Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Just finished this, having wrapped Dragon Age yesterday, and Ep,1 of Borderlands last week, it's been pretty busy gaming wise but I have some thoughts.

1.) People are right, the aping of the show intro looked like poo poo.
2.) The uncanny valley thing is definitely real and it's a bit off putting at times.
3.) Ethan getting shanked at the end really surprised me, even though I know Ramsy is a poo poo and probably should have expected the episode to end in a death
4.) As some people have noted, being based on a known property really makes some of the story less suspenseful or engaging, for instance We know that Tyrion is not long for the court, so working with him seems even more questionable. Also, no matter how much you want to murder the poo poo out of Ramsy, you know you'll never get the satisfaction because he's still alive in the books
5.) The action mechanics felt clunky in this setting. The sword fighting looked really wooden and the quick time bits felt weaker than they did in other post-TWD Telltale titles.
6.) We all know that the Telltale formula, much like BioWare's, operates on a bit of illusion of choice in that you can't have wildly divergent outcomes from an episode, and the game is more about roleplaying and inter-character relationships. With that in mind, I think a lot of the decisions in this game feel meaty in the actual moment, but if you take a step back an use your book knowledge, they tend to diminish pretty quickly. I would recommend plowing through the chapter in one sitting as opposed to spacing it out so you don't spend too much time thinking about your decisions in the context of the books/show until you've already committed to them.
7.) The Stark analogies are a little too on the nose. I feel like they wanted to give you the Starks, but they couldn't so you got Stark clones. I'm sure Asher is going to interact with Dany, since that's our only connection to the world outside of Westeros, and I'm already worried that that sequence will fell like out of place pandering. This game is really tricky because they clearly want to throw you up against known characters for their fan appeal, but the closer they push you to the central SoIaF story, the less freedom they have to do anything novel.
8.) So in conclusion, it's not a bad game, but I'm more excited about the next episode of Borderlands at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
The mother as traitor thing would be stupid as gently caress, and not a particularly good parallel to Catelyn. Cate gives up Jamie to get her daughters, she doesn't send Tywin Robb's battle plans and ask him not to hurt Sansa. Also, secretly sending your uncle to get Asher and then immediately telling your enemies that you're secretly bringing him in with a mercenary army is nonsensical. If they go this way, it's just bad writing. I know the maester is probably too obvious of a traitor, but any of your immediate family are terrible choices.

I still feel like this is Telltale's weakest game in this line. The constraints of fitting into game of thrones established story is just brutal. Like, you know what happens at Joff's wedding, so you can immediately see the issue with Tyrion as an ally. I like some of the characters, but I just feel like none of the decisions I make matter even remotely.

Though on that note I'm confused why anyone thinks that the letter is worth a poo poo. It's signed by Tyrion as master of coin. Tyrion is a traitor, why should anyone care what he agreed to. It has zero value unless something wasn't made clear. Cersei won't trust you by virtue of having a connection to Tyrion. So what's your game? Short term it has no value because you have no traction with the Lannisters. Long term, if someone else takes the Iron Throne (obviously not in the scope of this game), then again, why do they care if you had a deal with the Lannisters.

EDIT: Another thing I'm confused on who cares about the knife? Like, coal boy is all -a knife with a dead man's blood! But there is no Westeros CSI. People already think the guy is dead, his knife with blood on it doesn't confirm that the knife was even used to kill him (maybe he stabbed his attacker). Even if you make that leap, how does that even remotely pin it on you?

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 25, 2015

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

1st AD posted:

I'm not sure how laws work in Game of Thrones but if the letter is an actual contract then I'm gonna assume it's legally binding and Tyrion being persona non grata or not, that has to be real valuable to Mira.

Basically it's Mira deciding to take a short term gain that costs her torching relations with Margaery and that dude that is totally good for helping you if you burn this legally binding document that will give you all the money you need to save your family.

Knowing the plot to the story kind of colors all my decision making because I figured that being in Margaery's favor is not viable long-term and the family needs help now. Though for all I know the letter isn't an actual contract and instead a drawing of Tyron's dick.

My understanding is the crown does whatever the gently caress it wants. They award titles and strip them as they please when different people take on the role of Hand. I mean, we're working with a system where the value of any document or appointment is only as good as the person who gave it. Targ supporters lost a ton of poo poo that was legally theirs when the Robert won, this is just a smaller instance of the same thing. Essentially, the crown is the law and can supersede anything a member of the small council has done. Obviously doing that erratically will cause problems for you - see the Targs, but it's not like this was a long standing agreement, this is a back room deal with a guy who is convicted of regicide that wasn't even enacted before he was removed from office. No one would bat an eye at the crown ignoring it.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Der Shovel posted:

Had yet another weird little scripting error.

