Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geeves
Sep 16, 2004

New! Sept. 2016

Zidmidge posted:

"I also started a Discord for GTA goons. I'm new to discord but it seems that the added chat component also kind of acts like forums? Seems like it might be a good way to keep this, as dryer lint put it, lame gay gaming community together. It's not like we play GTA for its thrilling design and tight balance. We obviously enjoy kooky game types so this should facilitate finding and organizing around those in various games.

https://discord.gg/u4Zdvpg

There's a thread for events, there's one for kicking it, there's one for gaming chat. It's essentially our mumble, but with persistent messages that won't get drowned out by connection status updates."

LLJK Goon Crew Thread: Sign Up (There is a waiting list as we're at capacity, you'll automatically be invited to WEZL for the time being - more details on crew stuff below).

Steam Community https://steamcommunity.com/groups/goontheftautov (thanks KittyEchoSpin)

Camping the Stairs (Mumble). More info on how to join in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714380

GTAV Game Thread as well as spec arguing: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571617 ("Is my PC good enough?" View the 2nd post of the single player thread -> http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571617#post419805003)

GTAV Modding and Director Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3716767

Create cool videos. Mod at your own risk. There are some unsubstantiated claims that players have been banned for some things such as a Field of View mod (as of April 30). There are, however, a growing number of players in Online who are using Trainer / Scripthook to be assholes.

Heists are here as well as the PC. Here's a thing to help plan heists:

geeves posted:

So I created a small tool to match people up for heists since nobody on PC knows who everyone is at the moment. I couldn't figure out how best to do this with a google form, so I made it myself.

I only spent a couple of hours on it so it sucks but it does what is expected.

You can Host a heist - set a day and a time or join one that someone already has made. Right now it's for complete heists. All or nothing. Not sure it would be worth it to break them down further. That just sounds like a headache.

PM me with feed back or if something is very wrong or missing.

http://soulglo.com/goonheists/

lljk / fallinintheblak

If you break it. gently caress you but actually tell me so I can fix it. :)

LLJK Player Created Jobs: Find custom made races, deathmatches, etc. created by goons and add them to your game. They then show up in your "Bookmarked Jobs".

PS4 Jobs | Xbox One Jobs | LLJK PC Jobs

Current Gen and PC Player Info

PS4 Players | PS4 Signup || Xbone Players | Xbone Signup || PC Signup | PC Players

Previous Gen - warning these are very out of date and do not account for those who migrated consoles. Many who were on 360 moved to PS4 and some on PS3 changed their names because reasons.

360 List | 360 Form || PS3 List | PS3 Signup

Be Proactive and add a few goons as friends from the above lists to help get started[/b] - feel free to start with me (PS4 - DeadFor8Minutes / PC - WynterSummers). I suggest adding in your forums name and identify yourself as a goon. On Xbox and PS4, if you then see them join a party, join that party and at least introduce yourself / ask what's going on, there are a few of us who jump parties to see what the others are up to or just to chat a bit. Join Lasagna (most trustworthy goon), Jay - his true believer, literallygary - his herald (and best goon pilot), me and others to terrorize pubbies with the Insurgent (or on foot). On PC, join us in Mumble (details above). Don't have a mic or don't really talk that much? No problem! There's a few of us that just like to listen in as well.

I recommend friending and getting to know other goons because not all invites to jobs and heists display that the invite is from a crew member - see image below - and most of the time not even from the correct player. Being in crew and / or party chat helps with the current Rockstar created confusion.

Transferring Your Online Character

How to transfer your character from previous generation to current generation. For 360 to PS4, it was a simple as linking my PS4 account with Social Club and going to Online-> Character Transfer in the pause menu to start the process. Transferring your character takes some time. So jump back into single player and play a few missions and it should be done by then. If you for some reason have Shark Cards, apply them and verify the cash shows up before transferring. You cannot use a 360 card for PS4, etc.

If you haven't logged into GTA Online since 2013, you may want to log in to the previous gen just in case and get your character "update to date". But now that the first couple of patches have already been released, character transfer should be smoother with no loss of cars, money, weapons and real estate. There are reports of characters being transferred but losing possessions of one type or another and they are still being reported by randoms who have lost their vehicles during the transfer. So check your garages, check your Pegasus list. The Cargobob was still in my Pegasus list thankfully. If you're missing stuff, use R*'s support.

