Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Add Perry to the list of suing

Well, Perry is gaining experience with separation of powers legal issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Zeitgueist posted:

It's amazing how angry states that have the smallest amount of illegal immigration get.

I mean California is far and away the biggest by numbers and the only people I've ever met who get super angry in SoCal are suburban San Diego conservatives Tea Party types.

You should see how upset people are about invading foreign hordes here in cleveland.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Awful Sandwich posted:

It's pretty funny/depressing. This is the Big Bad takedown of Democracy? "Congress won't do poo poo, so until they do, I'm going to do everything that I legally can."

:bahgawd: "SMACKS OF ANTICHRIST TO ME!"
If Obama does it it's illegal.

The Cruz Corollary of the Nixon Dictum.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Obama will make a legal declaration that in America people will not be rounded up and massively resettled if they are good citizens. At the same time he is increasing vigilance in law enforcement for people who actually commit crimes and improving border surveillance.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh good here's King to sneer at us.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Doesn't he have enough legal trouble?

Also... isn't he pretty much done as governor? Weird.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Willa Rogers posted:

I still don't understand what the tech-workers clause is; are they allowed to overstay their visas, or will the program be expanded? :confused:

Here's the relevant section.

There more in that particular order about student visas.

Here's the DHS page with all the orders: http://www.dhs.gov/immigration-action

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
:qq: where's the compassion for the constitution!

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

McDowell posted:

Obama will make a legal declaration that in America people will not be rounded up and massively resettled if they are good citizens. At the same time he is increasing vigilance in law enforcement for people who actually commit crimes and improving border surveillance.

I saw the word obama in that paragraph, therefore it must be evil.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Looking forward to people calling Republican governors RINO's for not seceding from the union.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Joementum posted:

That'll do. I'd prefer an actual expansion of visa slots, but that might actually require Congressional action.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Even when the GOP wins a midterm, the tears will flow :allears:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

Even when the GOP wins a midterm, the tears will flow :allears:

Obama isn't acting like the GOP won. He needs to learn his place in government and to quit one-upping Congress on issues.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

My Imaginary GF posted:

Obama isn't acting like the GOP won. He needs to learn his place in government.

He's actually doing rule 1 of the Republican party, never ever admit defeat. Obama can never fail, he can only be failed

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

Obama isn't acting like the GOP won. He needs to learn his place in government.

Man, if I had heard some guy threatening to sue me for being the President, I'd do the same thing.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
oreilly just straight up told an illegal immigrant that he doesn't deserve to be in america to his face

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

If we make the illegals legal then that'll just make more illegals come to the country in the hopes of getting amnesty from a Democrat president. Also you need to e-verify everyone in the country because the dreamers are foreign nationals that have raped, killed, and maimed American citizens. Here in Sacramento, we had two deputies shot by deported illegals, you probably can't understand that over in Washington DC.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Alexzandvar posted:

He's actually doing rule 1 of the Republican party, never ever admit defeat. Obama can never fail, he can only be failed

It's kind of incredible that "defeat" for the republicans has become "we didn't get 100% of our racist madness approved"

Topsy Kretts
Mar 5, 2007
I was tasked on asking you goons this from a friend - What does this mean for current undocumented immigrants (that are > 16yo)?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

DARPA Dad posted:

oreilly just straight up told an illegal immigrant that he doesn't deserve to be in america to his face

This is the insanity of the right wing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

420DD Butts posted:

Bill is such a loving moron.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"The President's illegal legislation is a slap in the face to African-Americans and Hispanics." ~ Louie Gohmert :allears:

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

DARPA Dad posted:

An Irish-American saying that. Is this the smile for cognitive dissonance :psyduck:?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Watching Republicans self destruct over Immigration alone is going to be amazing, the debt ceiling debate is going to be magical.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Where's Barrack Trollbama been all this time?

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
Is it all over already? Or is there still a place streaming the speech/Republican reaction?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

420DD Butts posted:

Documents are the first step to naturalization, and naturalization is the first step to integration. Integration means they'll vote, and probably not for us.

(there is a subset of conservatives who recognize borders as administrative boundaries which require chains of communities to enforce)

Accretionist posted:

Where's Barrack Trollbama been all this time?

