Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Randaconda posted:

I worked at the Clown when that was going on, and it was so insane the district manager said customers could either get them plain, or the way they come. No special orders. So many adults threw literal tantrums they couldn't get them without mustard or whatever.

When it wasn't the special I'd ask for no onions. I eventually learned to like onions because mickey D's(NUTS LMAO) was the only fast food place to dice their onions so small it made it almost impossible to get every single one without removing all the other good condiments.

THX MCDONALDS! I love onions now. No joke they great.

I also remember when there wasn't a limit to how many you could get and being able to buy a literal bag of fries

ShortyMR.CAT has a new favorite as of 08:40 on Jul 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I seriously loved the bags of minced onions. I would slam a handful on a burger patty and close the grill. I also made little sandwiches out of chicken nugs on cutout Big and Tasty buns, lettuce and mayo.

My friend would order a 9-piece “special” and I’d give them 3 mini chicken sandwiches in a 9 piece box. Or a burger with no mayo to get an onion and bbq sauce cooked burger.

Edit: the 90s-ist thing you can do is hang out at McDonald’s and then rollerblade to 7-11 to play super street fighter

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 02:12 on Jul 8, 2020

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

SLOSifl posted:

I seriously loved the bags of minced onions. I would slam a handful on a burger patty and close the grill. I also made little sandwiches out of chicken nugs on cutout Big and Tasty buns, lettuce and mayo.

My friend would order a 9-piece “special” and I’d give them 3 mini chicken sandwiches in a 9 piece box. Or a burger with no mayo to get an onion and bbq sauce cooked burger.

Hell yeah! I had a friend who worked at a Wendy's in the kitchen, also in the 90s. If he was working when I went in there, my order would be hooked the gently caress up. Extra bacon on my juniour bacon cheese burgers, extra fries, double patties. It was the poo poo if you were high as gently caress.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
That’s the poo poo when you’re sober, too tbh.

I still maintain that Wendy’s is the best overall fast-food chain in the USA.

People who gush over In-and-Out or Whataburger are basically outing themselves as never leaving the west.

Also stress on overall best. Obviously you can’t get loving tacos at Wendy’s or some like, loaded fries combo, but overall selection, taste, and quality are always good.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

More proof that if you're already hot you can make anything work.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Thats a bitchin look already. Besides the wicked SICK inline skates, this is my outfit most all summer right now

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1daJAhdQ3aI

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Is this loving Nathan Fillion

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

CelticPredator posted:

Is this loving Nathan Fillion

It sure as hell is.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

PhotoKirk posted:

Both the Nirvana and the Alice in Chains Unplugged shows were fantastic.

The saddest part of the AiC show was when Layne took off his sunglasses and you could see how far gone he was.

There's a reason he was wearing gloves and longs sleeves at that show.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5mtclwloEQ

same

*dances erotically*

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

If y'all love the impossibly small chopped onions on McD's burgers, here's what you can do: go to the spice aisle of your supermarket and get a canister of the dried chopped onions. Throw some into a container with water and put that into the fridge for a bit. They rehydrate into the exact same thing McD's puts on theirs, and now you can put them on yours.

I know this sounds obvious, and I guess it is once you hear it / try it, but this was a neat little revelation for me a few years back.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pastry of the Year posted:

If y'all love the impossibly small chopped onions on McD's burgers, here's what you can do: go to the spice aisle of your supermarket and get a canister of the dried chopped onions. Throw some into a container with water and put that into the fridge for a bit. They rehydrate into the exact same thing McD's puts on theirs, and now you can put them on yours.

I know this sounds obvious, and I guess it is once you hear it / try it, but this was a neat little revelation for me a few years back.

That's exactly how McD's makes their chopped onions so that tracks

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Gonz posted:

It sure as hell is.

Nice to have proof that at one time he didn’t look like he was perpetually 40

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/yungchomsky/status/1281829744820903937?s=21

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

dialhforhero posted:

That’s the poo poo when you’re sober, too tbh.

I still maintain that Wendy’s is the best overall fast-food chain in the USA.

People who gush over In-and-Out or Whataburger are basically outing themselves as never leaving the west.

