Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Man, stealing people's personal cars (with a cargobob) and throwing them in the river (which doesn't trigger an insurance hit for you) gets people ANNOYED. Especially, it seems, when they keep replacing them and you can pick them up from outside Mors Mutual three or four times in a row before they cotton on to what's happening. Other likely spots for car hunting are at the heliport, at the airport, and at Sandy Shores airfield, which all have handy cargobob spawns nearby.

Extra bonus points if you steal someone's car while they're inside an Ammu-Nation, and they come out looking for it and have to decide whether they want to take the insurance hit when they shoot you down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Craptacular posted:

Another set of ideas:

1. Players drop money like NPCs when they die. Not necessarily all of it, maybe just a percentage.
I thought they did already. Like a certain percentage of carried cash. I know I've picked up money from dead players.

quote:

2. No more withdrawing or depositing cash from a cell phone, you have to go to an ATM. Nobody uses ATMs right now. How do you stuff cash into a cell phone, anyways?
Wait, what? I use ATMs all the time because I didn't know you could use your phone to do it.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Policenaut posted:

God drat there's an achievement for beating a heist finale without taking damage?

I could see a sniper or maybe a getaway driver managing that.

I'll be up for heists (PS4 - VicLudorum) as soon as I can get a decent solution for voice chat. I tried the default PS4 earbud/mic but fuuuck that thing.

Hobnob fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 7, 2015

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

TheDarkFlame posted:

Turns out, I'm basically bankrupt. So, uh, anything in this update I should definitely buy, anything I should save up for?

The armoured Kuruma is a tough little bugger and well worth the 500k or so cost. (Unlocks after completing the first heist, which will net you about 160k.) The flare gun is real fun, too. Everything is janky at the moment, though. I lead the 2nd Fleeca setup missions with a goon which got hosed up, then on restarting it I was forever falling through my apartment building. I managed to complete it later with a pubbie leading it.
Most of the time joining any heist is failing for me at the moment, either "No Rockstar Servers" or just stuck downloading forever. The only other time I got in it was a fail-on-die one and the fuckwit pubbie leader couldn't restrain himself from wiping me out when I was driving a bike.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Boy, everything seems to be hosed right now. Can't stay online for more than a minute, can't even play single player.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

carb0nex posted:

What mic are you looking at? There's a cheapo $15 one at bestbuy, but of course it isn't available at any store anywhere near me. Useless.

If you don't mind ear buds, the Sony PS Vita ones with a built-in mic are only $9 on Amazon and are so much nicer than the pack-in PS4 earbud.

If I'm on (PS4 - VicLudorum) I'm always up for any heist action that's going. Between Rockstar flakiness and idiot pubbies I've yet to get very far.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Pork Pie Hat posted:

When everything falls into place all at once on the Prison Break heist it's just the best.

I tried the Prison Break finale with three different sets of pubbies today. Every group failed no matter how many times we retried it. One time we almost had it finished but apparently the pilot flew the plane into a mountain, but mostly it was the prison officer or the prisoner dying. For some reason I was demoman every time, so I lost count of the number of times I shot the bus driver, drove the bus to the airfield, blew it up, got in the buzzard, and shot down the jets. One day I will finally complete that mission.

On the other hand, after that I found a fairly smart pubbie group that did the Humane Labs finale and it went off first time pretty much without a hitch. I do like that you get the nightvision and rebreathers unlocked in freeroam afterwards.

Hobnob fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 18, 2015

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Thank god, managed to find a goon crew the morning to do the Prison Break finale. I had just about given up ever getting that one done, after about 30 attempts with pubbies. But we got it done on the second try, some close moments on the airfield with cops cars and helicopters exploding all around, but we did it. Awesome.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Holyshoot posted:

So the iPhone ear buds will work?

I thought I read somewhere that the Apple ear buds have some weird connection incompatibility and won't work with the PS4 controller.
I use the PS Vita ear buds which are only $9 on Amazon and work nicely (once you set the audio right so you don't only get chat on one channel). The mic is supposed to be fine too.

Edit: Looking it up, it seems the Apple ear buds swap the normal mic/ground connection which means people only hear squealing noises when you speak.

Hobnob fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 22, 2015

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Avocados posted:

Yeah some daily objectives aren't incredibly exciting. I have to spend 5k to get Lester to bribe the cops while I cause havoc, except it seems near impossible to attain what GTA considers "havoc" and using explosives gets expensive real fast.

You need something like 20 vehicle kills during the few minutes the bribe lasts. Don't bother deliberately killing people, that doesn't seem to count. I managed it by blocking an intersection, calling in the bribe, then chain-reacting a bunch of the cars in the traffic jam.

Edit: BTW if I'm on (PS4 - VicLudorum) then anyone feel free to hit me up if you need someone to join a mission or activity to do a daily objective. Or any heist - I like heists.

Hobnob fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 25, 2015

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Runways are usually the best places for long wheelies. You can do 10 seconds with a Bati or a sanchez without any problems at the airport.
I've never managed the "stoppie for 200ft" or whatever achievement, though. Never found a bike that I can do them well enough on.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Powershift posted:

$200k isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. I've thrown $100k in ammo at pubbies in a night.