With Michelle, sneaking pie at dinner.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

420DD Butts posted:

Don't worry, they'll wrap up the Latino vote by falling all over themselves to undo this any way they can. I bet some amazing bills get proposed over the next 2 years.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Joementum posted:

"The President's illegal legislation is a slap in the face to African-Americans and Hispanics." ~ Louie Gohmert :allears:

Does the man ever say anything that makes sense? I swear, it's like reading Sarah Palin on acid.

fknlo posted:

Don't worry, they'll wrap up the Latino vote by falling all over themselves to undo this any way they can. I bet some amazing bills get proposed over the next 2 years.

Maybe if they scream hard enough, Latinos will finally come around?

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 21, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

420DD Butts posted:

Does the man ever say anything that makes sense? I swear, it's like reading Sarah Palin on acid.

Louie is just sad this will make it harder for him to reintroduce slavery

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

This swings both ways, if the Order stands in Court that means a Republican President can make an Executive Order within the same scope over other laws.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
The weird thing about all the outrage is how much of a middle of the road approach he took. Like if GWB has done this, I wouldn't have thought it odd. More enforcement, keep the profitable immigrants and fine the ones willing to step forward while providing no accelerated part to citizenship. It's the kind of plan my racist Eisenhower republican grandad would have proposed if I'd asked him to pencil something down an hour ago. Not that he'd admit that now of course, but...

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Alexzandvar posted:

Compare his second term to the second term of Reagan

The media and Congress were against him, but it didn't matter because he was a harmless old grandpa.

Obama is not a senile old man, he is taking initiative of the federal government - that is his job. There's no reason Congress can't pass a bill to supplement his efforts to pursue people who commit thefts and other crimes; while deploying 21st century means of securing the border. Why are so many fixated on rounding up people who are living here and trying to get by?

Luigi Thirty posted:

If we make the illegals legal then that'll just make more illegals come to the country in the hopes of getting amnesty from a Democrat president. Also you need to e-verify everyone in the country because the dreamers are foreign nationals that have raped, killed, and maimed American citizens. Here in Sacramento, we had two deputies shot by deported illegals, you probably can't understand that over in Washington DC.

Another GREAT federal effort would be great integration with Mexican Military and law enforcement. Why should we care so much about the line in the sand? The drones and the satellites see it all; technology is going to change LE in the 21st century, criminals get dealt with while the open border fosters economic growth.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Joementum posted:

Thanks!

I was confused at this bit in his speech...

quote:

But even as we focus on deporting criminals, the fact is, millions of immigrants – in every state, of every race and nationality – will still live here illegally. And let’s be honest – tracking down, rounding up, and deporting millions of people isn’t realistic. Anyone who suggests otherwise isn’t being straight with you. It’s also not who we are as Americans.

...given that I'd read this a couple months ago:

quote:

The left is increasingly angry with President Obama, calling him the “deporter-in-chief.” That’s because the total number of deportations during Obama’s tenure recently passed 2 million.

but I like tonight's Obama on the issue better than months-ago Obama. :)

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's adorable how the Republicans are realizing the constitution only means what the supreme court says it means, and they are so very angry they won't be able to make a case against Obama in court.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

quote:

Republicans have said Obama's actions would not only hurt chances of passing an immigration overhaul but also damage his relations with the incoming Republican-controlled Congress.

Mods I am so sorry for my response being an animated gif but holy gently caress.

Rexicon1 posted:

You should see how upset people are about invading foreign hordes here in cleveland.

The chronically porous border between Puerto Rico and Cleveland.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 21, 2014

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

edit: double post sorry.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

All of this seems pretty well calibrated to gently caress with the Republicans, but I can't help but feel like I'm missing some important detail that would make poignant analysis of this possible.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

RuanGacho posted:

All of this seems pretty well calibrated to gently caress with the Republicans, but I can't help but feel like I'm missing some important detail that would make poignant analysis of this possible.

Obama is playing 11 dimensional chest against an obstructionist congress- slowly inching them for months towards lunacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Topsy Kretts posted:

I was tasked on asking you goons this from a friend - What does this mean for current undocumented immigrants (that are > 16yo)?

Did they immigrate before or after they turned 16?

• Locked thread