Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Thought I was gonna have a crummy night. I logged on, left my apartment, and randomly got a bounty placed on me. Ended up on another server and was participating in a low-flying challenge which ended me up over the water where I noticed a bunch of people hanging out in the hot tub of a yacht. I joined them for a spell and all of a sudden I'm 25 millioin dollars richer? Alright, thanks random dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Hearing about people grinding missions and relatives spending real life money on funbucks is making me feel guilty about receiving... donations in-game. Although someone in irc pointed out that in a game all about criminal enterprise it only makes sense for a certain percentage of the playerbase's fortunes to be made illegitimately.

Edit: VV that's fair, you've paid your dues. I however am lvl 13 and have mainly done solo races and circled the map on the train shooting at cops.

davebo fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 31, 2015

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Zigmidge posted:

That's User, cowering between our tampas.

Nice license plate. Did they ever come up with a way to customize that without touching that horrible smartphone app?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I named my yacht Leather Chaps in honor of my goontheftauto/SZR roleplay character Dave_Boolean whose character model had no dialog other than screaming "LEATHER CHAPS!" at anyone who nudged into him.

R.I.P. Hell's Rebels

Rockstar why are there still no leather chaps in this game.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

coupedeville posted:

plz let's not do this again :sigh:

Also PC goons get ur pansy asses on GTA online we just started a crew session

Am I crazy or is the mumble down?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Can we just steal the 1009 get out frog from the previous "1009" goon crew?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

YES
need to do this

You got five CRAAAAZY minutes!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

FallinInTheBlak posted:

This is what every "$500m cash and 25m RP Modded DM" is. There is no way to report it as it doesn't violate any rules, if you want to do a dm that isn't bullshit you should host one yourself.

Not having done stuff like that, are there user-created DM's that maybe they stick you in a cage to get executed by a tank but still net you a ton of cash and rp anyway? Is this somehow hacked RP that they give you or is it just an ad and there is no huge fake RP even for the host?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

KoRMaK posted:

Here's an example of a ridiculous race
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEntkwsi1gc

I think stuff like this is what I was expecting/hoping for when I imagined GTA Online being played with goons. It doesn't help that the only things I'm good at are driving and headshotting npc's who stand still while firing at you, which sort of limits me to car modes and PvE situations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

KoRMaK posted:

It'd be cool if heists had players take up the opposition for some stuff. Like the pac standard heist job where the cops are out front of the building and pursuing you.

I'd be down for any role-reversal missions where you're the cops instead of the robbers, but the last thing in the world I want is to spend an hour prepping for a job with a decent payout just to get my rear end handed to me by other players. If they want users to be cops because they're too lazy to program AI for the bots on a mission that's fine but they better award me a quarter million and plenty RP just for failing because I put in my time.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Zigmidge posted:

The real question is - you gonna rock it when it isn't forced on you?

When they first announced its addition I thought that'd be fun as hell once the Oculus Rift comes out (back when most thought it wouldn't have taken nearly this long or cost nearly this much) but the FOV in first person is just way too narrow. I realize everything on a computer monitor is in focus so there is no peripheral vision, but if they could allow us to change the fov to account for what we'd see in peripheral vision in real life then I'd use it a lot more often. Basically I shouldn't have to move my mouse or controller to see things I wouldn't need to move my head for in real life. Controllers shouldn't have to simulate eye movement because they'll never be nearly as fast as eyes.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Excuse me Rockstar why must you hate mods? I wish to drive around in the Mad Max Doof wagon while online please.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7tixdPqG6Y

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Can confirm, Paige loves when I drop the heat.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Mokbek posted:

Heavens forbid people kill other people in a game about killing people!

Eh, there's killing people then there's killing people. If someone's a VIP or gets a large bounty then sure, it's part of the game mechanic to reward me for killing him. If some dude I've never seen is using an ATM three blocks away I'm not gonna get out a sniper rifle and waste him, that'd just be me being a dick. I could just as easily shoot a pedestrian if all I wanted was to headshot something far away. I'm not some "carebear" who thinks no one should ever die outside of a mission but you definitely find the people who just want to play Call of Duty deathmatches but for some reason are in this game instead. But that's when you get a crew together and give them exactly what they want until they get all upset they're being ganged up on.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Starhawk64 posted:

I like the dinosaur emblem. :shobon:

I liked the 1009 crew's get out frog but I'm still in that crew too so I can always flip back and forth.

