Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

You should probably mention in the OP that if you haven't played since 2013 and want to transfer your character to current gen, you should probably load up online in last gen once and make sure it saves your character just to be sure.

Also, trying to get into PS4 online is working a bit more now, but still pretty much like this at the moment:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Huh, I never realised those fences were indestructible now. Once I found out that the gates actually just open for you if you've called in a plane from Pegasus, I haven't needed to ram my way in...

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Feenix posted:

Am I bonkers or was there supposed to be:

1) Quick Grenade toss (no need for wheel)

2) First Person on foot but Third Person when you get in a vehicle?

1) Left on the d-pad while aiming

2) First option in view settings, "Allow separate view modes" or something like that

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Yeah, Rank doesn't really matter much any more thanks to the DLC weapons all being available at Rank 1. Why grind up to 70 for the Advanced Rifle when you can hit missions or even just decently populated races for half an hour and buy a fully kitted out Special Carbine?

All it really matters for any more is when full Body Armor unlocks, and some of the more useful call-ins like Lester removing you from the minimap, getting rid of your wanted level, or dunking on people with a one-two punch of setting Merryweather Mercs on someone then having Lamar's Mugger knock them over in the middle of being shot at.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Adder, Entity, and Zentorno make up the trio of race-ready super cars. As far as I know, all 3 of them have their own traits that help them stand out.

The Turismo R is up there with them too, not quite as fast as the Zentorno but it sticks to the road a bit better. I usually pick that or the Zentorno when doing races where I can't use my custom car.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Duke Chin posted:

do not but shark cards

I'm not sure if this is some crazy marketing poo poo or what, but I'm reaching the point where I want to buy shark cards out of spite for how annoying this is getting

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

en1125 posted:

On an unrelated note, my ps4 should arrive tomorrow, can anyone tell me do I still have to play through sp until I open all three characters to transfer my online stuff over to the new system? I can't wait to buy that new dodo.

You only have to play SP up until the end of the North Yankton section. The moment you get control of Franklin you've completed the 'prologue'. I'm not sure if you have to have beaten the Online tutorial too, but that's just up until you get forced to go to the marker for an LTS.

edit: I should probably dig out the guide I made for getting through that poo poo as quick as possible.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Feenix posted:

So wait that helmet I see everyone wearing is legit bulletproof?

Everyone's gonna wear that, no?

All helmets give you some headshot protection, not sure if the Bulletproof Helmets are better than others in that regard. People seem to think so.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Psion posted:

I think this is pretty close to done. Final thoughts, cars to add to the notable list, bad opinions?

"What's the best car for racing?" Well, here's what the thread thinks. Best and second best options.
  • Super - Zentorno | Entity XF
  • Sports - Massacro | Elegy RH8
  • Muscle - Blade | Gauntlet/Dominator
  • Sports Classics - Monroe | Z-Type
  • Sedans - Schafter | Stainer
  • Compacts - Blista | Issi
  • Coupes - Exemplar | F620
  • SUVs - Huntley S | Don't race SUVs. Don't even buy one. No, really.
  • Off-Road - Motorcycle: Sanchez | 4-Wheel Option: Bifta -- Both have serious pros and cons; this depends a lot on the race and your personal style.
  • Motorcycles - Akuma | Bati 801/801RR

Just remembered another one that can go on here:
  • Utility - Sadler
It's the only moddable non-Faggio Utility vehicle, it wrecks everything else in the class, but you can't pick it from the default list or buy it on the internet so you have to luck out and find it. If you're, y'know, the kind of masochist that races Utility vehicles

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Hugh Malone posted:

You can buy it on ps3

titties posted:

I want to say that you can buy it as part of the Hipster update but maybe not.

Also, at least some vans are classified as Utility-class, I know I can race my custom Youga.

