Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

From the last thread:

Davros1 posted:

Andrew Collins plays Barnabas Collins in the 2 full cast Dark Shadows mini-series BF's done.

True, but that casting pre-dated Lidster's "era". Now he did choose to keep it for the upcoming Bloodlust (which with Jerry Lacy, David Selby, and Lara Parker in is pretty much a "must buy" for me), but if I had my choice I'd rather them find a soundalike for Frid. At first I thought the new full cast audios took place in modern times; reading the BF DW forums I now see they take place in the early 70s after the show ended. Which makes the whole "Barnabas and Julia went to Asia and lived happily ever after" thing which has been semi-canonized in fandom kinda impossible. Since he has a new body and all, and is probably going to be a Maggie Evans love interest again. :rolleyes: Barnabas/Julia 4 LYFE. :colbert:

Speaking of the BF forums, people there have recommended Peter Purves as doing a good Hartnell, so I'm dipping into some of his Companion Chronicles since I've pretty much gone through most of Frazer Hines' oeuvre. I always thought Steven was pretty cool anyway, so I'm looking forward to it. I picked up Bounty of Ceres which is brand new so I can hear him after he's had a few years to perfect his performances. Plus it has Maureen O'Brien so it's pretty "full cast" for a Hartnell. And even though (shock! horror!) I was never a huge T Bakes fan, I've started listening to my first 4th Doctor audio, Destination Nerva. So far so good, one episode in!

It really amazes me that as I get closer and closer to being "caught up" in my largely chronological threading through the Main Range that I have so many, many more great audios to listen to over so many other ranges. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

That was a much longer review than I was expecting it to be, sorry! But please talk about Day of the Doctor because it's about the right time of year to do so and holy poo poo was it good!

Hands down one of my favorite episodes of all time. Perfect for the anniversary, fanwanky when necessary but not to the detriment of the story. No matter what Moffat may have done or could do wrong, this episode will always something to laud him for.

I had said long ago I would settle for "The __ Doctors" for the anniversary and nothing less. To that point, I was disappointed that we were only getting a "Two Doctors Redux" but this was tempered by the fact that I knew Tennant and Smith, two of my favorite Doctors, would interact great together.

If all we got was that, and the glimpses of the various Doctors in archival/CG footage in the previous ep, it would have been a fantastic anniversary. But Moffat did so much more...creating a new Doctor, giving us 8 back on the screen, and that was above all expectations. But of course, he wasn't done...we got the 13 Doctors all flying in together which brought it to a whole new level. And just when you're think you're exhausted...bam!..The Curator. I can still recall the roller coaster of emotions I was feeling.

Upon reflection I also am really glad we got The War Doctor. He's a great incarnation with a lot of future story potential, and a good new dimension to the Doctor. As you say, he preserves 8's character too. For whatever reason, I think I actually prefer him to the original plan of having 9 back and exploring his part in the War, or even throwing it on 8.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Angela Christine posted:

By the time they get to the wedding, the Doctor realizes exactly what she really is: a broken little girl that he failed to rescue in time. He feels responsible, and to some extent he really is responsible. If he hadn't been so noisy, hadn't made so many afraid of him, then Amy and Rory's children would probably have been perfectly average.

She'd still have been a Time-Head Baby. :colbert:

Android Blues posted:

My only problem with River is how her relationship with the Doctor goes from her being his peer, someone who can match his wits and challenge him, to her being his desperate, doomed fan. It feels like a weakening of the character to have her be obsessed with him, sad about it, and have those feelings be as one-sided as they are.

Not just in the Library two-parter, but even in Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone and Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang, River is very much the Doctor's equal. As Series Six and Seven go on, though, there's an increasing focus on moments of pathos that just paint her as tragically in love while the stoic Doctor must heroically patronise her so as not to hurt her feelings. It's a shame.

I think it's more a story of how someone can go from imitating someone to actually being their peer or better. Kinda like the way Clara basically "became" The Doctor in the past couple of episodes. Before you had the "Companion as Ideal Companion" with the RTD era, or "Doctor via Intellect Transplant" with Doctor-Donna. River and Clara are companions learning to BE another Doctor.

