Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«15 »
  • Locked thread
Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

Corbin Bernsen eat your heart out

Cross posting from the old thread.

Hugh Malone posted:

Yo geeves, I don't really see a reason for two GTA online threads. I think most people playing on ps3 now will be switching to ps4 or pc at some point in the future, and while it's sad to lose all of the history in this thread, your new op is good.

I will be playing on ps3 for a bit longer, and so are a lot of people in this thread. In the spirit of keeping the community together across platforms and generations, can you change the op to read something like, 'this thread is heavily current generation, however ps3 and future PC players are welcome.'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

Cool, thx man

Does anybody with a bunch of money on next gen want to test out crew challenges? They rarely work and are buggy on ps3, but there is some indication that they may be working solo on ps4 and xbone: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/gta-5-next...-online-1475720

In the pause menu go to online, playlist, challenges, and see if anything comes up. The creator of the challenge will have set a wager, supposedly if you beat the time on their race you win the money...

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I didn't get what you meant by cage at first but yes, this would work too.

At the moment the few test sessions I've run have shown people tend to bike to the highway, steal something faster, then quit just outside the city once they realise how long it is.

I've also stuck blockades along the major routes to add extra challenge.

I made a couple of races like this. Building an enclosure and putting the starting grid in there works, but you have to do a couple things since you can't get out of your vehicle or off of a bicycle in creator (at least not on last gen).

Place 3 steps made of flat wooden piles from the construction props against the blue barrier (floating props L3R3). Then set the default vehicle to the Akuma or bati. Now you can do a wheelie hop over the wooden steps and test the race on a bike. When the test is complete reset the available vehicles to only bicycles.

So of course, races like this only work in GTA mode, which can make the race to the first checkpoint a big PITA. If you make a north to south no checkpoint GTA mode race that starts on foot may god have mercy on your evil, black soul.

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

Disable Traffic, enable Wanted Levels, and in my dream - Enable wild animals.

Well, the idea was to have people steal a car, so no traffic just makes it a regular-rear end bicycle race.

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

I may have confused it with the on-foot race plan, which I totally would do and verify and get uploaded and mass-invite 30 pubbies into.

Just been hard to get the "enable GTA mode successfully so that people can leave their bikes, climb and proceed on foot + fistfights.

Do you mean proceed on foot without any weapons, only able to fist fight? Yeah, don't think we can do that.

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

Had it happen on Horse Factory when all-motorcycles. Was unable to get far enough for GTA mode to even activate ("bwomp" and screenflash of weapons becoming active) on the maps I tried to make, may have bugged something out though, all checkpoints rendered on the map but never in the actual game, nor did they work.

No idea what happened there.
Owned weapons are always available to the player in GTA races.

MrLonghair posted:

A triathlon would be fun to design!

I did one and could not find a way to prevent people from using their bicycle for the final running portion. Even if the last checkpoint before the running portion requires the player to climb out without a bicycle, I found most people left their bicycle outside the checkpoint area and reclaimed it.

If you make bicycling the last portion, you could force the players off the bicycles at the starting grid and place the next checkpoint across a body of water like the Alamo sea. Just place it far enough away from shore to have a decent run.

Then at the last checkpoint they can respawn with their bicycle and ride to the finish.

Or you could mess the order all up, just start out on bicycles, ride to the shore, swim across and then run to the last checkpoint. That would be the easiest thing

Croccers posted:

You can force weapons to Pick Up only for GTA Races in the hosting menu I believe. I like making silly bike races so I tend to force sawn-offs and regular pistols, using AP pistol/SMG as the out-of-the-way super powerup.

There's no way to prevent players from using their own weapons in GTA races (edit: with cars, have no clue about bicycle races)

Hugh Malone fucked around with this message at Nov 29, 2014 around 01:39

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

When the mechanic drives up to you from the right side of traffic, where you're waiting, but veers off into the opposite lane and drops your car off there so you have to run across traffic

the mechanic drives up to you? fancy.

E: on ps3 the car just magically appears now

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

I love the Zentorno but I really hate those matrix holes running down the back of it. Almost ruins it for me.

I know what you mean, but you can put the big dual fin spoiler on it, helps a lot!

geeves posted:

The Zentorno looks like a giant turd.

That's because you only see them from behind.

Kelly posted:

I have one of your Serious Fun playlists bookmarked - will they run on the PS4?

Not until I port them, after I switch to ps4. Soon. I've been making a bunch of cool captures now that I found you can place actors in vehicles and capture objects on actors. Was thinking about organizing a ps3 get together soon if anybody wants to slum it with those of us who are left behind.

