectic stuff.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Greetings from Arendal!

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Holiday sitrep, 11 nights aboard, somewhere south of Tvedestrand. My PV panels don't seem to provide anything this year, cutting our ability to stay in anchorages down to about 1 day, which isn't ideal. Read the regulator manual and hosed around with it for a while to no big avail, probably need to dig in there with a multimeter and stuff. Not sure what the problem is.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Wibla posted:

You headed further south, or further north? I live in Vestfold and I'm happy to help :sun:

What regulator is it? Measure the voltage on the PV input terminals on it to see if you have a wiring fault between the panels and the regulator.

Jolly deece of you Wibla, but I'm still not quite sure there's anything really wrong or if it just drowned in consumptuion. I'm going to turn off all consumers at midday today once my batts are fully charged and see.

Regulator is an Epever xtra 1210n with xdp1 display. Why there's a fancy display on it that i have to crawl down in the engine room to see is beyond me. Could i attach a bunch more panels to this regulator i wonder?

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Yeah headed north but verrrrry slowly, lingering in a nice area in the superb weater :coolfish:

Just pulled up at Furøya outside Tvedestrand.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Well I think I found the problem, with main fridge on and the cooling drawer off I've had 12.8-12.7 volts all day which tells me both that the panels probably do work and provide a little bit of voltage and also that the cooling drawer (aka the beer box) is a monstrous, ravenous consumer. Luckily the conundrum was easily resolved by drinking all the beer

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

They're ridiculously tiny obviously but i don't remember the specs, Ill try to find it somewhere

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Hadlock posted:

12.8v at rest is really low, if you disconnect the battery fully charged is it not at least 13.3v after ~10 minutes of disconnecting (the chemistry allows it to pop up a bit over time)? Your battery might just be old

Modern chargers have different cycles so these rules of thumb are a bit outdated. When I disconnected last time the charger was just keeping 13.1v on them so obv you're not gonna see 13.3 from the batts. And no they're not old, or abused.

Anyway we've been at an anchorage for close to 24 hours now and I'm still reading 12.6, before the sun hits the panels, so turning the coolbox off seems to have solved all my probs. I can live with that. There could be something wrong with it because I keep turning its thermostat up since it keeps things close to freezing. Its set to like +15c now and it still makes ice cubes in the orange juice :waycool:

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

These are my panels :3:

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Holy poo poo we nabbed a berth at the Lyngør guest pontoon. Probably once in a lifetime haha

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Neslepaks posted:

Holy poo poo we nabbed a berth at the Lyngør guest pontoon. Probably once in a lifetime haha

Well that was interesting, not the calmest pontoon in the world but we got to see world heritage site Lyngør and that was worth it.

Today we planned on making a dash north but we had 1.5m waves and the wife was not amused, so we only made it back to Risør. Tomorrow looks good for a stretch though

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Conditions today were... favourful

So we cut straight across and made a leap to the end of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Some more pics from Verdens Ende (literally The end of the world)