Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hahah, oh, wow, rad.

So, yeah, everyone's either been flipped or roleclaimed but one, which Bowie was yuming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Yuming, it was great to finally play a game with you. You ruined everything for me, and I should have killed you that last night. Good win~

Allen, you are way better at Mafia than you're willing to give yourself credit for. Trust your reads more!

Antivehicular, I hope you had fun with your first SA game! I like your style and hope you stick around and play more Mafia here!

Squid, I wanted to kill you N1, and now I know why. You were on point from the outset of the game, and that first cop investigation was, imo, one of the major things that contributed to town's victory.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Yeah, Squid literally investigated both scum. Had he not it would have been much more difficult. Still, it went to LYLO so.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Abyssal Squid posted:

Haha, I was pulling my hair at your "I'm the Doctor, really guys!" routine because 1) I'd investigated you the night you killed me and 2) if we had both a cop and a doctor, you would have been roleblocked the instant you claimed, but you managed to buy a fair bit of time with that trick even if it didn't get you to the finish line.

It was fun knowing how to play town, but now I'm concerned about my META OH NO, if I always play a super strong town game that'd make things rough if I ever get assigned a scum role. Also, it might not be super safe to appear ultra-townie when you've got a power role, but I feel like I pulled off the balance about as well as possible, especially considering my lucky hunches for investigations.

Finally, it'd be cool if every mafia game had pronouns in the signup, I figured yuming was a she but Chic Trombone and Antivehicular I had no clue (I'm a he, btw).

Hahaha, I figured as much. Having that PR and a very absent scumbuddy made it a pretty uphill battle for me. I didn't think I would win, but I had a lot of fun with the gambit. When I did it, I actually thought to myself "haha, I bet Squid investigated me N2 and knows I'm completely full of poo poo." I hope to play more games with you where we're on the same team.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

EXAKT Science posted:

Allen, you are way better at Mafia than you're willing to give yourself credit for. Trust your reads more!

I appreciate that. I think it helped that this was something more of a low-volume game (note my current flailings in Consumerism and Just Post.)

Abyssal Squid posted:

Finally, it'd be cool if every mafia game had pronouns in the signup, I figured yuming was a she but Chic Trombone and Antivehicular I had no clue (I'm a he, btw).

This leads into this:

Allen Wren posted:

Honestly, I was about to pull the trigger on Anti (which is loving hilarious for reasons I will not get into right now), but that is a drat good question.

The hilarity is that Antivehicular and I are a couple and she got me into Mafia in the first place by telling me these insane stories of games she's been in and run on other forums.

Also, this game inspired me, in the near future I'm hoping to run a game where the roles are all players in LA's music scene circa 1976.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Blargh, that's right -- setups with both a Cop and a Doctor would have had a scum roleblocker, wouldn't they have? I'm way too used to playing in games where the setup is opaque or semi-opaque. I should have double-checked. Still, it was a good Hail Mary attempt, just one with a lot of flaws.

I thought of correcting people on pronouns, but honestly, I've been called a dude enough on the Internet by now that it doesn't really faze me. As long as you're not insisting that I have to be a dude and I and the mutual friend who has met me in person are both lying, it's not the worst I've seen.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Ffff I am sorry if I misgendered anyone at any point

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Epsilon Plus posted:

Ffff I am sorry if I misgendered anyone at any point

I don't think anyone really did on a serious level, I think the point was just being raised because there were moments where people didn't know what pronoun was appropriate.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I have two nonbinary friends so I try and stay on top of those things. I don't think I really referred to anyone with a pronoun other than "they" though so...

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Also! I actually did assign flavor/roles randomly. It's kind of funny that Jareth and The Thin White Duke both ended up being scum though. If I ever run David Bowie Mafia II I'm going to be sure to have the Duke be some kind of scum role. It's really amusing that you all kinda converged on that idea separately.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

sorry to ep and exakt for being garbage, snowpocalypse and holiday retail hours :(

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Epsilon Plus posted:

Also! I actually did assign flavor/roles randomly. It's kind of funny that Jareth and The Thin White Duke both ended up being scum though. If I ever run David Bowie Mafia II I'm going to be sure to have the Duke be some kind of scum role. It's really amusing that you all kinda converged on that idea separately.