Creating / Editing your Character's Appearance

For the initial online character creation, there was this convoluted system that was difficult for most people to figure out. The new version is much better, simplifying your heritage and being able to customize specific facial features one at a time. You can even switch the gender of your character. You can change your brow shape, chin shape, lips, nose, cheek bones, eye shape, you get the idea. You can also pick eye and hair color. You can even be freckled, have acne scarring, or just flat out acne like most of the squeakers you hear on the general chat. Or you can be a slack jawed geriatric with horrible pustule covered weathered-skin. You can also change the opacity of some of your facial features to add subtlety such as eyebrows, freckles and blush.

If you’re importing your character, be sure to remove your hat, mask and glasses if you were previously wearing them. Once you’ve finalized your character your mugshot will be taken (should appear in your gallery) and you’re all set to jump in once again to raid Los Santos.

Crews

The Official Goon crew is Ladies Love Leet Like Jeff K. Post in the Good Crew Thread and make sure your Social Club profile is visible to everyone to receive your invite. If you’re switch from a older crew such as WEZL, your crew shirt and car decals will automatically change. But something like your crew tire smoke for your car or parachute may not, because that costs money and R* wants you to spend money. Your crew members will appear with a left half-circle of hot pink (LLJK’s color) on their player dot on the map. Friends will have blue on the right half of the dot.

What does LLJK get up to? This about sums it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46UdL_OyTpM

I was in LLJK, but now I'm not: It's most likely nothing personal at all, so please keep that in mind!

That said, if you don't have LLJK as your primary crew you run this risk. LLJK is at capacity right now at Rockstar's arbitrary 1000 member limit and we have a waiting list or the WEZL crew for run off members currently. Before PC was released we were sitting at around ~450 members for consoles and some, even then hadn't been active in months. We've had a huge influx of PC players. It would be a lot better if we could figure out who exactly was simply an inactive player, but Rockstar does not give us that information.

You can also be kicked - more likely flat out banned from the crew - if you're an rear end in a top hat to other crew members. Collecting a bounty set on another member is okay. Humorous explosions and scenarios are okay. If you're in auto-aim, accidental shootings can happen because crew members aren't recognized as friendlies. Shooting on sight and griefing are not okay. More info in the goon crew thread about the wait list and its status.

Joining an Online Session

The current gen consoles now support 30 player sessions. Don't worry, everyone will leave after a few minutes leaving you all alone.

Joining Crew Members

Some players continue to report issues with matchmaking. They may exist, but I haven’t had problems with joining online sessions with friends or crew members unless that session is full. There now may be limits for the number of crew members in one public session - what that number is I don’t know. It should be noted the source for this was a reddit thread and considering that the OP of that thread never responded with a number - who knows, but it’s something for which to be on the lookout.

Snapmatic

Since its inception, the camera on your phone has improved in some ways. You can filter and border your photos if you can’t make them interesting enough like you do with Instagram. You can also control the depth of field slightly when in self-portrait mode and now you can tilt and move your head so you don’t always have the same pose with each photo. Lowlight self-portraits seem a bit better as well.

Misc and Support

If you are having an issue with anything, Rockstar’s support forums are where you want to go. Lose something? Vehicles, Money, etc.? Their support team is pretty good, all things considered. They’ve been able to restore your Level when it suddenly changes to zero, and while they haven’t been able to restore a full garage they will poorly compensate you for your vehicles.

How do I make money?

Sell cars, get cash. Unfortunately you can only sell a car every 48 minutes or 1 in-game Day. Simeon also has a list of cars that he’ll text you that he wants. These often include an Ubermacht Sentinel, Obey Tailgater, etc. There’s also Simeon’s High Priority Vehicle or HPV. This shows up as a green car on the map. If you manage to get HPV, other players may come after you so they too can get HPV from you. The easiest way to work the cars Simeon wants or HPV is to go into passive mode then avoid the cops and drive to a mod shop, paint it the cheapest black and deliver it to the docks. If you jump sessions are you not held to the 48 minute cool down if you get another HPV.

Other cars you can sell every 48 minutes at LSC - prices may vary.