Senor Tron posted:

That's amazing. I have to believe that Moffat intends to bring Gallifrey back before his time is up, and when he does it will have to call back to that scene.

He WILL show it, and I'm starting to think that's what the calculations we've seen all season are for. At first I thought it was the Doctor trying to find Gallifrey. Now I'm thinking more it's "even the 12 previous lives weren't enough time to get all the calculations finished" so he has to finish everything and show up to save Gallifrey.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Believe it or not, I first saw Blake's 7 airing afterschool M-F on my local PBS station!

I just finished my first 4th Doctor, and Peter Purves/1st Doctor, audios. Both were really good. Peter Purves' Hartnell isn't as good as Frazer Hines' Troughton, but it's still quite good. He does a solid job of channeling his younger self, but Maureen O'Brien really stole the show as Vicki. Uncanny. Even more so then Wendy Padbury's Zoe, if only because of the sheer difference when she uses her "normal" voice narrating.

A lot of people say Vicki is just a low rent Susan replacement, but I always had a soft spot for the Vicki/Steven TARDIS team and that era. This was a great return to form. I'm definitely on board for more Peter Purves audios, and same for T Bakes. The interviews after his were awesome. :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

We're told rather than shown in the space of a few minutes the progression of centuries, during which NOTHING changes except for the Doctor himself. The impact of the Doctor's long wait isn't shown, the small town of Christmas remains almost totally unchanged till the Daleks takeover the Church and then there is just a bit more debris lying around and the odd fire here and there. The society doesn't evolve or change, they remain the same quaint place out of time they were when the Doctor and Clara first arrived. Does the population not change? Do they not have a way to get off the planet themselves? It is a colony after all and not a place of indigenous lifeforms. If it is a farm-world, is this the ONLY town or are there others? How do they farm in a location with only a few minutes of sunlight? How do they farm with multiple alien races constantly attacking the village? But on the other hand I think the location, the theme, the use of narration etc are all designed very deliberately to invoke the same sense of storybook/fairytale atmosphere as was so prevalent throughout the excellent season 5. This is the end of the 11th Doctor's story, and I think Moffat wanted to end it like it started, as a fairytale - from Amelia Pond and the Raggedy Man to The Man Who Saved Christmas.

For what it's worth, the Tales of Trenzalore collection of short stories does give some background on Trenzalore and Christmas, how it's a human colony, how they sustain themselves on a planet of almost constant darkness and snow. And the stories are great to boot. I'd highly recommend it as reading, particularly during the holidays.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Fil5000 posted:

I've just started listening to Rat Trap, and every character is introducing themselves by name and providing their backstory without anyone even asking.

Rat Trap sucks. Seriously. A rare low point in a string of great 5/Tegan/Nyssa/Turlough audios.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Fil5000 posted:

I really liked Heroes of Sontar, mostly because Turlough being a cowardly craven arse is always great. But yeah, I've no interest in the rest of Rat Trap. Seriously, three people in a row just up and introducing themselves after encountering the Doctor and friends in some supposedly abandoned tunnels is really weird and forced. I mean, it's bad enough when characters refer to each other by name for no other reason than to tell the listener their name, when they're going "I'm John and I'm president of the guild of exposition givers" it's pretty appalling.

It's not just that. The monster is disgusting and a little silly. Nyssa acts silly as well. The good news is they get back on track with Emerald Tiger, which is fantastic.

sunsweet posted:

A few months ago, I decided to watch everything in order. Hartnell was really good, Troughton was absolutely great, but Pertwee's not really clicking for me. Should I just give him time? I'm watching The Silurians and there's silly Godzilla costumes and things like that, but it's not feeling like the same sort of fun. For what it's worth, my favourite serials are The Web Planet and The Mind Robbers. I like surreal, fantastical things.

