Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think a lot of it also has to do with how free the licensors are with their IP. HBO seems pretty "touch nothing" whereas gearbox let Telltale play with main characters in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Got through it. I didn't mind linearity and the game rubbing my powerlessness into my face, but outright cheating to prevent me from derailing pissed me off. Did you manage to free the slaves and not to piss Dany off, getting a huge chest of gold from her? Here's 10 barechested gladiators for you, half of whom die 5 minutes after leaving the ship. Did you prevent Whitehills from hiring an army? Never mind, they still have enough to recreate the Helm's Deep siege. You tried to invite them to the feast and kill them? Forresters poison the wine of the Whitehill family patriarch only and hope his children and soldiers don't mind to see their lord dropping dead. You successfully stole the only physical proof linking you to Tyrion and ditched the bloodied knife? Never mind, the King's Landing CSI finds you anyway.There is silliness such as Elaena outright stealing elite Northern marines from her father like they were robots that require an authorization code to proceed, Rodrik learning about the traitor in his council and doing gently caress all to uncover him, Gared screaming "I don't want to kill you" before getting a choice between slashing Britt's belly or trying to hack his arm off, or Royland betraying the house when it started to fight back against the Whitehills because they are too meek to the Whitehills. It made the ending even less satisfying than it was - it's hard to believe it's the result of your choices when you see the universe bending itself to force this particular outcome.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Varam posted:

I suspect this is part of the reason Tales from the Borderlands is a much better game than Game of Thrones, even if it didn't click for you personally -- GoT didn't need to be more than a lazy cash-in to get people to play it, whereas Tales needed to be good in order to justify the existence of a Borderlands adventure game.

I wonder how well that's going to work out for them in the sequel that everyone angry about how S1 was handled and ended is never going to buy.

I imagine the search rankings on youtube for "Tell Tale Game of Thrones Season 2 No Commentary" are going to be fairly high for people who just want an ending to the story instead of the awful cliffhanger Tell Tale dumped on them.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just finished it. What the gently caress was that ending? I expected like another hour to actually wrap poo poo up instead of... just ending?

And gently caress off to anyone who didn't tear Cotter's goddamn heart out.

This was basically Game of Thrones: get poo poo on repeatedly, the game. Meh.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I kept trying to get Cotter killed because gently caress him.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I knew Cotter was hosed the moment we got to the camp. I decided "gently caress it" when they presented me with that choice because I still had no idea what the point of the grove was as they were asking me to rip his heart out of his chest and I figured I'd just do the most ridiculous poo poo the game allowed from that point forward.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just finished it. What the gently caress was that ending? I expected like another hour to actually wrap poo poo up instead of... just ending?

And gently caress off to anyone who didn't tear Cotter's goddamn heart out.

This was basically Game of Thrones: get poo poo on repeatedly, the game. Meh.

So exactly like the show?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The difference is the quality of the writing. Like we can sit here and talk about how great the books are and that they are better than the show, but the show still has it's moments.

This, whatever it is, is like a high school fanfic that got set upon the world too soon.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Max posted:

I knew Cotter was hosed the moment we got to the camp. I decided "gently caress it" when they presented me with that choice because I still had no idea what the point of the grove was as they were asking me to rip his heart out of his chest and I figured I'd just do the most ridiculous poo poo the game allowed from that point forward.

I think after I realized that this was Get poo poo on Repeatedly: The Game after episode 2. I was trying to be all diplomatic in the first couple, but after that, I said gently caress it and tried to kill anyone and pick the most ridiculously choices as well. It made it way more fun.

gently caress you, Coal Boy, you get your head taken off for me.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I think after I realized that this was Get poo poo on Repeatedly: The Game after episode 2. I was trying to be all diplomatic in the first couple, but after that, I said gently caress it and tried to kill anyone and pick the most ridiculously choices as well. It made it way more fun.

Eh, I just had her get her head cut off. I figured since the option is there, she'll die right at the beginning of whatever season 2 is.

Then again, there is no way I'm playing that.

Best moment of the game is still all the TV actors making GBS threads all over your decisions at the end.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah the Mira thing was win-win. Either you frame someone and hilariously get their head chopped off, or else Mira dies. The literal worst and most boring character in the game.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I will say this, when you play the game without any diplomacy or hope of your choices matter and go for the most crazy options, it makes it more enjoyable. Kill everyone. On purpose.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Yeah they really hosed this up, imo. It was clear that you were supposed to feel bad for him but from practically our first interaction my whole opinion was "gently caress off, kid." which really took any weight from that "choice".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

a cop posted:

Yeah they really hosed this up, imo. It was clear that you were supposed to feel bad for him but from practically our first interaction my whole opinion was "gently caress off, kid." which really took any weight from that "choice".

Did we ever find out who hired him to help us?

• Locked thread