Sapient Afro posted:

I should point out that the sentinel convertible sells for 9.5k, and there are also gang variants of the Peyote, ragtop Tornado and Buccaneer which sell for 12,940 , 12,575 and 9,750 respectively
  • Lampadati Felon GT - $9500
  • Gallivanter Baller - $9000
  • Lampadati Felon - $9000
  • Ocelot F620 - $8000
  • Ubermacht Oracle - $8000
  • Ubermacht Sentinel XS - $8000
  • Benefactor Schwartzer - $8000
  • Albany Cavalcade - $7000
  • Benefactor Dubsta - $7000
  • Ubermacht Zion Cabria - $6500
  • Ocelot Jackal - $6000
  • Landstalker - $5800
  • Mammoth Patriot - $5000
  • Dundreary Landstalker - $5000
  • Mammoth Patriot - $5000
  • Fantom FG - $5000
  • Monster Truck - $4500
  • Cheval Surge - $3800
  • Schyster Fusillade - $3600
  • Dundrey Granger - $3500
  • Vapid Dominator - $3500
  • Bravado Buffalo - $3500
  • Vapid Radius - $3200
  • Bravado Gauntlet - $3100
  • Canis Seminole - $3000
  • Declasse Tornado - $3000
  • Bravado Gresley - $2900
  • Karin Asterope - $2500
  • Western Daemon - $2500
  • Maibatsu Penumbra - $2400
  • Imponte Phoenix - $2000
  • Weeny Issi - $1800
  • Albany Washington - $1500
  • Sabre Turbo - $1500
  • Zirconium Stratum - $1000
  • Albany Emperor - $800
  • Cheval Picador - $500
  • Sanchez - $200

No seriously, how do I make money?

Races
Races have been nerfed over time, but if you can get into a full lobby and avoid the asshats who crash in turn one, and if it’s a race that takes over 4 minutes to complete, you can get decent (but not a huge) amount of cash. When hosting races you can control some aspects of the race, such as traffic, GTA-style, slipstream, catchup and lock them into a view such as the new first person view.

Missions
Missions unlock as you level up. You can be invited to a mission as a lower level player by someone hosting the mission. Some missions, like Rooftop Rumble for example, unlock at level 75.

The amount of time to finish a mission can impact the payout and RP of completing it successfully. You can also get more RP and money (x1.5) by completing the mission on hard. The first time you successfully complete a mission you will receive its full payout. After that, it’s half the payout price. For example Rooftop Rumble, the first payout is $37,500. Subsequent payouts are $17,250. Why the weird amounts? Well, the initial payout for RR was $75,000. R* couldn’t sell Shark Cards (TM) with players making that much money from missions so they halved nearly everything for missions.

Here's a spreadsheet with money and RP values vs. time. Note this may not be 100% accurate and could be Rockstared at any time.

Survivals
Survivals can be fun, but expensive as you might use a good bit of ammunition that you buy and then end up spending all of your earned cash to re-purchase what you used. So try to pick up as much ammo as you can between waves. Payout is based on the number of waves you survive with a maximum of $30,000. If you're a lower level player you can quickly up your aiming / weapon stat as all you do is shoot meth heads, cops, mercs. Also Survivals can take a good chunk of time. Prepare for a 25+ minute investment.

Other Activities
There are also a myriad of other activities which you can earn money. From Deathmatches to Last Team / Man Standing, Parachuting to Air Racing, Arm Wrestling and Darts. Tennis and Golf can also help improve your strength stat, as can taking a golf club to a car.

Crew Challeges (limited)
Every so often a crew challenge will show up as 250k. Do at your own risk. You can make 250k more easily, but also I've beaten the challenge to just have my 250k bet disappear and be left 250k down.

Crate Drops
These are mythical boxes that supposedly drop from the sky with milk and honey and rare t-shirts. They do exist, unlike Heists.

Glitches / Exploits
These popped up pretty often in the previous generation and would usually last anywhere from a day to a few days depending on how quickly R* could issue a hot fix. Most involved confusing the console and server as to what car you actually had and using a dead hooker to duplicate an expensive one (like an Adder) and repeatedly sell it, quickly racking up several million dollars with just an hours work. R* hasn’t punished those who exploited the game in this way (they primarily went after the DNS glitchers that were purposely altering the game) but it’s not to say they might not go after people in the future. Also be careful if you do attempt these, if you do them wrong it is possible that you will sell your vehicle only for it to be gone for good.

What are these Shark Cards you mentioned? Because I don’t feel like doing any of that

Good! Because you can waste real money on in game cash. With GTA’s obscenely inflated economy, it’s easy to go through $200k just to buy all the latest fashions for your character (outfits can go for $40 to $50k). And instead of offering micro transactions to buy a car pack or single car (see Forza), R* offers in game money. This is their endgame as how they support online. Seriously, it was even in their Q4 share holders call last year.