I guess if I think back to my original watch of Hartnell-Troughton-Pertwee I was a bit bored and anxious for them to get off Earth. But the Master stuff is unparalleled, and when they do get out for stories like Carnival of Monsters it's great.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Metal Loaf posted:

Excerpts from the forthcoming second edition of Russell T Davies's The Writer's Tale, in the style of Amanda McKittrick Ros.

I was going to say Gibbon...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Going back and watching Missy's already great scenes knowing she's the Master makes them even better, if such a thing were possible.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Vincent and the Doctor is legitimately one of the best episodes of the revival. Nobody should feel bad about liking it, because it's brilliant and that is a good thing to like.

Agreed. I'm fairly surprised that it actually has so many haters. :confused:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

I hated that scene. It's exactly what the Cybermen shouldn't be. A zombie inside a robot. The shell shouldn't have any autonomy without the body inside still being alive and ticking, because otherwise it's just a robot powered by blood.

Counterpoint: Handles :colbert:

Also speaking of themes, when I listen to them all back to back, 9 and 11s are the best, and the ones I most strongly associate with the revivial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sABWdtN5NV8

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Dabir posted:

Pretty hard not to associate the 11th Doctor's theme with the revival seeing as we had a good four years where it was half of every episode's music.

You say this like it's a bad thing...

Jerusalem posted:

In my mind, there probably isn't nor should there need to be any of the original Mondasians left, they long since went extinct despite their desperation to survive, and what is left is a horrible parody of existence by a race serving an imperative they can't deny but don't understand.

I choose to believe that somewhere out there, Zheng is still tooling around. In his original body, walking around all the upgraded guys in a silver suit like a boss.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

egon_beeblebrox posted:

That'll happen in the 60th anniversary story.

"Well, we can't really have the older actors back, they're too fat. Except Matt, but he's also too big." :v:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Forktoss posted:

Apparently this is a thing that's happening?

I thought this was going to be a Cyberbrig spin-off series at first and then I found out Lance Parkin is writing one of them, so reading this news article has been just a rollercoaster of emotions.

McIntee is another great Who writer. I love how the cover looks like it's some book from 1972 that you've found in a secondhand shop. :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I think Silver Nemesis would be more fondly remembered if it wasn't in the same season as the far superior Dalek episode and was also supposed to be an anniversary episode as well. It just invites too many comparisons.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CobiWann posted:

...for the sake of the story when the older Peri touches the younger Peri, much to the Doctor’s dismay and then surprise at the lack of a big boom.

You mean the part where the two Peris mudwrestle? Ah, fanservice. :allears:

I'm really looking forward to The Locum Doctors. That's the kind of story I've wanted to hear for awhile. Purves and Maureen O'Brien are just so dammed good that the 5th Doctor one will be great. It's also in a very interesting and underserved historical era-the Byzantine Empire. I'm sure will the one with Jamie and Zoe will be top notch as well.

Speaking of Doctors performing other roles, I just finished Afterlife with 7, Ace, and Hex and it was fantastic. That speech the 7th Doctor gave the baddie at the end sent chills down my spine and I really, really would love to hear David Tennant perform it at a convention:

"Fear me...tell this to your "gods." When they punish you. When they stretch you on the neutron rack: I"m still here. I'm not a man, I'm not a human being. I'm a complex Space-Time Event. I am Lord President of Gallfrey. The Traveller From Beyond Time. I am the Sandman, The Oncoming Storm. I am the Ka Faraq Gatri, Destroyer of Worlds! But sometimes...only sometimes...I am your worst night mare.

I am the Doctor. And I take care of my friends."

I love the "Ka Faraq Gatri" reference...that is old school comics/novels indeed. :D

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rochallor posted:

How continuity-heavy is Afterlife? I've been holding off on getting it because I didn't really care for the big Big Finish meta-plot Forge stuff in Gods and Monsters.

Yeah, what Doctor What said. It kinda reboots things, and while elder gods and the Forge characters are referenced (well one shows up too) it's a pretty fresh start clearly designed to begin a new arc.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Barry Foster posted:

That was a great moment, and Sly sells the hell out of it, but I really couldn't see any other Doctor pull it off. None of them are just flat out stone cold enough.

