Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Savage For The Winjun

anyone else try to establish a dialogue with their adversaries before they go straight into fisticuffs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland

by XyloJW

Twilight Matrix posted:

anyone else try to establish a dialogue with their adversaries before they go straight into fisticuffs?

I prefer my fights to involve words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K91Lkz4XXFI&t=45s

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

pogi

Al Borland posted:

How do you feel about submissive wrestling where the loser then gets sexed by the winner?

... so submissive wrestling?

pogi

Chill la Chill posted:

we had 2 aikido sensei. one was more traditional but the other did MMA, knew that a lot of its philosophy was just philosophy and wouldn't work well on the street, and taught us things that O Sensei wouldn't approve of - like kicking beside the knee and
the quarter inch or so difference in breaking arms and joints than simply rolling them in aikido

yeah the video wd posted was very impressive and definitely taught some neat things, but it also looked very choreographed and not very practical.

punching people in the jaw is incredibly practical however

what are the guys like at your gym? I don't thing I've run into any dudebros in boxing yet, but I've def run into that kind of attitude in MMA (guys bragging about winning fights at the bar etc.) Sports like aikido and bjj seem to discourage that kind of attitude as well, at least at the places i've trained at.

Lil Cunty

you def wouldnt want to take aikido into a knife fight...unless you were really really good, i suppose

at the dojo i used to go to, it was mostly young nerdy dudes, middle-aged hippies and old japanese grandmas

ty crap

ty landy

froward

by Azathoth
akido looks cool as hell, but it seems all those demos in WD's vid were overhand strikes, the kind you would make if you were wearing 80lbs of armor and could only move in a heavy, lumbering gait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E61jnJe_1SI

as my superpower is pissing people off without even trying, I have got my rear end beat a lot. So, I run away whenever I can, and when I can't I just go nuts at it until one of us can't move.

I'd love to learn how to proper MMA, but I don't think I could get myself in a headspace of taking and dealing blows without bringing up really nasty instincts. also I am lazy and weak.

----------------

pogi

froward posted:

akido looks cool as hell, but it seems all those demos in WD's vid were overhand strikes, the kind you would make if you were wearing 80lbs of armor and could only move in a heavy, lumbering gait.

as my superpower is pissing people off without even trying, I have got my rear end beat a lot. So, I run away whenever I can, and when I can't I just go nuts at it until one of us can't move.

I'd love to learn how to proper MMA, but I don't think I could get myself in a headspace of taking and dealing blows without bringing up really nasty instincts. also I am lazy and weak.

just go to the gym, those guys will work those instincts out of you. TBH the anticipation of getting hit is worse than actually getting hit*, so once you get used to it, you'll be fine

*except liver shots gently caress those

Lil Cunty

froward posted:

the overhand strikes are part of it only as a vehicle for demonstration. you dont actually learn anything offensive, everything in that video is showcasing the pins and throws. the idea is to be able to disarm an attacker, deflect their blows and incapacitate them without harming them

ty crap

ty landy

satsui no thankyou

DrSanchez posted:

just go to the gym, those guys will work those instincts out of you. TBH the anticipation of getting hit is worse than actually getting hit*, so once you get used to it, you'll be fine

*except liver shots gently caress those

agreed

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

joe rogan

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

DrSanchez posted:

yeah the video wd posted was very impressive and definitely taught some neat things, but it also looked very choreographed and not very practical.

punching people in the jaw is incredibly practical however

what are the guys like at your gym? I don't thing I've run into any dudebros in boxing yet, but I've def run into that kind of attitude in MMA (guys bragging about winning fights at the bar etc.) Sports like aikido and bjj seem to discourage that kind of attitude as well, at least at the places i've trained at.

I box either at the school MMA club which is full of nerds and people who look like dude bros but are also nerds (lol engineering school). it's funny cuz it's half and half split between people who box and people who wrestle, and a couple who do both, but nobody who's really into MMA wearing lol affliction shirts

or at home which is either at a marine corps gym, an army gym, or the navy gym at Pearl Harbor

so I'm glad I go to places that don't have anyone that has a chip on their shoulder or something to prove about fight arts

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

froward

by Azathoth

----------------

pogi

this is the strongest technique in fighitng and the key to the mystery of yobboxxin

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

the strongest technique is the flying armbar

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p88QP22T0p8

Ace of Baes
i did army combatives its p. gay..i used to kinda do some muay thai, ive been punched in the face a lot

----------------

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

he-man's hey song is the BYOB fighting anthem

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

actually never mind it's Tarzan boy

pogi

Chill la Chill posted:

actually never mind it's Tarzan boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r0n9Dv6XnY

it's perfect

pogi

i wanna rep puff the magic dragon as my fight song

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIYO_Nh2vRc

Louis
I don't really like fighting.

pogi

Louis posted:

I don't really like fighting.

that's okay, arts and crafts, dance, or weed are also acceptable topics of conversation itt

Louis

DrSanchez posted:

that's okay, arts and crafts, dance, or weed are also acceptable topics of conversation itt

I find those things rather enjoyable. Some have told me that fighting can be an art and I can see this quality if I look past the violence.

pogi

Louis posted:

I find those things rather enjoyable. Some have told me that fighting can be an art and I can see this quality if I look past the violence.

while some people do participate in fighting for the violence (these people have issues), a lot of the people I've met do it as a self improvement kind of thing. I like it because it's easy to track your progress (hit things better, not get hit in the face so much, etc), and compare your progress to other people (spars, bouts, etc). There's a lot to be gained from just honing your finesse and skill.

also it's fun as gently caress and also rad.

anyways what kind of arts, crafts, dance or weed do you do my friend?