Megalodon Shark - $8,000,000 - $99.99 USD / £64.99 GBP
Whale Shark - $3,500,000 - $49.99 USD / £39.99 GBP
Great White Shark - $1,250,000 - $19.99 USD / £13.49 GBP (that’s paying $20 for a loving Adder)
Bull Shark - $500,000 - $9.99 USD / £6.75 GBP
Tiger Shark - $200,000 - $4.99 USD / £3.39 GBP
Red Shark - $100,000 - $2.99 USD / £1.99 GBP

But what about these Heists I keep hearing about?

"Soon. Early 2015"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDd3pTE8UsQ

How do I waste money?

Easily. Free Roam. You are able to call up services from Lester (get cops off your tail; set a bounty; go off radar or have cops turn a blind eye which is helpful to enter the military base and grab a jet), Lamar (call a mugger) and others to annoy or troll other people just because you can. You can also play dress up and buy all the clothes and outfits in the store. Apparently everything is priced like Prada. You can also destroy other players’ vehicles at the risk of being a “bad sport” and pay their insurance. Nobody quite knows why there is the double whammy of bad sport and having to pay insurance, but it’s there. That’s not even how insurance works. But R* needs to sell Shark Cards.

Because reasons, going off radar alerts other players in the session that you are off radar. It even reminds other players that there are off radar players about 30 seconds into the 60 second limit.

Bounties

You can no longer wait out the bounty in your apartment - it's been this way for a while. You need to survive in free roam for 48 minutes to collect the money for yourself. Ways to avoid other players are the submarine in the ocean, in the subway or sewer tunnels or just go to a solo or invite session (but what’s the fun in that?). Bounties appear as a red dot with an X through them. If you look at them on the pause menu map, they have a skull as well.

Mental State

Don’t confuse bounties with Mental State. The more you kill other players, the more your dot will turn red. If you kill these red dots, you do not get cash for it, but you do get a paltry RP bump for it.

Passive Mode

Passive mode has been updated in current gen and PC. You are now a ghost. Every so often though you can come out of a mission or heist in passive mode but killable by other players. You can still leave boobytrapped ignition bombs in cars for pubbies to find. This will work, but you will be kicked out of passive.

Content Creator

One of the better things that Rockstar has implemented. You can create your own races, deathmatches, capture and last team standing battles to share with your crew and with the world in general. Nearly the entire map is available. Not sure why Los Santos Airport is off limits. There have been very creative and very exploitative content created, such as sky-based death matches and others in which you find yourself inside an inescapable area with one tank or weapon.

LLJK PS4 Jobs | LLJK Xbox One Jobs | LLJK PC Jobs

Other Updates

Over the last year R* has made other updates / improvements to Free Roam. You can now easily tell who is in a Jet or Helicopter or other special vehicle instead of having to discern what a player is in just by how their white dot moves. They give you elevation indicators in the form of an arrow to look out for rooftop snipers. You can also see the distance from you in meters of another player on the pause map. There have also been quite a few updates that have brought new vehicles, weapons and clothes to GTA Online such as the Beach Bum Update, I Am Not A Hipster Update; the limited Valentine’s Update; The Business Update; The ‘Merica Update and more. Aside from weapons, etc. there have been constant tweaks to the in game physics and vehicle handling and weapons capability (RIP Tank Sniping) and passive mode much to the chagrin of many online players.

Please PM me with any corrections or additions to keep this OP up to date.

geeves fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Vehicles

Here's a list of all the vehicles in GTA5

And here's a list of vehicle mods for the cars in GTA. http://tinyurl.com/GTA-Online-Car-Mods

Here's a list of every vehicle and their base stats.

What kind of Vehicles Should I Buy?

Well, you'll get different answers from different people (see below). Most cars except for the high priced cars can be found around Los Santos or Blaine County, modded and stored in your garage. High end cars, such as the Rapid GT, cannot enter LSC unless you've purchased it online. A good all around car is the Karin Sultan. Fully modded the car is excellent and fast and AWD. It can hold 4 people and can easily bring death to other players. The Sultan is also cheap to replace when it's eventually destroyed.

If you like to race, it's not a bad idea to invest when you can in a car from each class and mod it fully. But if you can't drive for poo poo, you're not going to win. In the Super Class the Zentorno and Adder may have the top speed, but the Entity is fast, has AWD and corners well. The Cheetah and Turismo are good cars as well. Any of these cars can beat the others in the hands of a solid driver.

Psion posted:

I think this is pretty close to done. Final thoughts, cars to add to the notable list, bad opinions?

