Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
I didn't find the ending so bad.

I put on my Telltale armor first though and mentally prepared myself that about half the things I want to do just aren't possible, and just made the best choices I could towards making those goals happen anyway.

Also people complaining about it being too brutal/dark/not rewarding... for one thing they can't go there before the source franchise has any kind of happy ending. That much I can understand about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Wafflecopper posted:

So I had Mira marry that dude and let the coal boy get killed instead. Sounds like if I'd picked the other option, she'd have just been killed. So if you pick that option you spend all five or 6 or whatever episodes with her, achieve absolutely nothing to help your family whatsoever, and then die pointlessly in the last episode? lol

Well you can let her die a Ned Stark-esque death where you can spit in the dude's face in the end and then say "Iron from ice!" as they kill you. It was kinda cool. I knew in the jail cell it was over. That shithole King's Landing had claimed another victim. The only escape option was not an escape, it was just helping the evil guy. So I let her go out like a bad rear end who had done it all to defend the Forresters. Also she helped the coal boy and Sara in my game.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Max posted:

Really, Mira's story is just [Insert interaction with canon characters here] personified. Like, they devoted a whole section to being forced to talk with Tyrion last episode that has 100%, zero bearing on the story.

I mean I think she was more of a stand-in just to get a taste of how King's Landing is one big Kafkaesque death trap for anyone drawn to using its power

Just like the whole Forrester family are blatant stand-ins for the Starks. It seemed to me that it became pretty impossible for them to use the real cast, so the series is more like "here's a recreation with different characters to at least give you the experience of being in the world, and yes most of them will die too

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

timp posted:

Besides, I'm sure you understand what I mean when I say it's less of a video game and more of an interactive story, right? Halo, Zelda, Mario, Dark Souls, Minecraft, literally any video game out there, you're accustomed to controlling the character and, ultimately, the outcome. You play to win. This was not a game like that; it was never intended to be a game like that. Just sit back and enjoy the story and appreciate the fact that, if you want to spit in that fucker's face for what he said, you get to see how he reacts to that.

This. Telltale is still kinda struggling to do anything better than TWD1 did, but at least they haven't turned towards the generic "action hero always wins" fiction for 8-year-olds. Like you said practically every other videogame does that in spades. They've built their whole company on working on more niche content and it doesn't pander to all audience whims, that's for sure.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
Finished Tales From the Borderlands today since there's been so much talk about it. This seems like the Telltale thread nowadays, so...

Anyway I feel like I agree with say 80% of the hype. (i.e. people saying this game is their best ever, or on par with their best stuff)

The good: The comedy level is pretty crazy good. I don't think any series has melded hilarious comedy this much with the actual game world besides Saints Row, and it's refreshing. Some of the animation sequences (especially super slick music/animation openings) are just a treat. No denying that. And a certain AI character in the game uses so much bizarre filthy lingo it reminds me of being a teenager again so bless you Handsome Jack At the same time they get away with some other characters that are just CUTE. Like cute cute. Somehow not annoying, but actually cute. I also feel like they do an impressive job of bringing you into a world that's obviously falling apart at the seams from the nonsense of starting out as a FPS game, but it still feels real. Overall they achieve a lot of different things in it that get your endorphins flowing, so that's cool.

The missing parts for me: I hate to say it because I feel like they cover so much with the writing but it's still something that bugged me The character arcs are really weak to me. Mainly because they don't really have any. Everyone finishes where they started psychologically other than... a robot that becomes a much more sentient character offscreen. And an insecure accountant... that becomes the leader of big group of people offscreen. So yeah, they sorta overlooked that. Makes me suspect the writers didn't really have a plan for why they choose Rhys and Fiona as lead characters other than to pull off a grand plot reveal that their friend thought they were both liars and had to set up an elaborate ruse. Then again Borderlands is mostly comedy and caper plus whimisical and gorey sci-fi, so maybe I'm just expecting too much in complex characters, but I like to nitpick so sue me. And similar to other Telltale games there' no real gameplay but picking dialogue / watching scenes / then some QTE. They're loving great at the limited area of stuff, but if you're the person that keeps hoping they've finally got cheeky and added some shocking new cool gameplay, nope not really. Even still this is easily worth buying the poo poo out of and enjoying over a couple days.

• Locked thread