Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«16 »
  • Locked thread
BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Survivals are 30k now for going all 10 rounds if memory serves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Bobtista posted:

Can I still run my 16x coveted playlist for funbucks or is that a total waste of time now?

You should be able to but there is no reason to. Just pick missions from the list and do them with 3 other goons, most all missions pay decently now and it's a lot more fun to have some variety.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Psion posted:

[*]ARs: Special Carbine or Bullpup rifle (they appear to be stat-identical) - special note to the regular Carbine Rifle, which does less damage per shot but is more accurate than either.

Last I saw the Advanced Rifle beats both of them in Time To Kill by the numbers.

A c E posted:

It's really annoying that the fences around the airport are now indestructible. Driving around to the jump each time is tiresome.

Most of them were always destructible. They are still destructible in the places that they were previously as far as I can tell. Immediately to the left of the west entrance where personal planes spawn is still destructible, as is at the end of the road from the LSC and the fences to the right when pulling up to the right entrance at the terminal, but that one is hard to hot reliably.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at Nov 21, 2014 around 20:46

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Psion posted:

if the stats I'm seeing are right (no promises, it's a GTA wiki) the Special Carbine hits harder, fires slightly faster, has better accuracy, and equal range to the Advanced Rifle.

I was talking about in game repeated testing. There was a long thread on the GTA forums about it debunking the special carbine. In practical use they may as well be the same though. The difference in actual time to kill is very small. Who knows if that is still true on current gen versions.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

OH NO MAN posted:

Racing with pubbies is bullshit, those fuckers will ram you right off the road when you pass them. Of course this is GTA so that sort of thing is expected, but getting PIT'd by XxXn0Sc0pE420wEEdL0RdXxX for the 58th time still gets kind of annoying. Maybe they all hate me because of my fabulous hot pink car.

edit: also rockstar's servers blew up, RIP

You have to account for that. If you are massing them just run straight into their rear bumper at a 10 degree off angle and be done with it. That takes care of them 90% of the time. You have to bump a car a lot less violently than you think, all you have to do is break their rear tires free of traction, not knock them off the track. The vast majority of player won't throttle down and turn into the skid so they just flip and 180 and get hosed. Gentle love taps, preferably right before a corner.

If a pubbie is passing you in the normal catchup/slipstream lobby just get all the way the poo poo out of their way and let them pass, then repeat step A.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Feenix posted:

Yeah, I umm, have 8 levels and 1.3 million dollars to earn before I can get that so probably not.

Seriously, you can get piles of use out of a Buzzard in missions.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

I played for 10 minutes and just wanted to change my y axis settings but some rear end in a top hat in an armored firebird killed me within seconds of spawning every time. I died 15 times in 10 minutes to the same rear end in a top hat. he was immune to the swarm of cops that was glued to him at all times too. i'm level three!

When you are on the respawn screen hit triangle to respawn in passive mode and be immune to others.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

titties posted:

play for a few hours with goons and you should have enough money to buy a low-end 2-car garage or poo poo hole apartment that you can spawn into. You only need like $100k, which sounds like an unobtainable sum for someone at level 3 but if you're handheld by some high-level bros and brophinas you'll make it faster than you thought you could.

Playing with goons and running missions is a good way to make cash. 10-20k per mission.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

circ dick soleil posted:

Do they have cows in online?

Nope, no animals at all.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Kelly posted:

I did a fists only deathmatch last night, so naturally I have to ask: how were people punching me at super speed from no where near me? Near as I can tell it's got something to do with spamming a second button as you punch?

No, the engine's lag prediction is totally and completely hosed for melee fights with other players to the point of comic absurdity. They will see you doing it to them also. I have no idea why anyone does those.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Kelly posted:

When I run a network test on my NAT settings it fails every time on my PS4. I'm using wifi - absolutely can't connect it via a wired connection. I've read NAT 3 might read as failed - could that be complicating things for me when I try and play?

I have a very basic knowledge of this stuff to the point I am a bit wary to start screwing around with my router.

We don't have any other issues with gaming online. Destiny ran fine on the PS4.

If I remember right NAT type 3 can't connect to NAT type 2, only NAT type 1. Type 2 is by far the most common and Type 1 is the least common. I would think that if you were on NAT type 3 it would cause a lot of issues in a mesh network game like GTA where you are connecting to up to 29 other dudes. I would think it would exclude you from most games and cause you issues.

E;FB

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Of all this game is, stable is not one of them. Online, at least.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Hell froze over and I was put in a lobby with goons. Yay.

Also online seems to be getting better, It's much less common for me to be in a lobby alone and I can generally accept job invites.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Ziploc posted:

Wait wait wait.

I had a full garage of adders in my alt character on 360. Can I not sell them?

I haven't transferred yet.