"What's the best car for racing?" Well, here's what the thread thinks. Best and second best options.
  • Super - Zentorno | Entity XF
  • Sports - Massacro | Elegy RH8
  • Muscle - Blade | Gauntlet/Dominator
  • Sports Classics - Monroe | Z-Type
  • Sedans - Schafter | Stainer
  • Compacts - Blista | Issi
  • Coupes - Exemplar | F620
  • SUVs - Huntley S | Don't race SUVs. Don't even buy one. No, really.
  • Off-Road - Motorcycle: Sanchez | 4-Wheel Option: Bifta -- Both have serious pros and cons; this depends a lot on the race and your personal style.
  • Motorcycles - Akuma | Bati 801/801RR

Super races are the most common, followed by sports. Offroad, Muscle, Sports Classics and Motorcycles happen occasionally. Coupes, Compacts, and Sedans are rare. SUVs are the rarest by a factor of about a billion. Prioritize your purchasing.

Other Notable Cars - you might want some of these if you aren't racing 24/7.
  • Adder: highest top speed in the game. (Super)
  • Voltic: lowish top speed for the class, but incredible acceleration. (Super)
  • Sultan: Mediocre when unmodded, amazing when fully modded up. Four doors, near-perfect balance and AWD, excellent handling. Best 4 door in the game with the bonus of incredibly cheap insurance. Everyone should own one. (Sports)
  • Carbonizzare: Hardtop convertible. Not convinced? Ridiculous top speed and acceleration; it wants to go fast. This car will teach you how to be a good driver - it'll get away from you if you let it, otherwise you'll have a car which can take supers at a fraction of the price. The skills you learn here will make you better with every other car. Bonus: sounds awesome. (Sports)
  • Phoenix: You can put a Plymouth Superbird wing on this. Enough said. (Muscle)
  • Sabre Turbo: Sounds great, looks good, lots of mod options. (Muscle)
  • Felon GT: sells for $9500 at LSC, if you can find one (Coupes)
  • Baller: sells for $9000 at LSC, is the most common vehicle worth selling. Good acceleration. For some reason there are two distinct Baller models in-game. (SUV)
  • Granger: Can hold 8 people - 4 inside and 4 on the running boards outside. The 4 outside players will probably die the first time you crash into something, so make sure you don't like them. On the upside they can shoot guns one-handed so it looks really, really cool until they die. (SUV)
  • Sandking XL: paint it hot pink and run people over in a huge truck. What's not to like? When you hit rank 100, consider upgrading to a Dubsta 6x6. (Off-Road)

Weapons

Zip! posted:

Whilst we're creating an info post someone posted this earlier on which is probably useful RE: Guns

Pistols
  • Heavy pistol: Is probably the best semi-auto.
  • AP pistol: The AP pistol is armor piercing and has a very rapid rate of fire. It also commonly causes car explosions. So if you're trying to avoid insurance costs or murdering everyone in your vehicle and SMG might be better for drivebys.

Close Range
  • Assault Shotgun: Best and quickest kill for close range combat.
  • Sawed-off Shotgun: Limited range, especially when comparing shotguns, but you can use it from a motorcycle

Med Range
  • SMGs: Get the Micro regardless for drive-by purposes, sometimes it's useful over the AP pistol. (The Sweeper was only available for a limited time in February. It may be available again in Feb 2015).
  • ARs: Special Carbine or Bullpup rifle (they appear to be stat-identical) - special note to the regular Carbine Rifle, which does less damage per shot but is more accurate than either. The Special Carbine (and Marksman Rifle) is available to everyone from the start so low levels are no longer sitting ducks.
  • MGs: Sweeper is the best, Combat SMG as a backup. Combat MG, however, has a 250 shot cartridge so you can fire away without having to worry about reloading.

Long Range / Snipers
  • Heavy Sniper: The Heavy Sniper has a 6 shot cartridge with a slightly higher rate of fire.
  • Regular Sniper: has a 10 shot cartridge, but slightly slower and less powerful than the Heavy.
  • Marksman Rifle: is good for medium to long range shots with a rapid rate of fire, but not as rapid as the assault rifles. Good for moving targets that are out of range of the MGs and ARs.

Heavy Weapons
  • RPG: Rather slow for an RPG, best against a stationary target, but it can be an ineffective weapon if you can't properly lead your target.
  • Grenade Launcher: is better for close range shots when compared to the RPG and has similar destruction. The Grenade Launcher also has a tactical advantage to fire over walls, trains, on top of not-to-high buildings, etc. in an arc to hit your targets. Similar to the RPG that you need to lead your target properly
  • Minigun: Welcome to level 120. Like the RPG the weapon has been rockstared. Despite its rapid fire, it does very little damage to cars, helicopters and planes without prolonged exposure. It should shred through airframes quickly, but unless the Lazer or Buzzard already has damage, all your really going to shred is foliage like in Predator.
  • Firework Launcher: When you want to kill your opponent with a rainbow of colors.

