Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
We just launched our Steam page today!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/437440/

As for an update, here's the Human Citadel:
Human Star Fortress (View in 3D)

The largest stations in Lord of Rigel are about the size of Phobos or Deimos and serve as central hubs for any prospective galactic ruler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScotchDK
Aug 14, 2008

mmmh, smooth...
One of our programmers is currently streaming his work, so if you want to see some preview and bug fixes, etc. get in! https://www.twitch.tv/tuxinet

ScotchDK
Aug 14, 2008

mmmh, smooth...
Another stream, this time also with the designers joining in: https://www.twitch.tv/rhombus_studios

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Here's the recorded dev stream for anyone interested:
https://www.twitch.tv/rhombus_studios/v/69534405

We're also doing audio work on our second trailer, the Arcturan one. Which should be going live on our steam page when done!

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
https://www.twitch.tv/rhombus_studios

We're doing a live stream right now of space monster art development. Working on our Von Neumann space probe that eats galaxies!

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Grats on getting your Steam page up. Tossed you on my wishlist.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Thanks winterwerefox!

Here's the results of the live stream, one of our galaxy-level threats a mysterious self-replicating probe:

Atarask fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 19, 2016

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
There's been a lot of under-the-hood work on LoR the last month. Tactical AI has been revamped, and we've reworked the internals of the ship manager system in game to be a lot more efficient. Which was a huge help for implementing the [redacted] grand menace.

Something to show off though is a fleet scale of the Human supercapital ships!

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Here's a look at the Yalkai behemoth, firing off its planet-killing main gun.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Atarask posted:

Here's a look at the Yalkai behemoth, firing off its planet-killing main gun.

that looks p cool

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Doesn't look nearly big enough.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Do we have an eta on this game?

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Yeah the 4k maps for these guys to get scale and detailing are why they're taking a while to do, but it's worth it in the end :)

We're aiming for early 2017, the "delay" (for those following us since the start we were aiming for late this year but it was never set in stone) is due to reworking some systems to make them more robust plus the revamps on tactical. We'll be doing a small closed beta down the road too. So for now it'll be a steady-ish stream of art updates but we'll have more substantive gameplay videos to show again too. That second trailer we mentioned from the Arcturan side of things we'll also be releasing down the road too.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I forgot about this game for some time and honestly I expected it to just die a quiet whimpering death and then never hear about it again, especially after the kickstarter didn't make it.

Your tenacity is admirable and I say that unironically. This is dedication.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
We're chugging away and not giving up :) But as always following us on twitter, facebook, and our steam page are good ways to stick with updates. We've been pretty good about keeping people updated through those since the KS last fall.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Here's a peak at our latest ship model the Ornithon titan. It continues with the mix of industrial and bird type of design while trying to evoke a little Klingon, Cardassian, and Romulan vibes.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Can it cloak?

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Big ships can be fitted with cloaks, so yes :)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Atarask posted:

Big ships can be fitted with cloaks, so yes :)

:eyepop: Romulan vibes :eyepop:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Just wanted to say I've been checking this out and it's looking real good. :)

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Thanks! On facebook and twitter @LordofRigel we have frequent updates so it's the best way to keep up to date if interested.

We did show off the VN mothership earlier, but to give a sense of their nastiness here's one of their cruiser sized drones:

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Well here's the kitty supercaps all in a row.

Over the past few weeks we've been going through the UI clean ups and work on making things more stable. Overall though it's a bit of a tearing it all apart and rebuilding it sort of thing we've been doing the past few months. But the end will be worth it!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I saw this on Steam.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Yep we're still chugging away :)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope you don't think the lack of activity in the thread is from lack of interest, I've been following this but just don't have a lot to comment about until it's out for reals.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Baronjutter posted:

I hope you don't think the lack of activity in the thread is from lack of interest, I've been following this but just don't have a lot to comment about until it's out for reals.

Yeah, I could prolly just emptyquote this post.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Baronjutter posted:

This, after new MoO and Stellaris I'm still waiting for a good space 4x to scratch the itch but until this is out (or at least a demo) can't say much about it.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Just seen this and wanted to add my support - it looks extremely promising, and definitely has a real 'MOO feel' to it.

Well done on everything you've accomplished so far and am definitely looking forward to seeing this in future.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Thanks! That means a lot to the team hearing that from everyone.

We've had a few big updates this week, the soundtrack is mostly mastered and art wise we're finishing some of the last player ships.

As always, coding for a 4x game is like a land war in Asia. Some good progress has been made on refactoring code and epsionage is currently being fleshed out now that it can be connected with the other systems.

@Angry Lobster and Baronjutter: We'll be doing a closed beta next year since we feel that's a better approach than Early Access and we can get better feedback we can act on. So it's still a bit off but we're slowly but surely getting there.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Put me in, coach.

