Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I been watching Metal Gear Scanlon alongside playing MGS2 HD myself and I'm on hard and the difficulties changes stuff like how many bombs you have to freeze, and a hell've a lot of other things... Games these days... Meh. They ought to of taken a cue from MGS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
mgs games put all the item pickups in different locations depending on which difficulty you pick

hideo knows how to make a quality product

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Oh, and this is a Spoiler Free zone.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
teh fatman is fat :razz:

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
HEY FOLKS! FATMAN HERE! LAUGH HARD AND GROW FAT FOLKS! ~ fatman

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Fatman was an American.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
european extreme :c00l:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
My favorite part about the hard difficulties in MGS games is the torture scenes. Cause physical forearm pain while trying to mash for 3 minutes!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I tried playing MGS2 on European Extreme and it made me rage.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Laugh and grow fat!!

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I tried playing MGS2 on European Extreme and it made me rage.

It is so completely ridiculous on that difficulty... not surprised.

The old thief games were pretty cool about this too. More games should change things up when it comes to difficulty.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
I'm really bad at MGS; I beat Metal Gear 2 because the stealth is laughably primitive there, but I was never able to beat the Twin Snakes, even on Hurt Me Plenty. I don't think I even got to Sniper Wolf.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

zen death robot posted:

Oh, my favorite part is how you actually need to rely on stealth because attempting to shoot your way through the game is suicidal.

Yeah that's cool but imo if the game is a stealth game the super soldier act shouldn't be viable regardless.

Actually having the torture scenes be uncomfortable to play is a really cool way to bring yourself into character. Way easier than smoking 3 packs a day and speaking in nothing but metaphors.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
twin snakes is hella good

I beat the tanker on Euro Extreme in MGS2 and it was overwhelming

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Best series ever. Hideo is God

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I enjoyed Snakes Revenge as a kid but I never hear about it these days :(

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Widestancer posted:

I enjoyed Snakes Revenge as a kid but I never hear about it these days :(

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I realize that it's cut from a different cloth but it was good at scratching the itch that the original NES metal gear introduced for me

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

:shroom::lsd::shroom:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

zen death robot posted:

It's not a real Metal Gear game, you have Gamer AIDS from it - there is a cure I believe so not all is lost....

Play the MSX Metal Gear 2

The MSX stuff is good and I'm glad of it

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I wish more games allowed cool stuff like being able to wait/system clock change The End to death too.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i recently played every MGS in canonical order and it was very fun and very awesome, the MGS3 versions of 1+2 are great

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

zen death robot posted:

Dec 18th will be a good day for PC MGS fans. I'll be buying Ground Zeroes even though I've had it on PS4 since it came out.

I'm thinking about rebuying it as well, because Ground Zeroes is an insanely fun game.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Fall 2014 continues to be good for gaming.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

mgs2 is awesome. i really liked trying to collect all the dog tags.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

zen death robot posted:

I really wish he would release the HD remakes on PC as well though. I kind of understand if he doesn't want to go through with the hassle of making MGS4 work on something other than the PS3 though.

what you're not happy with the existing ports of 1 and 2?

I loving loved flailing my mouse around like a mental patient to use the sword. Made the final fight in 2 so much fun.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

zen death robot posted:

I really wish he would release the HD remakes on PC as well though. I kind of understand if he doesn't want to go through with the hassle of making MGS4 work on something other than the PS3 though.

The legacy collection on PC would be extremely win. I would buy the hell out of that.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Doctor Goat posted:

twin snakes is hella good

nah it sucks

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

darealkooky posted:

nah it sucks

every opinion i have seen you have reeks so bad as to automatically validate the opinion you are against and if i ever make a game i'm hiring you to write a bad review because it will make my game better

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

zen death robot posted:

and your av is terrible

you know what to do

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

MGS2 even had bosses do new attacks and change the NPC layout of every area depending on the difficulty. it sucks that you could make three movies out of all the loving cutscenes but it was otherwise extremely good

MGS3 changes the layout and everything, but bosses didnt get any new tricks on higher difficulties. :(

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
twin snakes is objectively worse than the original MGS1 in literally every single way besides the characters having actual faces and every boss having a unique theme song

zen death robot posted:

and your av is terrible

someone spent 10 dollars to give me this lmao

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Swelter Discharge posted:

you know what to do

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
The first girl I ever dated moved to Britain and took with her my original copy of Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance and I will never forgive her for that.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
mgs2 pc is like 9gb and mgs2 xbox has over half a second of input lag

they've had a weird history with that game

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chalets the Baka posted:

The first girl I ever dated moved to Britain and took with her my original copy of Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance and I will never forgive her for that.

The Bitch Must Pay

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The HD Remasters Come To Steam - my thread in the near future

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

darealkooky do you even like games

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Metal Gear Solid 5