Thrown
  • Jerry Can: destroy some cars by lighting them on fire.
  • Grenades: If you're good at timing your throw and distance to your opponent, these can be a nice surprise attack. They're have a bit more tactical use during firefights now that you can throw them without switching to select them, adding another element of chaos.
  • Sticky Bombs: good for drivebys and setting traps, whether they're planned (like booby trapping Simeon's garage or LSC) or on the fly (throwing stickies on the road and timing them to explode when your pursuer is close to the trap.
  • Tear Gas: what you resort to when you're out of everything else. It is great for annoying pubbies while they're trying to rob a store or try on clothes- best combined with someone holding the door open for you (by firing at the door with their gun).

Military
  • Tank: Great vehicle in which to rampage around the city. Good for missions in which massive amounts of cops appear. Can sustain heavy gunfire for quite a while from the police. Also not bad if you want to rack up a bunch of insurance costs, but now has a tank icon so you're easily avoided.
  • Buzzard: Has homing rockets (police and military only), regular rockets so you don't lock onto police when you're trying to kill another player and a machine gun, which if you can fly steady enough and circle your target can actually be useful. The co-pilot can also take control of the rockets with the mounted camera for better accuracy.
  • Annihilator: Can't annihilate poo poo unless you can fly steady and circle and keep your aim on target
  • Lazer: Its cannon fires exploding rounds, making it very useful for strafing runs against your target.

Network Issues

GTA Online is full of them as many in this thread can attest. From session load times to getting "stuck in the clouds" after a mission, while most of the issues are likely on Rockstar's end (this is R*'s repetitive response to all messages about network connections), and perhaps improved a little with patch 1.0.4, it may be worth it to try out other DNS providers to see if that improves the network reliability and the game.

I've used Google DNS for reliability with my Mac when Comcast / ATT fucks up. Some people on Rockstar's community / support forums are reporting success by changing their DNS settings to Google's.

Note: the following changes may not work for the better and Google DNS may in fact degrade your speed performance. If Google DNS does this you can find alternative DNS servers with Namebench (https://code.google.com/p/namebench/). Namebench works on both Mac and Windows and takes about 10 minutes to run completely and will give a report in your browser with alternatives as well as how much they may improve or degrade the speed of your connection.

On PS4 (I'll add Xbox shortly) you can change these by going to:

Settings -> Network -> Setup Internet Connection -> Wifi / LAN -> Custom

IP Address - Auto
DHCP - Do not specify
DNS Settings - Manual

Google's DNS IP Addresses are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 If you select another DNS server via Namebench, they recommend 3 at the top of the results (see screenshot).

geeves fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 25, 2015

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Add this to the OP, please.

http://tinyurl.com/GTA-Online-Car-Mods

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014
What's the most effective way to spend a Saturday poopsocking my way towards a million dollars?

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.

geeves posted:

What are these Shark Cards you mentioned? Because I don’t feel like doing any of that

Good! Because you can waste real money on in game cash. With GTA’s obscenely inflated economy, it’s easy to go through $200k just to buy all the latest fashions for your character (outfits can go for $40 to $50k). And instead of offering micro transactions to buy a car pack or single car (see Forza), R* offers in game money. This is their endgame as how they support online. Seriously, it was even in their Q4 share holders call last year.

Megalodon Shark - $8,000,000 - $99.99 USD / £64.99 GBP
Whale Shark - $3,500,000 - $49.99 USD / £39.99 GBP
Great White Shark - $1,250,000 - $19.99 USD / £13.49 GBP (that’s paying $20 for a loving Adder)
Bull Shark - $500,000 - $9.99 USD / £6.75 GBP
Tiger Shark - $200,000 - $4.99 USD / £3.39 GBP
Red Shark - $100,000 - $2.99 USD / £1.99 GBP

So wait, is this microtransaction stuff or something? If so, why is the $1,250,000 GTA Fun Bux option priced at $20? I was in EB Games today and they were selling $1,000,000 GTA Fun Bux codes for $2.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Quality OP.
Looking forward to some nutso sessions with the LLJK crew. If we have even half the crazy shenanigans that the old 360 WEZL crew had, it will be glorious.
Who want to go on a drunken first person store robbery streak this weekend? :)

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

CousinKevin posted:

So wait, is this microtransaction stuff or something? If so, why is the $1,250,000 GTA Fun Bux option priced at $20? I was in EB Games today and they were selling $1,000,000 GTA Fun Bux codes for $2.

