Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Karpaw posted:

I think this series will show whether Telltale is stuck in a rut or has promise for the future. Focusing on story-driven games is all well and good but it doesn't absolve you of the need to innovate and experiment with mechanics, instead of thinking that PROFOUND MORAL CHOICES ON A TIMER (that eventually play out the same way except for minor details) is some kind of golden formula that you can coast on forever.

Same here. Im hoping between the criticisms TWAU and TWD got Telltales crafted this game accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Dinklage sounded like he was phoning it in for Destiny...

I know my earlier post here mentioned my doubts about this game, but I'm overall feeling optimistic for it. Telltales should know they have gold here with a story and character driven game based on a red hot franchise right now thats arguably bigger than The Walking Dead (I think the zombie fad is pretty much burnt out now).

The fact they got some of the actors (playing main characters, no less) from the show should demonstrate how focused they are on making this successful.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Dolash posted:

The family reminds me quite a bit of the Starks.

Between that and the fact that you're playing as five people in a franchise known for brutally killing off characters it's not really a good sign...

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

It starts AT the end of Season 3 and ends right before Season 5, so chances are events in season 4 are going to get spoiled.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Everything looks awesome so far, although the facial animations seem a little...stiff to me.

In It For The Tank posted:

To play as someone outside the family will provide an interesting angle to the overlying goal of protecting the family.

I think it was mentioned that playable characters will include people connected to but outside the Forrester family.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Finished this on PC. Complaints: Needed more polish, especially in the beginning. A lot of graphical glitches such as clipping, janky animation, and some weirdly misplaced objects. Also some framerate inconsistency. I wouldn't make a big deal about this except that Tales of Borderlands didn't have any of these issues with me. Fortunately, these issues smoothed out as the game went on.

Overall, I had a blast and hoping Telltales hurries up with the next episode because :drat:. The voice acting from the TV cast was pretty spot on (Dinklage didn't phone it in!). Although I think the guy playing Ramsay stole the show.

Also gently caress Lord Whitehill.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Another minor complaint: As far as I can tell theres no skip dialog button or anything. Makes replaying this again a bit more daunting.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Dolash posted:

I wonder, if this game is a success will they do another season? With Telltale's development schedule it could become a regular between-seasons thing for the show.

I read that Telltale has a "multi-year, multi-title" partnership with HBO so we're probably getting at least another season in the works and a spin off or two.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I thought it was just Starks/Frey.

:eng101: Minor correction: It was the Starks and Tullys and all the minor houses serving them (including Forrester) versus Frey and Bolton

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Draxamus posted:

What I'd like to see is more actual branching paths in these games. I want wildly different experiences depending on your choices.

I think that's what Telltale is going for in the long term with this series. You make a lot of decisions in this episode that you didn't see the consequences for just yet, so we might seem them later on in future episodes.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

Would a guy like Ramsay Snow be able to get away with knifing a lord in his house, especially a child? Would there be no consequences? I know this is a lovely setting run by lovely people, but that seems like a lot for people to get over.

Yes. He and his daddy are pretty much the law now in the North. Even if the remaining Stark loyalists throw a fit, its going to mean gently caress all because the Boltons are in charge. As for him being a child...remember season 2 starts with a bunch of kids, even babies getting massacred and nothing is done about it because it was ordered by the king.

Roman Reigns fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 5, 2014

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Funso Banjo posted:

I think this may be wishful thinking. Because they've had the chance to do that before in other games, and haven't. Is this where they are going to change? No evidence that they can change, as far as I can see.

I won't deny that it is. Decisions that players have made in other games were just dropped as episodes went on.

Spikeguy posted:

But have they ever stated that your decisions would have long term consequences, or the games would have a lot of branching paths?

Eh...they usually they have that blurb in the beginning of their games implying that they do but up to now everyone knows that's not really true.

Honestly, any hope I have of seeing GoT being different from past Telltale games is based on what I've read about it. But even if it isn't I'm perfectly fine with that. As long as they tell a great story with great characters I'm A-ok.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wonder how much Essos is going to be a part of things with Asher. It would be nice to see some new things like the other Free Cities, but I am assuming they have been avoiding showing anything not already seen in the show, which is why it's all North/King's Landing/Wall stuff.

Unless Asher just loves being in Essos, I don't see him staying there for too long when Malcolm asks him to come back. Although it would be nice to get a glimpse of the few places Dany devastated on her liberation campaign to see what the after effects up close are like.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

On another note... what do we think the North Grove is?

My initial instinct is "omg it must have something to do with the north and the white walkers and the wildlings and omg it's way more important than this southron BS

But then.. it's not like anybody aside from the reader understands the importance of what is going on north of the wall. So why would Lord Forrester be so insistent on it's survival.

So.... what could it be. Their words are Iron from Ice. So maybe it's the central source of ironwood or something.

Pretty much what I'm thinking. Some sort of magical site that causes their wood to become "iron". The game does make a big deal of how unique it is. I also don't trust the Maester in relation to this. He seems pretty nosey about things, particularly about the North Grove.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Wait the North Grove is above the Wall? I figured it was near the "ironwood"

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I thought it was implied that Duncan was planning to bring back Gared soon to help the family out and that getting experience as ranger would help. I think he even mentions he'll need Gared's help eventually.

But given how Northern lords actually give a poo poo about the Wall and the Night's Watch, I guess that makes more sense.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Elissa is really the only one that feels like a copy to me. I get how some people think some of the cast are stand-ins for people on the main show, but I thought the characters were pretty distinguished in their own personalities.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Dinklage was doing garbage lines for a garbage game, and lines for a tie-in game, its not exactly surprising he phoned it in.

Interesting enough both games written by the same guy (although Bungie supposedly gutted what he wrote for them)

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

I laughed a lot when someone claimed that Ned Stark was smart.

That maester seems shady as hell, he's totally up to something. I think he knows something about the Ironwood and will betray the Forresters for it.

He does suggest giving up the Ironwood to the whitehills without negotiation. And he was suspiciously absent when Ramsay shows up. And someone did have to let those whitehill troops in...

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

This series really makes you eat poo poo, doesn't it?

Have to say my favorite bits were playing as Asher "Han Solo" Forester.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I didn't stand up to Gryff because I'm HOPING TellTales anticipates that some players want to keep the Whitehills oblivious that the Forresters are acting against them especially after what Gwyn tells you.

I also just kept thinking about that old ironborn saying the entire time "What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger". My time will come.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I don't know, I thought that part was pretty cool.

Everything else, especially Mira, was utter nonsense and this was a miserable train wreck to play through. Which makes it a true GoT game, since the show has basically devolved into that as well.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Max posted:

Haha, I'm watching the epilogue, and I love how they have every show actor just talking about how terrible the Forrester house is.

Probably my biggest problem with this series. I get that its based on a show/book that's pretty dark and takes a dump on happy endings, but getting kicked in the teeth from beginning to end relentlessly makes for an unfun and dismal experience.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm playing it tonight but just to confirm nothing Mira did this entire season has mattered in any way, right?

Nope.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

No but I was legitimately pissed when Jon Snow talked. Everything he complained about was something that none of us had any control over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I'm wondering if I should check out the The Walking Dead. I've heard a lot of people say it's the high mark for this type of game, though after hearing bad things about the original AMC show for years I've just kind of stayed away from that entire property.

It has nothing to do with the show other than one or two minor elements. You'll actually enjoy it more if you go in knowing nothing about The Walking Dead. Season 1 is critically acclaimed for a reason, 2 not so much. Play the first season at the very least.

• Locked thread