Huh, I guess I looked straight past it. Makes things easier as I haven't found one of my own yet. Also had no idea the Youga counted as a Utility, might have a look into seeing how that handles compared to the Sadler

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

Suppressors do three main things, they lower damage, they lower range, and they lower the chance of NPCs that aren't already against you noticing your firing (but primarily this is useful for long range weapons).

Secondarily, they are quieter to other players both in free roam and outside it, so they can result in the gun noises blending in better with ambient world sounds.

Also in Deathmatches or other PvP gametypes (other than LTS), it makes it so people have to be a lot closer to you for you to appear on their minimap from firing a weapon.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

im pooping! posted:

So I made my online character and played for like 3 hours on my PS3 pretty much when the game first came out. I didn't play online again until I got my PS4 and transferred my character, and on PS4 I don't have the special holiday weapons or whatever that I had access to in single player on my PS3. I know some people had them transfer over from their online characters but I guess since I never logged in to online on my PS3 after the first couple days, I don't have them or something. Is it even worth opening a ticket or should I just wait until next independence day or whatever?

If you definitely had them on your multiplayer character before transferring and can't get them in multiplayer now, then open a ticket with them.

If it's just singleplayer where you don't have them, that's to be expected because on current gen all the DLC stuff now unlocks throughout the story like the stock weapons do, so you don't get given everything right off the bat (and can't get the holiday weapons in singleplayer at all until said holiday, but we haven't hit one of those yet so I'm not too sure)

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

I've been playing any random job that comes up the last few days (mostly survival or actual missions, racing bores me) and I finally have like $250k. What safehouses are the 'best' in terms of proximity to good stuff? I like the idea of having a little pad out in Paleto Bay or Blaine County, but the idea of having to drive for 10+ minutes from there to anything worthwhile every time I log on is unappealing. I don't care about it being a penthouse or whatever, just a nice little spot with a decent garage for a few cars

If you want the full 10-car apartment, I'd say Alta St would be the best choice, right around the corner from the big downtown ammunation, not too far from LSC, and directly down the road from the airport if you want to get your airplane on. Also the cheapest 10-car apartment with a view that isn't the side of another building at $223k (there's a cheaper one in the same building but that's only $10k less)

If you just want a garage though, there's a 10-car one over on the east side of town, Popular St Unit 2 I think, that's literally a 5 second drive from the eastern LSC. That's $142k

Icedude fucked around with this message at Dec 13, 2014 around 12:16

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Kelly posted:

Hysterical! If we can use our experience as a case study, Jax turned out just fine - he's probably Getting to the Bottom of Something as we speak.

I expanded the map, but the player names are still there - the settings for the radar are on/off/blip but that didn't get the names.

It's slightly confusing, there's the 'Radar' setting you mentioned that's On/Blip/Off, but there's also 'Expanded Radar' a bit further down the Settings menu. Changing that to On should give you the big minimap without the nametags

e: Unless you somehow managed to get nametags on at all times with that enabled, in which case I'm stumped AND want to figure out how to turn that on

Icedude fucked around with this message at Dec 14, 2014 around 03:45

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

ExplodingSquid posted:

So I noticed no one posted the new photos... so here is a loving AIRCRAFT CARRIER and the link...

Edit: gently caress, sizing...sorry. Forgot what the code is to make it a preview.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/12/...h=+main+twitter

Is that an engine on the back in addition to the harrier-style jets on the sides?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I'd hate to think what decently populated GTA Races would be like now that there's proxies that you can just huck out your car window, even if you are limited to only 5 of them
Anyone tried taking down a Lazer with the stinger yet? Any decent?

Also holy poo poo this penguin mask rules

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Feenix posted:

[edit]
Easiest way to quickly raise my flying stat?

Flight school, down at the airport.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Apparently according to randoms on twitter the update's out now on XBone and PS4

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

A few things while I'm riding shotgun waiting for my minigame to pop up:
  • The Insurgent (offroad) and Armored Kuruma (Sports) both have Bulletproof Tires as stock, even if it's a free one for a race, so they rule if you end up in a GTA race somehow.

