Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Moo2 was my first Space 4x game, so I'm looking forward to this. (On a related note, Moo3 was the first game I ever closely followed the development of, seeing as I'd only had the internet for a short time at that point. Kind of soul-crushing, really).

Hell, you'll be half way there in my book if you can make the science adviser look like Sean Connery. Don't forget the wacky hand gestures too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
So Atarask, this still alive? No site updates and you're not responding to PMs. Oh well :(

ScotchDK
Aug 14, 2008

mmmh, smooth...
Its still very much alive, just a lot of stuff going on behind the scene. :)

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

ScotchDK posted:

Its still very much alive, just a lot of stuff going on behind the scene. :)

Oh cool. Any tidbits or is it boring programming stuff?

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
We're not dead. Just running very much in silent mode. Progress on the new website has been a bit slow. On the coding front it's AI fixes, polishing, and UI updates for the tactical demo.

Mostly programming stuff, one of the things we just implemented is the AI holding off from firing all weapons in a bank if there's sufficient firepower to destroy a target firing only a few weapons. Ex. if you have 5 lasers and only 2 are needed to destroy a ship with crippled armor it'll only fire 2.

Implementing this involved adding some temporary tables, which had an odd side-effect of introducing a bug where you can right now literally swap loadouts with your target.

There's also some oddness with missiles, fighters, and the overwatch mechanics but those are all AI.

Art wise there's been quite a bit of progress, including some new planet types above and beyond the galgen demo in the OP. Planet textures have been revamped to much higher resolution as well. Which really pays off in the tactical scenes.

But to give a little bit of a taste of some of the stuff you'll be able to toy with in the tactical demo:

This wallpaper is actually using our old planet effects from the first demo.

The above is a fleet scale chart as well. Needless to say there's a few sizes that don't fit on the scale chart that are absent.

A Katraxi logo wallpaper. Basically fitting the Kzin/Kilrathi/Klingon K-warrior species archetype.

http://p3d.in/jKk1E

Finally, the above is a .p3d link to the human strike fighter to give a good sense of what it looks like.

I Am a Communist: PMs are a platinum member thing so that's why I wasn't getting them.

Also as a bit of a comment on the debate surrounding MOO2/Stardrive in earlier posts:

We're not doing an exact 1:1 clone. You can probably liken this game to a cousin of Stardrive 2 and Predestination in that there's different emphases on what to alter from a similar core. Some fundamental things such as our focus on the elder species' cold war to make the end game play better (a huge issue with MOO2 and derived 4x games) is much more like how say Sorcerer King plays out with asymmetrical gameplay.

The build queue nightmare we're solving through macros and AI priorities (like Endless Space). So you can do custom build lists and load/save them or let the AI try to manage the colony. This is particularly important since our largest galaxy size (Legendary) is insanely huge. There's a few projects that are quite proud about insane galaxy sizes as options, but in the end it comes down to gameplay and we might reduce the maximum number of stars. (currently 1024 max divided over 12 major factions including the elder species and potentially 5 minor ones)

We want to keep micromanagement down if players don't want to deal with it and instead want to focus on the big picture.

As for tactical, we're doing a very MOO2 style system for tactical combat. However, we're making enhancements in the sense of making smaller ships more useful, flanking and overwatch being some of the major things along with armor facings. Similarly, things noted here about repulsors and similar devices are planned.

We're not developing this in a vacuum, we're playing Stardrive, Endless Legend, Distant Worlds, and all of these other games and seeing what works and doesn't work mechanics wise. There's some cases where there's some interesting features that we'll either have to implement as content patches or stretch goals for crowdfunding since we want to avoid too much feature creep.

Since mobile keeps coming up. Our plan is to first release for PC/Mac/Linux. iOS and Android are planned after that, but we'll be doing some design adjustments and things such as down sampling effects and textures for those platforms.

Atarask fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 11, 2015

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Great post, thanks for the report.

Swap load out would be a cool pirate tech or alien gimmick. :allears:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I wish you well even if I've been making GBS threads on the genre. If you can pull off a decent game despite all the baggage that space 4xs bring then more power to you.