If they were cloned or glitched adders they haven't been able to be sold in a long time.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Adder, Entity, and Zentorno make up the trio of race-ready super cars. As far as I know, all 3 of them have their own traits that help them stand out.

Zentorno if you want functional.

Moochewmoo posted:

Does the upgrades close the gap for the entity? The little stat bars claim it does.

The stat bars lie. Really loving lie.

I pretty regularly pass supercars in my 4 door sedan Sultan on long straights despite the speed bar being nowhere near as long.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

titties posted:

Don't deathmatch, it sucks asses. In fact, don't do any competitive mission types aside from races. You'll get all the PvP you want (and all the PvP you don't want) in free-roam. You will be non-consensually PvP'd.

A caveat to this is if you can get enough people together Crooked Cops is piles of fun.

im pooping! posted:

I just played a custom race that was a 0.64 mile point to point straight line called 'drag race', sports class, no custom cars.

Dumbest race ever.

It's not really meant to be played as a race, it's used as a benchmark for a lot of people to determine car stats, specifically acceleration.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at Nov 30, 2014 around 18:38

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Moochewmoo posted:

Yeah I dunno. Everything says the entity has a higher top speed. Also all wheel drive is pretty much the greatest. It's life being glued to the road.

The Zentorno is absolutely AWD. Also, regardless of what the stat bars say, the Entity does not have a higher top speed than the Zentorno.

I used to think and argue that the Entity was competitive, but after doing really competitive racing the Zentorno just plain pulls away from an Entity on straights after corners. On half mile straights assuming everyone takes the optimal corner with both cars the Zentorno will gain 4 or 5 car lengths. In really competitive racing the Entity basically never wins and everyone drives the Zentorno. I speak from experience after having to sell my Entity because I held on to it for too long.

It's close, and unless the skill level of the drivers is very similar then it won't be a huge difference. If the skill level is very close the Zentorno has an edge. I fought tooth and nail to keep my entity but eventually had to deal with the fact that it needed to go because the skill level in most of the races I was doing was ruthless.

TL;DR The Entity does seem competitive until the competition is very, very close, then you realize that the Entity isn't truly competitive, it's at a disadvantage.

rally posted:

The stat bars really don't mean anything. Mods just max the bars out anyway.

The car keeps accelerating faster even after the bar is full and you keep adding things that should raise it further. The bars lie. The actual acceleration value goes way past the end of the bar for a lot of cars.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at Nov 30, 2014 around 19:05

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Croccers posted:

How often does this happen unless you're playing with friends or in some kind of competitive ladder (I'm guessing there's something out there, there was a few crews for Golf like that)?
Unless you're racing on airport tarmac tracks the physics throw too much luck into the draw. Sometimes I plough through a stop sign, other times it will kill half my speed. Should I dodge that trash can or drive through it? Is it going to flip my car out time?

With the guys I was racing with on PS3 the Zentorno was literally essential. I could rarely luck myself into a win on gimmick jump races from time to time but on legitimate tracks it wasn't going to happen.

Racing with pubbies I could win with no problem in an Entity because as a rule people suck rear end at driving. When racing with Goons I could win a good chunk of the time in my Entity, but there were a few goons that made it dicey, and after changing out to an Entity it gave me a noticeably better margin for error.

If you have really good control over a car there is no meaningful random factor most of the time. You don't run through signs or trash cans. Clean racing is the only way to go because little fuckups add up a lot. The physics in this game for car control are actually really solid. Surprisingly so.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Lyer posted:

Do vehicle mods add that much in terms of performance? The online races are such a clusterfuck, I really don't want to be doing those if it's not absolutely necessary.

Yes, the difference between a stock car off the lot and a fully tuned car is pretty substantial. Different cars tune differently, so it's more for some cars than for others. For example the difference between a stock Sultan and a fully tuned Sultan is pretty impressive because it gets a really steep bonus from engine mods. Even just the spoiler is a really obvious change to handling on most cars.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Zip! posted:

According to people on the internet this is what I've found out for the best cars to race in once upgraded.

Super: Zentoro
Sports: Elegy RS / Sultan
Sports Classic: Monroe
Coupe: Exemplar
Muscle: Gauntlet / Dominator
Sedan: Schafter
Compact: Blista
SUV: Huntley S
Off-Road: Sanchez
Bike: Bati 801

Hugh Malone posted:

Replace Gauntlet with Blade, Sultan with Massacro, and Bati with Akuma, and you have my racecar list

Hugh Malone has it right on in my experience while I would add the Z-Type to Sports Classics.

Super: Zentoro
Sports: Elegy RS / Massacro
Sports Classic: Monroe / Z-Type
Coupe: Exemplar
Muscle: Blade / Dominator
Sedan: Schafter
Compact: Blista
SUV: Huntley S
Off-Road: Sanchez
Bike: Akuma

The Dukes may also be viable in Sports Classics, it seems to perform great but I haven't had a lot of time with it. It definitely seems to turn better than the Blade.

