Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, I'm seeing this trainwreck through to the end but I'm totally done with Telltale after this. This is the exact same poo poo that happened in TWD Season 2 where characters do complete 180s and contradict past events all for the sake of cheap twists and contrived conflict.

Sean and Jake were really the ones keeping the ship in shape. At least Life is Strange Episode 4 should be out next week.

Tales from the Borderlands is really, really good and its too bad people aren't more interested in Telltale series that aren't grimdark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
The trailer for the telltale minecraft thing looks absolutely awful. Like, that art style is just hideous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAnRtMEDrvU

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
The Minecraft one is perfectly fine. The plot is obviously kid-friendly to a degree no other current telltale series is but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being better than Game of Thrones for example. Its likely going to end up being a fun little adventure story albeit nothing special. I do think the Minecraft art style is kinda ugly (mainly the character models, everything else is fine), and the cel-shaded look of the other series just looks better.

I think one of the biggest hurdles of Game of Thrones series is being the fourth Telltale series that is grimdark where all the choices are stuff like choosing which character you let die. After two seasons of walking dead (and DLC) and Wolf Among Us, it really begins to wear thin and feels like an almost lazy way to create drama and "feels". Also, this last episode was straight up paced badly.

Considering Telltale just finished their best series ever in Tales from the Borderlands, I wouldn't worry too much about the companies future. They've made two great games and other ones that were enjoyable enough. They'll almost certainly put out another great project in the future although this one will not be it.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Pretty much everybody agrees The Walking Dead Season 1 and Tales from the Borderlands are Telltales best works overall. Wolf Among Us is good but not great. Walking Dead Season 2 isn't terrible but is kinda mediocre and ends bad. This one is just blah for many reasons but the biggest is just how tiring it is to go through the motions of making "tough" grimdark decisions with no happy outcome for the hundredth game in the last 3 years. 90% of these decisions are always whether you choose to "sacrifice" a character for some greater good or straight up choosing between two characters (you can only save one!!!!) which begins to feel like really loving cheap attempts to manufacture the type of edgy drama I usualy associate with teenagers. Telltales really needs to explore a different mindspace, which is one of the reasons Tales from the Borderlands is uniformly regarded as so excellent and fun. Unfortunately, after an okay first episode, the second episode of the minecraft one was a rushed hack job so it'll probably be a while before a good one is made, and after many more Walking Dead and Game of Thrones iterations.

• Locked thread