That's why I said Tennant, I think he could.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

edit: Oops, I just realized the talk of archives was in the other other Who thread. Oh well, makes more sense to post this in this thread, so I'll keep it here.

People were talking old Doctor Who talk before the revival, but all that really did was make me wonder how the show was received as soon as it came back here, so I went looking. In case anyone has archives and wants to check out the very first thread of the revival, it's here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1484492

Some highlights from glancing over it.

I'm not sure if he means the episode Rose or the character Rose. Either way...

They're going to have to wait a while there.

Hoping for a toned down performance for the Doctor. Oh dear.

Having archives is pretty fun, y'all.

I don't have archives, but is there anything prophetic (or stupid) that I said? Nothing will top my ranting against Matt Smith's picture, but you never know. :allears:

I finished up another Peter Purves first Doctor Companion Chronicle today, The Perpetual Bond. You wouldn't think a first Doctor audio about 60s London merchantile traders would be interesting, but it was drat good. Stephen audios are rapidly becoming one of my favorite listens.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Well I'll stand by my early support of Rose. My biggest issues with her was how she fell in love with the 10th Doctor, became the Most Important Person In The World (til Clara anyway), and just the whole gadding around the Universe like a couple of smug twits thing. Eccleston Era Rose was pretty good.

CobiWann posted:

Speaking of games...

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:staredog:

:stonk:

just...why...

Just think about this...where is her hand?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Robot of Sherwood is one of my favorite episodes of the past season. It's so funny and perfect the way Capaldi interacts with the Merry Men and Robin Hood. Great episode.

Today I finished up another Tom Baker audio, The Renaissance Man. It is amazing how 80 year old Tom just absolutely nails his younger self. Like you'd imagine he might be a bit old and out of it, but not at all. He sounds more like his tv voice than almost any of the other Doctors, and you'd imagine that being the oldest and farthest from playing the part it'd be the hardest. Or that he'd stumble over the more esoteric sci-fi dialogue. But nope, he's dashing around the room, throwing out technobabble, outsmarting bad guys, charming everyone, and just utterly nailing it. And I'm not even a big 4th Doctor fan. He's winning me over though, much like McGann did with 8 who became one of my favorites after hearing his audios.

Another nice touch is the music. The score and cues sound exactly like the ones from the 70s. Now, it would distract from the story if a 5 audio had a bunch of synth stuff, or we had to listen to a serious 7/Ace/Hex audio with Keff McCulloch Keffing it up all over the place. But in these 4DAs it's so right.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm not much for comics, but this is one that I might just go for. These are the stories I most wanted to see that I think they dropped the ball on. That was the best TARDIS team in forever, with the addition of Jack, a hypercompetent action hero from the future who could perform the Steven/Turlough role of action hero with knowledge of technology and aliens, a nicely different perspective than the usual 20th century companion. The fact that we only got a couple of episodes (along with RTD dangling Jack "returning" for a whole season only to yank him away again) was always a disappointment.

I also like the fact that we know so much more about these characters, that their arcs are "over." I find myself leery of buying any books with the current Doctor (whoever he may be at the time) because I don't believe these authors know what Moffat et al have planned for the storyline so it's all kind of speculative and can be contradicted easily. OTOH, we know all about who 9 really is in relation to the Time War, where Rose and Jack end up, etc. It gives these stories some nice parameters to work in, if that makes sense. It's kind of like what we see in Big Finish. I feel the same way about that too, incidentally. I'd subscribe immediately to any 10th or 11th Doctor runs, but would have less interest in a Capaldi audio series unless I knew they were working with Moffat on it or something.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Thunderfinger posted:

So my dad and step-mom got me the Doctor Who Lost in Time collection and The Beginning collection for Christmas. Right now, I'm digging into The Crusade, and I have to ask who is the character replacing Susan?

