Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It might, admittedly, be so subtle that they don't even realize they did it (since as far as I can tell it never gets signposted later), but there's a moment when the Doctor's looking at the apple that I'm pretty sure is him working out that something's really wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

She says her mum used to put faces on the apples, so I always figured she did that one herself. But your interpretation is pretty good.

Oh, and it fits one other way too! Why did her aunt leave her home alone that night without a babysitter, as the Doctor indignantly points out? Because when she went out, Amy's parents lived there too.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 18, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I SHOULD HAVE NOTICED THAT

When I was a kid, I was SUPER-NEUROTIC about apple brown-ness.

Well, I'll never forget that detail.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I...

I recieved a package today.

I

I don't know

Um

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BSam posted:

You mean like how you mislead him on what grade to give the last episode?

:D

Okay, obviously you're just kidding, but I want to make it clear that I never try to browbeat Occ into changing his grades for those things (aside from Midnight and Turn Left, Jesus Christ). He was hovering between A and B and switched to the latter since I had to explain to him a) how the cracks worked, b) why Amy wanted to rock the Doctor's body ('til the break of dawn), and c) why the moving-Angels scene pissed so many people off. Poor conveyance combined with the myriad issues raised by the moving Angels gave him reason to tweak the thing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I can't get it to open. The BACK opens, but the clock face seems jammed. I don't want to break it, though. And I can hear it faintly, when I put my ear up against the glass when the back's open.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

I can't get it to open. The BACK opens, but the clock face seems jammed. I don't want to break it, though. And I can hear it faintly, when I put my ear up against the glass when the back's open.

And you. I don't think Occ's checked the thread again yet, so edit out that loving "jacket" post.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't know about showrunning but I'd love to see him write for it too. Grant Morrison as well.

Like every British comic writer from the 80s and 90s that Americans have heard of, Morrison did his comics run in Doctor Who magazine. You have a few options for reprints, but none look particularly expensive. Hope you like Frobisher!

You're in this thread, of course you like Frobisher.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ALL HAIL FROBISHER

ALL HAIL THE BIG TALKING BIRD

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I hear he's a master of disguise.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
World Shapers is a Six/Jamie story from before it was cool.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DoctorWhat posted:

ALL HAIL FROBISHER

ALL HAIL THE BIG TALKING BIRD

readin this post with a bag over my head irl

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

No problem. I'm sure you transferred yourself into the watch sometime in the future, and your "watch" self will remind yourself how to open it... when necessary. Meanwhile, just leave it alone. This is how you meant it to be, after all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

docbeard posted:

I'm just glad no one pointed out (as far as I saw) my favorite subtle clue that Things Are Going On, from The Eleventh Hour: where Amy (as a child) talks about her mother cutting faces into apples. But the apple she gives the Doctor must just have been cut (because it's not turned brown yet), implying that her mother must have been erased just moments before the Doctor arrived.

Oh come on, clearly she does it herself because it's something her mom used to do. I swear, sometimes you guys just look to complicate completely straightforw-

MikeJF posted:

Why did her aunt leave her home alone that night without a babysitter, as the Doctor indignantly points out? Because when she went out, Amy's parents lived there too.

:aaa:

Which could also (apart from the obvious scariness of it) be why she's so scared of the crack without really knowing why. Goddamn.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Given the context I think her parents have been gone a while, but it's not like they just vanished isn't a valid interpretation. The universe keeps on going like Amelia has parents even though they never existed so the aunt goes on with her life as though it were normal for Amelia to be off by herself and she keeps the big house without paying the taxes or electric bill.

FWIW, the implication that we were clearly supposed to take away in The Eleventh Hour was that her parents died and she was sent to live with her aunt in England. So it's not unreasonable to miss the hints in Flesh and Stone that her parents had been gobbled up by the crack. Once you make the connection, it's obvious (and I think most people did), but there was another excuse cleverly planted in advance to push that out.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

I...

I recieved a package today.

I

I don't know

Um

If you start to hear Tony Ainley laughing, please put that away.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

I don't want to break it, though.

Say you were provoked.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Gordon Shumway posted:

If you start to hear Tony Ainley laughing, please put that away.

Oh, God. DoctorWhat regenerates into Irish Joe.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DoctorWhat posted:

Are you sure it's broken? Have you actually tried opening it, or are you merely already certain that it's broken. Take another look, to be sure...

