Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

C

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

C: RIP AND TEAR

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Claim the lump.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
D Let's remove it from it's sweet ride first.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
C

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
D. Disengage, get rid of bugs, then check it out at your leisure. I'm pretty sure half a shark can't swim all that well, I wouldn't expect it to get very far.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Let's try to C what's actually going on.

I'm glad I waited to read this until after I'd zerged through Paradise Lost. It's a lot of fun, and it makes much more sense with a bit of context :)

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
You chuckle to the fearful lump, now attempting to writhe free from your grasp. Bringing the strange mind-burrowing tentacles to bear you menace them at the quaking thing before plunging them into the would. It struggles and thrashes a bit, but the tight confines of it's nodule keep it from escaping. You get a firm grasp on what feels like a hard shell. A flap clamps shut but it is of no consequence. You pull the creature from the corpse, the shark twitches and thrashes a bit as something snaps inside, but then all resistance drops away as the little thing inside releases itself. The rotten shark begins to sink and you let go, shaking off the terrible little biting worms. You look at your prize. How curious, it looks like one of the nautilus, its markings are strange. You do no recognize this one's clan. It doesn't matter though, soon you will know everything. The fine bristles wriggle underneath its armored shell and into it's mind. It looks at you in terror as it all goes black.

You are Enoch. Fifth in line to the High Priest of the Depths. Your nautilus clan, The Betrayers, have served the Hunger of the Depths for generations. In its sleeping wisdom your tribe has learned many things. The command of flesh. An end to simple death. More terrible secrets and ancient ways than you can even keep track of. This knowledge has not come without sacrifice. The loss of form, forever bound in shell. The loss of color, forever marked in one shade. You almost gave up your minds, as many other tribes have done, but another way was found. Though Hunger slumbers, it is never sated. When His great gullet rumbles, your clan rises from the depths to drag another beneath. There you slowly feed their essence to The Hunger and dream of many things. At least, the High Priest does. You are fifth in line, and should have been devoured for your tiny size, but in the dreaming before life you stole a secret from the teeth of Hunger. You can live within the dead and make them dance. Such is a skill few of your clan can perform. On the day you were to be fed you hid in the body of a giant eel, sunk to the depths to rot and feed Hunger. You burrowed into its head and swam away. At least you tried, you did well enough to survive the blades. They gave you task.

The tribe had recently run low on sacrifices and The Hunger began to rouse from its slumber. A great wave shuddered through the depths. The remaining captives were hastily sacrificed while many swam into the maelstrom of the wake to find those hapless to be caught in the wake over the depths. The sharks had begun to feed, as was their right by birth and some of the tribe were lost, but eventually an entire pod of displaced sand-shifters were captured. They were quickly subdued with net and strange mystic power and brought to the depths. Hunger shook a second time before the first was sacrificed. Hunger was sated for now, but we must be sparing with the captives. The sharks are hungry and whisper of something large swimming in the reef. Something new. The High Priest knew. I was ordered to parlay with this creature, keep it from the depths at all costs. Fathe... The High Priest fretfully stroked his scepter, emblazoned with that pretty, cracked stone. He gave me the largest dead shark we could find, something to scare the beast and protect my ascent I hope.

I swam for days while other scouts of the clan explored. I was to meet with them when I felt something in the dead sharks mind. The High Priest spoke with it. We were to meet on the plane of Leviathan, where the last great beast tried to make battle with one of the things from Below. There I waited for a while. I couldn't see it, but I heard High Priest talking with the invisible thing. I didn't see it until it was too late. A whirling maw of tentacles and armor appeared around the shark and began to crush it. It was screaming at someone I couldn't see and then it split open my hiding spot. Thin tentacles wormed inside and yanked me away. I couldn't hold onto the shark, oh Hunger its going to eat me. Father! Hunger! Save Me! What is it doing?! OH HUNGER PLEASE ITS INSIDE MY MI-----

You are Enoch. Fifth in line to the High Priest of the Depths. Your nautilus clan, The Betrayers, have served the Hunger of the Depths for generations. In its sleeping wisdom your tribe has learned many things. The command of flesh. An end to simple death. More terrible secrets and ancient way....

After several loops of this memory playing over and over you eventually black out. The feedback becoming too strong for you. The Nautilus slips away from your slackening grasp as you hang limp in the water. Your family is alive, at least. Maybe. But you know where they are and who took them . It is not a comfort where they have been taken and who they are going to feed but you have time at least. You hope. Rosoce flicks at your eyelids, keeping them from shutting completely. You are so hungry, too hungry to hear what Roscoe is saying. He shouldn't be saying anything, you devoured him. What is it, Roscoe, what do you want? You look around, trying to get your bearings. You...

A) Hey Boss that shark looks pretty good, now I know you don't do dead stuff, but trust me, after you let me help I promise it will taste worlds better. Also free shiny rock?
B) That little rascal is getting away though. Maybe you shouldn't let him go. Pitiable meal but at least he's living. Hurt your folks too. Might want to get him.
C) Might have time to do both, but you can't get a big meal out of that shark. Looks like its drifting down that canyon you can't get in. Bet you can grab that tooth and go after the jerk. Gonna be hungry boss. Wouldn't like you hungry boss, trust me ha ha ha....oi
D) You know we could listen to the jerk. Eat that shark and just go about our lives. The fam's dead anyway, maybe. Why bother. We got some crabs to knock around, eh?
E) YOU ARE DEAD ROSCOE, SHUT UP AND LET ME THINK!!! I AM SO HUNGRY AND THIS SHARD HURTS! USELESS I NEED TO FEED!!!!!
F) I know toots, but hang in there. Maybe we listen to that other voice. You know the one. That crazy voice that tells you to stuff you never even thought of . Wonder what its saying right now? (write in)

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 3, 2015

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

E Shut your gob Roscoe! You don't exist!