Vicki. She's from the 25th century and she's pretty cool. A lot of people just say she's a "replacement Susan" but I liked her. The actress who plays her, Maureen O'Brien, is great at channeling her younger self in the audios nowadays as well.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Solaris Knight posted:

How did two separate Santas both think about Festival

of DEATH?

TWAAAAAANNNNNNNNGGGGGG!

Loved the Christmas special. One of my favorites of the past season. The callbacks to Clara and Old 11 were great, Santa was as good as Robin Hood, and there were some great moments of humor ("Am I old?" "No idea.")

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

TL posted:

Ten: The Man Who Regrets
Eleven: The One Who Forgets
Twelve: The One Who Stands His Ground

I'll see myself out...

Oh now you've done it!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

2house2fly posted:

I wish he'd at least get some story arc lessons. His idea of developing a plot over a season is for Missy to show up and wave at the camera every couple of episodes.

I would not have a problem if this continues into the next season. :colbert:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Not everyone's voice changes when they get old. Sorry but its true.

Also just listen to some audios with Maureen O'Brien or Wendy Padbury to hear people in their late 60s sound like they are 20, for example.

Republican Vampire posted:

Considering that we've just seen a couple series that seemed to revolve around the idea that the day-tripper lifestyle that the Ponds and Clara adopted is toxic, what are the odds of Moffat reverting to that dynamic in the pursuit of drama next series?

I still think that it's a narrative problem. It's a function of the fact that the Doctor can land the TARDIS anywhere, any time, with precision. There's no more "oh, I'm trying to get home but can't!" and they want to avoid the trope of :allears: "I'VE JUST MET THIS AWESOME GUY IN THIS EPISODE OK I GUESS I'M GOING TO MARRY HIM BYE!"

Now the companion can just day travel and go back home whenever. There's no reason why they can't just travel with the Doctor for their whole lives. It's also even better as an audience surrogate, since we just see the Doctor once a week for an hour. That could be the reason Moffat is afraid to break the mold and go back to a full time companion.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Pinwiz11 posted:

What do people recommend that they use to listen to the Big Finish stories on an Android? I decided to resubscribe over the holidays and I'm open for suggestions.

Winamp used to be really good, but they killed that so lately I've been using a thing called "Rocket Player." It seems to naturally understand the BF ordering without me having to create playlists so that it doesn't start playing CD 1 TRACK 1, CD 2 TRACK T, CD 1 TRACK 2 CD 2 TRACK 2 etc which was a problem back in the day.

adhuin posted:

I might have a problem.

Lately I've been listening to 4th doctor adventures, which were surprisingly good.
More passive Doctor and Action packed Leela fit very well together.

I haven't actually seen any of the old serials, but I can Imagine Leela being all:

But this is what I "see" when listening to the Doctor:

Can't help it. 4th Doctor IS an Old Man for me, not the dashing scarf-wielding hero. :sigh:

Funnily enough, I don't have that problem with Tom. It might be helpful that he's ironically the Doctor I've seen on tv least. It was a big problem with Peter for me, but either he's got better or I've been able to suspend my disbelief more.

I just finished Masters of Earth. It was pretty good. I feel they are giving some decent exploration to Peri's arc and her issues with the Doctor (which remind me a lot of the Clara/Doctor conflict we're seeing now onscreen).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CobiWann posted:

And Happy New Year from the First Doctor!

It is absolutely uncanny how much Bradley looks like Hartnell. I was watching clips of Dalek Masterplan to get myself in the proper mindset to start on some Steven/Sara Kingdom BF and there was a split second where I saw David Bradley. I just paused it and my jaw dropped.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

On my plane ride, I heard the first set of the Companion Chronicles. They're actually kind of fun. I'm amazed at how well First and Second Doctor companions can still sound a bit like they used to (and even do a decent job of talking a bit like the Doctors they traveled with). The fourth one, in which the Fourth Doctor is excited about donuts, really brought me back to his era, even if a lot of it was a bit painting by the numbers.

