Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ifrit also has alternate text if you land the killing blow with Shiva IcyNips: "Grr. I underestimated IcyNips. Very well, I will join you."

I didn't know this, I'll add it to the update. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

I'm gonna go with Mufasa as well for Ifrit. It fits, in an odd sort of way. Also, is it just me...or are some of the GFs more...human, than their previous incarnations? I mean Ifrit was a Feral Devil Beast before.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
When I played this as a kid pretty much all the mechanics went over my head. How the hell did I get to the second disc?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Silegna posted:

I'm gonna go with Mufasa as well for Ifrit. It fits, in an odd sort of way. Also, is it just me...or are some of the GFs more...human, than their previous incarnations? I mean Ifrit was a Feral Devil Beast before.
huh?

FF7

FF8

Looks like he got less human to me.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Icynips and HotLips sound like a match made in Heaven.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

huh?

FF7

FF8

Looks like he got less human to me.

I was referring to the Beast Form from I think Crisis Core. I'd post a picture, but uh, I don't have that upgrade.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Silegna posted:

I was referring to the Beast Form from I think Crisis Core. I'd post a picture, but uh, I don't have that upgrade.
I feel like I must be misunderstanding your point, because you can't be referring to the Crisis Core Ifrit as the "previous incarnation" of FF8 Ifrit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

Azure Horizon's LP is really the best and it's a shame its not in the LP archive. It turns out he's probably a rapist but you don't see them take MJ's music off iTunes or Polanski movies off Netflix. :can:

Pvt.Scott posted:

Right? Michael Jackson has an amazing catalog and Polanski has a bunch of cool movies. They are both rapist scum. I still enjoy their work. I don't know if video game satire is everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoy it as well.

Hi, please do not excuse rapists just because they made a thing you liked okay?

Standard names for all summons and characters Not having to stop and ask who we're going to name [summon X] everytime will stop slowing things down.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I suggest Hotpants, though it looks like Mufasa is gonna win.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Standard names for all summons and characters Not having to stop and ask who we're going to name [summon X] everytime will stop slowing things down.

If it were too bad, he could hold the votes in advance and just say "We will be getting ____________. Here is some info. Vote on a name". Either way, I don't think it's been that slow.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

RareAcumen posted:

Liking the creative output of someone does not mean you have to like the creator. I like Jackson Pollock's paintings. Jackson Pollock was an abusive, drunken shithead who managed to kill another human being on his way out.

Standard names. This ride is going to be silly enough as it is.

Snugglecakes
Dec 29, 2008

:h: :glomp: :h:

Red Rocket

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

RareAcumen posted:

This is completely backwards: it's "don't spite people like things just because the things were made by someone lovely". No one says "hey rape is fine, just as long as you keep makin them LPs". But if the LP is already made, you're not un-raping anyone by deleting it. It's not like the Archive is paying royalties, even. Leaving a decent LP up benefits readers and does absolutely nothing to AH. I guarantee he's not thinking "oh, my precious LP! This dishonor has shown me that I must reform the way I treat women post haste!"

Edit instead of resurrecting this off-topic in a new reply below:
It's Baldurk's decision, I'm not saying he's in the wrong or anything. But frankly the deletion (via this discussion of it) is the only reason I ever heard that he used to host an LP by a rapist, and it's silly to pretend that in this amateur-level case with no royalties that this is punishing AH in any way. So, as I see it, he prevented people from reading an LP that had nothing directly to do with rape, took an action that spread the story of him having hosted rapist-made content and increased the tarnish on his site, and did not a goddamn thing against the rapist. It's still his site and his choice if it makes him feel better, but I probably would have at most blanked out the author field. With that, I promise not to sully this perfectly good thread any further.

Relevant to this thread: HotNips for Ifrit.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 30, 2014

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Akratic Method posted:

I guarantee he's not thinking "oh, my precious LP! This dishonor has shown me that I must reform the way I treat women post haste!"

It wasn't women he was after. As I recall, it was his own drunk male friends. And he said that it didn't count as rape because they were his friends. :cripes:

On a more relevant note, this LP is doing good things. It's not my favourite Final Fantasy (that one comes next), but it's a lot better than people tend to give it credit for. The random encounter and boss music tracks are particularly good.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

HotNips.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Akratic Method posted:

This is completely backwards: it's "don't spite people like things just because the things were made by someone lovely". No one says "hey rape is fine, just as long as you keep makin them LPs". But if the LP is already made, you're not un-raping anyone by deleting it. It's not like the Archive is paying royalties, even. Leaving a decent LP up benefits readers and does absolutely nothing to AH. I guarantee he's not thinking "oh, my precious LP! This dishonor has shown me that I must reform the way I treat women post haste!"