And it's not like you need to spend that much every mission - once you've done it once it's rare to spend over $3000 or so for a mission's worth of ammo unless you're a profligate rocket/sticky/homer user. It's worth having full ammo just so you only have a single step to top up everything.

Nintendo Kid posted:

You get incremental discounts of 1% for every few Commendations other players give you (might even be a 1% for each one). On my character I've played since 2013, I've got 6% discount built up.

So you should always mash commendation on other players and encourage other players to do the same for you, everyone wins.
Er, what? What is this commendation mechanic, and where does it appear? I've been playing for months now but never seen an option for that.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

titties posted:

My favorite missions to solo:

A Titan of a Job
Defender
Chopper Tail
Mixed Up With Coke
Rooftop Rumble
Trash Talk

With the Kuruma, even the normally near-impossible Death From Above is easy solo. Drive in, waste a bunch of dudes, drive around to the back, kill the target. You can even take the photo without leaving the car, then all you need do is lose the cops.

Solo protip - a lot of missions where you steal a vehicle, a wave of enemy vehicles start spawning as you get in the target vehicle, but they eventually stop. Get straight back out and into the Kuruma, then kill everything arriving until no more enemies appear. Then you can drive the target vehicle without problems. Most of the "steal the car/truck/trailer/RV" missions work like this. Even in The Los Santos Connection, the enemies will eventually stop spawning and you can hack the laptop in peace.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Aurain posted:

Is there a way of encouraging the game to give me Trevor's contact missions? I'm apparently 1/6 for those things.

I think some of the contact missions need you to complete previous ones before they'll be offered to you. And the some don't unlock until level 70 or so.
Try calling Trevor and requesting a mission?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Slim Killington posted:

I want to seriously loving murder whoever is to blame for me having tennis as a daily

The good news is that you don't actually have to complete the whole match to get the daily; I was playing it earlier and the pubbie I was playing with set it to 3 sets. After 1 set I started losing deliberately to get the thing over with and he quit, but I still got the daily credit.
I dunno, though, I'm sure I didn't get the credit when someone quit out early when playing a few weeks ago - maybe you have to complete at least 1 set or something. Or perhaps Rockstar tweaked it recently.

(Edit: I checked and some people report that as long as you complete 1 game it counts even if you quit).

Hobnob fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 28, 2015

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Policenaut posted:

When you finish all the heists you can rehost them from the planning room, but I think only if you've cleared them all as the host?

As long as you've finished every heist (doesn't matter if as host or crew) you can start any of them. I've only ever hosted Fleeca but I can rehost them all. Not sure if it just counts finales or you need to have completed every part.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I've had a few times where everyone just "leaves" my server. It usually happens on free roam sessions, but there were a few races (one had everyone else finish and I was last [stupid custom cars]) where everyone in the race drops, so it could just be R* having lovely auth servers or something I dunno.

That happens (to me at least) on PS4 fairly often so I think it's just network wobbles or R* problems rather than anything malicious. Though sometimes I do get stuck in a lobby where I'm the only player, and trying to join any other session or job hosted by someone else will fail, and the only way to fix it is to quit/rerun the game.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
I don't really feel there's any point to grinding up shooting. Along with driving, flying and stamina, it'll max itself out pretty naturally by playing the game. Play some contact missions where you shoot a bunch of people, or do survivals, and it'll climb on it's own.
I've even managed to max stealth though I have never really done that deliberately, so I'm not sure how that happened. The only ones I've ever tried to grind are lung power and strength, and only for a bar or so because it just isn't worth it.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Also be aware there are a few odd missions that don't show up in the jobs menu and are never offered to you by phone. They can only be triggered from the actual blue circle locations when they appear (and they only appear for a limited period of game hours), and the markers don't even show on the map so you can't start them that way.
They are basically contact missions (and some, like Crystal Clear-out II & III, and Dirt Road can be soloed) but seem a little bit broken. You can't even thumbs up or down them afterwards.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

cka posted:

turn off open matchmaking in the online options to stop randoms from wandering in, invite whoever through the race setup screen

At least on PS4 you can still get put in with randoms even if you have open matchmaking off, if you start a mission that already has people waiting. The matchmaking setting only seems to prevent people joining a job lobby that you are hosting.
It may be that Criminal Records is too popular not to find someone waiting for it. You could always create your own version of it using the creator, it's pretty easy to use. You could just make it a straight drag race down a runway or something if all you want to do is trade wins.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Ra-amun posted:

Anyone got that list of good missions you can do solo?

If you have an armoured Kuruma, pretty much all the contact missions that allow 1 player can be soloed with minimal effort. Technique is basically sit in the car and kill everything with the AP pistol, until things stop spawning, then trigger the next spawn event, then get back in the Kuruma, repeat.
(There are some tricky missions - Dry Docking in particular - where you have to do something like crack a safe while enemies infinitely respawn, that are possible solo but probably not worth the hassle.)
The mission The Los Santos Connection is a good one because it naturally takes just about the max-payout time (~15 minutes) to complete by the time you've done all the stages. Plus you get an extra $8000 or so (in addition to the ~$20000 regular payout) by picking up all the packages in the crates at each location.

