Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

The Voltic is a great car. It has some really fatal flaws, like its tendency to flip for any reason if it's even slightly damaged, the fact that the spoiler mainly serves to stop you from shooting out the back of your car, that it can't hit super ramps properly, and that if you're on a straight piece of road then any of the other supercars can just burn past you. You can still win with it. Hell, I'm not even much of a great driver (any PS3 players can attest to that) but I've won my fair share of races in my Voltic, because its acceleration is great, and because most players are even worse at driving than I am.

I haven't played in a while, is there even anyone left on PS3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

titties posted:

TOMORROW, 17 December 2014 @ 7:00 pm EST (GMT -5)

Hell, Thursday is my first day off in over a week and likely my only day off before Christmas. I might actually be able to play. Awesome.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

titties posted:

The 2nd Occasional Johnny Klebitz Memorial Motorcycle Run & Meth Cook-off
3.) <maybe> TheDarkFlame (PSN: FlamingDarkness)

Yep, I'm definitely off tomorrow, so I'm definitely up for this. And I've been up since 7am, so expect my driving to start off worse than usual and continue downwards. Last place, every race! Let's do this! Uh, also, how soon is this?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Where are all you bastards anyway?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

So we get a third property now? Holy hell I could really do with another one so I can have even more cars I'll never drive. Even if I need to put together another fuckton of cash to upgrade another ten cars. Are there any good places up north? I've got the apartment above the coffee shop by the Maze Tower, and one of the ten-car garages by the Airport, it'd be nice to have something a little more out of the way.

As long as this definitely works on PS3. I don't want to buy another console.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

At some point after I spent all my money on car upgrades for my third garage, my mechanic tried to get some money out of me but I was flat broke. Now the guy's on strike. Any idea how to get him back to work? I'm currently trying to do some missions and the prick won't even bring me a car. I'm having to hitch a ride with CopperFronts everywhere I go.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

gently caress, the way that ends is marvellous. And horrible. And marvellous.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

I would actually pay to get a PSN name changed. Hell, I'd even pay Rockstar if that's what it took, because mine is a garbled mishmash of my normal username. Nobody can figure out a way to say "FlamingDarkness" where it doesn't sound dumb and awful.

Did they ever actually give a reason why they can't do this?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Hell, when I used to race a lot I'd beat Entities and Adders just driving my Voltic, even though its top speed is piss poor in comparison. Not because I'm a good driver, but because there are somehow a lot of people out there who are even worse than me. Some are so bad at driving that they can crash on a straight road with no traffic.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

I would buy a PS4 just to hear the swearing this race must have caused.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Pretty sure there are already half a dozen random awful-coloured suits. And there's probably already a clown face paint, right? But then again they can never have enough random garbage clothing updates. At this rate, we might get hiests at some point around the 1st of April.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

I still have this on PS3, but frankly it's a pain in the arse to get it running because it won't read disks until I take them out and put them back in again a hundred times, and to boot I'm also in GMT so my times won't mesh very well. I don't see me getting into any heists.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Managed to get my PS3 to read the disc, now downloading a 1314MB file over the next ~36 minutes. Rock and rollllllllll

Also, for previous updates they've given us the cars for free in single player, is that the case here? And what about the new clothes, weapons, gear, etc? I don't know that I can be arsed to try to get games together on my few days off at the moment.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Turns out, I'm basically bankrupt. So, uh, anything in this update I should definitely buy, anything I should save up for?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Scylla posted:

What's up folks. I've been away for a lonnnng time (still on PS3, unfortunately), but now I'm ready to get back in the game and give those heists a try.

Who's still on PS3 here? (I'm UtterlyWorthless on PSN.)

That's a great username. If I'm on at a decent time, I'm FlamingDarkness on PS3. I dunno what days off I have coming up, but I think I have at least this weekend.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

I was busy this weekend, I hope that the novelty of heists won't wear off before I get a chance to join in. Definitely doesn't help that there are few of us left on PS3.

Slim Killington posted:

Oh also the musket takes the doors off an armored Kuruma in one shot,

Holy gently caress. I love how powerful that is, but at some point I lost mine and I don't even know how. Any way to get it back?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

I've managed to play about five different missions from three different heists so far, briefly ran into Freshprince420, got dropped a few times, now I'm waiting in a lobby with one other guy, and have been for at least ten minutes now.