The Lost Stories and Early Adventures also have more early Doctor goodness. I'd thought I'd heard all the Jamie audios but then realized there were some Lost Stories with him doing his usual awesome Troughton imitation.

I'm in the middle of the Queen of Time, and there's a great moment in it which is indicative of the detail they go to: the TARDIS crew arrives in a place full of clocks...clocks on the walls, grandfather clocks, cookoo clocks, sundials, pocketwatches hanging from the ceiling. Now you can just absolutely picture this as the exact sort of set dressing they'd have done in the 60s in an actual 2nd Doctor episode. Then though, they take it a step further by mentioning futuristic 3-D holographic clocks floating in the air, and it simultaneously gives it a modern sfx feel. There's a lot of that in these episodes, touches of old musical and sound effects cues, but then more modern references. It makes them a product of their times but with a modern bent. Amazing.

Masters of Earth also did a nice job of conveying that future 2163 that looked like 1960 in Dalek Invasion of Earth but made it also a believable future from here, a good synthesis of a 60s and 80s episode made today.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Davros1 posted:

Number 6 returns. And no, it isn't Colin.

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/the-prisoner

This is huge. Definitely a must buy for me. It's a tricky property to adapt without McGoohan but there's a lot of material to be mined there.

A few years back a book company tried to launch of line of novels of which only one by Andrew Cartmel seems to have seen the light of day. If you can pick it up, it's well worth it. Hopefully with so many former Who writers working for BF they'll find a way to involve him. He did a terrific job. It had the premise that, as happened so often on the show: "Whoops, when 6 got away in the last episode he really didn't!" and found himself back in the Village (again, as Iron Maiden would say). Cartmel really wrote McGoohan's voice well. Obviously they won't go that route here, but any sort of continuation of the premise will be interesting I'm sure.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So I'm in the middle of The Rani Elite and it's great. The new Rani is doing a fine job of selling the amoral scientist without being quite as campy as O'Mara. Though they at least reference one of the campest moments of the tv Rani episodes in the most awesome way! "Leave the girl, clearly it's ME you want! :iamafag:

That is why Big Finish owns.

Oxxidation posted:

So Occ, for whatever reason, would like this thread's take on what it would be like to watch the Doctor Who revival chronologically - as in, chronological to the time period of each episode. So Fires of Pompeii et al would be near the beginning, and Utopia would be waaaay at the end.

Answer as vaguely or sincerely as you want, it's a dumbass question if you ask me

I think that's for weaksauce fans. Go big or go home--watch ALL of both series in chronological order. :colbert:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I finished The Rani Elite tonight and it was good all the way to the end. The new Rani is fantastic! It is a shame that they were just a few weeks away from Kate O'Mara having one more crack at the role, but it's good that they are able to do it with her blessing and with a great new actor. I lol'd when they mentioned they had to call PipNJane for the rights; I can only imagine that conversation:

Nick Briggs: "So yeah, you got our papers right, we're good to go on using the Rani?"
Pip and Jane Baker: "Absolutely! And you'll be wanting us to do that script, right? We've already got some great ide---"
Nick Briggs: "OH UM, yeah, no, I mean...well we've already...got it contracted out! You know how it is! Yeah, we already had a guy in queue to do the next one. But I'll be sure to reach out to you if we ever need anything else for Big Finish that's right up your alley, with your particular talents. Well gotta go bye!"
:roflolmao:

Edit to mention the actual writer was prolific Who writer Justin Richards. His novels and audios have had their ups and downs but this is one of his best.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 11, 2015

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Awesome, Futurama had an episode with that same plot and I knew I'd seen it before!

Some new show last year with Peter Capaldi (the guy from Torchwood Children of Earth) ripped it off as well.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Solaris Knight posted:

In less being hazed news, everyone's favorite creepy alien sex simulator is coming back!

http://metro.co.uk/2015/01/13/torchwood-is-returning-as-a-series-of-radio-plays-says-star-john-barrowman-5020919/

Basically at a Arrow conference, John Barrowman said Torchwood. radio plays with the help of Rusty and Julie Gardner are A Thing that will happen soon.