The Bifta for off road is really iffy for me because the wheelbase is so short it makes it squirrely and can easy spin out through no fault of the driver.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Also, yesterday afternoon/evening I was playing with my real life friend Havok1. It came to my attention that when he was a passenger he was trying to murder every car that came near us and that there were apparently 4 or 5 goons in the lobby and we were in a private chat channel. Apologies to everyone he tried to ventilate, I'm pretty sure it was a number of you. I was trying to tell him which ones were friendlies but that wasn't spectacularly successful when it was like five goons nearby with only two non goon victims pubbies getting molested by said goons.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

im pooping! posted:

I was debating buying an Akuma as my race bike, so far I've liked the stock ones mainly because it's lighter I guess and turns better than a Bati. I bit the bullet and bought a Bati 801RR but I now figured out it's impossible to get custom paint, I have to use livery.

I don't have enough experience I guess with bike races though, so I'm still wondering if I should sell the Bati and just buy an Akuma.

The Akuma has far and away the best acceleration of the bikes if I remember right. It goes like crazy. It also turns really well. Turning really well then getting back up to speed (almost literally) immediately after a turn is a great combination.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Psion posted:

I think racing is really heavily weighted towards acceleration being the dominant stat, which is why I think "picking the best car for racing" is leaving a lot of players not picking the most fun stuff to drive when not racing. If you really like driving the thing, tell me why and I'll put it under Notable. I only own an Akuma and used to own an 801 so I don't know anything about it.

Pretty much yes. Only really long straights or moderate downhill straights will get a car to their top speed. High acceleration will get a car to it's top speed much faster.

Taking corners, even meaningful swerving on a straight will dip you under top speed, so except in some pretty limited circumstances as long as the top speed is close acceleration is a lot more important. The Akuma has buttloads of acceleration. All of the acceleration. It hits it's top speed in a ridiculously short distance. A couple hundred yards if memory serves, and it hits most of it's top speed in something stupid like 75 yards. It's ridiculous.

Other notable cars I would say are:

Karen Sultan, being a monster of a four door sedan when fully tuned with excellent weight balance front to rear and a very evenly divided all wheel drive system with excellent handling. It can peel out all 4 tires. This bastard goes. Best 4 door in the game IMHO with a miniscule insurance replacement cost of 157 bucks. As a note though, it's base model is mediocre because it gets disproportionally high performance boosts from it's engine upgrades when compared to other similar cars. It starts very mediocre and ends great. I can drive this car online and run down supercars when I need to. Everyone should own one if you have access to all the mods. (Sports)

Carbonizarre, for being a slick little rear wheel drive monster with the bonus of being a hard top convertible. It's top speed is fantastic and it's acceleration is great as well. When fully tuned this car is furious and WANTS to go fast. It will also get away from you if you suck at driving and managing a throttle, but it has good traction and balance and a good driver can make it sing. This car will teach you how to be a good driver. It will teach you how to manage throttle on corners and in the rain if you let it. It will teach you how to master a pile of horsepower and keep it in check, a skill that will make you a better driver at pretty much every other car in the game. Also, it sounds awesome. (Also Sports)

EDIT: If you are on PS4 I can pull either of these cars (or any on the race list above) out of my garage fully tuned and let you give them a spin or a ride in the passenger seat. Either find me on or set up a time.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

poopzilla posted:

i'm really regreting getting that place with a six car garage up north

otoh, it is nice getting the gently caress away from downtown sometimes

You can Buy a 10 car garage and replace the 6, then put 4 cars you absolutely will never sell in spots 7,8,9 and 10, the bottom 4 cars when on the organize cars list. Then go re-buy the 6 car property and you will still have those 4 cars on the mechanic call list even though they are no longer visible in your garage. You can still use all 20. That will cost some one time cash though, on the money you lose on the property sales.

Psion posted:

Agreed on both - I'll put your comments in there.

Feel free to edit as needed, I'm wordy about cars and driving in this game.

Psion posted:

Also to help any new players prioritize, what classes of race do you see frequently / sometimes / never?

like I always see super and sports races, I don't think I've ever raced in an SUV, and everything else infrequently. Is that typical?

