Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Kenshin posted:

Nice! I enjoyed it, good discussion of what you've done.

I just got back last week from a week long sail in the British Virgin Islands with a bunch of friends. We did bareboat charters for two catamarans through Voyage Yachts, with me skippering Freedom Seeker, a Voyage 500 (50-foot cat!) and my friend who helped organize the trip with me skippering Holoholo, a Voyage 440P (44-footer).

The deck of my boat while moored at Norman Island just north of The Bight:

Some of my friends on the deck as we motored from Norman Island to Cooper Island (the wind was directly against us and we needed to make sure we got a mooring ball that day, so didn't feel like tacking back and forth the whole way!)

My perfect parking job at the Bitter End Yacht Club in a slip that was barely 10 feet wider than my boat (I'm inordinately proud of this as it was only the second time I'd ever had to back into a slip on a catamaran like this and I was dealing with a headwind the whole time):

Holoholo at sail from Cooper Island toward the Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor (Spanish Town):

Freedom Seeker at anchor the last day of the trip, at Sandy Cay, just southeast of Jost Van Dyke:

I'm already working on getting the contract signed for my next charter: I'm taking Christelle, a 2001 Beneteau Oceanis 505, on a 4d/3n trip around the San Juan Islands in September.

Nice! I have been down there a few time on a bare boat with the family. How did you like the cat? We have always been down on a monohull but are looking at a cat for next time. Always found we were motoring more than sailing given the number of fishing nets and reefs around. Glad to see you actually shook the sails out. I can't remember seeing too many cats with the sails out.

I hope you found the snorkeling spot at Norman Island! I think it is one of the best on the islands for easy accessibility. Also make sure you get to the Baths if you did not on your last trip. Very worth the trip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

The Locator posted:

Why would someone rent a sailboat, and then not sail it? Why not just rent a powerboat instead?

Why are many sail boats called trawlers on a stick? :) Plus power boats cost more to rent for a given length/beam. The last time I was down there I started to see a lot more "power cats" which are just catamarans without the sail bits and a bigger motor(s).