A good move, since Barrowman is starting to get a bit long in the tooth to play immortal Jack. They can do them at any stage in his history as well. Too bad it's not BF doing it though. It would also be great to get RTD to start writing for BF.

What I'd love to see is a 70s (or 80s?) episode where Jack, working for Torchwood, is on the same case as UNIT with some alien invasion and has to keep narrowly avoiding the Third Doctor. :allears:

Hell, we can do Jack meets all the old Doctors! Jack meets 1 and Steven in the 60s! Jack meets 2, Jamie, and Zoe in the 30s! Jack meets 4 and Leela in the 90s! :allears: The Torchwood Companion Chronicles.

thexerox123 posted:

I also discovered that Todd Haberkorn plays Spock in it. (He was Ling in FMA: Brotherhood, and lots of other voice acting roles)

STC was actually talked about a bit in the Star Trek thread recently and I just glossed over the conversation... but now I definitely want to check it out!

It's probably the best of the fan films. They have some genuinely good episodes with excellent writing. The actors are all pro, and sets, hair, makeup are period accurate with a good mix of modern and 60s appropriate special effects. You have to buy into other people playing the roles but after the Abrams movies that's not so much of a stretch. Watch "Lolani" and if you don't like it, it's probably not your cup of tea.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Doctor's rejection and abandonment of Jack is one of his biggest dick moves, right up there with Peri. It would not shock me if it's not addressed and retconned similarly at some point in the next 20 years when BF eventually gets to do new series audios.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

BSam posted:

I loved Robophobia, and Liv Chenka is awesome, but does anyone else hope for more DI Menzies? She's definitely in my top 5 companions.

I do. Love it when she shows up. She's so dry and kinda put upon by everything as she runs her X-Files/Alien Relocation Service. :allears:

Robophobia is on my list of "soon" audios, though the talk of Frozen Time makes me wonder if I should relisten to it? It, along with Colditz, was one of the first audios I bought like 5 or more years ago, on CD no less. I remember liking it but I had no appreciation for the medium as I do now, so I might gain a whole new perspective. And you gotta love Big Finish...they have it there available for me to download as one of my purchases, even though at the time I'd bought the CD and wasn't even doing downloads. :D

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"BLESSED'S ALIVE!?"

Still don't understand why they can't get him in for a Big Finish. Could you imagine him playing against Tom? :swoon:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I just listened to Butcher of Brisbane and it was drat good.

My exposure to Talons of Weng Chiang was not seeing it, but reading the novel as a kid. I watched it in full for the first time before listening to the audio. This was without a doubt continuity-wise a difficult story to pull off. The 4th Doctor met Magnus Greel at his death, in Victorian London when Greel had traveled there back in time from WWVI. Before that, in the Doctor's timeline, another Doctor, perhaps the 4th, marched with the Filipino Army on Reykjavik at the end of the war.

And now here we are with the 5th Doctor, mucking around with Greel before he leaves the 51st century and it all as to happen in a way to not mess up any of the Doctor's previous timestream.

Greel was experimenting with time travel, but in lovely way which damaged people irreparably. It was one of these early experiments which hit the TARDIS, causing Nyssa and Turlough to fall into the 51st century, a few years before WWVI. Nyssa actually is ENGAGED to Greel. :psyduck: And Tegan and the Doctor arrive 3 years after Nyssa and Turlough arrive.

This story really hits a lot of great beats. We get to see how Greel became "The Butcher of Brisbane" (with a great Tegan connection) and how a guy that is the "Minister of Justice" was involved with time travel machinations. We get to see some interesting glimpses of the 51st century, how a future Earth with colonies experiencing an ice age would be, and how it would produce technology like Greel's time cabinet, rejuvinator machine, and Mr. Sin.

