Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Me getting an invite to WEZL coincided first with Social Club hanging forever on log in, then with GTA crashing 30 seconds after getting into the game and necessitating a full reinstall of the game. Guess I'll see you all in game sometime, maybe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Cardboard Box posted:

are hackers the only people playing this anymore lmao i don't care if people are just goofing off and having fun but it feels like every server i spawn in is just pure chaos

Before GTA completely broke down on me, I got into an online game where I spent the five minutes before I logged off exploding constantly for no reason.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

AirRaid posted:

I'm starting to get quite annoyed with constant Invites to Siege Mentality. Anyone know how to get rid of those? I accepted a couple and played them, but they still come.

I tried the one on the pier and the only way the defending team could lose was if they all went blind and their limbs fell off. I haven't seen something that unbalanced in years.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Neat, I'll give those a try later. The military base has minced me every time I've tried to get in.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Today I was visited by the fairy godhacker and got 1.5 million before the game started bugging out and saying it couldn't process the transactions, so I finally have a high-end apartment to launch heists from. What should I spend my remaining million on, or should save up for now?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Anyone fancy trading race wins this weekend on the prison lap? I have something in the region of 43 race wins to unlock everything, so I was thinking of putting on a film and getting the whole lot out of the way (or a bunch, anyway).

Yeah, I don't really do races.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 30, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

orcane posted:

What system?

Oh, sorry. PC, and I'm in the UK to give you an idea of time zones.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Awesome, done!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've bought a Zentorno, so that's my supercar requirements taken care of, but now I have two garage spaces in the sticks that need filling with off road vehicles and I should probably grab a bike for the city as well. What are the best options there?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Splode posted:

Nope, tires don't change anything other than how your vehicle interacts with bumps. Same speed and acceleration, same handling. Just like how adding armor doesn't do anything other than prevent other cars from pushing you around as easily without actually making your vehicle heavier.

That's just not true. I haven't tried all tyres, but these are my observations on the following:

Off-road: Great traction off-road, handling seems 'dull' on-road, for want of a better word.
Sport: Medium grip, very spry handling. Easier to spin out than Muscle or Tuner tyres, but that slight slippiness makes them turn quickly, great for threading through traffic.
Muscle: My favourite; decent handling and grip, but handbrakes around corners like a demon. If you find yourself spinning out a lot on handbrake turns, try these.
Tuner: Grips the road like crazy - the least likely to spin out, but has so much traction it understeers a LOT.

If you really don't think tyres make any difference, try hurling a car around with Tuner tyres, then with Muscle or Sport. No idea if different rims make a difference, but I'm guessing probably not.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 9, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Splode posted:

That's all placebo. Do the experiments yourself or watch others do them on YouTube. Your brain wants cock* to not be lazy shits but it's wrong, they are.

I have done the experiments myself and there are very clear differences between different tyre types. It's more of a handling tweak than a gigantic, earth-shattering difference, but it's there and it's noticeable, enough that you might as well spend the small amount of cash necessary experimenting with them.

Again, try cornering and handbraking a car with Tuner tyres, then try it with Sport, then with Muscle. They feel obviously different.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's alright, you don't need to prove me wrong - generally when you push back and someone goes "no, you are just straight-up wrong about this" you are, so I went to LS Customs near the airport, switched out tyres a bunch of time, rinsed the oval by the airport over and over and over, and... yeah, I was just wrong. :shrug: Sorry! All hail the placebo effect!

Interesting video though, so thanks for posting it.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 9, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

You need to be at least level 5. I just started playing with a bro and the tutorial didn't trigger for him (he didn't skip it, he pressed "Yes tutorialise me" and it just dumped him into a session without bothering :v: ) and we're having to go do gang wars and hold up stores/escape cops to grind him up

The tutorials are the bane of my life and a perfect example of Rockstar just not quite understanding what they're doing; the game lets you jump straight into heists immediately, no questions asked, but when you host your own (having done a bunch already, most likely) you have to sit through the opening cutscene, then get talked through the board, and this is AFTER you've dragged together a bunch of players and forced them to sit there while you watch everything. I had people leave because I couldn't skip all that bullshit.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hey, I did some things with goons at last, briefly. :shobon: Even if my best kill was a bit of accidental friendly fire.