Azure Horizon still did a very lovely thing and that is why his LP was removed from the archives. For some reason Baldurk didn't want that kind of person associated with it. Go figure. :shrug:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Maybe you should put in the OP "DON'T BRING UP OTHER FF8 LET'S PLAYS".

Also Akratic Method you obviously have no clue what you're talking about.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Glad to see FF8 being played, I actually really liked the game which I'm told is a rare thing. The story never bothered me too much. I guess maybe I didn't care a whole lot. Junctioning was a pretty cool system and even though it's an incredibly minuscule thing, the trigger on the Gunblade is a neat mechanic.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Azure Horizon still did a very lovely thing and that is why his LP was removed from the archives. For some reason Baldurk didn't want that kind of person associated with it. Go figure. :shrug:

It's only partially removed. It's still listed on the Master List, where it links to the thread here, which you need Archives to view.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

SonicRulez posted:

Glad to see FF8 being played, I actually really liked the game which I'm told is a rare thing. The story never bothered me too much. I guess maybe I didn't care a whole lot. Junctioning was a pretty cool system and even though it's an incredibly minuscule thing, the trigger on the Gunblade is a neat mechanic.

I certainly don't hate it, and I like the mechanics of the game, despite how much they can break the game. If you don't go into it with the intent of breaking it and play it like a normal person would play it (ie, not going straight out and loading up on Ultimas or whatever), it's an alright, if tedious, system. I always thought it was like Materia without the pretty colors.

I really thought the only unforgivable thing in the whole game was the ridiculousness of the plot. Not the story, but the actual mechanical actions of the plot. One too many Astonishing Coincidences for my liking. And I think it took me four or five restarts to get past disc two. I may play it again one day, I dunno.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

It's only partially removed. It's still listed on the Master List, where it links to the thread here, which you need Archives to view.

The LP Archive is all I've been talking about. But I probably should've said that much in those words though to make it really clear.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

rickiep00h posted:

I certainly don't hate it, and I like the mechanics of the game, despite how much they can break the game. If you don't go into it with the intent of breaking it and play it like a normal person would play it (ie, not going straight out and loading up on Ultimas or whatever), it's an alright, if tedious, system. I always thought it was like Materia without the pretty colors.

I really thought the only unforgivable thing in the whole game was the ridiculousness of the plot. Not the story, but the actual mechanical actions of the plot. One too many Astonishing Coincidences for my liking. And I think it took me four or five restarts to get past disc two. I may play it again one day, I dunno.

I like to think that the game had no plot, considering that the villain's motive was almost nigh-incomprehensible to the player.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I wonder if the plot made more sense in Japanese, and it was just a terrible translation that made it bad in English.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

A sword that is also a gun is a thing that has been tried in real life, to generally poor results. When FF8 came out, everyone I knew considered gunswords the stupidest idea ever. It is a terrible idea in real life, but in a fantasy world where a waifishly thin fourteen year-old can sling around a sword bigger than himself, I think unwieldy firearm/melee weapon combos have some cool potential. Does anyone use an artillery piece as a club in this game?

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
I believe that the 'gun' part of the gunblade is supposed to vibrate the blade once it was embedded in its enemy, so that the wound would grow bigger as a result. It's why pressing the R1 button deals more damage during combat.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

A sword that is also a gun is a thing that has been tried in real life, to generally poor results. When FF8 came out, everyone I knew considered gunswords the stupidest idea ever. It is a terrible idea in real life, but in a fantasy world where a waifishly thin fourteen year-old can sling around a sword bigger than himself, I think unwieldy firearm/melee weapon combos have some cool potential. Does anyone use an artillery piece as a club in this game?

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Talk of gunblades and practicality reminded me of the Bayonet ARMS from Wildarms. Just strap a bayonet the size of a buster sword on a rifle as big as you are, PRACTICAL :downs: Honestly my biggest (stupid) issue with gunblades was a fantasy weapon was how uncomfortable that probably was to wield, but at least Squall's doesn't give the impression it will snap off at the gunbarrel any second like Sefier's.