It's R*'s idea of what a microtransaction is. If you can get $1,000,000 for $2, that's not bad. I don't play many games, but Forza is game with solid microtransactions and you can't even kill people in that.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

RIP in peace, tank sniping. I miss you every day.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjK41z_X5rc

Don't you bike that bike and me, biker!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

CousinKevin posted:

If they were $2 for a million, buy then resell the codes. It's the way.
Here's some poo poo I've been up to in GTA:o:

James Bond stunt poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_mb8Sufl3Y

Getting shot off my bike by fellow crew jerks e: ^^ :argh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DUzmpUaLL4

Croccers fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 20, 2014

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Hey, you know what I haven't seen from next genners yet? Any goddamn Weazel reporting. :(

You even left the weasel tumblr out of the first post.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Survivals are 30k now for going all 10 rounds if memory serves

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

You should probably mention in the OP that if you haven't played since 2013 and want to transfer your character to current gen, you should probably load up online in last gen once and make sure it saves your character just to be sure.

Also, trying to get into PS4 online is working a bit more now, but still pretty much like this at the moment:

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Still cannot get into a lobby with more than myself on PS4, and whenever I try to go on call to do a random mission or race, it boots me EVERY time it tries to load me in.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It's gonna be a rough time until people manage to figure out how all the cars changed for the new version. The Bifta used to be such an awesome off-road vehicle but even fully modded I'm getting outpaced by loving Sanchezes now.

Mice Everywhere
Sep 7, 2007

I love animal porn! So F* you if you don't accept that!
Sultans are still totally rad both on-road and off, right?!

Thaxxas
Dec 17, 2010
I've been having fun in mine but I never used it last gen so I cant do a comparison. Hellofa lot of fun on the ps4 though and looks stylish in the crew colors with pink neon lighting!

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Icedude posted:

You should probably mention in the OP that if you haven't played since 2013 and want to transfer your character to current gen, you should probably load up online in last gen once and make sure it saves your character just to be sure.

Also, trying to get into PS4 online is working a bit more now, but still pretty much like this at the moment:

Thanks for the reminder, I added that. Supposedly the 1.0.2 patch took care of the old last gen characters.

Mice Everywhere posted:

Sultans are still totally rad both on-road and off, right?!

Sultans are totally rad, regardless. Even with low-profile tires off road. But you can try putting off road tires on it to see if it makes any difference.

Policenaut posted:

It's gonna be a rough time until people manage to figure out how all the cars changed for the new version. The Bifta used to be such an awesome off-road vehicle but even fully modded I'm getting outpaced by loving Sanchezes now.

You would think a dirt bike could out perform a full sized vehicle off road.

I've also found that the handling on my Akuma is much better and doesn't feel as loose as it did on the 360.

Edit: Could be related to the following. Turbo actually slows down your car. If you don't want to watch, the test track a completely stock Massacro runs the track in 42.277 seconds, the Turbo only Massacro runs it in 43.411

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVbWApPV-EU

geeves fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 20, 2014

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

geeves posted:

[*]Airlifting players’ cars from the impound with a Cargobob

Turns out that you can still do this but now since the game tells shows an your player blip as a jet/helicopter/plane, you can intentionally trick other players into destroying the PV-lobbing cargobob since they'll think you're in a buzzard unaware of the fee that will hit them. :pseudo: Disclamer: Don't fly to the impound/Mors/switching between both while multiple jets/buzzards are in the air.

Edit: Also carfarting works as long as you don't try to enter the targeted PV.

marathon Stairmaster sesh fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 20, 2014

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Marlamaid Swordhand posted:

Turns out that you can still do this but now since the game tells shows an your player blip as a jet/helicopter/plane, you can intentionally trick other players into destroying the PV-lobbing cargobob since they'll think you're in a buzzard unaware of the fee that will hit them. :pseudo: Disclamer: Don't fly to the impound/Mors/switching between both while multiple jets/buzzards are in the air.

Edit: Also carfarting works as long as you don't try to enter the targeted PV.

New game for me thanks.

