Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Now I'm a little upset that they didn't do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Now I'm thinking about Spare Parts again and I remember playing Bionic Commando during it.

I played a game where the protagonist has replaced his arm with a robot grapple hook arm while listening to the secret origins of the Cybermen.

How 'bout that poo poo.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

CobiWann posted:

So is showing my stepdaughter Warriors of the Deep the sign of good parenting, or bad parenting?

Just show her the best clip from the serial.

Speaking of that one, Amazon helpfully e-mailed me today to tell me that the Beneath The Surface set is on sale for 26 bucks Canadian. That's a pretty good deal for two Pertwee serials I like and the Peter Davison bonus disc. If I didn't need the money to buy nice things for people for the holidays, I would jump on that.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Metal Loaf posted:

Apparently, this scene might have made a decisive contribution to getting the show put on hiatus because of how bad it was.

The mental image of Michael Grade watching a woman karate kick a pantomime alien horse which electrocutes her and makes her go "aaargh", followed by him saying "yeah I think it's about time we pull the plug on this poo poo" is entirely plausible.

also I'm weak and I ended up buying the Beneath The Surface DVD set after all :smith:

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Hooray, my Beneath The Surface boxset came in! I only have one complaint so far, and surprisingly it's not that the set comes with Warriors Of The Deep. Nah, it has to do with the DVD of Doctor Who And The Silurians.

So this was a 7-episode serial, just like most of Pertwee's first season. 7 25 minute episodes plus DVD extras, so they have it on two discs. That's fine, I have the DVD of Inferno and they do the same thing. For that one, disc 1 has all of the episodes and disc 2 has all of the special features. Makes sense, right?

The DVD of Silurians has 4 episodes plus some special features on disc 1, and the remaining 3 plus the rest of the extras on disc 2. I am baffled as to why you'd make the DVD set this way. If I want to just lie down and watch men in lizard costumes stomp around caves in 1970 for 2 1/2 hours, now I gotta get up halfway through to change the discs? This ain't 1997 with Titanic on VHS, BBC!

Otherwise, now I gotta figure out how to sort this thing, with its stories from 1970, 1972, and 1984.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I unironically kind of like Silver Nemesis, but if you need a reason to like it, it is the only Doctor Who story I know of that has corgis in it.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Autonomous Monster posted:

These things are painted all sorts of different ways- I think there's one up on Rose Street that's lurid pink for some reason.

Sounds like someone's favorite old serial was The Happiness Patrol.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
The thing I remember most about the Flesh two-parter is all of the ethical discussion it spawned in these threads for two weeks.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

DoctorWhat posted:

Rob Shearman described to me his fury and frustration at Arc of Infinity in lurid detail, so I do not envy the kiddo, Cobi.

I want to hear more about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I really like Mindwarp. If only for the return of Sil, BRIAN BLESSED, and that gutpunch of an ending.

• Locked thread