Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Don't ever say I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready, if that only means there's eight players. I'll never say that's better, that's better, that's better than nine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I'm kissing babies all up in this piece, I'm like a gubernatorial candidate or something. Only some of them cried!

In other words yep got it.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

mr.capps posted:

Hi my name is david bowie

Is your name David Bowie or is it GOBLIN KING???

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

Yeah, that's one of the things SALR does, so I assumed it might be the cause.

Check this poo poo out.

(Apparently it's part of the base forums experience now. Kids these days! :argh:)

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

So how about some content, we've only got 27 hours to figure out which David Bowie is Jareth and who his goblin minion is before they take out Ziggy Stardust.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah, only thing I have to go on is flavor, and depending on the moderator that can give away power roles so pushing for that can be seen as pretty scummy. Then again, having nothing to work with at all is even worse for town than getting their power roles nightkilled, so it'd probably be best to share flavor information without being explicit. I'll go first, my flavor is a part of David Bowie's personal life that I wasn't even aware of but I also thought until a year ago that the line in Ziggy Stardust was "rubber messiah" instead of "leper messiah," so I'm not exactly up to speed on the guy. It's not one of his characters or anything, so it'd be helpful if someone chimed in to say "I'm Ziggy Stardust" or at least "I'm one of his famous characters" so we know if those are a thing in this game. I know that's not much to work with, but the more we learn about everybody's flavors the more we know what's safe to share.

For what it's worth, this is only my second game of mafia and I was lynched day 1 in my first, so I'm still not really up on the meta or anything. :v:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

yuming posted:

This is an open setup, and flavor shouldn't make roles guessable-- so there's really no reason to share, or not share, aside from fun :sparkles:

Good point, also there's a 1/4 chance that there's no town roles anyway. I just figure it gives people something game-related to talk about and generate content with. So in that spirit, I'm David the Loving Father of a son who definitely isn't a piece of poo poo. And a daughter too I guess.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

That looks like a reasonable case for a first vote but with only 5 votes to hammer I don't want to hop on immediately. I'll lay down a vote later tonight, but first I gotta make dinner.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

If you were trying to vote you have to do it in in bold, with two hashes, like this:

##vote BrainParasite

Also that's a semi-real vote. I'll switch to a lurker later tomorrow if there are any, and to capps if he's posting nonsense and there are no lurkers, but I have no idea wtf that post was.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Epsilon Plus posted:

This is a game of Mafia with a F11 setup (http://mafiawiki.notesmash.org/wiki/F11). Each player is a part of David Bowie's personality, vying for control of his addled brain. The fate of one of the greatest rock stars is in your hands!

quote:

F11 is an open setup for 9 players. There are four possible variations, and the mod RNGs it once signups are closed. The four variations are:
1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Doctor, 5 Vanilla Townies.
1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies.
2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies.
2 Mafia Goons, 1 Doctor, 6 Townies.

As with C9, each variant has an equal probability of occurring.

One of the setups is 7 vanilla town.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Oh whoops, I mean town POWER roles. :v: An all-scum game would probably be interesting but yeah.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Okay taking another look, BrainParasite has all of three posts, including signup and confirmation. I'm comfortable keeping my vote on him unless it means the day ends in a no-lynch. Wish there was more to work with :/

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

We're two short (Antivehicular's vote isn't being counted because he put in a space), yuming and EXAKT switch your votes or somebody else vote for BrainParasite. I mean I'd vote for capps but effectively pushing for a no-lynch like BP did is really scummy, we can vote for capps tomorrow if nobody else really sticks out.

yuming, Allen Wren, and Chic Trombone all come off pretty strongly town, BrainParasite strongly scum, and EXAKT Science I'm getting a weak scum vibe (the bandwagon vote for capps was innocuous, but posting without switching to a better lynch candidate as the deadline approaches is suspicious). No read on capps, Taste, or Antivehicular but I'm not expecting a read on capps.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Just laying that all out there in case I get nightkilled, I have to go and won't be back before the deadline.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Well that was unexpected, but it was nice of scum to kill mr.capps for us so we didn't have to lynch him ourselves? :confused:

Of everyone we've got left, EXAKT Science, Tremendous Taste, and Antivehicular feel the most suspicious to me. EXAKT hasn't said anything other than quoting lyrics (we all wrote those together you dope :argh:) and is voting reactively. Tremendous Taste has all of one post for day one, with no vote, and no case except an unsubstantiated "I don't like EXAKT's vote" though to be fair I don't either. Antivehicular hasn't done much in general, and he cast an invalid vote though it probably was an accident. My gut says he's PROBABLY town, but that might just be the Runaway Five avatar talking.