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So, just found out Michelle Gomez was in a Big Finish story with the Seventh Doctor, Valhalla.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

CobiWann posted:

So, just found out Michelle Gomez was in a Big Finish story with the Seventh Doctor, Valhalla.

Other Valhalla facts: It's not very good. Not bad or anything, but I didn't enjoy it much. Just seemed like so much dead air.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Fungah! posted:

Other Valhalla facts: It's not very good. Not bad or anything, but I didn't enjoy it much. Just seemed like so much dead air.

You had to say that just before I started it, didn't you? Okay, need to do one more Companion Chronicle first, but still...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
<whispers> I don't think Jubilee is all that.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Trin Tragula posted:

the First Law of Doctor Who Fans: "No substantive discussion group will be able to entirely agree on the merits (or otherwise) of any given story, not even the "except X, that just sucked/rocked" corollary to this law." An excellent example of this is the four segments of a story known as "The Trial of a Time Lord". We generally agree that one of them is a misunderstood classic, one is enjoyable piffle, and the other two are hopeless, embarrassing failures that we should never speak of again. Unfortunately, what we can't ever agree on is which segments go in which category...
It follows, then, that every single opinion about Doctor Who, even the incomprehensible or insane, has to be held by someone.

The_Doctor posted:

<whispers> I don't think Jubilee is all that.

Even that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Fungah! posted:

Other Valhalla fact: The sound effect used to modulate the voices on the aliens physically makes me ill. It's just this buzzing sound, but it makes me nauseous when I hear it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Something Inside is.... oh for gently caress's sake he's got amnesia again. :dawkins101:

This is a story that starts unremarkably, proceeds with relative competence while delivering nothing new, and then FINALLY picks up at the end of episode 3 and delivers a downbeat ending that would fit right in with the 5th Doctor's run on television. Opening in just about the most uninspired way possible, we discover the 8th Doctor has been captured by a sadistic, determined and utterly dedicated rear end in a top hat who has firmly convinced himself that the Doctor is lying to him and means to torture the "truth" out of him. This means, of course, that he wants the Doctor to say what he wants to hear, and no matter how truthful the Doctor's words are he dismisses them as lies because they're, quite simply, not what he wants to hear. It's been shown time and time again throughout both real-world history and within the show itself that torture simply doesn't work - the information you get is unreliable, coming from somebody willing to say ANYTHING in order to avoid the pain they're feeling. It's also been shown time and time again throughout history/the show that the torturer's will never accept that, believing wholeheartedly that torture will bring out the truth because the victims are too hurt/scared of more pain to lie anymore. So how did the Doctor get into this situation? Well he doesn't quite know himself because he has..... sigh.... amnesia. Even the torturer - Rawden - rolls his eyes at this unbelievably trite explanation, and the Doctor himself admits that it sounds really lame... but acknowledging how lame the amnesia thing is doesn't change the fact that it is just that, and boy this is lame.

Cutting back to earlier, we discover that the Doctor was trying to take C'Rizz and Charley to the Festival of Ghana, but instead arrives in a strange building. The time and place is never specified throughout the entire story, though the Doctor will frequently refer to the other characters they meet as human, there is nothing to indicate if this is earth or just some future colony, or what the year is. Discovering a frantic man who is then killed in front of them by his head seemingly turning inside out, Charley and C'Rizz want to get the gently caress out of there, and when a loud banging noise draws closer even the Doctor decides discretion is the better part of valor today and decides that just this once they'll just hop into the TARDIS and get out of there. Unfortunately for them the TARDIS is gone, and the source of the noise - now buzzing unpleasantly - is growing closer and closer and.... then the Doctor is gone, leaving C'Rizz and Charley alone in the bizarre building. They will eventually discover it is a prison called "The Cube", used to house psychic soldiers who were given their powers to help fight some unspecified war, then locked away as criminals when they rejected attempts to use a device to remove their powers (which backfired spectacularly). With their powers muted, the psychics are powerless to escape though they can still read minds in close proximity within the confines of the cell, which is how two of the surviving prisoners - Latch and Jane - locate Charley and C'Rizz. Mildly telepathic himself (I either forgot about this power or it was never mentioned before), C'Rizz is able to shut them out of their minds, and they eventually learn that there is "something inside" the prison with them, a creature called the Brain Worm that seems to feed on the minds of the psychics. Another attack follows, and now C'Rizz has disappeared, leaving Charley alone with the two psychics who insist that the Doctor and C'Rizz must be dead, because they can sense no psychic trace of them anywhere, and nor can the other surviving prisoner, Tessa, who is supposedly the most powerful of all of them.