Yeah, I was really disappointed by the new moo remake and stellaris, none of scratched the itch. This legends of the precursors moo1 remake seems cool, but it's just a 1:1 moo remake with a few quality of life improvements.
Oh also is anyone following that "MORE" game which also seems to be an attempt at a true moo2 spiritual successor? They seem to have not being doing so well...

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 15, 2016

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Well Predestination and MORE are part of what triggered this project, and both seem to be chugging along at early access or closed beta.

Space Sector also launched a forum yesterday about starting its own 4x game. I'm sure there's a few screaming "TRAITOR!" at us for switching to real time for tactical, but the 1:1 MOO2 style combat with 3d graphics we launched as a tactical demo didn't scale up so great for larger engagements. But I think between us and Stars in Shadow that itch should be getting scratched pretty well. :)

Also, to celebrate most of the sound track being mastered we've updated our Soundcloud page with a lot of new music:
https://soundcloud.com/rhombustudios

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

A new thing to show off today, the Tulock behemoth and a look at a second grand menace, the Infection mothership.

Basically they're the Borg-Reapers-Thing combined. (or the Beast from Homeworld Catalcysm). They infect ships and planets with a virus and seek to spread throughout the galaxy.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

We've hit a big internal milestone this week, the art for all of the playable species is now done. We have some of the elder race superships (aka the pants poopers) and various space monsters and grand menaces left to do.

The above image is a Synth starbase.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Wanted to say I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this. Stellaris is fun but not really scratching that space itch the way this game looks like it can. All these ships are so loving pretty. How many ship classes are there?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
faved thread, wishlisted game

don't screw up, although the last few tries by other devs made me kinda :smith:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Atarask posted:

I'm sure there's a few screaming "TRAITOR!" at us for switching to real time for tactical,

This is me in real life.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

This is me in real life.

Me too, but if it's pausable and I can give orders while paused (so basically like Homeworld) I'm pretty sure I'll live.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
@Martha Stewart Undying: There's: Frigate, Destroyer, Cruiser, Battleship, Titan, and Behemoth plus 10 playable species so it's why it's taken two years to get the art done :)

In hindsight the time it takes to do the art assets is why so many 4x games have had fewer ship classes and species in the last few years.

Also we've been playing Stellaris a bit. The exploration in it is great but even after Leviathan I've been finding the mid to late game a bit lacking. It doesn't have the built in historic kicks that say Hearts of Iron or Crusader Kings has. I still think that Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai has one of the better end games in this sort of game with how it does its realm divide. We're trying to do a bit of a B5 style end game with how Ascension and the threat of final war works. Stellaris did add a "war in heaven" mode to Leviathan, but it's a more central mechanic in LoR from the start.

---

@McGavin: It can be paused and something we're working on too is a "commander mode" like Dragon Age 1 where commands can be queued when paused. Subsystem targeting and such is done through there.

Speaking of Homeworld one thing we're still playing with is scaling in tactical. We ditched doing the "2x2" "3x3" "4x4" square system when moving from the turn based grid and are doing true scaling, but it does begin to fall apart with the supercapital ships (60km Behemoths beside 100m frigates). So we'll be doing more testing and figuring out what will be best.

Overall though the feel of combat will be more like Sword of the Stars 1.

---

@Fintilgin: The turn based tactical demo can still be downloaded you can see for yourself why directly implementing the MOO2 combat with modern graphics doesn't quite work as well as it sounds like it should. Needless to say though we don't like how MOO: CTS plays out in tactical, so it's not going to be like that.

@Morticia makes me hard: We started making this game two years ago when looking around and going "well we have all of these MOO spiritual successors that don't quite do it or have been in development forever after Kickstarters" despite MOO: CTS we still feel it's the same. Some of the other games have been pretty fun and innovative like Stellaris and Endless Space 2, but they don't scratch that itch. So if it doesn't work we'll be the disappointed ones. That being said it really seems like everyone has a different idea about what made MOO2 great.

Atarask fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 5, 2016

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

Atarask posted:

It can be paused and something we're working on too is a "commander mode" like Dragon Age 1 where commands can be queued when paused. Subsystem targeting and such is done through there.

Now this brings me back in when I was out for the RTS decision.

Atarask posted:

That being said it really seems like everyone has a different idea about what made MOO2 great.

I think that when doing massive galaxies & empires and wanting to take control of world builds would help.
Like allowing the player to design their own loadouts for making a forge world, science world, agriworld, production world etc would be nice. Even if you allowed players the ability to have pre-built load puts so you can get a colony and with one click let it have a long build queue it would be better than most 4x out there. 100 worlds or even thousands wouldn't be a pain to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
That type of build queue system is something we have. You can set up queues, and load/save them for planets. AI can also be set up to do autobuild and moving pops around (your queues override their queues in that case).

So if you want to go really hands off just set AI in the colony or Empire screen to what you want. If you want to micromanage but do it efficiently you load up some queues.

One thing we've heard a bit from some on Steam is wanting to automate combat and ship design to this level. But right now a regular auto resolve system is what we're doing since we really do want to have a "Total War in space" vibe for combat.

• Locked thread