Allen Wren and Chic Trombone don't give much to work with but they worked to avoid a no-lynch instead of passively letting it happen (though I guess a certain town lynch isn't much worse for scum than a no-lynch), while yuming got the ball rolling in the first place.

So I'm gonna ##vote EXAKT for the time being and see what happens from here.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Okay I was gonna wait until just before the deadline to spill it, but I'm the Cop :cop: and the flavor of my PM indicates that there's probably a Doctor too, so I probably get roleblocked or killed after this. (idk why I bothered with that last clause there but w/e I'm keeping it in) I investigated Tremendous Taste last night and he flipped scum. Seeing Tremendous Taste come to EXAKT's defense strengthens my suspicion that EXAKT is probably scum, and there's nothing else to go on so we'd might as well stick with EXAKT (or go for Taste, it won't bother me none). Yeah I'm falling on my sword here, but I figure with one scum hit out of two scum total it's a fair trade.

Also, I pushed for EXACT over Taste because there was a stronger case to be made just based on available evidence. I was hoping to get some people saying things, but I GUESS NOT. Help me out here Allen :v:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

DAVID BOWIE, THE LOVING FATHER OF HIS SON DUNCAN (also his daughter Alexandria but that has no mechanical effect (also his kids were born 29 years apart what the hell man))

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Chic Trombone posted:

Also, assuming you are telling the truth, don't post your PM or parts of your PM. That's usually grounds for a modkill

Is paraphrasing it okay? I wasn't copying it directly :ohdear:

Also idk why I didn't switch to Tremendous Taste after revealing I was cop, at least this way we have an immediate moment of truth.

##vote Taste

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Oh, because there's still 26 hours until the end of Day 2 and that'd put us at -1 is a good reason. Don't want to quash discussion early.

Also that picture was one I just trawled up from the google, it wasn't from my PM. Found it in the Daily Mail.

## unvote

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Sorry I'm posting a bit erratically right now, I thought the deadline was tonight and I'm going to be on the road right around 7, so I didn't have time to think clearly. Worst case scenario, I get lynched or modkilled and I flip cop, which is not much worse than getting nightkilled or roleblocked for the rest of the game.

Re modkill: I thought the prohibition against posting your role PM was to avoid making arguments based on the exact syntax and formatting of the PMs, not because there can be information in the flavor. Yeah, if people quote their exact role PM and compare them for discrepancies that gives town an unfair advantage, but I figure it has the potential to help both sides equally if you figure out some additional information from the flavor.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah I'm fine with extending the vote, I doubt we'll get much more information but there's no real sane alternative.

And yeah, Antivehicular I figured it was an accident because people screw that up all the time, and I had to triple check that there wasn't a space. Hell, my response to BrainParasite was reminding him that Votefinder is really picky assuming he was casting an actual vote.

Everyone have a great Thanksgiving! :)

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Well the deadline was extended to tomorrow, but that's our hammer. :redhammer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Haha, I was pulling my hair at your "I'm the Doctor, really guys!" routine because 1) I'd investigated you the night you killed me and 2) if we had both a cop and a doctor, you would have been roleblocked the instant you claimed, but you managed to buy a fair bit of time with that trick even if it didn't get you to the finish line.

It was fun knowing how to play town, but now I'm concerned about my META OH NO, if I always play a super strong town game that'd make things rough if I ever get assigned a scum role. Also, it might not be super safe to appear ultra-townie when you've got a power role, but I feel like I pulled off the balance about as well as possible, especially considering my lucky hunches for investigations.

Finally, it'd be cool if every mafia game had pronouns in the signup, I figured yuming was a she but Chic Trombone and Antivehicular I had no clue (I'm a he, btw).

• Locked thread