The Doctor and C'Rizz are alive, of course, and while the Doctor attempts to explain to Rawden that he can feel a "hole" in his mind, C'Rizz is being tortured by Rawden's associate Mr. Twist. Twist is an unbelievably one-note henchman, a sadistic torturer who takes far more pleasure in his work than the more businesslike (but obsessed) Rawden. Twitch is systematic of the wider issue, even with such a limited cast the characters are mostly underdeveloped, and the stressful situations they find themselves in hardly show them to you at their best, so it's hard to care when one of them is threatened or actually killed. Deaths in this story have no impact, it's hard to feel any kind of connection with the characters because they're pretty much just names with little else to distinguish them, and the ones who get the most development (or rather, "screen time", in that they're more familiar) are thoroughly unlikeable people like Rawden or Latch. Given that this is a story about soldiers being treated as disposable, simply discarded or destroyed when they are no longer "required", it makes the casual way they're killed off in this story quite disappointing - every death should have meant something.

Perhaps the reason amnesia stories are so frequent in 8th Doctor audios is because it gives the audience a chance to show the quality of the Doctor's character even without the benefit of his memory of his close relationship with his companions. Despite having no memory of C'Rizz or Charley, when the former is threatened with use of the machine that failed to "fix" the psychic soldiers, the Doctor doesn't hesitate to take his place. That it turns out there was an element of "Don't throw me in the briar patch! :pray:" to this is irrelevant, because the Doctor proves his worth by putting himself in harm's way to save somebody he doesn't even know (or know that he knows). Even without full access to his memories, the Doctor taunts and mocks Rawden for his hamfisted attempts to control him, confidently declaring he will be able to escape this prison, even though he has no memory of escaping other prisoners in the past. The Doctor knows a bully when he sees one, and he knows that no prison can hold him, and such turns out to be case... even when the Doctor freely of his own will goes back IN to the prison. He knows he can escape, he easily turns the tables on Rawden and Twist, but he goes back in because his curiosity (and his need to fill that "hole" in his mind) won't let him walk away. He met the Brain Worm once and it tore a piece of him out, and now he wants to encounter it again - not for revenge, but to try and understand it.

It's at the end of episode 3 that this rather pedestrian story finally ramps things up, and it's pretty much all due to McGann's performance. Having encountered the Brain Worm a second time and suffered a similar setback as another piece of his mind was "taken" from him, the Doctor is still able to use the available information to figure out where the Brain Worm comes from, what it wants, and who is responsible. Once again facing the choice between his own life and C'Rizz's, he is happy to choose to save C'Rizz despite putting his own mind/life at risk. The Brain Worm wants out of the prison just like the other prisoners, and it has figured out that the Doctor is unique enough to allow it to make its escape. To save C'Rizz, the Doctor has to open his mind to another assault by the Brain Worm (one will kill the regular soldiers, the Doctor has been lucky to survive two) and it's all out in the open that it intends to hollow him out and take control of his body. The Doctor's smirking,"Come on then, if you think you're hard enough" is just fantastic, and in a mirror of the earlier events of the story, proves to have been playing his own carefully hidden game all along. It's a fantastic moment, sold brilliantly by McGann, and ramped up my interest in the story immediately.

Much of the fourth episode is dedicated to the moral conundrum facing the prisoners (now including Rawden) - if they escape the Cube, they will be letting the Brain Worm out too, and it will kill every living thing on the planet. If they remain in the Cube, they die. It's a simple enough thing for the Doctor, he understands the implications of their escape and accepts that remaining in the prison is the only option, but it's not only up to him. Charley and C'Rizz aren't happy but understand what is necessary, but both Rawden and Latch are desperate to escape, and since none of them know where the Brain Worm is hiding (leading to a lot of fun paranoid accusations) they can't even let a single person go.... but how can they stop them if they're determined to go? When the Brain Worm finally reveals itself, it kicks into a Moffat-esque haunting repeated phrase of,"Show. me. the way. out" over and over again, which turns out to have a double meaning that only the Doctor is able to work out. That reasoning makes sense given the little bits of data dropped throughout the story, and is somewhat of an earned resolution, even if neither of the characters it affects are really "worthy" of the focus it gives them. In the end, the Doctor and his companions are left facing a situation more familiar to the TARDIS crew during Davison's run on the show, and I couldn't help but think that maybe this might have worked better as a 5th Doctor audio - I might even have been able to buy the amnesia subplot if it was happening to a different Doctor than the 8th. That said, McGann is so strong in this story that it feels churlish of me to wish I could see somebody else in his role, he is definitely the saving grace of this story.