One thing I will say though, if that if you need macros to make planetary build ques not be insufferable then you've seriously hosed up the design of them. If you're seriously planning 1000 star games then a player is going to be spending a ton of time in the build que. Just abstract that poo poo away.

Also, enormous maps are part of the baggage that sinks games like this. Fans of the genre beg and bray for them, but they only work for a gimmick game once in a while since they are tedious as all gently caress.

Sorry I'm such a grump. I guess my heart has just been broken too many times. :(

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Bug Squash posted:

I wish you well even if I've been making GBS threads on the genre. If you can pull off a decent game despite all the baggage that space 4xs bring then more power to you.

One thing I will say though, if that if you need macros to make planetary build ques not be insufferable then you've seriously hosed up the design of them. If you're seriously planning 1000 star games then a player is going to be spending a ton of time in the build que. Just abstract that poo poo away.

Also, enormous maps are part of the baggage that sinks games like this. Fans of the genre beg and bray for them, but they only work for a gimmick game once in a while since they are tedious as all gently caress.

Sorry I'm such a grump. I guess my heart has just been broken too many times. :(

I kind of like the idea of templates to keep AI from building 30 pleasure domes for no reason on my war worlds. *shrug*

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I am Communist posted:

I kind of like the idea of templates to keep AI from building 30 pleasure domes for no reason on my war worlds. *shrug*

I do too. But it isn't worth making the game a tedious poo poo-slog for.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Bug Squash posted:

I don't blame you at all :-) We're going for a classic space opera vibe and there's always a balance when it comes to streamlining and micro management.

When it comes to build queues we want to make it pretty easy to use. Ideally when you settle a world you should be able to name it and set a planet priority from a pulldown menu. If you want to get micromanagement intensive you can then do your own saved queues or manually build everything.

The same philosophy also applies to how we want to handle stuff like heroes and mercenaries. We're keeping it down to earned perks instead of leveling up skill trees (so if you want a character to have certain skills, have them do certain things). With that said, we might do skill trees down the road depending on feedback.

Edit- We fixed the weapon swap bug yesterday.

Autofire has also been re-added into the new weapon system but doesn't at the moment seem to be taking in all of the attack bonuses.

But here's a recent image of a frigate and destroyer facing off:

Also since I didn't see this from Glass of Milk earlier:
"If they built in the ability to have one cool mechanic per ship no matter what era or size, I think that would be a cool thing. Suddenly you don't have 20 ships with laser I versus 20 ships with laser II, but you almost get class based abilities like X-Com or something."

It's something we've discussed since a big thing is our wanting all ship classes to be useful. At the moment small ships like frigates get better beam defense bonuses and beam attack bonuses against bigger ships which also couples well with things we've added like flanking.

A more XCOM like class ability for each ship class would be an interesting thing to work in but an issue of figuring out what would work well for each class.

Atarask fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 16, 2015

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Atarask posted:

A more XCOM like class ability for each ship class would be an interesting thing to work in but an issue of figuring out what would work well for each class.

This would be cool what also could be cool is to have race unique abilities per ship class per race. But that might be too complicated.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
I think doing sets of custom techs for each species will come first, but to avoid feature creep that will be a content patch. We want to go with a strong core before adding a ton of bells and whistles.

But speaking of bells and whistles, here's a peak at the Tharrn our reptilian species:

Tharrn female. Well if we added snake boobs like XCOM I'm sure we'd have a successful Kickstarter, maybe a million dollar stretch goal?

The Tharrn are sapiophages, meaning that they eat other species in the game. Pretty high reproductive rate but have food production issues. So think MOO2's Sakkras combined with 3's Ithkul but hungrier and angrier.

One of the things I've been working most recently on is converting models of our aquatic species, the Selach:

The water tank texture is animated.

Also we have these pics and more on the Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/LordofRigel?fref=photo

Atarask fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 4, 2015

ScotchDK
Aug 14, 2008

mmmh, smooth...
I'm one of the 3D Modelers/Concept artists on the game, and I'm going to show you some of the things i been doing.

