Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

This has been frustrating me for a couple weeks simply because it is totally unnecessary. We are using Exhange Archiving company wide to get rid of PSTs but there are a number of higher-ups that refuse to have their email anywhere near the cloud or on our servers. They also have different preferences for organizing their email. One in particular insists that we do not split his archives by date. The only other option is to split them in such a way that there would be a ridiculous number of PSTs by next year. So I've been searching for an alternative that would be acceptable.

The first was to try using something like MessageSave to archive emails as .msg or .eml files and rely on Windows Search and indexing. Unfortunately Windows does not export all the metadata with either format to make accurate search results possible.

The next was to use MailStore, which was almost perfect except there was no ability to manually manage the archive (via drag/drop or other moves).

So next I started looking into a different mail client. Thunderbird is showing the most promise but I'm getting the impression that it will become slow or unstable eventually. However I've also stumbled upon maildir. So I'm toying with the idea of running a Linux VM with a mail client that supports both Exchange and maildir. I'm not sure if that even exists but that's where I'm at now.

The last option will be to purchase a single license for an on-premise enterprise solution and deploy it locally to each machine. It would need to be something (relatively) lightweight with Outlook integration (though gently caress Symantec).

So does anyone have any ideas?

Edit: has anyone used efiler or e-rkive?

Drighton fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Exchange Archiving was built for this task, if the higher ups want an exemption then let them carry on with their PST files that are stored locally, but keep a record of how much extra time it is taking you to maintain that particular poo poo-show, and how much it's costing to do endpoint backup for those users. As well as how much time they lose to their Outlook client making GBS threads itself with that much mail to index.

There's not really much else you can do, this is a problem that has been solved except some people don't like the solution.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

There's not really much else you can do, this is a problem that has been solved except some people don't like the solution.

Hence the frustration. There are plenty of options available but they all seem to be lacking something.

I've been testing efiler today and so far it is the best candidate and seems to have regular upkeep by the developers, but it has a terrible interface for both archiving and search. Still it's probably the best I can do for these guys until they join the rest of the company on the server.

Thanks for the input.

• Locked thread