How does progress for Heists actually work, anyway?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Mine are a kind of blue-ish colour because I picked the Military/LSPD/whatever tint that made the gun mostly black. But if anyone knows what colours each tint makes, I'd like to know. Flares are more fun than they have any right to be.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Heist: Dealing In Dubstas

Setup - Car:
We need a chrome Dubsta. Hell, we need a lot of chrome Dubstas. But one is a good start, we'll use the first one to find the others. How does that work? I don't know, but it does, so get on with it. You should be able to find one by Los Santos Customs. Once you've got one, get it insured, and then stash it somewhere safe.

Setup - Chop Shop:
If all goes well, we're going to be moving a lot of these things. So we need someone on the inside, someone who can get us a good deal on chrome rims, someone who isn't going to tell Rockstar what the gently caress we're doing. Get a nondescript car, some shitbox sedan will do, and stop off at Los Santos Customs. Kidnap the mechanic, fill his workshop with C4, whatever it takes to make sure he understands what happens when you talk.

Setup - Eternal loving Loading Screen:

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

At one point I considered draining all my bullets and seeing how much it would cost to fully restock them. I started with the musket. You can probably imagine how far I got before I gave up.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Powershift posted:

It is horribly unbalanced, but if you use it right it's hilarious fun.

If it were only horribly broken and unpredictably removed you from games or deleted your weapons and armour at random, then it'd be a pretty good example of everything about GTA:Online.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

FallinInTheBlak posted:

Important Crew Information!!!

I've not been playing nearly as much as I did, so, if you need to make room, feel free to remove me. FlamingDarkness. I mean, I'd love to join in with whatever events and craziness PS3 players might get up to, but between my recently aquired full-time job (no more cross-Atlantic all nighters), my PS3 starting to die of old age and abuse, and the sheer lack of PS3 players, I don't see that happening much.

My PS3 stopped wanting to read disks, and I can't afford to get it fixed right now, so it's an arduous pain in the balls just trying to get going in any game. It takes a few dozen attempts before it'll actually attempt to load the game, and if the console locks or restarts or some other dumb thing happens (GTA does dumb things with some regularity) then I'm back to playing disc tray roulette for another twenty minutes or more. I'm sure once I save up enough to get this thing fixed, or move onto proper gaming PC stuff, I'll be back with it. And even then, whenever I play again, I'll be happy to roll under Mountain Crew, represent WEZL News, or go back to my old PUGZ tag.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

On PS3 it was fairly normal to have barely anyone or even nobody online, and that was before the PS4 exodus. The crew system is just really broken, even when I used to only work a couple days and then play a few dozen hours a week, I'd still only see five or six WEZL/MTNC. I expect 360 is the same.

EDIT: I also never understood why, when you can have up to five crews, only one matters at any time. It makes it kind of pointless. It's not like it'd be hard to have someone in multiple crews, or it'd be difficult to invite all MTNC players even if they're currently flying LLJK, or whatever. And it's such an arse to change, for a feature that does almost loving nothing.

TheDarkFlame fucked around with this message at Apr 24, 2015 around 00:11

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

Everytime I did the prison mission, the first guard you walk past starts shooting for no reason so it's a huge firefight.

He's meant to do this.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Okay, someone in the thread said that you could break GTA Online using CheatEngine? I don't actually know what that entails but it doesn't exactly sound secure. I'd like to know exactly how hosed all this is, because a friend of mine is considering buying it on PC, and the one thing stopping him at the moment is that he's also considering getting a PS4.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Thanks to that one goon on PS3 I ran into earlier today, who helped me get the first heist done. I did eventually get another invite from Lester, and found out the true stupidity and unreliability of your average moron gamer. I played for like five hours, and spent at least half of that watching people drop into and out of heist lobbies. I managed to go from the starting heist to stealing the prison bus, that was it. I swear, the second most difficult part of heists seems to be getting enough random people to sit still for long enough to put together a four-player team without everyone quitting. And the most difficult part is then getting them to do anything without dying.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Finally got the opportunity to play Rockets Vs Insurgents. God drat is that an insane clusterfuck when you have 16 people, I can see why the thread likes it.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

People love to gently caress with high priority vehicles. Camping the vehicle, loading it with stickies or mines, stealing it just to joyride it down a mountain and into the ocean, chase it down in a jet, whatever. The best one I had was when I had almost got it to storage and then someone crashed a loving plane into me.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

kaxman posted:

if you're telling me there's no real difference between bringing a level 10 to a heist versus a level 100 then I dunno what to tell you.