Right now I am pretty much just taking our Spaceship Modelers hard work and ripping it apart to make debris for when they get blown to pieces.

So here is what happens when i take this nice looking Human Battleship:

And then completely ruin it:

And because Atarask forgot, we also have a twitter https://twitter.com/LordofRigel

DaveCG
Nov 5, 2009
This is looking quite good, I'll have to keep my eye out for release!

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
So to answer the elephant in the room, yes we do know about the new Master of Orion, and we're viewing this a bit like we're Xenonauts to their XCOM. I am looking forward to playing Bulrathi and Mrrshan again (and quite happy that they didn't pull a MOO3 and kill off species they didn't like from what it seems) but I think people will get a kick out of our species and new directions for gameplay mechanics which are quite their own thing while also trying to provide gameplay a little closer to the originals with updated visuals :)

Edit- Updated the OP with some more current screenshots and links to the galgen demo.

Here's an update though on the new planet textures which are 4k resolution, so the game looks significantly better now than the first demo does: (not that the old planets looked particularly bad)

Also, a bit of an update on how the Selach fleet is progressing:

Also to give a sense of programming progress, quite a few bugs on missiles were fixed last night. They were having some issues where if larger than frigate ships moved the missiles kept trying to target their old location since the grid coordinate system didn't update.

Atarask fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 11, 2015

ScotchDK
Aug 14, 2008

mmmh, smooth...
I will be mixing things up by switching between the debris models and some of the concept art I was responsible for.

So today we have some Building Concepts. It was quite an interesting challenge for me, having never done anything like it before, and having limited 2D artistic skill :v:.

So this was the ideas i suggested for the Xeno Agriculture.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I hope that starts are more workable/balanced than MoO2 because nothing pissed me off more than trying to play with my friend and all I have around me are gas giants and a toxic tiny shithole.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Atarask posted:

So to answer the elephant in the room, yes we do know about the new Master of Orion, and we're viewing this a bit like we're Xenonauts to their XCOM. I am looking forward to playing Bulrathi and Mrrshan again (and quite happy that they didn't pull a MOO3 and kill off species they didn't like from what it seems) but I think people will get a kick out of our species and new directions for gameplay mechanics which are quite their own thing while also trying to provide gameplay a little closer to the originals with updated visuals :)

Edit- Updated the OP with some more current screenshots and links to the galgen demo.

Yeah I'd like to see the direction you guys are taking it. Your ideas sound cool especially with the Babylon 5 esque two elder races meddling in things.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Decrepus posted:

I hope that starts are more workable/balanced than MoO2 because nothing pissed me off more than trying to play with my friend and all I have around me are gas giants and a toxic tiny shithole.

Something we've discussed is making sure within starting fuel range at least one minimal or better planet is there. On average if a planet isn't as fertile there's more minerals but you can be stuck with a ultra poor inferno hole if you're really unlucky :)

The main thing is if the game is playable. For instance Sword of the Stars has some great space monsters but losing your homeworld turn 20 to specters isn't fun. Situations like that we want to save for "Wolf 359 moments" in the mid to late game. Since at that point it's a fun setback and hopefully not frustrating and causing a restart.

Anyway for a small update, here's the Tharrn fleet minus superships (to scale):

Also a screenshot of missiles working in a nebula:

Also a .p3d of the Selach starbase which we just finished up:
https://p3d.in/GGy0n

Their starbases generally are major trading hubs.

Atarask fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 14, 2015

ScotchDK
Aug 14, 2008

mmmh, smooth...
So while E3 is still going, let me make an announcement. A sneak preview of exclusive pre-order DLC Katraxi debris models!

Nah just kidding. Here is a Katraxi Battleship, and what happens when you apply several high-yield payloads to the reactor:

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Figured I might as well show off some of the work being done on the early research lab concept. It'll be a bit brighter but this should give a general sense for the feel of the room:

Also, some Tharrn wrecking the day of some Tulocks. The Tulocks are our silicon based species who live in extreme environments.