Also, if you haven't tried driving up the mountain in a monster truck in first person view, I highly recommend it. Mainly so you can really enjoy the trip down.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh god yes, FPS driving in this game is incredible and you should always force it to FPS mode in races. I did that Independence Day race, the one that goes all throughout the backwoods and has a mountain jump to it, and everyone on headsets started flipping out when we all went off the thing. Did that whole race to the General Lee song and felt so good.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
Just thought I'd mention that I was selling my Elegys last night to free up garage space and they were going for 56k a piece for a free car.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Dear geeves you forgot to add :siren:DON'T ACTUALLY BUY SHARK CARDS THIS IS NOT ACTUALLY A FREE-TO-PLAY GAME THEY'RE A SCAM:siren: to the OP :love:

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Mash posted:

Just thought I'd mention that I was selling my Elegys last night to free up garage space and they were going for 56k a piece for a free car.

It was modded though right?

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

A c E posted:

It was modded though right?

Nope, none of the ones I sold were upgraded or modified. I had ordered a bunch when the hooker glitch still worked but only upgraded one of them, which I kept.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:
I don't know why I expected the launch to go smoothly :(

Also all cars top out at 120mph, what's the deal?

MONKEY TRASH!
Jan 8, 2006

Hey friends, what's the best way to get RP without looking at this game like a second job? Got plenty of money but no bazookas to spend it on...

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I think someone was saying in the old thread that Simeon's "Blow It Up II" is worth 5700 RP and can be cleared in a few minutes if you've got some heavy ordinance like a tank? I can never get him to give me that mission so I can launch it from the mission menu though.

edit: vg247 has a mission cash/RP payout guide for this kinda stuff now.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

Uhh, anyone else's jets seem to randomly explode mid-flight?

This is the second time this has happened, and every time I save the clip the console only recoded what happened AFTER the explosion. :confused:
It always happens when I'm paused, looking at the map or checking my friend list, did they add birds into GTA:O or am I just really unlucky?

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Mash posted:

Nope, none of the ones I sold were upgraded or modified. I had ordered a bunch when the hooker glitch still worked but only upgraded one of them, which I kept.

Oh, definitely going to try that out then.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Cute as heck posted:

Uhh, anyone else's jets seem to randomly explode mid-flight?

This is the second time this has happened, and every time I save the clip the console only recoded what happened AFTER the explosion. :confused:
It always happens when I'm paused, looking at the map or checking my friend list, did they add birds into GTA:O or am I just really unlucky?

Maybe you got tagged by the terminator jet? Sometimes an AI jet will appear in the skies when you steal one and it goes on a war path to kill you. Best to switch lobbies if that happens.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
From the last thread

Nintendo Kid posted:

Shotguns right into the engine area, ideally through the grill. Also, shotguns towards the rear driver side tire area, so you can catch the gas tank.

i still couldn't do it with the assault shotgun and the new Saiga-12 auto shotty. I unloaded close to 40-50 rounds before giving up.

MONKEY TRASH!
Jan 8, 2006

Policenaut posted:

I think someone was saying in the old thread that Simeon's "Blow It Up II" is worth 5700 RP and can be cleared in a few minutes if you've got some heavy ordinance like a tank? I can never get him to give me that mission so I can launch it from the mission menu though.

edit: vg247 has a mission cash/RP payout guide for this kinda stuff now.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for!

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I'll be hopping on ps4 if anyone wants to rob some stores or do some low level missions.

scyron57 for psn

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Aardvark Barber posted:

Still cannot get into a lobby with more than myself on PS4, and whenever I try to go on call to do a random mission or race, it boots me EVERY time it tries to load me in.

Me too. I ran a couple missions with Maniac Cop and then got booted. Can't load into a public lobby with anyone but myself.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Maybe you got tagged by the terminator jet? Sometimes an AI jet will appear in the skies when you steal one and it goes on a war path to kill you. Best to switch lobbies if that happens.

It wasn't a fighter jet though, it was just my personal Besra

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Cute as heck posted:

I don't know why I expected the launch to go smoothly :(

Also all cars top out at 120mph, what's the deal?
I'm guessing because travelling at more than 120mph activates the flux capacitor means the engine can't keep up and you get really bad pop-in item loading effects.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I was loving amazed that I thought I topped a police armored van at 70 only to break through 2 times, all the way up to 115. I'm sure I could have gotten it to 120 but I would need one less goon passanger :p

edit; 70 is the perfect speed I have found, with clean driving and avoiding traffic.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:

Can I ask for people to make sure they do fill these out because I want to make certain changes to the crew hierarchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Can I still run my 16x coveted playlist for funbucks or is that a total waste of time now?

• Locked thread