During that talk with Jon Snow where he recruits guys to go gently caress poo poo up at Craster's, he chides me to be cool with the mofo who murdered my family. Then he adds in a weird voice that sounds like it was from a completely different take, "and no more talk of this Grove of yours, either" when I had never once mentioned it to Jon Snow or anyone else other than my uncle.

Yeah, I got that too

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Viridiant posted:

I don't completely believe that there is actually a spy in the Council. I believe that Gwyn is a better person than her family, but I also believe that she will do anything to stop the strife between the Houses, including lying to Rodrik to get him to do what she wants. She was basically just telling him the exact same thing the rest of the Whitehills have been saying: Submit. She was just doing it in a less overtly forceful way.

But then how does she know Asher is coming back? I felt like she gave you info that would have been confidential.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

AdjectiveNoun posted:

What happens in this episode if You got the Glenmore betrothal in episode 2? What excuse do they give for why you can't fight back yet?

You're not actually married

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

bobjr posted:

Another reason why I think the mother would be a traitor is she went for Ashur while Ethan was still alive, before Ramsay and the Whitehills made things even worse. It makes me think that Ashur and whatever sellswords he got were meant to be protection, and before that could happen she had her youngest taken hostage and her second youngest son killed, so she's trying to defuse things in the way she thinks is best.

If so, she's making a case for dumbest woman in the seven kingdoms, which is a pretty tense race

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
As I've said, I feel like GoT is below average as far as Walking Dead era Telltale games go, but I will feel a lot better about it if it let's me user Asher to murder the gently caress out of everyone not named Forrester. Odds of that seem slim though given GoT's everything sucks always theme.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Which is why for next episode With the "you're invited to come to the Whitehill castle", seems like the perfect chance to see the rest of the Whitehill family and show that maybe they aren't all assholes like Ludd and Gryff. Both seem to have massive chips on their shoulders,, but it'd be funny to see if they're the only ones like that in the family, the rest being more like Gwen, who are pretty chill about the whole rivalry thing. It'd certainly make you question if killing their entire family is worth it for the "crimes" of just a couple assholes.

Can't we just kill the assholes? I know the answer is "no" this is GoT, but at this point do you really just let your murdered brother go? I mean, we KNOW you can't kill Ramsy so it's the Whitehills or nothing. Also it seems like they were in the Bolton pockets ahead of things, which makes them traitors anyway (if you're pro-North).

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Kainser posted:

I mean, they have been vassals of the Boltons for centuries. It's not like lord Whitehill was involved in any way in the betrayal of house Stark at the Red Wedding.

Ah, I didn't retain that from the earlier games apparently

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Thoughts:

Overall, this was probably a marginal improvement as an episode, but playing Life is Strange at the same time is REALLY making me aware of how bad Telltale's railroading is/feels. A lot of the time I have a hard time caring about my choices because they just don't feel like they matter. In the Walking Dead, the relationships with the other characters and how you developed Lee were what mattered even if all the main plot points were fixed. In GoT I've got too many characters to juggle and it's hard to get really attached to any of them to see their development and a lot of the side characters are meh. I get that they're trying to ape the GoT jump around style, but I kind of wish the game was just Asher and Beskha bumming around the East.

The Whitehills are so cartoonishly evil that I just stopped giving a gently caress because the game has made it seem like there is no winning, so I might as well just gently caress them over as much as possible before I run the Forrester's house into the ground. I assume there is no way to stick with the Watch and avoid execution as Gared because that seems like a pretty big plot split. If they did it, I'd actually be impressed for Telltale, but that whole section felt like peak railroading, and totally irrational behavior by everyone. Really, no one believe that Britt, who is a huge piece of poo poo and blames Gared for getting him sent to the wall could possibly have attacked him? No one? And since when has anyone in GoT given two shits about killing in self defense?

Beshka as a former slave was telegraphed a bit too hard. Dany also seemed really unlike book Dany. She was pretty antagonistic to a guy whose family (well mother's side) backed hers up to the end at pretty great personal expense. It just felt off. I was also totally baffled by why we were supposed to give a poo poo that Beshka killed her former master. Sure we were supposed to listen to Croft, but why does he give a gently caress? What makes him think that Daenerys "kill the masters" Targaryen is going to give any sort of a poo poo about a former-slave killing her master -a guy who made children fight to the death? I mean REALLY? Really, we're expected to believe that this could be remotely a thing that Daenerys would care about much less object to?