Quite a few bugs have met their end today, but one new one got introduced. Right now Ion Cannons are a little too awesome as if they do a critical hit on a small ship that explodes it causes a stack overflow error and crash. So instead of just a powerful weapon they've become universe-destroying weapons!

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
On a tactical demo progress update: We've basically sorted the grid movement issues with cruiser class ships. There's also a nice little hologram that appears at the destination when you're moving your ship.

Missiles are mostly working, there was a small issue with missiles acquiring new targets that's sorted. Now it's mostly cosmetic stuff.

We're also working on a radial menu for subsystem targeting. When you see the demo you'll probably get a quick sense that it's quite like tactical in MOO2 but there's a bunch of new things to add some more depth even at this early stage. Armor facings, flanking, overwatch mechanics, and subsystem targeting should add quite a bit of depth to the mechanics.

Also, here's what the Selach look like when facing off against the Katraxi:

A little wallpaper showing off the silicon based Tulocks fighting the Katraxi (Kats are evil, everyone should hate kats and be free from plasmodium brain parasites).

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
So, as something not quite ready for public consumption here's a video showing off the current state of the tactical demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPAdxUYvM0o&hd=1

Here's the Human battleship:
Human Battleship (View in 3D)

Also looks like the video propelled us to #16 on IndieDB, which didn't last long (down to #42 at last check) but still pretty awesome.

Atarask fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 26, 2015

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Appreciate the updates on development.

How are you planning on doing crowdfunding? Early access, kickstarter, or ???

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

MOO2 had stuff like launching salvos of missiles, cloaking, then coming in at a ship from a facing where its shield was down, or using the time device to take a double turn. Teleporting away from fighters. Using tractor beams to hold the enemy in place and board them. Or giving up on trying to stay ahead in the ships race, and just get great ground tech so your assault shuttles would be insane and you could steal good ships from the other guys.

None of it amounted to a really awesome tactical combat game, but it made the design part of the game more interesting. If you were thinking about how these different systems and abilities would interact, that made designing ships more than just 'ok, I need this shield booster, and this beams booster, and then as many beams as I can have'.

Even if it still just ended up as deathstars full of plasma beams.

Very much this.

GalCiv2 has way better AI and probably much better balance (I was a kid when I played MOO2), but the sheer banality of spending 8 turns researching "Red Laser III" (which is 1 mass point smaller than Red Laser II!) so that you could fit one more Red Laser on your ships that already have 4 will never hold up to self-destructing your own ships to knock-out enemy shields on one side and using crew-killing ion blasters to soften resistance for your boarding shuttles.

It's amazing to me that every "successor" to MOO2 seems way more fixated on replicating the colony management worker shuffle and human-wearing-makeup aliens than what was far and away the most fun part of the game.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Avasculous posted:

Very much this.

GalCiv2 has way better AI and probably much better balance (I was a kid when I played MOO2), but the sheer banality of spending 8 turns researching "Red Laser III" (which is 1 mass point smaller than Red Laser II!) so that you could fit one more Red Laser on your ships that already have 4 will never hold up to self-destructing your own ships to knock-out enemy shields on one side and using crew-killing ion blasters to soften resistance for your boarding shuttles.

It's amazing to me that every "successor" to MOO2 seems way more fixated on replicating the colony management worker shuffle and human-wearing-makeup aliens than what was far and away the most fun part of the game.

particularly when the sid and marty krofft aliens from moo1 were clearly superior

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

What MoO2 truly lacked was broadside-only weapon mounts. :getin:

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Glass of Milk posted:

Appreciate the updates on development.

How are you planning on doing crowdfunding? Early access, kickstarter, or ???

We'll be announcing a Kickstarter down the road. The plan for the Kickstarter is to give backers an expanded version of skirmish mode as an immediate perk. The demo in that video will be available sometime next month (assuming bug fixes continue at a good pace). The expanded demo will have more species, more techs, and more ship classes. Plus backers at regular tiers will get access to full beta or alpha.

Decrepus- We did consider adding port and starboard guns but other than flavor it'd be more limited than just Fx or Bx arcs. Some species we'll set up the AI to prioritize broadsides. Maybe even the aquatic Selach.

