Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Big Mean Jerk posted:

All I want for Christmas is a decent episode.

Sadly, because you're on the naughty list there's now zero loving chance of this happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

TinTower posted:

Speaking of tumblr, what happened to yours, DoctorWhat? I kinda liked it. :shobon:

Change, my dear. And it seems not a moment too soon.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Dude, Series 8, bar a couple of stumbles, has been a vast improvement and is well worth-watching. Moffat at his Series 5-style best.

I don't agree. Though you should watch Mummy and the episode after it whose title I keep forgetting.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Noxville posted:

Also it's a bit rubbish

I love the Sontaran 2-parter :shobon:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

So lets say I just spent a couple of hours on a Sunday night slightly editing the all Doctors scene from Day of the Doctor, that wouldn't retroactively make me a virgin right?

Depends on the quality of the finished product.

I'd be legit interested in seeing it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bEmE-9K6oPs

Yeah, I know the TARDIS shouldn't be able to materialise inside an older version of itself, but I had to hide the tv camera in the shot, so let's just say a wizard The Moment did it.

I think the image of Matt and One together should come in together a little later. We should see him starting to talk before the flashback so we know that's what were seeing. Without context, it makes it seem like Matt is a ventriloquist.

The clip needs to be inserted when Matt makes the reveal, or Tennant, after the dramatic music has started.

But... I love this idea a lot and the TARDIS hiding the camera is genius.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 23, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

edit: The other option is to stick in it later on, after the reveal of the First Doctor flying in, when the "you might say I've been doing it all my lives" line happens.

I thought about that too. Visually it makes more sense with that line but then the quiter pace wouldn't sit right once all the bombast has started. You could maybe lift that line and move it forward. I'm not sure how much you want to start playing around with sound editing though, I hate sound editing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Little_wh0re posted:

I can't remember now how good it was, but I remember it had a bunch of really good bits

It's easily the best Christmas special and is actually in my top ten for the revival in general.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The End of Time counts, but it's clearly the second best one.

I didn't care for the Snowmen.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Secret Santa stuff will go out tonight, apologies etc. it's been a hell of a weekend.

Thank you for doing this.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Also it's required by the charter that we put contact details for the relevant organizations up whenever we deal with a sensitive subject.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

CobiWann posted:

So what you're saying is the Cybermen didn't survive?

The new series Cybermen couldn't survive a strong wind, so, no.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Weirdly, for a life long fan and amazing actor Capaldi feels like he's taking the longest to find his feet. He still doesn't really feel like a fully realized Doctor to me, though he does on occasion have moments where he does.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I had such high hopes for any future Cybermen story based on that one brief scene.

Such.... high hopes :negative:

I hated that scene. It's exactly what the Cybermen shouldn't be. A zombie inside a robot. The shell shouldn't have any autonomy without the body inside still being alive and ticking, because otherwise it's just a robot powered by blood.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I'd kind of like to see a design for the Cybermen that's almost entirely stripped back. Let's take the head handles and apply them to the entire body, like a sort of power harness crossed with a life support machine.

Darth Vader meets Edge of Tomorrow.

They should be constantly be being pumped with regulatory drugs and pain medicine, so that they sound happy all the time, even though every step is agony, and they have lived long beyond their years.

I'd also kind of like to be done with the idea of Cyber conversion as their end goal; instead they should be a culture and race who are trying to survive forever, but they have lost everything that makes them unique - no art, no history, no society or identity. They don't show up on other worlds looking to convert the population, because adding more numbers isn't the point, they show up looking for resources instead, even if that means body parts or oil or metal.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I suppose the problem is that it's consumed the rest of their character; it should be a prominent secondary ability, but not their main feature.

I can see this, but maybe they convert for rank and file while original Cybermen remain out of the battle? I also like the idea that Cybermen is a name given to them, but they still call themselves Mondasian's. They have an entire armarda that just flies around being constantly patched up, and one of the ships is filled with art and music and real beauty from Mondas that they knew they had to save but none of them can appreciate anymore. They don't make any or really understand it, they just protect its existence.

I always viewed them as a group of people who slowly started to upgrade themselves for every day task and then, when Mondas began to die, fully converted themselves. It's a gradual process, a planet dying, and eventually the conversion had gone so far that everyone started feeling depressed, maybe some of the bodies rejected conversion and were in constant pain but by then it made more sense to just turn off those peoples emotions and keep fighting to save the planet or leave it behind.

By the time they have left Mondas and are in their fleet maybe 90% of them are fully converted and emotionless, and the remainder either dye out or switch off their own emotions when confronted with what's really happened. So you're left with an army of half machine, half people who travel the stars driven by a need to survive and preserve their heritage but it means nothing to them, it's just the only instinct left in their dead minds.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Argue posted:

Who's raggedy now, Pond???

I always thought Matt had a pretty good shot at a post Who career, but I never thought it should be in action movies.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jsor posted:

Since the season is over, how's that not terrible Doctor Who wiki coming, guys?

We got as far as the first designs for the site and then people stopped replying, so I guess it's not anymore.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

I've had other things on my mind, sadly.

Good though, weren't they?

I'm sorry you''re having a bad season pal.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

My pay was hosed up this month and I only got just under half of what I was owed, so my Santee is getting their presents late. To be fair so is everyone else I know.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

"You don't like the clocks in the current opening? Well gently caress you, here's clocks AND GEARS."

