Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Space 4X as a genera would be a thousand times better if MOO2 had never existed.

There, I said it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Singing Sunflower posted:

You monster. How do you live with yourself?

Imagine a world in which a new space 4x game was designed to be a working system rather than a laundry list of "features" taken from MoO2. What if people thought to themselves: "actually, a ship designer would just be pointless busy work in my game", or "do I really need 22 different kinds of lasers"? What if game devs went to any of the countless non-space strategy games for inspiration, rather than making MoO2 clone #137?

It would be a better world, and all it would cost us is one really good game. All we need to do is finish researching Temporal Engineering, and *believe*.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Nordick posted:

Actually ship design is one of the most fun parts of 4X space games.

When it's appropriate to the game, and done well.

The problem is that it's always there, even if it makes no drat sense, like in endless space and galciv (not the model builder part though, that was rad as all hell).

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I wish you well even if I've been making GBS threads on the genre. If you can pull off a decent game despite all the baggage that space 4xs bring then more power to you.

One thing I will say though, if that if you need macros to make planetary build ques not be insufferable then you've seriously hosed up the design of them. If you're seriously planning 1000 star games then a player is going to be spending a ton of time in the build que. Just abstract that poo poo away.

Also, enormous maps are part of the baggage that sinks games like this. Fans of the genre beg and bray for them, but they only work for a gimmick game once in a while since they are tedious as all gently caress.

Sorry I'm such a grump. I guess my heart has just been broken too many times. :(

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I am Communist posted:

I kind of like the idea of templates to keep AI from building 30 pleasure domes for no reason on my war worlds. *shrug*

I do too. But it isn't worth making the game a tedious poo poo-slog for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Singing Sunflower posted:

So the new Master of Orion is out in early access, and mostly people are just complaining about them not having turn-based combat. Time to reverse the boat and corner the market, right?

God no. These projects fail because nostolgic dorks think good design is just making a laundry list of "features".

Make the combat engine that works best for your game, not some rose tinted memory.

• Locked thread