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
A

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

A, get that shard!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A Maybe we'll be able to track the little bastard back to his friends and eat free the fam.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
C. Grab the rock. Push the corpse away from the canyon and then go grab that Shelly fucker. Come back if there's time

Oh, hi Roscoe, sup brah?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A Eat the disgusting corpse.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

A: Free shiny rock? Count me in!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Dammerung posted:

A: Free shiny rock? Count me in!

Someone say Shiny?

A

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
A

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

A

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

quote:

| <paragon1> UPDATE CUTTLEFISH GAME
| <Arkanomen> it is dead
| <Arkanomen> :<
| <paragon1> :(
| <paragon1> well I figured
| <Arkanomen> I don't have time anymore
| <paragon1> we had a good run
| <Arkanomen> new job is crazy
| <Dammerung> That we did!
| <paragon1> Christie lives on
| <paragon1> in our hearts
| <Arkanomen> I wrote into a corner
| <paragon1> the part that wants to consume everything
| <Dammerung> It happens to us all, no worries!
| <Arkanomen> Basically you get another shard
| <~Diog> arkanomen, can I write the end?
| <Arkanomen> roscoe lives on in your mind
| <Dammerung> And you did an amazing job, considering the abrupt nature of the origin
| <Arkanomen> Oh
| <~Diog> ASHERAH RISES FROM THE DEPTHS AND EATS EVERYTHING. THE END.
| <Arkanomen> if you want Diog
| <Arkanomen> actually yes
| <~Diog> lol
| <Arkanomen> you go to the depths
| <paragon1> lol
| <Arkanomen> confront the cultists, fight a horrible giant creature
| <Arkanomen> only to realize that it is just a parasite on the world spanning hunger that is Asherah
| <~Diog> dun dun dun
| <Arkanomen> It opens a single eye, many, many times larger than you
| <Arkanomen> and simply laughs
| <paragon1> I eat the eye
| <Arkanomen> then you escape with your family
| <paragon1> and the laughter
| <Dammerung> Poke the eye!
| <~Diog> can I post that in the thread?
| <Arkanomen> Go for it
| <Arkanomen> You cannot eat the eye
| <Dammerung> :c
| <Arkanomen> its lids are continental shelves
| <paragon1> that sounds like quitter talk to me Arkanomen
| <Dammerung> drat that is huge!!
| <paragon1> Christie is an eating champ
| <Arkanomen> It constantly births new life forms
| <Dammerung> It's a mommy c:
| <Arkanomen> only to devour them as quick as they spawned
| <Arkanomen> It is the source of all life
| <Dammerung> It's a bad mommy :c
| <Arkanomen> and the end of all life
| <Arkanomen> It is hunger
| <Arkanomen> and hunger, never sleeps
| <paragon1> I eat the life
| <paragon1> and the sleep
| <Dammerung> We can do that now?!
| <paragon1> and the hunger
| <Arkanomen> You would have had a chance if people voted to go full hunger
| <Arkanomen> you would become like asherah, eating everything in your path
| <paragon1> stupid assholes
| <Arkanomen> growing larger as you fed until it awoke
| <Arkanomen> and then consumed you
| <paragon1> I eat the consumption
| <Arkanomen> you have died on the trail
| <Dammerung> That seems like what it was doing
| <Arkanomen> of consumption
| <paragon1> that's what we needed, the ability to devour concepts
| <Arkanomen> It would only do so every half billion years
| <Arkanomen> it would let life grow, change, only to add a spice to the meal
| <Arkanomen> It was a dead end one shot
| <~Diog> Asherah sounds like a dick.
| <Arkanomen> :L
| <Arkanomen> It is the biggest fish in the sea

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

RIP Roscoe -- You would have died anyway, if it makes you feel better.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Christie decided to return to his home planet*

*Note: Christie died on his way back to his home planet

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
We should have eaten a bunch of humans, evolved ourselves some lungs and marched on a human city.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Outrail posted:

We should have eaten a bunch of humans, evolved ourselves some lungs and marched on a human city.

Alternate path:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Get that thing away from me.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Arkanomen, you have a great CYOA with people following it and enjoying the story. It's your story, end it as you see fit. Thanks for working hard on it, we've certainly enjoyed it.

You're not really letting anyone down, this is a volunteer activity that you picked up. Thanks for the entertainment and the effort.

Ubern00b
Nov 4, 2009
Chiming in to say that I like(d) this CYOA very much. Thanks for writing as much as you did, don't view it too much as a let down, it's more like reading a fantasy series intended to be 7 volumes and the author quits after #5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Ubern00b posted:

Chiming in to say that I like(d) this CYOA very much. Thanks for writing as much as you did, don't view it too much as a let down, it's more like reading a fantasy series intended to be 7 volumes and the author quits after #5.

I find it easier to pretend he died, to be honest.

Long live the king

• Locked thread