I'm not sure anyone said this.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

On the plus side, Alta Street is pretty central, which is great for getting to any of the three chop shops, the airport, various clothing stores, etc. After playing a solid year after launch (and intermittently since then) I know pretty much how to get from that place to whatever I need. But it's more expensive than every ten-car garage, so I would say if you need a heisting apartment, Alta Street is great, but if you have one already then unless it's in the arse-end of nowhere you're fine. Maybe once they up the cap for houses and garages, but you know.

On the note of being in the arse-end of nowhere, I know we've been saying this for a while now but I would really love having a 10 car garage/apartment up north of the city. The few times I play nowadays, I barely leave the city, which is a shame.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

The two main Alta St apartments are $217,000 and $230,000. The absolute cheapest 10 car garage apartments are two apartments in Del Perro for $200,000 and like $210,000

Are you confusing the one "renovated" and thus expensive apartment in Alta St for the other two?

No, not ten-car apartments, ten car garages. Like the two down at the airport. There's a few around the city, they're betweeen $100k and $150k, while 10-car apartments start at $200k if I remember correctly? My point was it's great if you don't have an apartment for heists, but you don't really need a second one, and while Alta Street is in a nice place, it's not worth buying a second one or replacing your first one to have it.

And yeah, honestly I like having cars, even if getting the money to upgrade them is a complete farce. There are a number of cars I own entirely for the novelty of it.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

This thread has neat stuff about updates, patch issues, heist and racing stuff, and that's applicable to all of GTA Online. It's good stuff to know if suddenly everyone's favourite bubble of protection is now even more bulletproof, or what dumb measures Rockstar have implemented to fix dumb glitches that somehow allow people to duplicate cars and get all the money. Like back when they somehow allowed you to sell the Elegy for $57,000, after buying it for free. These things are neat to know, and even if you don't abuse them for vast amounts of virtual poo poo you'll never see again.

There's a few neat things that the versatility of PC gaming brings to GTA Online, and the level of cheating is just one of them. On top of the neat things some players have done with the video maker, like stunt highlight reels and cinematic shootouts, meddling with the game gives a lot of potential for crazy, awesome things that aren't feasible on locked-down consoles. And similarly, it's neat to have an in-depth understanding of what precisely Rockstar are doing, and how badly they are doing it. This guy seemed to be really blindsided by how little effort Rockstar put into their anti-cheating on the PC version, which is kind of the opposite of what we all expected, when we've all been saying since the original launch that GTA Online would be a really great game if its economy wasn't designed to be propped up by real money.

I really don't mind the cross-platform chat. It makes getting things together more difficult when people forget to mention what version they're on, but it opens it up to more people doing more crazy stuff. But because it's a game about virtual loot, that's what people are focusing on, which leads to really dumb strings of "Hey give me money" "Hey can I have some money" "Hey if anyone wants some money, see me in a sec" which is dumb and boring. Sure, actually testing stuff with the game, that's interesting because it actually means something, but I'm not interested in post #523 of someone pleading for hacked cash. Even back when goons were abusing the poo poo out of glitches, at least there was often more to the thread than people talking about how much money they made.

The hacking I don't give a drat about, because it can be interesting. But if you're going to whore yourself out, either A: Do it quietly, under a bridge or in an alley somewhere, or B: Show us what you can do. Make it interesting.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

theguybro posted:

Dude, my and Cypher used to argue about how your name is pronounced so how is Otiosely pronounced

I just always went with "Otto" but to be fair I went most of a year playing GTA Online without noticing how "Otiosely" was spelt.

taters posted:

Yo stopitb, make me a mod so that when I drive around in my tricked out Virgo prostitutes hand be money when I stop near them.

Was it San Andreas where you could earn a thing that lets you get money from picking up hookers? Or was that something from Saints Row? Or am I misremembering that completely?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Policenaut posted:

Chakra Attack is still my favorite talk thing in this game, but it pales in comparison to Judge Grady's JUST OR UNJUST from GTA4.

Talk radio in this game is pretty naff, yeah. GTA4 had a few good things here and there, but I don't really remember that much of it. It hasn't been nearly as good as some of the talk radio stuff from Vice City or San Andreas. Vice City's VCPR had a chat show with things like discussions about positivity and success between a shilling self-help salesman, a overmedicatedly positive woman, and a laidback goth. And WCTR from San Andreas had an interview with deranged action hero star Jack Howitzer (Stallone/Arnie/Etc), who quickly devolves into having a complete breakdown.

