Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

My only problem with River is how her relationship with the Doctor goes from her being his peer, someone who can match his wits and challenge him, to her being his desperate, doomed fan. It feels like a weakening of the character to have her be obsessed with him, sad about it, and have those feelings be as one-sided as they are.

Not just in the Library two-parter, but even in Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone and Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang, River is very much the Doctor's equal. As Series Six and Seven go on, though, there's an increasing focus on moments of pathos that just paint her as tragically in love while the stoic Doctor must heroically patronise her so as not to hurt her feelings. It's a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also also, portrayals of suicide on television often correspond with a localised increase in the suicide rate, so those requirements have a strong statistical reason to exist. Like Bicyclops says, people who are struggling can sometimes find themselves considering the act more seriously when they've been exposed to media featuring it, and having the suicide hotline up there can provide them an alternative.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Silver Nemesis is godawful in a lot of ways, but it has the Doctor vexing the Cybermen by broadcasting jazz at them from a nearby hilltop, which he then does a casual tumble down the side of, so you have to give it points for that.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I love Kill the Moon. I also feel like you have to reach pretty hard to get an abortion debate out of it, but we've had this discussion before!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I just saw the episode. Absolutely perfect. It nailed dream logic - in fact, Doctor Who with its wild jumps from idea to idea is maybe the perfect show to do this kind of concept in. Plot holes and weird tonal jumps become foreshadowing - I love it, it's really daring as a concept.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

In un-chronological related matters, is there ANYBODY who actually liked Kill the Moon? Outside of all the stuff that happens between Clara and the Doctor after the main storyline is resolved?

I loved Kill the Moon and thought it was really good. If you're willing to overlook the wonky science (which, I'm watching Doctor Who so of course I am) it's a fun time. I love big audacious concepts so when the Doctor is like, "the moon...is an egg!" I was just giddy with delight, because it's such an amazing ridiculous thing for the show to do.

e: also Kill the Moon has a lot of strong women in it who are important to the plot and get to save the day, which is nice. When the Doctor kisses off and the main cast is pared down to three women who are all well-defined and interesting, that's a good thing and something that almost never ever happens in Doctor Who.

e: also also I loved Courtney and think it would be cool if she came back. Seeing the Doctor with a rough-and-tumble teen companion again brought back pleasant shades of Ace.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 8, 2015

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

See, my problem with it is that it wasn't a "fun time". It was dark, dour, and...well I can't think of another D word but it's bad. The Doctor takes a teenage girl to a moon that may shake apart under their feet, may explode, where she may also be eaten alive by alien spider monsters, and loving leaves? Why would he do that? I know the Doctor endangers the lives of his companions on the regular, but he usually at least tries to help or save them. "Child endangerment" is not usually on his list of fun things to do. And it's certainly not a fun thing to watch.

I'm confused on why you would say this episode is a fun time. Apart from the general "the moon is an egg" concept, what is actually fun about this episode? It's one of the least fun episodes this whole season.

I like cranky Doctor this season, but he was riding a fine line between fun cranky rear end in a top hat and just complete rear end in a top hat. This episode he jumped way over that line.

Do you remember the bit where they destroy a giant space spider with a detergent spray and a yo-yo?

e: or when Clara has to get Courtney to stop putting her adventure in time and space on Tumblr?

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 8, 2015

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Honestly, it's a bigger mystery how Courtney's spacesuit had the room to smuggle an entire bottle of Windex. Or why she brought it along in the first place.

I had to go on a drat scavenger hunt through the episode's intro to find out where that bottle originally came from, it was onscreen for less than two seconds before being revealed as the bane of spider-bacteria.

She...mentions it early on? She was sick when the Doctor took her on a trip in the TARDIS at the end of The Caretaker, so she promises this time if she is sick she's brought something to clean up after herself. How long do you need to hang on the shot of the bottle?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

He probably wouldn't have committed suicide if it wasn't for the actions of an oppressive government (they put him on a forced course of hormone suppressants to try to "cure" his homosexuality, for example), so I feel like, if you did an episode about it, you'd need at least a nod to the facts just on a moral basis. Just to call out, "hey, this was really evil", I guess.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

I'd be fine with the 80s-McCoy. Gimme another story like Paradise Towers or The Happiness Patrol, I'd LOVE that.

What I'm tired of is NINETIES McCoy.

Yeah, I think people are too in love with the inscrutable chessmaster characterisation. That's often been an element of the character in all his incarnations, and it can be really effective with McCoy, but when he's just that, I feel like you're wasting an actor who's also really hilarious and quirky when you let him be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Night Terrors and Curse of the Black Spot are pretty fine, I feel. I agree that the overarching plot in Season 6 doesn't really work and is weak (and I think it makes River a less interesting character to recontextualise her as a brainwashed minion of the Silence), but as has been said, most of the individual episodes are strong taken on their own.

• Locked thread