It also bothered me that the spearwives didn't even pause to consider that Cotter might be telling the truth. There are a bunch of north of the wall languages some of which Cotter would presumably know, why not try one of those?

Also how the gently caress dumb do you have to be to railroad the player into Gryff for Ryon as a trade? We just established that they have no idea that we have Gryff captive, which seems like a hell of a good position to be in given that we lack the army to kill them. So instead we're going to swap their rear end in a top hat son for a kid. Remember how they just took him in the first place? Well how the hell do you suppose this trade keeps them from just marching Gryff right back into the keep and taking over again? I'll give it to Ryon though, the kid has balls. I was a bit bummed that the kill everyone option wasn't on the table though and just went to a game over screen. I assumed Talia would get to take over, but obviously they wanted you to make it out so commence more railroading. I just can't get over how loving stupid the Whitehills are. Still, I'd rather have them than Ramsy again because he is the least satisfying enemy since you know going in that you can't ever kill or hurt him in the game.

Re end stats: What's the encounter Finn option? Apparently I and 8.3% didn't encounter him, when do you encounter him and what's the deal?

I think what the game lacks are competent enemies. In GoT you have some idiots, but you also have a lot of really cunning bad guys who are compelling in their own right (Twyinn Lannister, Littlefinger, etc.). In the game, your primary enemies are a pack of morons, and their superior is a psychopath with plot armor. I know the game was supposed to take some out of the way elements of the story so they had freedom to do what they would with the charters, but the cameos (while I suppose they act as fanservice) are directly detracting form the quality of the plot because you're constantly being thrown up against characters who have fixed paths. Like taking a deal with Tyrion before the wedding is an obviously bad move if you know that he is going to be blamed for the murder. The game feels like it would work a lot better if you never read/watched game of thrones.

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 28, 2015

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

im pooping! posted:

Even though it showed Ramsay with a knife in the preview, it doesn't necessarily mean he will do anything hosed up, or even that the scene will happen in the next episode. Telltale has done that before, and they don't have the next episode completed, or maybe even written at this point. I wouldn't worry about plot armor.

They aren't going to kill characters that are alive in the show AND the books.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Dolash posted:

For like the third time, Dany has explicitly tried to prevent the freed slaves from massacring the Masters because vigilante action will probably end in every non-slave in Mereen being killed, whether they're a fat, rich slave owner or the child of a poor free-man. She's tried to position herself as the dispenser of justice who decides when people will be executed and that's hard to do if you don't come down on people who take it into their own hands. Have you watched the show where literally this happened?

You're continuously failing to distinguish between her actually taking over cities and her attempting to rule after the fact. Slaves turning on masters IS part of how she takes over cities in the first place. You're making a bad comparison to the TV show where she explicitly says "don't murder this dude" and then the guy murders him anyway. That has no bearing on what everyone else is talking about.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Spikeguy posted:

I'd like to see Telltale either get the permission to make their game a separate universe from the source material so no one was safe or make an original IP where they have all creative control over the plot.

Do they have a single original IP?

EDIT: VVVVV haha wow, nice bit of trivia!

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 30, 2015

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I second that, I could have been a fun Tales from the Borderlands like adventure of him and Beshka bro-ing around the Free Cities, kicking rear end, taking names and trying to make a little gold here or there whenever they could.

I wish we had that game WAY WAY loving more than the game we actually have.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Thankfully Tales from borderlands was really good. That makes me feel a little bit better about the money I wasted on GoT. At least we'll get to round this mistake of a game up by watching everyone die.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

RightClickSaveAs posted:

We can always pretend that the part where you stand your ground against Lord Whatshisface in his castle and everyone gets cut down, Game Over, is the real ending.

Tales from the Borderlands really is good though, so I think Telltale just got stuck with too big an IP with this one, and is also trying to crank out 6 episodes while doing Borderlands and the Minecraft one. By the way, I had no idea the Minecraft series had started coming out, there seemed to be very little fanfare surrounding it. Has anyone here even thought about playing it? I'm morbidly curious.

The issue was working in the middle of an established IP, but also needing to bring in a million well-known characters. In WD you get early cameo of Glen, but then he's gone. In Wolf Among Us, they clearly had a lot of latitude in what they did with characters and it was a rich setting for adding new ones. GoT suffers tremendously from characters having plot immunity and the player knowing what's about to happen to them. Why cut a deal with Tyrion when he's about to get jailed? Obviously Dany won't give you teh second sons no matter what, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I think if they had made a game like set farther back in westorosi history. like the hedge knight stories in A knight of the seven kingdoms. It could have been great.

poo poo, just sticking with the adventures of Asher and Breska would have been a great time.

• Locked thread