Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I am gutted that "Frostitute" is one character too long to fit.

I actually like this game despite its flaws. It has some interesting ideas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

sleepy.eyes posted:

I never knew you could fast-travel. Huh.

I don't know when exactly but I could swear this ability disappears at some point.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

...Dammit.

That song is way catchier than it has any right to be.

I always manage to forget about it for a few months and then something inevitably brings it back into my head for aaaaages before it's gone again.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I love the exam. It was a huge thing for me when I was 9 years old and playing this for the first time. That and Ifrit's design being the coolest thing my brain had seen at that time.

I've seen that black boxes problem too, but I did fix it. I just don't remember how. "Special fixes", probably.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ZevGun posted:

If you level Seifer high enough you unlock his second limit break that you'd normally only see during disk 2 or 3.
I found this out by grinding to the point where the red Galbadian Soldier had aga level spells.

I've never heard of this happening.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The way you know that the FFVIII world is a gritty hellhole is the fact that worldwide interference prevents anyone ever having wifi signal, anywhere.

Seifer is another example of how the FF series tends to do "rival" characters really well. You can dislike Seifer, but you can't really hate him because he never actively annoys you. The Turks and Beatrix are also good rival characters, in that they never feel like they're going out of their way to annoy you, they're just doing their jobs.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I still love Rinoa's Death Face during that dance FMV. I don't think I'll ever stop trying to emulate it in real life.

As for all of the SeeDs dancing being men, it might just be personal bias here but I'm willing to bet it was a conceit of the design team just so they could make up lots of evening gowns for the female participants. Women's clothing is just so much more fun to design. If everyone was in SeeD uniform it would be such a wasted opportunity. But suits are suits are suits. I mean nobody really looks at the mens' costumes on Strictly Come Dancing.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
You can never, ever go back to the Secret Area because presumably they didn't want to redo it in daylight. This always bugged me.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Psion posted:

Junctions and the way they work could be cool, but if the developers wanted it to be balanced ... I don't even know. Level gating some stuff, I guess? But then that just rewards early grind for xp instead of early grind for Curagas

But they do level gate stuff already, that's the thing! They were so close to having that system in place but ultimately all they did was lock two refinements behind GF Level 100 and call it a day.

Ultimately I just think FF games without the Job System are ultimately worse than ones with it.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Diabolos came out of a lamp, Genie was voiced by Robin Williams, Headmaster Cid looks like Robin Williams, and Cid gave us the lamp.

Obviously he's Iago.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Triple Triad is supposed to be making an appearance in the Manderville Golden Saucer in FFXIV, isn't it?

Nobody will ever progress in the game again.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Simply Simon posted:

"Zell is actually the reincarnation of the water God Nahtaivel. This theory is supported by his love of hot dogs (which are boiled in water) and that a summon in the game has the water God's name written backwards as default name."

I love how this game is so often so dumb and vague that you might just believe him :allears:. Or you're really dense I dunno

EDIT: Squall is Hyne's armpit is now my canon explanation for his personality.

You know how in Grandia 2 there were a bunch of people who were the ______ of Valmar? I'm guessing it's like that.

Squall is the Spleen of Hyne.
Quistis is the Pelvis of Hyne.
Zell is the Little Toe of Hyne.
Selphie is the Retina of Hyne.

etc etc.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Mums always know. If there's one thing I've learned in my life, it's that.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Man just getting the Tonberry GF sounds like a dumb playground rumour. "Oh yeah man just go back after you beat Odin and stand around killing 20 Tonberries and then the KING Tonberry appears and if you kill him he tuns back into a normal Tonberry and lets you summon him!"

It's not as rumoury as Missingno or something, but it still made me skeptical when I saw it printed in a games magazine as a kid.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Cool Ghost posted:

I like the Edea fight at the end of disc 1, it feels to me like she's not really taking you seriously. Normally, she slings around magic that's pretty rare at that point (-aga spells) but if you throw up Reflect, she either just punches you or uses Dispel one at a time, like you're just some lovely random encounter that doesn't merit any real effort. And then, if you do manage to get through her HP, she just pulls out her Limit Break and fucks you up anyway.

Maybe? But it feels a whole lot less effective than, say, Beatrix at the end of FFIX Disc 1 did. It feels a lot more like fighting to survive against Beatrix, given that she can randomly one-shot (or near enough) people with Shock.

Even if Edea had just used Icestrike in-battle to wipe your party instead of invoking cutscene powers to do it, it would've felt a lot more... authentic?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Cool Ghost posted:

The fight with Beatrix feels like more of a cheat to me because you need to "win" the fight. After that, it's just a cutscene that uses the battle engine as far as I see it. At least with Edea, you get 20 AP for burning through her HP.

I was always pretty sure you could just sit there and defend as hard as you can for a while and she'd get bored and use Stock Break anyway. Or, you could hasten the process by attacking her until she gets annoyed enough to use it. Either way you're provoking her into putting forth some bare minimum of effort.

But yes, the effect is diminished the subsequent times you fight her. I would've liked to see her needing to be pushed to Climhazzard in the second fight (Stock Break being just a normal attack for that battle), and then fought to an actual standstill the third time. That would feel like progress.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Wonderslug posted:

Let's consider what we know so far:

1. Edea ran an orphanage.

2. Edea married Cid.

3. Cid founded a conglomerate of military academies/mercenary contractors/anti-sorceress training facilities that requires a steady influx of child soldiers--ones without families likely especially welcome. What a coincidence!

4. All the kids from the orphanarium somehow end up being recruited by Cid's muderfactories. Amazing!

5. Out of all the child soldiers that Cid's cranked out over the years, the ones that end up in Project: Wifemurder just happen to be the ones who were also children at Edea's orphanage. What a twist!