Without the Kuruma, the Blow Up I/II/II missions are pretty easy, and Defender and Chopper Tail are good bets. Avoid High Priority Case unless you have access to a helicopter.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

VulgarandStupid posted:

Simeon's missions usually pay around 7k for the cars that aren't hard to find, minus any damages and minus ~780 for paint, oh yea and you have to get rid of a 2 star police rating once you take the car and drive all the way to the southern docks. So, they are actually kind of awful. Selling a Baller or Felon every 45 minutes is way easier and pays more.

Also selling to Simeon doesn't take into account any mods on the car. I found one of the modded Sentinel XS spawns in Vinewood, which sells for just under $15k at a mod shop. It happened to be on Simeon's list, so I took it to him (in perfect condition) thinking I might get bonus cash, but no, it only paid out the normal $9k.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

T1g4h posted:

Buzzard. From what I hear the Savage is a big, fat, weakly armored pig, and the Valk owns but is really only useful with a full crew of 4.

Comedy option: Hydra, because in hover mode it's basically a helicopter :v:

The Savage seems inherently no weaker than the Buzzard (in fact it's harder to shoot the pilot out of it), though I wish it was a bit better armoured against bullets. It is noticeably less agile though, which makes it easier to target. The benefit is the explosive cannon and the no delay on spamming rockets.

The Hydra is really cool but I wish it would count as a helicopter for spawning purposes.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Funky Valentine posted:

There are so many ways to gently caress up Prison Break and after I saw the helicopter get nailed by the prison's AA that night, I knew I had finally seen them all.

The ending of Pacific Standard is the worst. You wouldn't have thought it beyond the wit of most people to jump the bike off a cliff then press two buttons in succession, but the number of times I've seen players fail to get off the bike, or get off the bike but not pull the chute, or gently caress it up in some other way boggles the mind.

Special mention goes to the pubbie that was so much slower than the other players we ended up waiting several minutes for in the dinghy, almost to the time limit, only to see him come barrelling down the cliff in a loving NOOSE van which he flipped and crashed into all of us, destroying the dinghy and everyone in it.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

FallinInTheBlak posted:

Trevor's Series A heist where you have to go to the yacht and steal all of the cocaine, I was on the boat team with a level 10 and I thought that I was going to have a tough time but the level 110 and 86 who were on the helicopter team crashed the helicopter 3 teams before they made it near the yacht

There is something real screwy about the helicopter side of that particular mission. I ended up doing that one a bunch of times and had all sorts of issues on the helo team, like not even being able to board the helicopter's pilot seat, or having it kick out both players in mid flight, or just spontaneously explode on us. It was probably lag or something but it's definitely the heist mission that has been most glitchy for me.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Bobfly posted:

You can't enter or exit submarines underwater, can you? That would probably make increasing lung capacity almost fun.

Also, near-unrelatedly, does golf still increase your strength somewhat? I'm past the 80 mark, but I can't be bothered to punch any more random NPCs. Rather play 30 rounds of golf.

Pretty sure you can at least get out of a submarine underwater, not sure about getting back in. I remember drowning after getting out of the sub to get a closer look at the north coast UFO.
The easiest way to grind lung capacity seems to be the stay under water and snack to keep your health up method. Though supposedly the diving thing works too.

Golf does improve your strength, about 20% of a (little) bar per full round is where I clocked it. I heard the single hole trick no longer works.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Fishstick posted:

So how hard is the actual Humane Labs raid? From looking at the wiki, the flow seems to be much easier than prison break. I just want that sweet insurgent.

Really not hard at all on the ground team, as long as both members are a little cautious and use cover. I'd say the prison break shootout is harder because it's much more open.
The only times I've failed the labs raid is because the pilot/gunner couldn't protect the helicopter.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
If you have an armoured karuma (or better yet, start with a karuma then switch to an attack helicopter) then The Los Santos Connection is a useful one to solo. You can grab an extra $6k or so in drug packets in various places.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Anyone have any tips for dealing with helicopters when you are alone on a boat with no roof? Besides the obvious "shoot the helicopter"

If it's a non-attack helicopter (not a buzzard using its built-in guns), stand on the boat and shoot out the door gunners (you'll be able to auto-aim at them, if that's enabled). Then the helicopter will follow you, not firing, and no new ones will spawn because it is still alive.

If it's a buzzard - you're probably out of luck. AP pistol might take out the pilot, or (if you get it smoking) slow it down enough that you can get out of gun range.

Heavy sniper Mk.II with explosive rounds will take down all copters in two shots, but against AI it'll just spawn a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Phweengee posted:

For strength building there's a custom job that sends endless waves of clowns at you to punch. I went from 20% strength to 100% in 30-45 minutes. You'll need a second player to do the game mode. Apologies I can't recall what the name of it is

You can also start up a Gerald mission (so your alert level will never raise) and then go somewhere busy like the beach front and punch pedestrians for an hour.
Supposedly you can also make a deathmatch in the creator and when testing it (against NPCs) it will still level up your stats.

• Locked thread