Edit: vv hurrah!

davebo fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 3, 2016

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Zigmidge posted:

I like Jose's logo because it hits all the right graphics design points - it's a simple clear symmetrical logo, visible from a distance.

It just so happens to also look like goatsee to anyone who bothers spending enough time looking at it.

Yeah but what IS it? All I get is the Red Hot Chili Peppers logo in the center, but don't recognize the border pattern.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
People say its dull but VIP Sightseer all alone on an invite only server is great. I was having trouble falling asleep a month ago when I first really started playing with you guys (and this is after I go to bed at 3am) and eventually I realized it was just all the shooting and action of regular gta activities that just acted like caffeine in my brain. Since then I group up and heist or whatever, but call it quits a bit before I actually head off, then sometimes just pop into a solo server and do sightseer, sell a car at LS Customs. It's a great way to relax and either fly around in a copter or get some first person time riding my Hexer.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Medullah posted:

So I just got GTA 5 for PS4, and the friends I play with are much higher level. What is the best way to get my driving/shooting/etc skills up in the time I'm not playing with them? Is the only way jumping into random online sessions? Or is there anything I can do solo?

Well you can just drive around to increase driving skill. Shooting I would just join random deathmatches and shoot up as many as you can. If you want to increase your flight skill a bunch do the flight school lessons on your own.

I don't know if there's a level requirement to register as a VIP but if your friends aren't around, start an invite only server, register as a VIP and do the sightseer activity, driving between locations each time. That'll get you money and driving experience.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

coupedeville posted:

b-b-but zigmidge how else am I gonna get to rank 500?

I'm surprised they don't just go ahead and sell RP boosts.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

geeves posted:

R* will doubledown on the shark cards in some hilariously awful way.

I'd like them to keep making single player GTA's but if they want to do a one-time reduced price for single player, then have a completely separate free to play online game that's funded by shark cards that'd be just fine with me. Assuming they actually figured out how to prevent hacking. I don't think they'll do either though. They'll just keep half-assing it and all that money that comes in from shark cards is just a bonus.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Those big vertical jumps at the airport are always fun to shoot off of but I've never actually tried to figure out where I'm supposed to be landing to complete them. Any jump that isn't just "go forward very far" I haven't bothered completing.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Dang sorry I missed it. I got married and went on a honeymoon and when I came back I forgot that gta:o was a thing I was really into for a few months. I promised myself I'd get to lvl 100 before I gave up completely.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

Good times, good times.

I think I got a more entertaining shot of this:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Zigmidge posted:

What made everyone come out to play last night? Aside from a few new voices most cycle in and out for a few weeks every few weeks. It was super rad having most everyone together at once.

Was it just a serendipitous evening destined to show us how 16 seat vehicles are broken?

For me it was just the culmination of all the interesting photos posted in the thread very recently followed by someone actually stating what time people are normally on. I figured if someone posts a specific time more people would be inclined to show up, so I tried to hit somewhere in that timeframe, even though I'm normally online later. Thankfully people hung around later into the evening so I was able to play more. It's good times but man I still hate how goddamn long it takes to go from opening the game to actually loading into something fun happening, and then the loads and hangups in between every activity. If people go to all the trouble of starting a private freeroam instance I wish there were more spontaneous things you could just do in the gameworld without having to send out invites and get people to load into some other activity just to get dumped back in the freeroam when you're done.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Why is this thing not called the sarlacc pit?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Sorry I missed everything but that was an amazing hunting pack run.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Cage posted:

I look forward to some hacker spawning 100 of those to crash my game. :thumbsup:

It shouldn't. GTA 4 supported spawning plenty of tugboats while online. Granted, they were usually all on land:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

titties posted:

Yeah, sightseer and hostile takeover VIP missions are easily soloed.

The catch is, if you sit around in a solo server grinding sightseer and hostile takeover, you will quit the game long before you can ever afford a yacht. Heists with goons are a lot more enjoyable, but sightseer is nice and chill if you're catching up on tv shows while playing.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Someone mentioned their employees got 10% of their take. Can you change that payout like you can in heists? Are they giving people any incentive to actually team up together for this or is this really geared for solo players who just want the excitement of pubbies attacking them while they complete tasks? Should people who actually have friends stick to VIP missions instead?