• Buy the Armored Kuruma. Seriously. Not only is it fast and a good handler, it's drat near bulletproof against AI, so if you have people ride in the passenger seats driveby-ing people, most contact missions will be cakewalks.

• The Insurgent can survive explosions

Edit: You now have to wait for the text saying that a car you bought has been delivered to be able to get it from the mechanic. Gotta love sitting around for 2 minutes doing jack poo poo waiting for a car I could have had instantly before the update

Icedude fucked around with this message at Mar 10, 2015 around 08:12

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Powershift posted:

Finally got the call for the third heist. who's in?

Sure, I'm down, lemme just boot my PS4 up again (you are on PS4 right?)

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

MrLonghair posted:

Savage costs $1.950.000 and I recommend it. Armour out of paper, mad firepower, sick rocket spam, beats the hell out of everything in firepower, requires fat pilot skills to compare to other air vehicles in survivability.

It's pretty much a Buzzard with the Lazer's nose gun and no reload timer on its missiles, but at the expense of being bigger, heavier and having no co-pilot missiles. It's amazing

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

That was possibly the smoothest Prison Break run I've been on, thanks guys!

Totally going to be running Humane Labs later when it finally comes in and hour or so if you're interested.

I just want the Hydra, and EMP seems to be the one mission from the Humane Labs heist that I just can't get into joining with pubbies...

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

BitBasher posted:

Pick some evening and goons will plow through it with you?

Normally I would, but I work nights and Sundays are the only days I get off at the moment, so it's either today or I wait a whole week again

Good news though, got the call from Lester so I'll be good to go hosting Humane Labs in a few minutes!

edit: Got 4, thanks!

Icedude fucked around with this message at Mar 23, 2015 around 04:07

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Ziploc posted:

I wish that Golf happened within a freeroam session. Players would be passive obviously. But it would make things so much more GTA.

That's what I was hoping it was going to be at first back before GTAO launched, but now I realize it would just mean there'd be a bus parked over every hole.

They could have at least left in the ability to drive golfcarts around between shots though.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

Is the Savage more fun than the Buzzard? I've got $5 mil with nothing really to spend it on. It wouldn't be for free roam so much as contact missions where you actually can lock on to stuff.

I'd say yes, it's got the Lazer's nosegun instead of the Buzzard's useless miniguns, so you never really use the lockons because you can just rain rapidfire explosions down on everything with the nosegun

And if you do use the missiles, it doesn't have the reload time after every second missile, so you can just keep firing them.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

What the hell is the JP I keep earning after jobs, anyway?

As far as I can tell, it's only for deciding who the winner of a playlist is

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Maytag posted:

Shiiit. Around level 80 I tried to buy a second garage and it asked if I wanted to replace my current apartment or garage. Just broke 100 guess I'll try again

If I remember correctly it does ask if you want to replace it but you can also scroll down to an empty slot if one's available.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Fat Care-Bear posted:

They added three new Classical Horns also, probably the best thing about the update.

One of them is a Flight Of The Bumblebee horn that loops and speeds up or slows down depending on how fast you drive

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Duke Chin posted:

Haven't been playing this for a while... Why do some folk have a star next to their name now?

They have a wanted level. It should have a number in it showing how many stars they have.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

While we're at this, remember when missions paid out less than the cost of the pistol ammo required to complete them?

Man, as terrible as the payouts on CEO/Biker stuff is it sure as poo poo is nowhere as bad as it was at launch

edit: oh god, I just remembered you used to lose $5k every time you died too

Icedude fucked around with this message at Dec 23, 2016 around 02:12

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

TBQH most of the supers that I've bought/drove seem to be pretty close to each other in regards to performance, so driving skill is 100% more important than having the nicest super car.

