Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Whole lotta Aubrey/Maturin nerds in this thread. I approve. Alpha or not, I'll be grabbing this come January after all the holiday spending is over and I can squeak a little out of the budget for myself. Thanks for the heads up on this one, CAF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It helps I posted a link in the Aubrey-Maturin thread.

And you're welcome.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Colonial Air Force posted:

It helps I posted a link in the Aubrey-Maturin thread.

And you're welcome.

There... There's an Aubrey/Maturin thread? I'mma need that link.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

There... There's an Aubrey/Maturin thread? I'mma need that link.

Here you go
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393240

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

And now the circle is complete!

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

How much of this game is in right now? Is the MMO factet live or is it queue battles?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zotix posted:

How much of this game is in right now? Is the MMO factet live or is it queue battles?

Lobby brawler at this point. Fun brawls though.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
So is the damage as detailed as it looks in the videos I've watched? For me, half the fun in games like this is slowly dismantling the ships one piece at a time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Generation Internet posted:

So is the damage as detailed as it looks in the videos I've watched? For me, half the fun in games like this is slowly dismantling the ships one piece at a time.

It's pretty drat detailed. Like if your shots hull the enemy below the waterline because of a gap in the waves, they'll take on more water; if one of your guns gets disabled it gets taken out; demasting is in-game.

Downside though is that your cannon are only so accurate.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's pretty drat detailed. Like if your shots hull the enemy below the waterline because of a gap in the waves, they'll take on more water; if one of your guns gets disabled it gets taken out; demasting is in-game.

Downside though is that your cannon are only so accurate.

The other half is having lots and lots of cannon for broadsides :jeb:

That sounds pretty awesome, I'll probably end up picking this up at some point once I'm finished exams.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Had the biggest game I've been in to date today:

Skoots
Sep 6, 2006
I really think they got the sounds of the cannons perfect in this game, its pretty cool hearing the thundering echo of broadsides bounce of the water.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Had an interesting one today:

2v3 PVP battle. One dude gets murdered pretty quick, so it's me in my Surprise alongside a Bellona, versus a Trincomalee and a Victory.

The Trinnie manages to capture the Bellona just as I'm sailing in to try and pound away at her. The Victory is right on my tail, so we end up in this weird 4-way melee, with the Trincomalee now being empty (when you capture a ship, you move over to it - at least in the Alpha). The Victory attempts to board me, but because of our proximity, ends up moving over to the Trinnie.

So now I'm next to an empty Victory, over to which I promptly move, sink the Trincomalee (whose captain used to bein this Victory), and do my best to chase the Bellona (whose captain used to have a Trincomalee) around until the match is a draw (I couldn't get a broadside in, the player was very good at staying just at my stern).

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

This looks interesting, though the lack of any semblance of team balance makes me hesitant to pick it up right now. I might still cave to have a botes game to play until they let us back in to World of Warships. (Or as a fallback plan if Carriers ruin WoWS for me.)

At the very least, I've got the thread bookmarked to keep an eye on the development.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Was in the alpha for this about a year ago and thought about making a thread for it, but the devs weren't keen on it being advertised and :effort:. Kind of lost interest in the spring. Hadn't heard that it was opening up more, I'll have to see if they kicked me out or not, and probably going to throw them a preorder anyway, this has so much possibility. Are there many people around for playing PVP these days? It used to be we'd manage to get 4-8 people once a week, but maybe now there are more people around?

E:Apparently I still have access, and there's 30 people in the lobby! Are goons organising to play together at all?

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 18, 2014

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Zaodai posted:

This looks interesting, though the lack of any semblance of team balance makes me hesitant to pick it up right now. I might still cave to have a botes game to play until they let us back in to World of Warships. (Or as a fallback plan if Carriers ruin WoWS for me.)

At the very least, I've got the thread bookmarked to keep an eye on the development.

There's really very little balance, but that's largely because it's in Alpha right now.

Pharnakes posted:

Was in the alpha for this about a year ago and thought about making a thread for it, but the devs weren't keen on it being advertised and :effort:. Kind of lost interest in the spring. Hadn't heard that it was opening up more, I'll have to see if they kicked me out or not, and probably going to throw them a preorder anyway, this has so much possibility. Are there many people around for playing PVP these days? It used to be we'd manage to get 4-8 people once a week, but maybe now there are more people around?

E:Apparently I still have access, and there's 30 people in the lobby! Are goons organising to play together at all?

We could! I actually joined a virtual fleet, but no reason we can't hang out as goons, too. I just unlocked the Trincomalee!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Seriously.

I've missed walking the decks of Ol' Ironsides twice, now, and it sounds like come next year I won't be able to for some time. Don't waste your opportunities!

