Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I liked this post: http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/undocumented-immigrants-arent-who-you-think-they-are/

Long story short, there isn't any rising number of undocumented workers, many have been here quite a long time and a decreasing proportion are Mexican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."
Don't bring your fancy numbers in here, Skeesix.
What, are we supposed to believe that each and every brown person in this country didn't cross the border with a bag of cocaine up their anus? That most of them just have expired visas and the lawful system is broken and slow? Unacceptable!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

fade5 posted:

No seriously, this poo poo is so drat weird to me, it's like watching somebody being scared that the sky is blue or that the leaves change color in the fall.

Kris, baby, the Hispanics will not ethnically cleanse you. I can state this with fact because I live in what you apparently consider a post-apocalyptic racial hellscape: I live in a majority-minority neighborhood in the 63% Hispanic city of San Antonio.

I've posted this picture before, but seriously, race relations are not a goddamn zero-sum game; look at what San Antonio does every year at our annual Fiesta:

Everybody comes together and has a giant two-week long party with events, parades, alcohol, the whole shebang, and it's a hell of a lot of fun (and a traffic nightmare, but it's so loving worth it). I'm not saying San Antonio doesn't have racial issues, but we can somehow put aside most of our problems every year and just come together and have a giant party that crosses every racial and gender line.:toot:

Also yes, that is a Hispanic guy with a mustache wearing a giant sombrero unironically. Welcome to San Antonio, you ain't seen nothing yet.:getin:

Yeah, if anything I found San Antonio a kind of whitebread even if most of the people you see are Latino. I mostly had to stay around downtown but it certainly didn't seem a city with a racial edge to it at all. Even the Alamo seemed real low key when you would fantasize it would be a "flash point" of Mexican versus Texan "nationalism" or something ridiculous like that.

To be honest, most Latinos assimilate quickly even compared to other immigrant groups in the early 20th century, almost all the people this order covers are people who have been here and many of whom want to live here. When I was walking in San Antonio on Sunday, I saw Mexican-American family just walking home (so basically the norm for SA), the dad was older and wearing more traditional ranch style clothes and his son in a clearly brand new army uniform, and both seemed very proud of his new career. How is their existence going to result in America falling apart (regardless of how you see the military)?

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 25, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, if anything I found San Antonio a kind of whitebread even if most of the people you see are Latino. I mostly had to stay around downtown but it certainly didn't seem a city with a racial edge to it at all. Even the Alamo seemed real low key when you would think it would be a "flash point" of Mexican versus Texan "nationalism" or something ridiculous like that.

To be honest, most Latinos assimilate quickly even compared to other immigrant groups in the early 20th century and almost all the people this covers are people who have been here and many of whom want to live here. When I was walking in San Antonio on Sunday, I saw Mexican-American family just walking home (so basically the norm for SA), the dad was older and wearing more traditional ranch style clothes and his son in a clearly brand new army uniform, and both seemed very proud of his new career. How is this going to result in America falling apart regardless of how you see the military?

I don't think San Antonio is going to "switch sides" any time soon.

The Mexicans mostly got that out of their system around the 1920s. In (I think) 1922 the US started caring about citizenship, and you were only guaranteed citizenship if you were white. The Mexicans here quickly realized that the only way to get rights is to be citizens, and the only way to be a citizen is to act white. Then that kinda crumbled in the 60s, and you have the current system.

In general though you're right, I think there was a study which said that it took a German immigrant in the 19th Century about 100 years to start speaking English as a primary language at home, whereas for Hispanics it takes about 10 years.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

computer parts posted:

The Mexicans mostly got that out of their system around the 1920s. In (I think) 1922 the US started caring about citizenship, and you were only guaranteed citizenship if you were white. The Mexicans here quickly realized that the only way to get rights is to be citizens, and the only way to be a citizen is to act white. Then that kinda crumbled in the 60s, and you have the current system.

In general though you're right, I think there was a study which said that it took a German immigrant in the 19th Century about 100 years to start speaking English as a primary language at home, whereas for Hispanics it takes about 10 years.

Well it is pretty obvious that "acting white" is still going on, and in general, that quest for acceptance and better living standards through assimilation very much still exists. San Antonio obviously is much softer edge than LA for example, but even in LA, questions of race are still much softer than they were back in the 90s.

The big issue for the US isn't going to be too many immigrants but too few though, and we need immigrants if we are going to avoid the fate of most of Europe or Japan.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Ardennes posted:

Well it is pretty obvious that "acting white" is still going on, and in general, that quest for acceptance and better living standards through assimilation very much still exists. San Antonio obviously is much softer edge than LA for example, but even in LA, questions of race are still much softer than they were back in the 90s.

Speaking as someone from San Antonio, the Hispanics don't "act" white and if you told them they did they would look at you strangely.

fade5 posted:

Sidenote: My official stance on immigration is "amnesty for all, and open the border to everyone". I'm completely serious; the US is a nation of immigrants, it's what makes us great. So yeah, this executive order is good, but doesn't go far enough.:twisted:

I finally found the person on the Internet who shares my view! :hfive:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I'm all for open borders. Green cards right away for the willing.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Vahakyla posted:

You may be surprised to learn that this is actually the conservative intelligencia's opinion on the issue.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

You may be surprised to learn that this is actually the conservative intelligencia's opinion on the issue.

So they can trample wages, yeah, but I'm also for simultaneous expansion of unemployment cover and health care to make transition workplaces easier.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Vahakyla posted:

I prefer to actually enforce laws against employing illegals, and increase the penalties, to 100,000 dollars a head. Also I want to give concerned patriotic citizens who report such transgressions a piece of the pie, along with local law enforcement. (mostly I am joking, but you do have to wonder how the rights base would respond to such a proposal).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

My Imaginary GF posted:

Really? I haven't seen it other than in conjunction with burning all safety nets.

• Locked thread