In order or Rarity races that I see, from most used to least used:

(Most used)
Super
Sports
Offroad
Muscle
Sports Classic
Motorcycles
Coupes
Compacts
Sedans
SUV
(Least Used)

BitBasher fucked around with this message at Dec 2, 2014 around 01:01

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Zip! posted:

Whilst we're creating an info post someone posted this earlier on which is probably useful RE: Guns

Pistols: AP pistol is the best. Heavy pistol is probably the best semi-auto.
SMGs: Sweeper is the best, Combat SMG as a backup. Get the Micro regardless for drive-by purposes, sometimes it's useful over the AP pistol.
Shotguns: Assault Shotgun, but buy the sawed-off too since you can use it from a motorcycle
ARs: Special Carbine or Bullpup rifle (they appear to be stat-identical) - special note to the regular Carbine Rifle, which does less damage per shot but is more accurate than either.
MGs: Combat MG
Snipers: Heavy Sniper
Heavy Weapon: whatever
Thrown: stickies

The Sweeper isn't an SMG! Unless they changed it it uses LMG ammo and it's stats are recorded under LMG's. If you can help it you should only do drive bys with the AP Pistol, the only reason to carry an SNG is if you are too low of a level to own the AP Pistol.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Psion posted:

the way drivebys work with the stupid "can't aim unless you're already shooting" poo poo sometimes the micro is a safer choice. In general, the AP pistol is better, absolutely.

This isn't true anymore on PS4/Bone. You can set the in car scheme to "aim + shoot" which makes L1 aim and L2 fire in a vehicle you are driving. It's quite nice actually.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, the new gen version of in-vehicle shooting is awesome. They even give you a duck button to try and avoid gunfire, it feels like a true evolution of the standard vehicle shooting mechanics.

The duck button actually makes you a much smaller target in some vehicles too!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

rally posted:

The best part of ducking is it gives you a fighting chance when trying to run down pubbies who are on foot. I can normally kill them before they can kill me if I duck as I approach at full speed.

Oh absolutely! Using my car as a 3500lb sledhgehammer is much more effective now! I can probably go 4/5 even if they see me coming as long as I have some speed. With a bulletproof helmet on I rarely get killed driving past people anymore when ducking.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Icedude posted:

All helmets give you some headshot protection, not sure if the Bulletproof Helmets are better than others in that regard. People seem to think so.

Rudimentary testing let me survive 2 headshots while wearing it, so yeah. Surviving 2 headshots makes a huge difference when you are ducking in a car and someone is shooting at you.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Where can you buy bulletproof helmets?

The mask shop I think.

Kelly posted:

And then when we were all in a lobby together on Monday night and BitBasher was driving around in the riot van, it was skipping all over the place like crazy.

It was doing that when I was a passenger as well. It's definitely lag, but it only really visibly manifests when I was a passenger.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

titties posted:

I know this is from a couple pages back but I haven't had a computer for the last few days. Just wanted to add that the Ruiner is also competitive in the muscle car class and will easily overtake a Blade on the straights.

On this topic the Ruiner is a lot less popular than the Dominator but it's more stable on corners than the Dominator is while having the same top speed.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

EDIT: Double post

Fake Edit: Really, I'm just an idiot.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at Dec 3, 2014 around 21:04

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Psion posted:

I looked on the internet to spot check that and everything else people told me and I saw a lot of hate on the Tailgater with regards to racing, so I said sure whatever and threw it on there. I also saw a lot of appreciation for the Schafter.

Tailgater is probably second best but the Schafter really kicks its rear end at most all things.

MrLonghair posted:

Can muggers still drag out players in tanks and take their poo poo?

Sure can!

BitBasher fucked around with this message at Dec 3, 2014 around 21:04

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

MrLonghair posted:

Now we only need a way to deal with untouchable dickheads in jets.

I really think they should put in a Singer or other SAM. Or the Railgun, that would work nicely.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at Dec 3, 2014 around 21:07

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Hugh Malone posted:

I thought I read somewhere that there was a setting for in-game voice chat thing in the videos?

E: it might just be your voice, I'm not sure?

The thing is we don't use in game voice at all, we use party chat. There is a difference.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Hugh Malone posted:

Yeah, I was thinking that.

So, if you're in party chat, does that carry over through other sessions and everything?

I mean, you just hear what everybody in chat is saying whether you're playing with them or not, like on Xbox right?

Yep, they don't even have to be in a game. They can be on a Vita and be in party chat.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

SisterFister posted:

This is pretty cool but can be confusing for newcomers. The first time I played on a server with goons, I was confused why no one was talking and I just left after like a minute.

Use the phone in game and text them! They may not even know you are there. It happens sometimes like last night where I am playing with real world friends and in a private chat channel but can't hear anything the goons are saying. I can't really have it both ways.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Hugh Malone posted:

lol

Capture creator wouldn't let me use the word 'muffler' in a description

You also can't use "retard" and of all things, "R*"

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

titties posted:

(I have been called a friend of the family by an 8-year-old online)

In a room full of 12 year olds (AT MOST) racing The Commute long ago I was called a "Motherfuckin hard racin' nigga" after 3 straight wins. I didn't know how to respond to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

My first horrible youtube upload: Seems About Right

• Locked thread
«16 »