If you don't get a tour of the Connie now, it will be about 4 years before you'll be able to:

quote:

2015 - 2018 Dry Dock Restoration Information
USS CONSTITUTION is scheduled to re-locate from Pier 1 to Dry Dock 1 in Charlestown Navy Yard in March 2015 for a three-year planned restoration period. This fall/winter will be your last chance to fully tour Old Ironsides at her pier until 2018!
Below is a summary of the restoration work planned for USS Constitution from 2015-2018:
Fall/Winter 2014 - CONSTITUTION PREPARES FOR DRY DOCK
Spring 2015 - CONSTITUTION ENTERS DRY DOCK
* Remove CONSTITUTION's upper mast sections, yards and bowsprit
* Remove all guns, ballast & rudder
* CONSTITUTION enters dry dock 1 in Charlestown Navy Yard
* Install staging, then remove copper from hull below the waterline
2015 - 2017 - ONGOING INSPECTION AND REPAIRS
* Inspect hull and replace hull planks as needed
* Inspect rigging and replace as needed
* Inspect and preserve fighting tops for all three masts
2016-2017 - ONGOING PRESERVATION PROJECTS
* Preserve all masts and yards
* Preserve ship's wheel & headboards
* Preserve gun carriages
* Preserve ship's boats
2016 - FOCUS ON BOW (front of Ship)
* Replace planking in bow
* Inspect and repair trail-boards at bow
2017 - FOCUS ON STERN (back of Ship)
* Remove, inspect, replace and repair ship's stern ornamentation
* Repairs to Captain's Cabin
2017 - CONSTITUTION RETURNS TO THE WATER
* Replace planking on gun deck and berth deck (lower decks)
* Install rudder
* Re-copper ship's hull beneath the waterline
* Reef out and re-caulk spar deck (top deck)
* Refloat ship
* Re-rig ship once afloat and return guns and furniture
Spring/Summer 2018 - CONSTITUTION RETURNS TO PIER 1, CHARLESTOWN NAVY YARD
*Note: All dates subject to change as the actual conditions of USS Constitution are inspected and discovered.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I know. I should just go down there this weekend.

I will definitely visit L'Hermione, as she'll be in Rhode Island, Boston, and some place in Maine this July.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Eagerly awaiting my code. This looks amazing.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

rossmum posted:

Eagerly awaiting my code. This looks amazing.

Same, though I will probably be terrible.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I hate playing the brig, ugh. I wish I could get into a frigate sooner rather than later. You have more guns than the smaller boats, but the rigging is a lot less forgiving and you can't outmaneuver the real frigates any more.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It's true, and the brig comes just after you get used to that fast moving cutter. It feels like a slug.

One note for the newer folks: make sure you read through the alpha test forums. There's a lot of great information there, things like how to use the manual sails, how to target better, &c., that will really help you along.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

They added 2 new ships today, a Snow (in between the Brig and Surprise) and the Santisima Trinidad.

Here's the Snow:

I haven't unlocked the Trinidad (not even close), it's at the very far end of the line.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Alright, finals are over and I took the plunge, just waiting for a key.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
Game has potential but at this stage its nothing more than a deathmatch mod with no real matchmaking function. Given how badly that went for MWO, and nearly every mod to MMO since 2010, I'd hold off until at least July 2015 before wasting time in here. Unless you badly need your grog sim, right the frack now. In which case, be prepared for alpha-primary shennagians and lots of corpse camping.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Well, it being alpha, and specifically testing the deathmatch piece and the ships themselves, that can't be a surprise. I'm not sure what you mean by "corpse camping" though.

But yes, if that's not your thing, you can hold off.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
I ran into garbad... and he immediately started calling everyone pubbies.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Hal_2005 posted:

Game has potential but at this stage its nothing more than a deathmatch mod with no real matchmaking function. Given how badly that went for MWO, and nearly every mod to MMO since 2010, I'd hold off until at least July 2015 before wasting time in here. Unless you badly need your grog sim, right the frack now. In which case, be prepared for alpha-primary shennagians and lots of corpse camping.

Corpse camping? How can you corpse camp someone in what is in your own words a deathmatch "mod" (mod of what exactly?).

And of course it's alpha it says so right in the first line of the OP and on the store page :confused:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

In a battle right now with two Santisimas.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

wjs5 posted:

Johnny 5!

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

wjs5 posted:

God loving dammit, not already.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Someone made a video on how to use manual sails: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAEFo4me4L4

Viperidae
Feb 7, 2007
Arf!
That channel has some pretty good instructional videos.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Looks like people who own this game prior to January first get a bonus ship, and I think it's a gunboat (I'm not sure if I can post the image, but it's a single mast triangular sail ship with a fore and aft cannon).

So if you've been holding off, hold off no longer!

Also coming soon is a new damage system, similar to WoT in that it has specific modules to damage, crew placement, &c.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Halman posted:

Johnny 5!

Wat up!

rossmum posted:

God loving dammit, not already.
Yup its true. I was pretty terrible though ended up ramming a ship and sinking.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Looks like people who own this game prior to January first get a bonus ship, and I think it's a gunboat (I'm not sure if I can post the image, but it's a single mast triangular sail ship with a fore and aft cannon).

So if you've been holding off, hold off no longer!

Also coming soon is a new damage system, similar to WoT in that it has specific modules to damage, crew placement, &c.
Ahhh goddammit, just take my money :homebrew:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Played the new "Trafalgar" mode today. Basically a massive PVP with a minimum of 20 players of Surprises or better.

The line we formed degenerated quickly, and the French lost:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Played the new "Trafalgar" mode today. Basically a massive PVP with a minimum of 20 players of Surprises or better.

Oh my god yesssss, and I just got my Steam key. Merry Christmas!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Sold. :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I just bought in. Hopefully the game is worth the price!

• Locked thread