For some reason I thought that was on the LParchives, but I guess it never got uploaded? The old thread is in that master list though by Haller, though some other games by him are up there.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Pvt.Scott posted:

I have the guidebook for this game. Squall is 17. Quistis is 19.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Silegna posted:

I have the guidebook for this game. Squall is 17. Quistis is 19.

17 is actually shockingly reasonable for a military cadet. I would have guessed about 14 too, by anime rules. At least 19 is the right amount of absurd for a top-tier instructor. (Yeah, two years' experience? That ought to be enough to start teaching.)

VVV: But he's about to take his field exam, right? It's been a while since I've played this game (on the PS1, when it came out) but I'm pretty sure that SeeD is an elite force in total, but Squall is just a promising trainee who in the course of the intro ascends from cadet to the lowest basic rank of the force.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 30, 2014

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Squall's not just a cadet, though. He's an elite soldier.

And to its credit, one of the things that FF8 really gets right is that the teenagers act like teenagers. There's no need to add ten to everyone's age here.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Akratic Method posted:

17 is actually shockingly reasonable for a military cadet. I would have guessed about 14 too, by anime rules. At least 19 is the right amount of absurd for a top-tier instructor. (Yeah, two years' experience? That ought to be enough to start teaching.)

VVV: But he's about to take his field exam, right? It's been a while since I've played this game (on the PS1, when it came out) but I'm pretty sure that SeeD is an elite force in total, but Squall is just a promising trainee who in the course of the intro ascends from cadet to the lowest basic rank of the force.

I believe it was brought up that Gunblades are impractical weapons at best. Thing is, they are still extremely hard to use here, in fact, Seifer and Squall are the only users of Gunblades, as they are not the easiest weapons to use.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Silegna posted:

I believe it was brought up that Gunblades are impractical weapons at best. Thing is, they are still extremely hard to use here, in fact, Seifer and Squall are the only users of Gunblades, as they are not the easiest weapons to use.

I wouldn't read too much into this. We find out later in the story (during the prison break) that another member of the party is the only person capable of throwing a punch.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Silegna posted:

They're not the only users, just Balamb Garden's best.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Considering that, Squall and Seifer are kinda lucky they didn't shoot one another (or themselves) in the face during their duel.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I rather like the idea of the gunblade, but not the gunblade itself. They took the concept far too literally, and it just looks awkward. But the actual idea of a sword you can send a shockwave through to increase damage, wounding capabilities, and armor penetration sounds like a pretty cool fantasy weapon. And it makes for a nice bit of player interaction with you actually triggering it.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Akratic Method posted:

I thought that LP was kind of poo poo way before I knew anything about the drama, and I always wished someone else would tackle this game. :shrug: I'd rather not read a 'joke' about Zell stuffing his mouth full of hotdogs every other page.

Glad to see an LP of this. I remember being super hyped for this as a kid, and then being hugely turned off by the new mechanics. Breaking the game over my knee is the only way I can enjoy it nowadays, so I hope the LP shows a little bit of that.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I rather like the idea of the gunblade, but not the gunblade itself. They took the concept far too literally, and it just looks awkward. But the actual idea of a sword you can send a shockwave through to increase damage, wounding capabilities, and armor penetration sounds like a pretty cool fantasy weapon. And it makes for a nice bit of player interaction with you actually triggering it.

The only thing I find awkward about the gunblades is the grip being the same as a regular pistol. I can't imagine swinging around the weight of a sword by an off center pistol grip with no counterbalance would work very well.

e: Most characters in the main cast of this game rely on skill and augment their natural abilities with GF use. The gunblades' awkwardness doesn't illustrate the user's skill in the same way that Cloud and Sephiroth using giant swords or Vincent firing rifles one-handed illustrates their superhuman strength.

General Specific fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 30, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

General Specific posted:

The only thing I find awkward about the gunblades is the grip being the same as a regular pistol. I can't imagine swinging around the weight of a sword by an off center pistol grip with no counterbalance would work very well.
Seriously. I imagine the blade flying off and bonking someone behind the wielder whenever they swing it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Say what you will about FF13, but Lightning's gunblade was done far better in that it was first and foremost...well, an actual gun, with a blade-like attachment to give a cutting edge. Compared to whatever the gently caress Squall and Seifer are supposed to be using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

The Gears of War guns with chainsaw bayonets were pretty cool. It seems the best way to utilize a blade on on gun is as more of an axe or spear, rather than a sword.

E: the way gunblades are used here makes them more like vibroblades with unfortunate grip configurations.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 30, 2014

• Locked thread