"There he is! No wait, he's dead. I'll wait until he respawns... THERE HE IS!" *Perfect sticky bomb toss, realize he hasn't respawned yet and I just iced a goon*

Oh well. I have a headset now, so I'll get on Mumble.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Today's exploits included climbing to the top of Chiliad in the game's best off road vehicle:

And having fun in a boat NEAR the ocean, because driving a jetski out to the point that vehicles cut out and having it sink below the pitiless waves with you still sat on it made a whole lot of real life fears burst out all at once, and I've never been able to go into the ocean in GTA V without it scaring the living daylights out of me since.

I also tried to make a second character, but had to stop after the station erupted with explosions and prevented me from ever seeing the character's face, for some reason.

T1g4h posted:

Just tell your pilot to loop around and fly right behind the enemy Lazer. E-Z mode and it means Demo can then hover right along the ring road that runs outside the prison and rain missiles on the cops inside.

This. Getting behind the jets as the pilot is a piece of cake, so let the pilot deal with the jets while you blitz the prison then take out the police (helicopters in particular). Don't get too close to the prison though, or you're in danger of being shot down.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Absolutely shambolic heist setups with one goon and two randoms, but it was fun. Also, I decided to get on board the Panto train, both figuratively and literally:

If the turning was just a little tighter at high speeds, it truly would be the most majestic car in GTA Online.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Look at guys with their lives and their jobs and their other video games. :smug:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

I need the money not to buy super cars but to flip the gently caress out of random-rear end Sedans I find on the side of the road.

The low hood and high speed of the T20 make it outstanding for ramming cars onto their roof during races. It's the car's best feature.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ugh, I almost had the chance to blow up a gold-plated jet , but somehow it didn't happen. While he was getting in the pilot seat I planted a sticky, then when we got high enough I bailed out and hit the button, but the fucker wouldn't detonate. Next time I'll just bomb it with myself inside.

Fleeca also went spectacularly wrong - the drilling section glitched out, where the drill graphics were screwed up and the drill overheated within a second no matter what, then when I went driver I discovered a 'drop grenade' button I never knew my controller had and killed everyone in the bank, including me.

Speaking of bombing things, I've found my new favourite game - waiting for someone to enter their apartment or Ammunation or wherever, sneaking up to their car and planting stickies inside the door, then closing it and running away. Like a fine wine, it tastes all the better the longer you wait. The middle of nowhere surrounded by no-one gets the best response.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Assisted aim is cool and makes the game more fun to play with a controller against keyboard and mouse. Maybe balance it with reduced damage?

I do however wish it wouldn't differentiate between aim modes during heists and co-op missions. If you aren't working against each other then why force a mode the player doesn't want?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I guess that's true if you want everything in one night. Or not true at all if you enjoy the game with a few friends and easily rack up the millions needed for a T20 or a tank over a few days. Idiot.

How much can you reasonably expect to earn in, say, an hour? In optimal conditions, as a rough dollar estimate? Doing which jobs or heists? Because I'm struggling to see how you could afford a tank in 'a few days' unless you don't have a job, a social life and other video games to play.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It was fun listening to that while I was stuck in prison heist finale hell. :v:

A lvl. 86 who crashed the plane three times, once at the airport. When I took pilot, someone failed the heist while I was still taxiing at the airport, twice. Then when we finally did it, I was left flying around for twelve god drat minutes while they got out of the prison.

There was one silver lining. When the heist ended, I left the apartment, found the armoured Kuruma belonging to the guy who screwed us the most, wrenched open the door, and as he got in and drove away, got one expertly thrown sticky inside. Remember folks, all the armour in the world doesn't protect you if the explosive is inside the car.

Goons really are the only people worth doing anything with. I understand now.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I did the Humane Labs finale for the first time today. Piece of cake, except our pilot 'Crashmaster' turned out to be very aptly named.

Can you guess where he crashed on the map and failed the heist? If you guessed that he crashed and failed the mission directly on the yellow dot that ends the heist then give yourself a prize!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I am having no luck running heists at the moment; both Fleeca and Prison Break have glitched out hard and necessitated quitting and restarting the heists. The drilling section in Fleeca went wrong, with the locks absolutely tiny and out of place on screen and the drill overheating immediately, while in the Prison heist the alarm was triggering before we got off the bus, meaning we got killed the instant we had control again. Lord knows what Humane has in store for me.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm pushing ahead to the requisite level and cash for this character to afford a Buzzard and go on a killing spree, but like cheap crack, I too am finding an increasing hollowness in my heart that I'm increasingly wondering why I'm attempting to fill with GTAO. Even the armoured Insurgent pickup wasn't quite as exciting as I'd hoped it would be.