Hexenritter posted:

I never said I "really haven't heard" a radio station in the past 25 years, I just prefer not to because the music they play is shitpop and some dipshit blathering about his bitches and bling and namedropping other dipshits over a lovely Protools drumloop. And just because rap is "popular as hell and cross-genre" doesn't mean I have to like it or enjoy the fact that it gets crammed into everything even when it's not even remotely thematically appropriate.

Wow, you sound like the oldest loving dude.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I guess that's true if you want everything in one night. Or not true at all if you enjoy the game with a few friends and easily rack up the millions needed for a T20 or a tank over a few days. Idiot.

There are a few things that put me on the "gently caress Rockstar" side of this debate. I'm not going to disagree with "gently caress hackers", particularly when hackers are being uninventive, thoughtless children on a power trip, but I don't hold them accountable for the issues with the game. The best way to explain it is using Saint's Row.

Saint's Row is loving ludicrous, but more importantly, it's a sandbox that doesn't give a drat about limitations. You start off a cheap punk with no promise except an unending potential for destruction. You beat down the rest of the city bit by bit, taking over, earning a bigger income, unlocking better stuff, becoming more powerful and more unkillable, until the end where you are so tough you will walk into gunfire just to punch a cop in the face, and you're so rich you can grab any car off the street, paint it neon pink, give it spiked wheels and turbo, and then jump it off a cliff and into the ocean, never to be seen again. And you don't give a drat. You fought your way to the top, and now you're there, you can do what you like.

GTA Online has way too many limitations. The player isn't allowed to do an awful lot of things, in a video game about breaking the rules. Things that aren't even unreasonable for a multiplayer game. You can't steal expensive cars, or cop cars, in a game about stealing cars. You can't change your appearance, in a game set in a caricature of Hollywood. And after a year of running lovely jobs for people higher up the food chain, you've killed more people than the entire population of Los Santos, you've blown up more vehicles than a Michael Bay movie, and you're still running the same lovely jobs for the same lovely people, in a game about making a name for yourself. And there's no reward for carrying on with the "story". Your income is still capped at the same dollars-per-minute ratio regardless of which missions you do and how far you've progressed, which makes progression meaningless, particularly when you've already reached the level where you stop unlocking upgrades for things, and at that point it stops being fun outside the joy of dicking around with people, which is a thing that makes a whole ton of irredeemable games fun.

Just... if there was a little more freedom. If there was a little more craziness, a little more unrestrained fun. If there wasn't an entire year between launch and heists, and if there was a little more actual content in between.

TheDarkFlame fucked around with this message at Aug 20, 2015 around 17:08

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

I've finally got myself a PS4, are there enough people still going on PS4 to make GTA5 worth picking up again?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

gently caress, I actually went and got this game for PS4. But I'm working mornings at the moment, so there's no chance I'll be able to piss around with you guys and crash into myself until 5am GMT like I used to. If something actually happens at a reasonable time, then hell yeah.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

If we are doing something on PS4 count me in. Is LLJK still the crew?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

I would definitely appreciate people giving me a hand with heists, at least enough to get some neat stuff unlocked (whether or not any of it is worth buying). So far I only have the Kuruma, and every heist I try to join ends in failure after one or two setups. I'm still amazed at some of the things people will try and do. In the setup where you have to assault a yacht by the pier, I had a level 9 idiot try to land our helicopter in the middle of all the heavily armed arseholes. And I can't count the amount of times we've failed just because someone has died on the way to a heist.

PSN is FlamingDarkness. I'll be on for a bit tonight, since I've a late start tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

The Rockstar Newswire post says is on the 20th. All the screenshots seem to show the same sort of cars you expect, so assumably you can't put hydraulics on your monster truck or supercar of choice.

But if anyone on PS4 wants to get something together, or help me run through a few heists, I've got this weekend off, which is going to have to be enough time to save up enough for a third garage and a bunch of new cars, because I don't have the time to play this game through the week anymore.

titties posted:

Toss out a time itt or message me, PSN: mr_dread. Or use the PS4 community that we set up for this particular reason idc

Uh, dumb question probably, but every time I see someone on this, there isn't a prompt to join game, there is instead a prompt to buy a virtual copy of GTA, is this because PSN is kind of dumb and doesn't realise my disk copy is the same game, or am I just doing something wrong?

• Locked thread
«2 »