This is absolutely the case. With only a few exceptions (e.g. the Bullet and I think the Voltic) all supers are competitive as long as you drive well. Especially as your average pubbie doesn't realize there's more than "accelerate pedal = go faster". Gotta love getting called a hacker because you keep beating their RE-7B in a Sultan RS

Icedude fucked around with this message at Jan 21, 2017 around 17:13

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

widespread posted:

Also, is it reasonable to switch between controller and KB+M in terms of races?

Yeah, I swap between gamepad when driving am M+KB for on foot or shooting in vehicles and it works fine.

It's just when you try to use them at the same time it goes weird. Trying to move with the gamepad while aiming and shooting with the mouse causes you to randomly drop your gun or start recording replays

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

SplitSoul posted:

Also, how the gently caress do you even complete tier 1 gun range

Take it slowly and always aim for the red spot on the head, tap for each shot and only fire as many shots into a target as you need to drop it. Pistol takes 1 shot, SMG takes 3, the rifles take 5, the MG takes 10, and sniper takes 1. As long as you keep up the multiplier it should be fine. I mean I'm garbage and I'm pulling it off.

edit: and keep firing until you can't fire any more. You still earn points after the last countdown beep

Icedude fucked around with this message at Jun 14, 2017 around 04:42

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

SplitSoul posted:

Guess I'm just a lousy shot, I don't think I've got more than 400 points.

Please tell me it doesn't unlock anything but the explosives pickups.

Level 1 gives you gold/platinum skins for the new guns, and level 2 lets you carry 5 more of every throwable explosive (so 30 grenades/stickies, 15 pipebombs, 10 proxies).

Not sure about level 3, but I'm, sure someone has it.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Cheap Shot posted:

I saw someone had a purple and green gun tint. Are custom tints unlockable? I've only been hearing about gold and plat.

All the other tints are available right off the bat, gold and plat are the only tints you have to earn.

Also found someone who had unlocked FMJ ammo earlier, and holy poo poo a Combat MG with those in will eat through a car in like half a second

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Powershift posted:

They seem really pushy about wanting 4 people in every crew

Or just sell before you hit 25% product so it only gives you one vehicle to deliver/defend. It doesn't seem like there's any bonus for selling in bulk

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

weg posted:

Buying the cheapest bunker in Paleto Bay means I will still have to drive all the way into the city for all my missions, correct?

Yep. The Chumash and Farmhouse ones are the best locations for how close to the city they are, and I think the Chumash one isn't that much more expensive than Paleto

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Psion posted:

apparently the buzzard is still better in speed over an Oppressor because you can maintain a constant rate instead of the boost->glide cycle. The Oppressor, meanwhile, is significantly more fun. and at the end of the day, fun is what we're here for, right? right

The Oppressor's only slower from point-to-point if you're using it like a lovely airplane. If you keep on the ground boosting as often as possible, keep the wings out and push forward to reduce airtime, and use the glide only to go over obstacles like cars, buildings, valleys and cliffs, it's actually way faster.

Either way you use it is far more fun than a Buzzard though, yeah.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

The Quad Lens combat helmets all have Thermal Vision that you can activate through the Accessories page of the style menu, and once you've done that you can turn it on/off any time by flipping the goggles up and down

Dual Lens ones have night vision instead if you care about that.

edit: Also not sure if they were pulling my leg, but someone in my session was doing that stunt plane mission and said that they were able to blow up the truck and it dropped the crate on the ground. Certainly would make it a bit easier if it's true.

Icedude fucked around with this message at Aug 29, 2017 around 16:50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Tula seems to be a "jack of all trades, master of none" deal, while everything else is a bit more specialized. Being able to land anywhere, carry five people and drop bombs seems decent.

The Ultralight is actually probably a dark horse favorite for me; having a gun that the pilot can actually aim is nice, but what really stands out is that carbon prop mod that lets you be permanently off the radar as long as you aren't holding the gas. Seems like it's designed for solo crate running and dunking on snipers.

• Locked thread