I just don't fancy grinding something dull for 10% when I could be doing something fun like sumo or hunting pack for about the same amount.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

I guess word got out that even if you could do the new missions on an invite only server, you'd still make less money than grinding the solo VIP work, so they decided to "fix" the solo VIP work :P

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Okay, these cunning stunts will surely bring me back into this game in a big way. Can't wait.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Lancia Stratos I love you. Rally racing AND a classic Transformer! Ugh, can't believe I have to watch a movie, eat pizza and play non-gta5 video games with a real life friend tonight instead of you all. I'll be home late though, maybe the group will thin out and there'll be room for me in TrackMania San Andreas.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

CascadeBeta posted:

You can't disable contact in stunt races which means you can't get the authentic Trackmania experience. :(

Oh man, how much would I love gta racing with no collisions and 500+ ghost players simultaneously.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

jerkstore77 posted:

Can I enjoy myself and still get rich and famous in GTA Online if I absolutely hate racing, but love every other aspect including just loving around? I loved poo poo like OJ and goon bus from the old GTA:SA MP.

You can futz around with pc crew most of the time. If you want fun organized events like OJ then you want stuff like Hunting Pack and Sumo. These are the kind of semi-organized activities that aren't any fun if you don't have enough players, and if you have too many players you can't do because they're designed for 8 and you're the ninth person online so just loving sit in free mode all night long hoping one of the early goons goes to bed soon.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Zigmidge posted:

Don't die, GTA thread, there's more content on the way!

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/52663/coming-soon-to-gta-online-bikers-and-more

They're not too specific but it sounds like: New bikes, new properties, new apparel (clothing, cuts, tattoos, etc) and most curiously, motorcycle clubs where the members have ranks. There will be a new mechanic, as well, to customize your choppers.

Sounds great! I can't wait to see the first million dollar motorcycle.

LEATHER CHAPS!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Oh man look what I just came across. This is the theme song for the biker gang Hell's Rebels on the goon-run GTA: San Andreas SZR roleplay server. If I remember correctly the guy who made it had the in-game name Jim_Kickass but I can't remember what his SA username was.

Hell's Rebels Theme Song

Truly not worth clicking on unless you have nostalgia for it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Carl Seitan posted:

Do most people here use keyboard+mouse or a gamepad?

When I'm doing races/stunt series, I see most people are playing with keyboard and mouse, but I just use a gamepad since it makes driving so much easier and I've been too lazy to switch between the two.

When it shows what they're using on the menu, that can just be showing the last thing they used to input so it's not going to be accurate. Ever since GTA3 I've always had a controller of some type hooked to my pc which I pick up every time I get into a car, then set down and go back to mouse+kb for walking around and shooting stuff. Unless of course I'm just getting out of a vehicle to pick something up or walk over to another vehicle. It truly is the best of both worlds.

Also gently caress discord but I guess I'll have to make the switch.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

coupedeville posted:

I'm new to discord; what do you not like about it?

It's not currently sitting on my quicklaunch bar and does everything I already need like Mumble? Aside from adding a new login/password to the slew of poo poo I already have to remember because I'm literally Edward Snowden and refuse to use the same password for any two things, I don't like their cutesy millenial web 2.0 lookin' interface and everything should be green FixedSys font on a black background like my IRC client has since 1994 and hey you kids get off my lawn!

I'm sure it's fine.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Zenzizenzizenzic posted:

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/52666/gta-online-bikers-coming-october-4th

idk which intern threw together this laconic article but sign me up for that mf Rat Bike

Still no assless chaps in those screenshots. I am disappoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I just hope we find more things to do with these vans now that I've pumped $200k into a $16k vehicle. That represents a fair amount of me flying around in a buzzard doing lonely Sightseer when no one is around.

I was in such a rush to join you I just hit okay on the first secondary paint color that looked black which turned out to be a hoity-toity $7k dark wine or whatever.

I'm so fancy,
Youga better know.
I'm in the fast lane
From Grapeseed to Los Santos.

• Locked thread