Still, only three years until the next one!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

mutata posted:

This kind of stuff is what I want more than new heists. Freeroam nonsense and little scripted games like king of the hill that Rockstar can make in a couple months are much better than huge, bloated (the amount of resources and time needed just to do cutscenes that everyone wants to skip as fast as possible is hilarious) quasi-cinematic missions that take years to make.

The first couple of heists I did as a crew member, I didn't even get to see the cutscenes because the leader skipped them, and it didn't suffer at all due to the voiceovers during the missions. I'd happily take heists with no cutscenes.

Anyway, hopefully I can jump on tonight and try the new content on PC.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

SplitSoul posted:

:laffo:

Everything makes sense now.

No-one gets that mad about other people getting something for free, as long as they felt that the price they'd paid was reasonable.

So yeah, I'd probably get mad as hell if I'd spent that much money on something I knew in my heart was worth 1/10 of what I was paying for it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They're called Shark Cards ffs, doesn't that tell you something? Anything?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Vehicle spawning during heists appears to be completely hosed; every setup mission I did tonight, our cars were strewn across the road two miles away.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Big ups to C0upedeville and Usersa for helping me do the EMP delivery btw, as I've been stuck at that mission for a while now; today someone left the Humane finale after one failure because our gunner was completely incapable of shooting anything down, and we failed a second attempt when the now extremely competent gunner dropped out due to his connection. :cripes: Finales are a lot easier to get players for, at any rate.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Did the Humane finale first time, albeit with the chopper cutting out constantly by the end after a hideous barrage of rockets on the way to the last checkpoint, then assisted in the Fleeca finale with what turned out to be a goon. Good times.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I did the prison break finale yesterday and for some reason he was doing it on easy. Weird, I thought, but it should be an easy bit of cash either way and the guy is lvl 60, so he can't be THAT terrible.

Three failed attempts later by the prisoner/host, one before they even reached the prison, I crashed the plane into a hill and peaced out. Treasure every half decent random you find, because with most of them, gross incompetence knows no bounds.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

First vehicles were being spawned miles from anyone. Then 'buy all ammo' was broken and frequently told me that the $358-worth of ammo I needed would cost me $97,000. Today only a single police chopper spawned in the Prison Break finale and the airfield was a ghost town when we did the pickup, then during the setup where you collect Avi Schwartzman, we had no wanted rating until we hit land, and any time it attempted to do so while still on water, the stars would instantly blip out of existence.

Is the whole game just gradually falling apart?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Policenaut posted:

No, Rockstar made more stuff unlock by rank now. It's in the patch notes.

Thank loving Christ. I won't be able to play for a week or so, but after that I look forward to screwing around again.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I am getting crazy lag and having everyone in a mission or heist apparently all leave simultaneously before being dropped into my own session, constantly, way more than before. Is anyone else finding an uptick in this, or are there any settings I should check?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

It's the sunk cost fallacy.

Look who's talking.

edit: Just tried the duplication glitch on PC, totally worked.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 25, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I thought about duping the T20, but no, it didn't work. You'll know it works when the garage glitches on the way out of the race and the words Albany Buccaneer (or whichever car) flashes up on-screen briefly.

I'm up to $94k on my Buccaneers, so I finally bought a second property (with a ten-car garage full of Buccaneers).

I've probably got about $1.2 million in Buccaneers left, so once they're sold I'll go splurge on something nice.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

HORMELCHILI posted:

It wont let me store a dupe in the garage anymore so it might be done.

Does it still let you dupe them though? If so, you could always duplicate and immediately sell once per hour or so. If the glitch still works when I get home tonight, I should be able to clear another half mil.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Huh, the cars I duplicated have reverted to a slightly less upgraded version, with a less expensive horn (and I tested to make sure I had the right car every time). None of my cars have the better horn, so maybe I sold the original and was duplicating a duplicate or something.

Easy money either way, and I should have another ten car garage by the end of the evening, so I'll upgrade the horn, insure it to make sure and try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

DarkMalfunction posted:

"Oh no, I'm making slightly less cash appear out of thin air"

Right? Totally outrageous.

• Locked thread