Wheany posted:

That also sounds like poo poo, tbh.

You seem cool. Friend me on PSN: yolosnypah420mercswagga69

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

titties posted:

You will be non-consensually PvP'd.

lol

titties posted:

A lot of the custom races I run specifically say "no Turismo" because it's barely a supercar and can't make the jumps spanning 2 city blocks so it is garbage.

It's so low in the front that it brickwalls on a lot of stacked ramps as well.

E: dammit garbage dick

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

Stock voltic=fastest supercar in all 'catchup on' races

Don't know why but srsly just use that

Holding triangle improves acceleration too

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

Croccers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsHBVJK_140
Dude was the first one to quit when the job vote popped up.

lol

Video capture is such a great feature, I can't wait to try it. Do you do all that editing in PlayStation as well?

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

Also want to say any race run with 'catch up' on is scrub tier.

If you fight your way from the back of the pack, it's not really you, it's ketchup.

If you get in the lead, the governor kicks in and here comes Pitt MacNeuverston, the dick who wiped out on the first corner.

Don't even get me started on slipstream, that is total bullshit.

Edit: I don't want to hear any of this 'yeah, but on some races' poo poo either. No. Ketchup and slipstream are never good and you are bad if you think so.

E2: if you win with ketchup on you're not really winning, you're just losing a little better than the other scrubs

Hugh Malone fucked around with this message at Dec 1, 2014 around 18:24

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

geeves posted:

Yep, it's pretty simple. You can edit by 1 second, 5 seconds, 20 seconds+ intervals.

Cool, that's good enough for me. I don't need to do sweet overlays and fades and stuff like Broughy.

geeves posted:

Slipstream would be good if you actually could draft with another player and actually pull away from the pack, but all it does is encourage rear-ending and pitting.

Agreed. It's totally broken, and kills your brakes too. I've only ever seen it work with hardcore F1 style players, they can actually use it to break away by working together.

Usually if its an awesome stunt ramp race, or most types of serious races I play non contact. I just wanted to bitch on my soapbox about ketchup and slipstream for a sec for any new people in this thread who haven't heard it from me before

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

Zip! posted:

According to people on the internet this is what I've found out for the best cars to race in once upgraded.

Super: Zentoro
Sports: Elegy RS / Sultan
Sports Classic: Monroe
Coupe: Exemplar
Muscle: Gauntlet / Dominator
Sedan: Schafter
Compact: Blista
SUV: Huntley S
Off-Road: Sanchez
Bike: Bati 801

Replace Gauntlet with Blade, Sultan with Massacro, and Bati with Akuma, and you have my racecar list

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

BitBasher posted:

Hugh Malone has it right on in my experience while I would add the Z-Type to Sports Classics.

Oh yeah, you are correct sir, I should have mentioned it because it has the highest top speed, and that I think of it as the Adder of sports classics.

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

Zenzizenzizenzic posted:

Alright, I've decided: explosive football is my new favorite sport and by far the best Capture mission.

Ahaha thank you. Sorry I disappeared, I hard froze coming out of that last one.

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

im pooping! posted:

I seem to have a problem with doing jazz hands when anyone approaches. Although the other day I managed to get 3 people around me in their cars, we were all doing donuts until I put a bomb on each car, drove off, and detonated.

I COULDN'T HELP MYSELF

Don't help yourself, jazz hands are awesome. I have jazz hands set as my in car as well, it looks awesome when you're a passenger and your driver is wrecking all over the place

E: Zeniszeniszenic! I think I totally fell asleep while riding around with you earlier... I just woke up with my controller on the floor and my TV all blue screen. :o

Hugh Malone fucked around with this message at Dec 3, 2014 around 08:41

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

Psion posted:

I think this is pretty close to done. Final thoughts, cars to add to the notable list, bad opinions?

"What's the best car for racing?" Well, here's what the thread thinks. Best and second best options.
  • Super - Zentorno | Entity XF
  • Sports - Massacro | Elegy RH8
  • Muscle - Blade | Gauntlet/Dominator
  • Sports Classics - Monroe | Z-Type
  • Sedans - Schafter | Stainer
  • Compacts - Blista | Issi
  • Coupes - Exemplar | F620
  • SUVs - Huntley S | Don't race SUVs. Don't even buy one. No, really.
  • Off-Road - Motorcycle: Sanchez | 4-Wheel Option: Bifta -- Both have serious pros and cons; this depends a lot on the race and your personal style.
  • Motorcycles - Akuma | Bati 801/801RR

Super races are the most common, followed by sports. Offroad, Muscle, Sports Classics and Motorcycles happen occasionally. Coupes, Compacts, and Sedans are rare. SUVs are the rarest by a factor of about a billion. Prioritize your purchasing.