Louis

DrSanchez posted:

while some people do participate in fighting for the violence (these people have issues), a lot of the people I've met do it as a self improvement kind of thing. I like it because it's easy to track your progress (hit things better, not get hit in the face so much, etc), and compare your progress to other people (spars, bouts, etc). There's a lot to be gained from just honing your finesse and skill.

It seems like it could be good exercise that you could maybe do with your friends. I like lots of things, movies and things like that. I'm glad that you can consider us friends :)

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

i used to do taekwondo and can still kick pretty drat high

as far as usefulness in real fights it's not great unless you have enough room to land a decent roundhouse

satsui no thankyou

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

as far as usefulness in real fights it's not great unless you have enough room to land a decent roundhouse

kicking in a street fight is really high risk my man, do not recommend

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

DrSanchez posted:

:agreed: in addition, remember that line in karate kid, when sensei asked Daniel why he learned to fight, and Daniel said so he didn't have to? I found that to be p true too. when people know you to be a fighter, they avoid picking fights with you. they don't need to know you're goony and goofy af :smoobles:

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I shave my head and look like my army capt dad so that could also be part of it

Twilight Matrix posted:

I actually continue attempting to keep a dialogue while fisticuffs happen, but it's difficult with the mouth guard on. this is probably useful as a metaphor for peace talks or smth

Al Borland

by XyloJW

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

I dunno I remember when I took it the guy taught us to use our elbows and other hard points pretty effectively to smash someone a few times in the face.

----------------

pogi

Chill la Chill posted:

:agreed: in addition, remember that line in karate kid, when sensei asked Daniel why he learned to fight, and Daniel said so he didn't have to? I found that to be p true too. when people know you to be a fighter, they avoid picking fights with you. they don't need to know you're goony and goofy af :smoobles:

Haha yes. I've also noticed that I've been a lot calmer in high stress situations ever since I've started fighting, which makes it easier to deescalate a situation that might lead to a fight. gently caress a street fight, bro.

It's also a pretty interesting hobby in of itself, so I feel like I've always got something to talk about*. A surprising amount of people have at least a passing interest in fisticuffs.

Basically fighting, as in actually popping off punches, is a pretty niche skill outside of the ring (unless you're a douche and pick fights), but very helpful in a lot of other ways.

*Then I can segue into my encyclopedic knowledge of Warhammer 40K and obliterate the illusion that I'm cool :v:

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

same, but I segue into my intricate knowledge of the Incom T-65 x-wing space superiority fighter.

also I've found that it's useful in teaching girls when it pops up during dancing conversation and how it helps with that, cuz they're sometimes interested and then it's like that one trope scene where a helpful guy helps a girl play a sport. I've slept with and became good friends with a girl this way :)

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I think I'm gonna buy a Logitech UE boom for next semester so I can use it for impromptu dancing, volleyball games, and fight sports time. I'll make a playlist with puff and Tarzan boy and the byob reggae and the gayest anthems I can find

alnilam

*punch punch block *

*panting* the z-95 headhunter is one of the most maneuverable space fighters on the market

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

*feints*
*uppercuts, 5-2-3 combo*

look at this guy, doesn't even know the Koensayr y-wing is set to dominate and change the future of space battles in the outer ri-

*gets hooked, then uppercut to chest, is winded*

pogi

Chill la Chill what do you usually do for your workout?

The new gym I'm at only works us out for an hour and my old gym had us there for about two. The old gym also had us sparring pretty much every day, I'm not sure about the new gym.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

oh yeah, I always lose lose track of time and 2 hours is my usual mark. sometimes it's cut down to 30-45 min when I'm just using it as my lifting day cardio. I lose track of rounds cuz I tend to focus on just surviving the next 3 min but after warmup it's usually speed bag, then technique, then heavy bag combo/technique, then speed bag, then mitt work or shadowboxing, then more heavy bag. I spar when I can but it usually means once a week or every two weeks - used to be once every other day at the marine corps gym but they've since dissolved their team so it's much harder to find regular partners. one day I'll go to a dedicated boxing gym again :)

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

i ended up punching too zealously yesterday with my right so I have red knuckles. had to ice them and I won't be punching right for a week lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

punching the speed bag with the bottom of your fist is lame but I have to do it for this week. it's a jab only week for me, lol

• Locked thread