6. Cid is a colossal dick. Hmm, not sure how this one fits in, but it feels important somehow!

Conclusion: Cid is really REALLY mad he didn't sign a pre-nup and absolutely doesn't want Edea getting half of the Gardens.

Or it's the most convoluted and long-running assisted suicide plan ever.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

I like the one guy who casts thunder spells that travel along the ground.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Carlioo posted:

Metal after its theme in FFXIV. Sadly Goobiedoom is too long :smith:

Hell yes. Wake the Metal.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Artemisia... Or maybe, it was supposed to be Artemicion!

Yes, finally an explanation for why a blue postmoogle is the final boss.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

ultrafilter posted:

I like to think that Laguna screwed up extra hard on his way in.

"Look, I am NOT walking across that drat bridge again! Drain the lake, Kiros."

"What."

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I don't want Triple Triad back if it's anything like its XIV incarnation.

You can't change rules, and after a certain point every NPC has Random, or worse. Also you're not guaranteed to get a card after a win, it's maybe a 5-10% chance. Have fun!

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 23, 2016

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I'm not sure the plan was really a plan at all. Really, thinking about it, once we slapped Edea at the end of Disc 2, everything has sort of gone off the rails for Ultimecia. The original idea was to keep using Edea to look for Ellone, but the team put that one to bed. I think she's just using whatever the hell she can get her timeclaws into at this point. The idea was probably to get Seifer to bring the tomb down with the Cry, and then work on opening it down there. The fact that a controllable pawn just happened to be on the space station at the time was just serendipity for Ultimecia.

As for Seifer, this plan of going for Adel probably existed before we knocked Edea down. Like, "if for whatever reason I'm not around, find me another sorceress to possess." And there's only the one, so...

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Well, it did seem to be doing research/observation of the moon, so maybe that's why it was where it was.

It's entirely possible the station predated Adel's tomb, yes. But you'd think they could afford another station. That or they believed that with the Pandora sunk there wouldn't be any more Lunar Cries...

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

GunnerJ posted:

Dunno, is it clear that weird future-possession implies the transfer of all one's abilities, or are you limited by what the host can do? I honestly always just figured that the Big Deal about sorceresses is that real-deal magic is basically divine level reality control (being the power of a god) but different individual sorceresses might have specialties or preferences, not like "Edea can do ice things and only ice things."

If it works like Ellone's powers, yes I'd presume you do keep most of your powers, as Squall and co's GFs and magic stocks migrate with them to their hosts.

However Squall and co aren't exactly controlling their hosts... they're just along for the ride. So it's different in at least that way, but maybe that just allows Ultimecia to bring more of her own abilities along.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Just name him Suplex Me and be done with it. :colbert:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I still find that hilarious. But I'm a pretty terrible gay man (he said, while munching on a spicy chicken sandwich with no pickles from Chick-fil-a).

A resounding "same" from me.

Plus, we all have that one friend, don't we?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I think the implication is supposed to be that Ellone breaking the connection mid-Time Compression results in an incomplete version of the spell. It breaks enough barriers to let the team move forward in time, without completely destroying time as a concept. I don't know why they didn't just say that though.

I also think the Time Compression spell needs to be cast in the past and future at the same time, but I don't remember anything that ever really points to this and it's probably just some crackpot bullshit I made up.

I wonder if it just squishes time between the two points Ultimecia exists at and that's why only she can exist there.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Khmer_Ruse posted:

If you ask me Ultimecia and Adel should have been combined to form a new character called Sorceress Adel.

Ah now that's a point. Future Adel coming back after thousands of years in space to try and free her past self to not have to spend thousands of years in space. You'd have to redo basically the entirety of Disc 4, but it's a neat idea.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I feel like Gaius or Lahabrea would work decently enough, though she doesn't have much relationship with either.

I feel like Gaius is definitely the best bet. They'd definitely recognise each other, at the very least. I'm not sure Lahabrea would really know or care. Lahabrea would also be yet another ranged spellcaster type dealing in energy orbs and what have you, whereas Gaius has his magitek sword and things like Terminus Est.

I'd actually rather have Zenos so we can switch between his three weeb swords and pull off improbable rubbish, but Y'shtola was firmly benched in the Stormblood story pretty early on. She had her time in the spotlight, I guess.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Nidoking posted:

I have to assume that if a sorceress dies without passing her powers to some specific person, they pass to an eligible recipient at random. She can only be at peace knowing that her powers have gone to someone she can trust, or at least someone aware of what was happening to her. Something like that.

It's fun to imagine. Maybe the corpse remains and the powers are passed to the first eligible person to pass within range? Or the powers take control of the corpse as a form of monster and wander the earth as the restless dead? Or even, maybe this is how GFs are born? Selphie mentioned finding a GF in the corpse of a monster, once.

If this was FFXIII it would all be in the codex. But also so would most of the plot, so I'm happy to not know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Silver Falcon posted:

But that leaves open the issue of why would Rinoa keep a GF junctioned? She's not a SeeD, she knows they cause memory loss. She'd have every reason to not junction a GF once everything calms down. Hell, this wouldn't eve stop her from fighting beside Squall, if that's what she wanted to do. She's a Sorceress. She doesn't NEED no stinking GF to kick rear end!

Squall dies of old age at some unspecified point in the future, and she creates a GF in his "image" hoping it'll fulfill the same keep-me-from-going-crazy function as a Sorceress' Knight? Or alternatively, she WANTS to forget.

The whole GF thing fascinates me endlessly really. For example, if the entire gang were able to recover their memories of being at the orphanage so readily when provided with a prompting, can we really say the GF destroy memories, or do they just prevent active recall?

• Locked thread