Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I just did The Wrong Doctors and man, was that really, really good. A very complex story showing the nuances of Colin's arc in the role and some fantastic stuff from Bonnie Langford as well. Had some nice touches of humor as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Astroman posted:

I just did The Wrong Doctors and man, was that really, really good. A very complex story showing the nuances of Colin's arc in the role and some fantastic stuff from Bonnie Langford as well. Had some nice touches of humor as well.

I've heard really good things about this story for what you mentioned. Got spoiled about the coat line, hope it came off well.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I just finished Invaders From Mars and while it was fun it was also really scatterbrained. I think it took about 20 minutes to introduce everyone and it took until the very end for them all to come together. I honestly think the Orson Welles stuff could've been excised (I mean minus him reading War of the Worlds on the radio) for an overall improvement, although I see why the Doctor meeting him would be a draw.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The accents in Invaders from Mars are also really bad, like actually difficult to get past bad. It's an okay story, though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Invaders of Mars is a mess and I had a hard time telling most of the characters apart.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

SynopsisThicker Than Water sees how Evelyn Smythe deals with her departure from the Doctor's side in a story where character interactions trump the throwaway plot and listeners realize just how much Maggie Stables will be missed. 4/5.

I can't recommend this as a story on its own merits, but I can definitely recommend it on the strength of the interaction between the Doctor and Evelyn, and the development of their relationship. As a "goodbye" to Evelyn (she'd continue to appear, but in stories set earlier than this one) it's really quite touching, and that little cameo at the end is just wonderful.

The_Doctor posted:

Invaders of Mars is a mess and I had a hard time telling most of the characters apart.

It really is a mess, I did quite like the invaders becoming a squabbling old married couple at one point but then they just kinda jumped straight back into being sadistic, evil, calculating monsters shortly after which made the whole thing feel really weird. The Doctor not grasping he's got an open mic is a really neat bit though :3:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, Thicker Than Water is definitely a worthwhile story for the Evelyn parts, so I can only recommend it to people who have heard a couple of Evelyn stories and feel attached to her already.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Having listened to Terror Firma and Thicker Than Water in relatively quick succession, I'm struck by just what polar opposites they are as stories. Terror Firma is pretty much all plot, arguably too much plot, with no characterization that makes sense or is worth a drat. Whereas Thicker Than Water is a brilliant character piece with a completely laughable plot that you could probably cut out completely without affecting the worthwhile bits of the story very much. And if you've got to have one of those two extremes (and thankfully you don't), give me Thicker Than Water every time. (And not just because Joseph Lidster appears to be determined to stamp out joy and happiness wherever he finds it.)

I recognize and acknowledge the flaws in Invaders From Mars, and I just don't give a drat, I love it anyway. It may be my favorite Eighth Doctor story that doesn't have the words Chimes or Midnight in the title. But I'm a sucker for old radio drama in general and War of the Worlds in particular, and I'm also a sucker for utter ridiculousness (which, come to think of it, is probably why I like Time of the Daleks far more than it deserves, too).

docbeard fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 22, 2015

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

docbeard posted:

Having listened to Terror Firma and Thicker Than Water in relatively quick succession, I'm struck by just what polar opposites they are as stories. Terror Firma is pretty much all plot, arguably too much plot, with no characterization that makes sense or is worth a drat. Whereas Thicker Than Water is a brilliant character piece with a completely laughable plot that you could probably cut out completely without affecting the worthwhile bits of the story very much. And if you've got to have one of those two extremes (and thankfully you don't), give me Thicker Than Water every time. (And not just because Joseph Lidster appears to be determined to stamp out joy and happiness wherever he finds it.)

Lidster's work tends to lean towards "miserable" while Sutton's, from what I've read, is more "bittersweet." "Things are going to SUCK" vs "things can and will be better, just not now."

quote:

I recognize and acknowledge the flaws in Invaders From Mars, and I just don't give a drat, I love it anyway. It may be my favorite Eighth Doctor story that doesn't have the words Chimes or Midnight in the title. But I'm a sucker for old radio drama in general and War of the Worlds in particular, and I'm also a sucker for utter ridiculousness (which, come to think of it, is probably why I like Time of the Daleks far more than it deserves, too).