Other Notable Cars - you might want some of these if you aren't racing 24/7.
  • Adder: highest top speed in the game. (Super)
  • Voltic: lowish top speed for the class, but incredible acceleration. (Super)
  • Sultan: Mediocre when unmodded, amazing when fully modded up. Four doors, near-perfect balance and AWD, excellent handling. Best 4 door in the game with the bonus of incredibly cheap insurance. Everyone should own one. (Sports)
  • Carbonizzare: Hardtop convertible. Not convinced? Ridiculous top speed and acceleration; it wants to go fast. This car will teach you how to be a good driver - it'll get away from you if you let it, otherwise you'll have a car which can take supers at a fraction of the price. The skills you learn here will make you better with every other car. Bonus: sounds awesome. (Sports)
  • Phoenix: You can put a Plymouth Superbird wing on this. Enough said. (Muscle)
  • Sabre Turbo: Sounds great, looks good, lots of mod options. (Muscle)
  • Felon GT: sells for $9500 at LSC, if you can find one (Coupes)
  • Baller: sells for $9000 at LSC, is the most common vehicle worth selling. Good acceleration. For some reason there are two distinct Baller models in-game. (SUV)
  • Granger: Can hold 8 people - 4 inside and 4 on the running boards outside. The 4 outside players will probably die the first time you crash into something, so make sure you don't like them. On the upside they can shoot guns one-handed so it looks really, really cool until they die. (SUV)
  • Sandking XL: paint it hot pink and run people over in a huge truck. What's not to like? When you hit rank 100, consider upgrading to a Dubsta 6x6. (Off-Road)

Oh god how did the Stanier get there?

I know someone said they like it cuz its stability but seriously, the tailgater is way better and easier to find(ps3) than the Schafter

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

Icedude posted:

Just remembered another one that can go on here:
  • Utility - Sadler
It's the only moddable non-Faggio Utility vehicle, it wrecks everything else in the class, but you can't pick it from the default list or buy it on the internet so you have to luck out and find it. If you're, y'know, the kind of masochist that races Utility vehicles

You can buy it on ps3

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

Icedude posted:

Huh, I guess I looked straight past it. Makes things easier as I haven't found one of my own yet. Also had no idea the Youga counted as a Utility, might have a look into seeing how that handles compared to the Sadler

Youga is a van, but fastest in that class is the Bison which is a truck

Edit: list needs van class: bison#1, youga#2

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

Just a reminder that any goon can still get into WEZL if you want to rock that sweet news team logo

Hugh Malone fucked around with this message at Dec 4, 2014 around 16:39

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

I thought I read somewhere that there was a setting for in-game voice chat thing in the videos?

E: it might just be your voice, I'm not sure?

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

BitBasher posted:

The thing is we don't use in game voice at all, we use party chat. There is a difference.

Yeah, I was thinking that.

So, if you're in party chat, does that carry over through other sessions and everything?

I mean, you just hear what everybody in chat is saying whether you're playing with them or not, like on Xbox right?

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

BitBasher posted:

Yep, they don't even have to be in a game. They can be on a Vita and be in party chat.

Cool, that was the main thing I missed when I moved from 360 to ps3

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Most hairstyles have had multiple hair color options since at least early this year. It's as simple as picking out a different color prefix at the hair places.

No they mean like green and red and purple and poo poo

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

Stringbean posted:

Nah this wasn't "oops sorry didn't know you were in LLJK!" This was "gently caress you I'm a wild card"

That sucks, you should out them here. What's their handle?

it's always uncool to kill crew on purpose if you don't know them already

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

The Fresh Prince posted:

I've been killed and killed LLJK members, but only in the most hilarious of situations.

edit: and sometimes accidentally.

yes, exactly

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

also, Otiosely is awesome

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

Kelly posted:

I sent him a text that said, "sry!" and nothing else, then this happened:

lol

Capture creator wouldn't let me use the word 'muffler' in a description

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

Kelly posted:

I thought it was that too - but it doesn't work. It doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe when I log in and out it'll take.

On ps3 it's in online> options

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

Customfresh posted:

There is nothing I can do about dissapearing ammo and money, right?

