Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I ran into some strangeness.

In episode one I picked the decent, peaceful guy as my Sentinel but when I started this episode, the warmongering bald guy had the glove and was Sentinel. The game didn't remark on the job changing hands in any way, which leads me to believe I may have run into some kind of bug or scripting error.

Anyone else see anything like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Had yet another weird little scripting error.

During that talk with Jon Snow where he recruits guys to go gently caress poo poo up at Craster's, he chides me to be cool with the mofo who murdered my family. Then he adds in a weird voice that sounds like it was from a completely different take, "and no more talk of this Grove of yours, either" when I had never once mentioned it to Jon Snow or anyone else other than my uncle.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Accordion Man posted:

Telltale, you're really poo poo at this whole writing thing.

What really pisses me off is that (SPY SPOILERS) in episode 1 I actually picked Duncan as my sentinel. Then episode 2 rolled around and Royland was my sentinel. I replayed the relevant bits from episode 1 to retry and still got the guy I didn't pick forced on me as my sentinel. I picked him because his philosophy appealed more to me, and I've played according to that philosophy since, trying to be conciliatory when possible and avoiding escalation.

AND I STILL GOT THE loving "YOU'RE A BRUTAL WARMONGER" SPEECH FROM DUNCAN.

Eat a dick, video game.

EDIT: you know what I've got more.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Alright finally sat down and played the episode...

Right, your post was a GREAT example of why I think Game of Thrones is the worst modern Telltale series (from TWD onwards). We all know that The Walking Dead actually didn't offer the player much choice in how the actual plot turned out, and what your choices mostly affected were how the other characters reacted to you, what kind of man your Lee was and what kind of impact you made on Clementine.

The Walking Dead succeeded in creating immersion through illusion. You FELT like your choices mattered. You FELT like you were an active participant. Sure, if you'd go back and replayed the games with different choices, the illusion would be shattered, but if you play the game the way it's meant to be played, it's one of the best experiences.

Of course they can't fool us again, so now that we know what the trick is, it's going to be less effective, but it can still work. Tales from the Borderlands is hilarious and again feels like I'm making choices and playing an active part, instead of just being a passenger on a carnival ride.

Game of Thrones didn't have that illusion or feeling for a second, and it's largely because the player is a fly among giants. What's the loving point in making a choice between killing Ramsey Bolton or not, when you know he's not going to die in a loving video game? What the gently caress does it matter if you choose to ally with Tyrion Lannister or not when we know he's going away in an episode or two? Who gives a flying gently caress about how you interact with Cersei Lannister when it's been written in stone that she's a villain because that's how it is in the TV show?

The Walking Dead succeeded because despite being in a licensed game world it dealt with original characters. The few exceptions were mostly cameos. Game of Thrones COULD have succeeded if they'd stuck to original characters and events as well, but nope, they had to try and copy the Starks 1:1. We have to have a character in King's Landing so we can see the Lannisters! Someone HAS to go to the wall so we can see John Snow! Everyone and their loving uncle from the TV show has to pop in for their Jesus moment and lord it over the player, highlighting how insignificant and meaningless they are and how little agency they have!

Honestly, playing the Game of Thrones games feels like bad RPG experiences from my youth, when our game master was this abusive rear end in a top hat who filled the games with his Mary Sue characters (all with plot armor of course) and flaunted his omnipotence in our faces. We'd devise a daring and inventive plan to get us out of the evil duke's prison only for the GM to pull some rabbit out of his hat to magically foil our plot. Rinse and repeat for two years. That's what this loving game feels like.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 30, 2015

• Locked thread