:hfive:

I grew up on old time radio, thanks to my grandfather (my alter ego is secretly Lamont Cranston, wealthy man about town), so I'm a sucker for this story as well. After Minuet in Hell, it's fun, goofy, and completely off-the-rails. It's not one of the best stories that Big Finish has done, but you can tell the crew and cast had fun making it, especially Simon Pegg "I'm in a bloody Doctor Who episode!" Pegg.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
AND SO MY THIRD DOCTOR ATHON CONTINUES! I'm sure many of you don't even know what the gently caress that is beyond the obvious, others may be surprised at how slow it goes.

All I can say is-Whoops, time got away from me. Regardless! Carnival of Monsters, a weird little serial to be sure, is done and over, and the Planet of the Daleks has been put to rest on the Frontier in Space- leaving only the GREEN DEATH to voyage into.

Going to miss you Jo.

In the mean time, HIPPIES!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Speaking of Jo...

The Companion Chronicles, Volume 3, Episode 3: The Doll of Death

It’s easy to become a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to the “enhanced audiobook” dramas from Big Finish. Frazer Hines so effortlessly switches from among older, narrator Jaime to young, companion Jaime to Patrick Troughon as the Second Doctor that you come to expect a one man show with a bunch of flawless imitations. It’s feels less like he’s doing imitations or reading and more like he’s getting possessed.

Katy Manning may not be that good, but her acting is in this story is very impressive. The years of gravel she’s swallowed allow her to differentiate between herself and the male characters of the story quite easily. When they are not passable imitations, they give the impression of dialogue, which, really, is all an audiobook needs. Most impressive is when she’s reading for the Brigadier; of course she can’t quite capture Nicolas Courtney’s timbre, but she has his inflection down completely. Somehow even more impressive is when she reads for her younger self, suddenly swallowing her weathered, throaty voice and channeling the bubbly companion from the 70s. None of this can be easy to do while still, you know, acting, but she makes it seem easy.

The writing fares well with a similarly difficult task. Jo is a tricky companion to manage. More than a lot of others, the word “assistant” applies very well to her, and some of the things that differentiate her from Liz and from Sarah Jane are explicitly things that make her more of a supporting character. Mark Platt does an excellent job both of capturing Jo’s spirit and of allowing her to come into her own; she consistently demonstrates bravery, initiative, and decision-making, even when she doesn’t understand everything she’s interacting with. She is faced with order and counter orders from the Brig and the Doctor. We get the sense that, to be where it mattered, she intentionally went in over her head and is doing pretty well at treading water.

The story itself involves ghosts, one of the Doctor’s homemade contraptions, retrocausality and, perhaps not shockingly, some spooky toys (and scary dogs). It does an excellent job of capturing some of the horror-focused work of Jon Pertwee’s era, and only occasionally shoves its tongue a little too far into its cheek (”Look at those way groovy boots!”). The Doctor does reverse something, but it is not the polarity. The Brigadier does bluster, but there is still a sense that he and the Doctor primarily get along. For once, the frame story is just a companion writing in her blog and not about some horribly miserable future in which the companion regrettably recalls their glory days (which I really wish the early Companion Chronicles had not done). It's very balanced.

In summary, Jane Goddard and the Foley people provide some good enhancement to a great performance by Katy Manning, with a writer who knows her era well to give her good material to work with. I will admit, it drags a bit in the second half and some of the action described becomes a bit too abstract. The ending, in particular, is a little zany.

Overall, for the impressive acting and faithful (but modernized when appropriate) writing, I rate this story a B.

Takes place in TV continuity: probably between seasons 8 and 9? It seems to me to be early in Jo and the Doctor’s time together, but it’s after she’s had a few encounters with the Master.

Comparable stories: Terror of the Autons for overall feel (minus the Master).

Recommended for: Fans of the Pertwee era (or even those who wanted to like his era but found that the stories often dragged with silly chase scenes), those that want to see Jo have some time to shine without a ton of the Third Doctor’s help.

NOT recommended for: Those who find Pertwee era tedious, people who are very adamant about having their time travel make sense and be explained, anyone who prefers familiar villains or stories in which the Doctor gets most of the screentime.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Revival Day is this Thursday. I still remember watching Rose and the End of the World on Sci Fi....a year later. Thankfully, the delay between UK airing and US airing has dropped to just a few hours.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can distinctly remember being disappointed to find out that the revival wasn't going to have four-part serials with half-hour episodes. Despite having been a fan of the books and DVDs, I quite honestly had no idea what to expect going into "Rose" but it came along at just the right time (i.e. immediately after my other favourite series - Robot Wars - had ended), I think.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

CaptainYesterday posted:

Revival Day is this Thursday. I still remember watching Rose and the End of the World on Sci Fi....a year later. Thankfully, the delay between UK airing and US airing has dropped to just a few hours.