:suicide:

The gears are already in the opening.

He's just taken the opening and taken time to render it better and fix some obvious lovely CGI. The problem now is that he's taste for neon and complexity makes the opening segment look like a loving mess.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Matinee posted:

That took me a while to warm to but I loved it by the end. Not anywhere near the league of A Christmas Carol, but then, what is?

This is my exact sentiment. It's my second favourite of the Moffat Christmas specials.

I do worry that Clara will outstay her welcome like Amy and Rory did. I was getting a little misty eyed at the end before the swerve and I can't imagine a better ending for her than what was just teased.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

It's slowly occurring to me that while I like having Kate Stewart around, Jemma Redgrave isn't that great of an actress. She's got this incredibly flat delivery that's starting to irk me.

They should've left her dead in the last episode. She's an abysmal "character." All she ever talks about is her dad.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

CobiWann posted:

Thank you both! The level of discourse in this thread is above and beyond the best for this show anywhere online, and I'm happy to contribute in a positive manner!

(and I love your user name - my stepdaughter and her stepsister got me spatulas for Christmas based on that commercial!)

I'll probably include a review section on the Doctor Who wiki, and I love your reviews, so hopefully you'll be okay with me archiving them/contributing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

CobiWann posted:

Not at all, as long as I don't have to include stuff for the "sex" and "goats" wiki entries.

But they will be our most popular sections!!!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

A guy with an Oscar the Grouch avatar that hates Moffat so much, he may actually be on fire.

:allears: The real evidence this is all a dream is that I really, really liked this episode.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

On paper that sounds pretty horrible and not fitting with the Doctor at all, but I assume the end result of the story would be Jack discovering he had the wrong end of the stick and had misinterpreted what was going on.

Originally the Doctor was the source of Bad Wolf and he was manipulating Rose into looking into the TARDIS so as to travel back into the Time War and wipe the Dalek's out of existence, something he couldn't do as it was part of his timeline.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jsor posted:

So you're going to write crossover Who/Sonic fanfic instead!? :gonk:

"Imagine the Doctors surprise when his screwdriver turns into a loveable blue hedgehog."

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I've been on the Lego Who bandwagon for a few years now. I heard a rumble that Lego and the BBC were talking so maybe some day.

It's one of the proposed sets that got passed in Lego Ideas. Basically fans submit Lego sets and if they reach a certain amount of votes Lego will decide wether to make it. Doctor Who got those votes but the discussion about making the set is on going, probably because of rights issues, etc. We should know in the next month or two if it's becoming an official set.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Well they still have the deal with Character Building whom LEGO hates because it's a lovely knockoff of their product. Maybe once that deal expires we'll get some real Who Lego.

It expired last year, which is why Lego is now considering Doctor Who sets.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The new Dalek paradigm models have been repainted to be darker shades and look a bit better, but they haven't been used on screen yet, just in promotional materials.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

If they wanted to make a literally insane, right wing analogy, purple should have been the way to go.

The new Dalek eye is better when not lit up, as it's literally meant to be an eye. Organic and whatnot:

This is actually my least favorite aspect of the Dalek redesign. I think it's a bit silly and cheap looking.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

No offense man, all the love to you

Never try to be a writer

Just please don't

What does DW want to do? I don't think that's ever come up.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

It is very okay to feel this way in your early 20s in my opinion.

It is. I'm nearly 26 and still feeling out my exact career path.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

marktheando posted:

I preferred In the Forest of the Night to Kill the Moon, if we are talking about series 8 episodes with outrageously stupid concepts. It at least had some fun character stuff with Danny trying to lead the kids.

I wouldn't say that anything involving Danny was "fun character stuff."

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

The character development here was that Danny is really good at flips. :)

He should've flipped over the car that slammed into him so this development had some pay off.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Maybe he did, but at the apex of his flip the moon-dragon flew into him, thus explaining Clara's enormous sense of guilt!

Seems reasonable.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

In the first signs of Goon Drama I guess it's worth clearing up confusion and pointing out that the previous group of Wiki peeps don't know anything about DoctorWhat's new Wiki.

The basis of the one we were creating was to keep each continuity separate and have an in-depth production history/review/behind the scenes side to the Wiki, while having strict control over articles to keep its a family friendly site befitting the show.

Whatever DoctorWhat is doing sounds cool, but it's not the original Goon Doctor Who Wiki.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Kids are dumb. That's why they're kids. I am an incredibly dumb kid.

I fixed this for you. Everyone has a phrase where they believe that all art is pure and can only be judged as some higher level emotional and thematic canvas. But it's bullshit. Some art sucks because it's so widely implausible it can invalidate the weight of its own emotions and themes, and some art sucks because they don't even try to make it good.

Trust me, only a handful of writers in this industry, and I'm speaking from personal experience, actually think what they do is art, the majority just see it as work, and their basically painting by numbers for a pay cheque.

Also, the idea that someone can view art wrongly because it doesn't align to your view point is the most teenage angst faux-deep view its possible to hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

Goddamnit please thread do not break in half

He's older, entitled to his opinion and shilling for his daughter.

Right or wrong I don't think its that big of a deal he holds that opinion.

• Locked thread