Hahaha, whoops. I was actually a little worried about breadcrumbing David Jones, since I didn't know if he was going to be seen as someone who was trying to kill off the Bowies or someone who was trying to protect them.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Tremendous Taste posted:

sorry to ep and exakt for being garbage, snowpocalypse and holiday retail hours :(

No worries TT!

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Tremendous Taste posted:

<3 it's coo <3

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
This was a fun game! I appreciate the smaller size and lack of ~role madness~ for sure.

I was loving husband David Bowie. But because my beautiful wife isn't in my brain I have no powers.

I hope you all keep playing, gg.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

If anyone cares, these are the role PMs:

quote:

Epsilon Plus wrote on Nov 22, 2014 00:18:
Abyssal Squid, you are David Bowie, Loving Father!

You are Good David Bowie Cop, and your love for your son enables you to investigate one player each night phase to determine their alignment. You win when all threats to David Bowie are eliminated. You also have a daughter, but this has no gameplay effect.

quote:

Epsilon Plus wrote on Nov 22, 2014 00:19:
BrainParasite, you are Major Jack Celliers!

You are Good David Bowie with no special powers. You win when all threats to David Bowie are eliminated. You also have experience with escaping cells in Japanese POW camps, but as you are only trapped by unconsciousness, this has no gameplay effect.

quote:

yuming, you are David Bowie, Loving Husband!

You are Good David Bowie with no special powers. You win when all threats to David Bowie are eliminated. You also have an incredibly attractive supermodel wife, but she's not in your brain, so she has no gameplay effect.

quote:

Allen Wren, you are David Jones!

You are Good David Bowie with no special powers. You win when all threats to David Bowie are eliminated. You also get phone numbers from all the girls, but this has no effect on gameplay. Sorry, hot stuff.

quote:

Epsilon Plus wrote on Nov 22, 2014 00:20:
Chic Trombone, you are Thomas Jerome Newton!

You are Good David Bowie with no special powers. You win when all threats to David Bowie are eliminated. You can also recover from crippling alcoholism and television addiction, but you're still not going back to your home planet no matter what you do - you're trapped in your own head, and this has no gameplay effect.

quote:

Epsilon Plus wrote on Nov 22, 2014 00:21:
mr.capps, you are David Bowie, 1987!

You are Good David Bowie with no special powers. You win when all threats to David Bowie are eliminated. You can also win a personal victory and feel a little bit better about your life if you can get anyone to admit the Glass Spider tour was any loving good, but it wasn't, so you actually don't have any alternate win conditions or any other gameplay effects.

quote:

Epsilon Plus wrote on Nov 22, 2014 00:22:
Tremendous Taste, you are Jareth, the Goblin King!

You are Bad David Bowie with no special powers. You win when you and your scumbuddy EXAKT Science control a majority of the town, or when nothing can stop this from happening. You are also particularly skilled at contact juggling, but this has no effect on gameplay.

Your scumdoc is here.

quote:

Epsilon Plus wrote on Nov 22, 2014 00:22:
EXAKT Science, you are The Thin White Duke!

You are Bad David Bowie with no special powers. You win when you and your scumbuddy Tremendous Taste control a majority of the town, or when nothing can stop this from happening. You can only post in David Bowie lyrics excepting all material from the album Heathen unless quoting the song A Better Future because all that cocaine has loving wrecked your cognitive functions. You can tell your scum buddy TT about this so he can laugh at you. You can also throw darts in lovers' eyes, but this has no gameplay effect.

Your scumdoc is here.

EXAKT reneged on his PR and I allowed it because I thought actually having a PR in a simple game would be stupid. He probably would have won had he not come up with the idea. Heathen was a lovely album.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Epsilon Plus posted:

Heathen was a lovely album.

I love you and this game, but you are all kinds of wrong.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"All that cocaine has loving wrecked your cognitive functions" is the best reasoning for a post restriction I've ever seen.

(I'm kinda negative on PRs at the moment. I played an all-PR game where someone got modkilled for basically not amusing the mods enough; it was a complete shitshow.)

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

I love you and this game, but you are all kinds of wrong.

Realize that you have taken a position defending the song "I Took A Trip On A Gemini Spaceship".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Epsilon Plus posted:

Realize that you have taken a position defending the song "I Took A Trip On A Gemini Spaceship".

That's a cover and Bowie can cover whatever drug-fueled fever dreams he wants.

Toy might have been the better record, had it been polished and finished, but I am a total sucker for "Slip Away", "Slow Burn" and "Everyone Says Hi."

• Locked thread