I have a vague and not-entirely-reliable memory of watching Rose as it first aired here in Finland, which must have been sometime in 2006. I remember watching Aliens of London a couple weeks later more distinctly, although I don't think I was paying much attention since it took me years to realize that episode was not called "Pigs of London" and that the little pig in a space suit was not one of the actual titular aliens.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I was drunk when Rose aired here in the United States, because all I remembered from that episode until I saw it again was "drat, Rose's boyfriend looks and acts like he's made out of plastic."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I still haven't seen Rose, because I only ever notice rebroadcasts of Who after they've aired it.

My first episode of New Who was the tail end of Parting of the Ways. My dad and I turned to it on the ABC one night, and didn't really know what we were watching, but we wanted to see why the ABC was showing a modern sci-fi. Eventually we caught sight of the Daleks, and kept watching.

We decided to watch the next season because we mistook David Tennant for Callum Blue, who we liked in Dead Like Me.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I remember all the press and papers getting excited for it, and talking to my mates about it the next day, but I can't actually remember much from Rose. Or Torchwood, come to think of it. That's more likely a blessing, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
More generally, the first season of the revival remains pretty special to me in a way that none of the subsequent ones are. While I'd been into Doctor Who before via reruns and DVDs, I was born a couple of years after the classic series came to an end, so here it was coming back, and I was 13 1/2 and it was for me, if that makes sense. It's really hard for me to explain; I've never exactly had "my" Doctor in the same way that many people do, but season one of the revival is kind of like "my" series. :allears:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Wheat Loaf posted:

More generally, the first season of the revival remains pretty special to me in a way that none of the subsequent ones are. While I'd been into Doctor Who before via reruns and DVDs, I was born a couple of years after the classic series came to an end, so here it was coming back, and I was 13 1/2 and it was for me, if that makes sense. It's really hard for me to explain; I've never exactly had "my" Doctor in the same way that many people do, but season one of the revival is kind of like "my" series. :allears:

We'll always have Christopher Eccleston delivering the line "do you mind not farting while I'm trying to save the world" with the most sincere delivery possible.

I know where you're coming from, though. The show took off in world wide popularity during Tennant's run, but Eccleston was the actor who brought it back. There was something magical about the run from Dalek to The Parting of the Ways when, to me, it stopped feeling like "aw, they're trying so hard" and more like "NOW we're getting some good television!"

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Last time I asked was a bit further out, so I'll bring it up again - anyone else going to (Re)Generation this weekend? Goon meetup? Mass Big Finish proselytizing? Group re-enactments of Timelash?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Holy poo poo, TOMORROW is the 10th Anniversary of New Who!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Holy poo poo, TOMORROW is the 10th Anniversary of New Who!

To celebrate, I'm going to watch the TV movie and remind myself again how incredibly lucky we were the series didn't get revived till 10 years ago. And also celebrate that McGann managed to slip through the worst parts of that and emerge as an accepted and embraced part of the show's continuity.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Do you wanna come with me...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYIu7Qlqh4M

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's basically the question I wanted to hear all my life from the Doctor (ANY Doctor) even though I always knew it wasn't real.

I've always known it's totally real :colbert:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I made a new thread for the 10th Anniversary of the current series.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

After The War posted:

Last time I asked was a bit further out, so I'll bring it up again - anyone else going to (Re)Generation this weekend? Goon meetup? Mass Big Finish proselytizing? Group re-enactments of Timelash?

Yo!

My wife got me VIP tickets for my birthday, including the Sunday morning tea with Colin and Sylvester! I'm there first thing Friday morning (mainly to beat DC-to-Baltimore traffic) until they close the doors on Sunday...

Between the convention, Pillars of Eternity finally coming out tomorrow, the season finale of The Walking Dead on Sunday, and the trainwreck that Wrestlemania is going to be, I am so loving pumped for this weekend.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nothing like realizing you have barely advanced in life in the decade that one of your all time favorite things has been back on the air!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

New thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3708697

• Locked thread