Something Inside is perfectly functional. It is a completely pedestrian, uninspired, but competent story that features a strong performance from McGann and a uptick in quality in the 4th episode that pulls it out of "completely average" territory... but only just. The supporting characters are underdeveloped or one-dimensional, deaths have no impact, and the downbeat ending is (surprise, surprise) a bit of a downer. Charley is criminally underused, and C'Rizz is his usual self which just about sums it all up... though I did love the underlying :stare: factor of his quiet,"I couldn't save anyone" lament at the end of the story, given what we've learned about his view on what "saving" is. If you're looking for a Big Finish audio to recommend, this isn't one, but it's a perfectly fine story to listen to, and you won't regret listening to it.... but neither will you be breathing a sigh of relief that this one didn't slip under your radar. It's.... eh. It's okay.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Something Inside might be my least favorite McGann audio. Such a terrible plot, and I cringe every time McGann says "brain worm", and that man can usually say anything and make me find it interesting. It's like he knows how bad it is as he's speaking it.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Gordon Shumway posted:

Something Inside might be my least favorite McGann audio. Such a terrible plot, and I cringe every time McGann says "brain worm", and that man can usually say anything and make me find it interesting. It's like he knows how bad it is as he's speaking it.

Really? Worse than Scaredy Cat or Creed of the Kromon? I mean it's not good, but daaang those ones suck

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Other Valhalla fact: The sound effect used to modulate the voices on the aliens physically makes me ill. It's just this buzzing sound, but it makes me nauseous when I hear it.

Huh. I remember coming out of it feeling weirdly uncomfortable, but I chalked it up to working a double shift at work that day. That...would explain a lot, I guess.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fungah! posted:

Really? Worse than Scaredy Cat or Creed of the Kromon? I mean it's not good, but daaang those ones suck

Yeah, it's so middle-of-the-road that I'm surprised to hear it garner any kind of strong reaction, whether negative or positive. Other stories have been far worse, particularly Creed of the Kromon or Minuet in Hell.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Toxxupation posted:

Hitler? 1 Rory out of 5

post got edited though and now it says racism 1 rory out of 5

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

post got edited though and now it says racism 1 rory out of 5

I can verify that this had nothing to do with future episodes, as disturbingly coincidental as it looked

And don't any of you idiots get clever with the next several episodes, i want there to be SOMETHING redeeming about the goddamned Silurian two-parter.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

I can verify that this had nothing to do with future episodes, as disturbingly coincidental as it looked

And don't any of you idiots get clever with the next several episodes, i want there to be SOMETHING redeeming about the goddamned Silurian two-parter.

Yeah, that 2-parter is so forgettable and plain and not-very-good but then the ending is incredible so please don't spoil that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Wait which one is Rory?

Like this poo poo. Don't loving do this.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Oxxidation posted:

Like this poo poo. Don't loving do this.

Haha, I was just being silly about everyone loving Rory so much and didn't intend it to be a reference to where his story goes at all. I'll edit it away.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Oxxidation posted:

:smith::hf: :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

At least Toxx won't have the expectations of what the Silurians used to look like to disappoint him when the new look ends up being some green face-paint on a completely human face.

He can be disappointed for completely different reasons!

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

death .cab for qt posted:

I don't really remember all that much about the next few episodes but Rory is pretty cool. Nice to see The Doctor break his own rules and take "family members" along with him for once

OH HO HO.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Toxxupation posted:

there's no "half-Rories", gaz-l what would that even be, that would be nothing, don't be preposterous

That's enough of the *wink wink* spoilers, guys. He's gonna catch on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

I love that we both hate this loving two parter, for both justified and unjustified reasons.

Why the Hell did they have to tack on Rory's death and erasure? Why couldn't that have gone on a GOOD episode to just let us skip the nonsense entirely?

• Locked thread