Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

cursedshitbox posted:

From a guy I knew in the south.

"bondo and paint, make it what it ain't"
:banjo:

version two: grinder and paint, make me the welder I ain't.

The hallmark of a good welder is being a better grinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Reddit's right, you know. All you need to do is buy fifty bucks in plate steel from the local Autozone and then hold it up to the frame rails of the car really hard while thinking about that girl who laughed in your face when you finally screwed up the courage to ask her out for the prom THE MISANDRIST SLUT and then your car is all fixed.

Or you could just buy a car you can fix and will be worth something after the fixing.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Reddit's right, you know. All you need to do is buy fifty bucks in plate steel from the local Autozone and then hold it up to the frame rails of the car really hard while thinking about that girl who laughed in your face when you finally screwed up the courage to ask her out for the prom THE MISANDRIST SLUT and then your car is all fixed.

Or you could just buy a car you can fix and will be worth something after the fixing.

Why can't I not hear this in rcr guys voice?

Edit: it's beautiful

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 257 days!)

This thread is beautiful. Well worth the money on shipping and HF gearbage that was wasted.

FWIW, I gave a similar kit to a neighbors' kid who got his first car, a :frogsiren: DECADE PLUS OLD NORTHSTAR CADDY :frogsiren: that leaks more oil than it burns. He's kept it running at least a year, now.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Who was the goon that went and helped him?

You're not the guy that owns a grinder AND a welder, are you :ohdear:?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Laughed way too hard at this.

This thread. :allears:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Realistically how hard WOULD it be to make an adequate repair to that portion of frame? Cut out the rusty frame rail, weld in some square tube and then reinforce across the whole section with a piece of plate on three sides? I haven't looked at the pic since it was posted so it's probably worse than I remember.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Astonishing Wang posted:

Realistically how hard WOULD it be to make an adequate repair to that portion of frame? Cut out the rusty frame rail, weld in some square tube and then reinforce across the whole section with a piece of plate on three sides? I haven't looked at the pic since it was posted so it's probably worse than I remember.

The problem is not necessarily with the rail he posted the picture of. Rust damage that severe in one area goes hand-in-hand with rust damage in other areas, most probably areas even harder to get to/see, but again, still structural. Rust is something that is just not worth chasing. Once a car starts to rust, it never stops unless you do a comprehensive restoration, which is almost never worth the time/effort/expense.

That thing has got to feel like a limp noodle when it's cornering at 80mph.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

meatpimp posted:

The problem is not necessarily with the rail he posted the picture of. Rust damage that severe in one area goes hand-in-hand with rust damage in other areas, most probably areas even harder to get to/see, but again, still structural. Rust is something that is just not worth chasing. Once a car starts to rust, it never stops unless you do a comprehensive restoration, which is almost never worth the time/effort/expense.

That thing has got to feel like a limp noodle when it's cornering at 80mph.
In all the Japanese unibody rusted out pieces of poo poo I have seen, I've never seen rust there. Usually it's the sills, boot floor, front and rear wheel arches, and around front and rear windscreens. If it's got rust in the unibody frame, it has to have rust elsewhere, otherwise it's a freak case.

It can be worth fixing, if you are experienced in repairs or have the aptitude for it; or the car is worth more than 4k in dollars or sentimental reasons. No conditions have been met though.
E: in short: is this a special car worth paying $5k on? Or are you uncleskin, kev barlas or moecow?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 13, 2015

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fo3 posted:

It can be worth fixing, if you are experienced in repairs or have the aptitude for it; or the car is worth more than 4k in dollars or sentimental reasons. No conditions have been met though.
E: in short: is this a special car worth paying $5k on? Or are you uncleskin, kev barlas or moecow?

Umm excuse me I believe he said money is no object :downs:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Money ain't poo poo.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
*takes out a short term 5k loan to fix a 30 year old car*

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Astonishing Wang posted:

Who was the goon that went and helped him?

You're not the guy that owns a grinder AND a welder, are you :ohdear:?

I'm one of the goons who went to help him. And I'm not that guy. He does have a neighbor who he compared to a shad tree mechanic

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The goon who helped him is a genuine good guy but I think even he has limits

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Oh for fucks sake. He would go to reddit

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Reddit owns.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
e I am a bad poster and should have let this die. My bad, guys.

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 6, 2015

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

He's still posting in other subforums so the car must not have turned to powdered rust mid-drive yet.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

SuperDucky posted:

e I am a bad poster and should have let this die. My bad, guys.

What is dead may never die! :GameOfThrones:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Goldmine this ASAP

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
OP I'll sell you my turbo miata for $4500 with a hardtop. '92 and I've got ~15k on the kit and it's not all hosed up.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

n8r posted:

OP I'll sell you my turbo miata for $4500 with a hardtop. '92 and I've got ~15k on the kit and it's not all hosed up.

OP is busy posting about something called Dragonball: Xenoverse, he can't hear you.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Saga posted:

OP is busy posting about something called Dragonball: Xenoverse, he can't hear you.

I don't know how he finds time to post about it since he's played 105 hours and it's only been out a week.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maybe he found all the Dragon Balls and wished for new pants?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

leica posted:

Maybe he found all the Dragon Balls and wished for new pants?

Guess you need pants that big when you have dragon balls.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I like how the top comment on his Reddit post is about pissing in a well.

Did they steal that from us, or is it another case of SA assuming we invented something that was already prior art?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Did they steal that from us, or is it another case of SA assuming we invented something that was already prior art?

Or people from SA post on reddit?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

SouthsideSaint posted:

Or people from SA post on reddit?

Yeah we all migrated over there to poo poo on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Data Graham posted:

The Goon in a well post is from June 2006 (archives needed) so it's probably imported from here. Reddit had been around for less than a year at that point.

• Locked thread