Even then, tactical should involve a bit more placement strategy. Flanking and subsystem targeting are pretty big new features and overwatch allows normal weapons to do snap-fire on hostiles that are moving.

As for our aliens, the concepts here should give a good sense. We have a combo of "rubber masks" fitting with the Star Trek and Babylon 5 vibe and a few much more alien species. The Katraxi and Tharrn are pretty humanoid but quite a few of the others are pretty alien. The silicon based Tulocks for instance go between motile and non-motile life phases. Even then we're fleshing out the species a bit more than other 4x games, without getting into "Tali sweat" creepy levels of detail.

On the tech tree, it's pretty close to MOO2's progression but we've tried to add in some harder choices on the technologies. James and I (the two leads) have been dissecting some of the current other Moolikes out there including Stardrive 2 to see what works and what doesn't in how everyone has approached tech trees.

So it's definitely not a case of "Laser I, Laser II" we're trying to make it so each tier's weapon types have specific roles. Techs do become obsolete in some situations (damage absorption means lasers are pretty terrible against shields by mid game but are great as point defense against missiles).

Atarask fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 27, 2015

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
So a few new things to show off this Monday including part of one of our new ambient music tracks:
https://soundcloud.com/rhombustudios/ambient-track-45

Much like the research lab, advisor reports on spy activites are done in the espionage room and here's some early sketches:

...and finally some of the early sketches of the Human spy advisor:

Okay as a super secret goon exclusive here's a bit of a further along sketch of the spy:

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Selach v.s. Tharrn. Aka the Bad Sushi war.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Atarask posted:

Selach v.s. Tharrn. Aka the Bad Sushi war.

Looking good! I like the looks of the races and ships.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Took a little hiatus over the 4th on forum stuff, but we've been chugging away at the demo still. Tons of bug hunting.

Of course, obligatory bug joke about our obligatory insectoid race the Aranids!

We've shown off the Tulocks before, but here's their fleet scale chart:

@Iamacommunist: Most have turned out well. Right now the Xantus are being a bit tricky. They're our shapeshifter/spy species. We're trying to work in something with playful shapes that looks stealthy but they've been a huge challenge to do so far. Almost as tricky as the Humans... and trying to get the humans right was a nightmare.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
So, showing off the Selach fleet:

Also, some of the other habitable planet types: (well Dead worlds aren't exactly that habitable anymore...)

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Here's how the new website is shaping up, which will be coming much sooner than later:

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Atarask posted:

Here's how the new website is shaping up, which will be coming much sooner than later:

This would be good. The other site is rarely updated and those forums aren't the best. I get more info off of your posts here than the current site. I'm liking all the progress though!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Is there going to be ground combat? I know it never really happened in MoO2 (click Bombard:99 button) but I really liked watching the little guys blast each other the one or two times I saw it happen.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
@IamCommunist We stopped updating the old site around January once we knew we were extensively revamping it. We've been sticking to Facebook and twitter for our daily updates and there's a lot of material on both!

@Decrepus Ground combat is going to be done just like MOO2. You build transports and once planetary defenses are down marines get deployed that do the little shooting game. There will be marines, powered armor, hover tanks, and mechs as options. Some species like the Katraxi are going to be very good at ground combat. Others like the Tharrn are mediocre but ground combat is essential to capturing population which they eat. So as the Tharrn invading planets and using freighters to ship captured colonists to industrial worlds to be eaten to increase morale we're hoping will be a common tactic.

Anyway, speaking of the Katraxi here's a rough sketch of how their diplomat is shaping up:

I'll be showing off a lot more of these in the coming weeks. The Selach soldier in particular is a good, crusty, angry looking fish.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Here's what the Human characters turned out like:

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Tiny update, showing off the Katraxi destroyer's model:
Katraxi Destroyer (View in 3D)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
So we're right now migrating the new website over for its debut.

Correction, the updated website is live:
http://www.lordofrigel.com/

But to show off something new, here's the surface of an Ocean type planet where you construct buildings on its surface:

Atarask fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 24, 2015

• Locked thread