After a bit of Googling it looks like it has a chance to happen when you are switching sessions and I probably change sessions 5-10 times a game because it's so drat hard to get synced up with friends. Yesterday I managed to get around 50k from a few missions and I just now logged by in and all 50k plus carbine and pistol ammo are gone. Kinda lame.

I know that can happen sometimes if you don't leave GTA online before quitting the game, also can happen if Rockstar cloud services are down...

Also, during missions, you only keep ammo that you actually buy, but I don't think you keep things you pick up off of NPCs beyond the session.

The only exception to that rule I know of is in Cypress flats LTS, you can keep the crow bar and baseball bat forever

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

If I figure out how to create what becomes an on-foot race across the state/continent I'll know what to name it, thanks.

Make a GTA bicycle race so you can get off your bike, lock the vehicle to the whippet so you can't bunnyhop*.

Make an enclosure of blue barriers around the starting grid. Place a flat wood pile inside so players can climb out.

Easy way: Don't include any checkpoints, just make a finish line. Hope that you don't get killed before the finish or you will respawn at the beginning

Harder way: enclose your checkpoints, or maybe place them where the player cannot get the bike out, so that even if they respawn on their bike it will be useless to get to the next checkpoint.

*set vehicle to motorcycles initially, use the flat wood pile to wheelie hop out of the enclosure for testing. After your test is completed, save the race. Go to available vehicles and deselect everything but bicycles. Highlight bicycles and press square, then you can deselect everything but one race bike like the whippet. This will not require you to test again. Publish the race.

Hugh Malone fucked around with this message at Dec 9, 2014 around 19:35

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

geeves posted:

Catch up and slipstream is only good for GTA races to induce the maximum amount of carnage.

Truth. I only use it on one race, Legion square dance. Woe be unto you when I port that to ps4

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I think I remember that race. Of course I didn't read the description nor did I listen to Hugh Malone's spiel about the course so after I crossed the lake I just biked past everyone, legitimately thinking to myself, "Why is everyone running on foot???"

Ha, yeah, I figured the only way to do a triathlon is to mix up the order, maybe swim, no checkpoint, run to checkpoint, get bike

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I made a deathmatch called Legion Square Dance. Are you telling me there's a verified race called that now?

No, it's mine

Should be verified tho, it's badass

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

Okay this seems fixed.

You're doing it wrong.

Just kidding, it still works on ps3 in creator.

What part doesn't work? The part where you change the vehicles, but you still have to test?

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

Ziploc posted:

Am I the only one who likes catchup turned on?

I don't play for srs bsnss stats. I'm here to have a good time. Catchup means it's a bit more of a crapshoot. But it's a funner, evener crapshoot. With more tailgaiting, less people being completely out of it, etc

I love being in a big messy pack. Hitting trees. Traffic. Fences. And best of all. Each other. As a big warm fuzzy group.

you are bad and wrong

BitBasher posted:

I don't disagree. I like catchup and drafting on but I'm good with racing either way.

i don't even know you anymore

Nintendo Kid posted:

I always prefer catchup being on. Especially when I decide to use my Voltic in a super race with lots of crashing going on.

not surprised here

exactly

so i'm visiting my mom and hooked up the ps3 to the crt
couldn't discern white dots from friends, radar useless, most text illegible

hope to see you in HD tomorrow oats

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

titties posted:

Did you make sure the display type / color output was set correctly on the console?

My PS3 looks pretty good on my CRT, but I have a 2003 hi-res flatscreen Trinitron with component input.

Haha yeah this was no. Basic TV, late 90's maybe, regular rca inputs. Tried different settings, also messed with the TV picture, might have missed something.

Yours is probably 720, no?

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah uh, GTA Online really doesn't like being on a plain old standard def set.

Nope. No sir haha

Netflix looked good though, I mainly brought it to show my mom Lilyhammer so that was cool.

Hugh Malone fucked around with this message at Dec 11, 2014 around 00:31

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

I'm on ps3 (on my TV) for the evening if anybody wants to hang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

BitBasher posted:

gently caress tucking, pull back and do a wheelie on straights, makes you go faster than tucking.

Of course it also matters how you drive into and out of the corners.

that still works, huh?

Bobtista posted:

This is literally a straight line. Heading down the highway to a mission objective and sanchez bro just blows past me. He then wiped out immediately on contact with a car so I still got there first but it's the principle.

yep. when you're accelerating, pull back the whole time. i don't lean forward til i've hit top speed or have to corner hard

• Locked thread
«15 »