The threads of the Doctor/Tegan and Nyssa/Turlogh tie in great, with some good scenes for all of them. A new "mad scientist" in the vein of Davros is introduced, to explain how Greel actually got his tech. It all wraps up quite neatly, dovetailing into what we saw with the 4th Doctor. It's particularly chilling when the Doctor starts muttering about "...and Weng-Chiang was the God of Plenty!" and is getting more and more worried/frustrated/trapped by being caught up in events he is way too close to, a doomed dance that he knows exactly the ending to.

The only missed opportunity that I saw was with the Time Agents. The concept of Time Agents from the 51st Century was introduced here, with Greel ranting about being followed by them. And of course, in the new series we meet 51st century Time Agent Captain Jack. This audio was a perfect occasion to dovetail in the two series. Sure, it's beyond debate now that the new show is a continuation of the old, and Big Finish is in canon. But it's still always nice to see some elements from the new show showing up in the "old" via audio. It's tough because BF can't use new series characters or monsters/aliens created for it. But they could probably get away with us seeing some sort of Jack-analogue, complete with a Vortex Manipulator on his wrist. Unfortunately the whole "Time Agent" thing Greel was freaking out about was simply the 5th Doctor bullshitting him and pretending to be one. It's heavily implied that he made it up on the spot, "I'm a...Time Agent...yeah, that's the ticket!" So how the hell does Captain Jack's organization fit in to that?

Besides that, it was a great story and well worth the listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

There's nothing to indicate they don't age like humans though, particularly Turlough who was attending school for human youths and may have looked a bit weird if he was aging at a remarkably slower rate than the other kids.

They also did it with Peri and Erimem, and though Erimem never appeared on the show, Peri has only a couple of stories with the 5th Doctor before he regenerates and yet she not only goes on multiple adventures with him via Big Finish, but spends two years living in the 15th Century during one of them.

I know it's being a bit pedantic, but given how small a timeframe we're dealing with when thinking back to the first and last 5th Doctor/Peri televised adventures, throwing in a random 2 year gap amongst the many other adventures feels really quite silly.

Well with Nyssa she does actually age much slower than humans. When the Doctor, Tegan, and Turlough catch up to her it's been 80 years or something like that, but she looks like she's only aged 20-30 years. And then she's "de-aged" for something something reasons a couple of stories back. So she'd look the same. And Turlough, who knows? Peri's extra adventures with 5 really do push it though. When you add in those, plus now her going back, she's probably one of the longest "serving" companions. At least that particular incarnation of her.

Time. Ain't it a bitch.

CobiWann posted:

I think, and I could be wrong, it's a mix of letting Big Finish focus on the old series, getting the Doctors/actors back or letting them have time to have careers before bringing them back, and the BBC not wanting fans to think that absolutely have to buy the audios in order to be all caught up on the current TV series.

Or just blame the Tories.

Do you seriously think you could keep David Tennant away if he could legally resume the role, especially for BF? Even in all his dreams of AMERICAN STARDOM he would jump at it. Especially since the time commitment to doing them is so low. From what I gather from the behind the scenes stuff, it takes them a day or so to record an episode. He could bang out a season in a week. I bet Matt Smith would be up for it as well. And as was mentioned, Darvil has done a ton of stuff for BF.

Jerusalem posted:

I think I'm half a dozen 8 audios away from finishing up his main range stories, at which point I can jump back into the 8th Doctor adventures (I think I'll just re-listen to season 1, since the episodes are so short). I'll be glad to finally move into something different with him, I like that they try to differentiate him in some way from the classic Doctors in their main range (well, apart from Tom, which is understandable).

I finished his main range stuff awhile ago, and recently capped the second season of the EDAs (though I couldn't resist jumping ahead to Dark Eyes I last year). So far I like Charlie the most, but Lucie is growing on me. I'm not sure how Dark Eyes II and III will work as overall listens, but my gut feeling is that I'd rather have some small self contained "seasons" of individual episodes, like Tom does (or quite frankly like the others do in the Main Range, where they do 3-4 stories back to back in successive continuity). I'll reserve judgement til I get there, and since I'm putting off the rest of Dark Eyes til I actually do finish the EDAs, then it'll be awhile. By then they'll probably do something else entirely.

• Locked thread