Also stress on overall best. Obviously you can’t get loving tacos at Wendy’s or some like, loaded fries combo, but overall selection, taste, and quality are always good.

Anecdotal story time:

Years ago, such as back in the 90s as a matter of fact, my mom's friend owned a pizzeria, and she (friend) used to talk to the delivery guys from the various food service suppliers, and they all said that Wendy's restaurants bought the best quality stuff.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You can find all of Pete&Pete too without much digging.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

mind the walrus posted:

You can find all of Pete&Pete too without much digging.

Still mad season 3 never gOt an official release

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
e: found it nvm

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008

JediTalentAgent posted:

Wasn't there a late 90s purge of a lot of internet sites of copyrighted content that was spearheaded by Fox?

I seem to recall the various episode guide sites, fan sites, screen cap sites for shows like Simpsons, X-Files, etc. seemed to have something all at about the same time over it.

As a high schooler in 1995 or so I had a web page that had a picture of Bart and Homer on it, and I got a legal cease and desist letter sent to my ISP from Fox. They threatened to sue a 15 year old over a 320x280 GIF file from the Simpsons.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Small Bart: Origins

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

gp2k posted:

As a high schooler in 1995 or so I had a web page that had a picture of Bart and Homer on it, and I got a legal cease and desist letter sent to my ISP from Fox. They threatened to sue a 15 year old over a 320x280 GIF file from the Simpsons.
Is it weird that I'm more impressed at Fox's ability to parse the internet in 1995?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Just lol if you have never made a website using frames written in notepad from stealing other people’s html and images.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

wesleywillis posted:

Anecdotal story time:

Years ago, such as back in the 90s as a matter of fact, my mom's friend owned a pizzeria, and she (friend) used to talk to the delivery guys from the various food service suppliers, and they all said that Wendy's restaurants bought the best quality stuff.

I used to do POS support for Wendy's. Part of that was dealing with back of house food purveyor stuff. We also dealt with recipes and how the items should be made.

You are correct. Pretty much everything is fresh. The buns come from a local baker, the rest comes from Sysco or Great Lakes, etc. The guac is pre-made but everything else is fresh. They do buy bagged lettuce but they make the salads in the morning and add the meat when you order so the salads are always fresh. They obsessively clean the Frosty machine. Like on their hands and knees cleaning even the feet of it with a green scrubby. The chili is nice. With the mix of hamburger patties and chili meat you get a nice texture. Don't worry, they don't let patties sit out for hours. They go in a hot cabinet after a few minutes if unsold, then go in the fridge. Chop them up and throw them in the chili when needed. Much less food waste then always throwing stuff out after 5 minutes hold time.
You can also order anything you might possibly want from them as long as they have the components. The POS is setup so that you could make a KFC double-down if you want. Just press the a-la-cart menu button and everything is there. You want 50 beef patties and one slice of cheese? Go nuts. There's a button to do that.

I don't go there often, but I spent a year and a half doing the support job so I know way too much about how Wendy's works.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

mind the walrus posted:

Is it weird that I'm more impressed at Fox's ability to parse the internet in 1995?

I remember Paramount discovering the emerging world wide web and doing their best to poison the Star Trek fanbase by trying to shut down fan pages.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

gp2k posted:

I'm old enough to remember the Insanely Litigious Internet and so it still spins me out - in a delighted way, of course, something increasingly rare - that something like Frinkiac actually not only exists but has done so for years. I mean, it's like every frame and every word of The Simpsons. I don't know if there's some weird legal loop-the-loop that keeps Fox Disney away, or if they're aware that attacking what has become a pretty beloved internet resource would sever the already-flimsy strands of goodwill remaining for that show in A.D. 2020, but yeah, it's weird to think about up against the past.

Copyright law in general completely confounds me. I read once that an old episode of WKRP had to be edited in syndication because a character's doorbell played, like, one instrumental bar of "Fly Me to the Moon." :psyduck:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'm old enough to remember the Insanely Litigious Internet and so it still spins me out - in a delighted way, of course, something increasingly rare - that something like Frinkiac actually not only exists but has done so for years. I mean, it's like every frame and every word of The Simpsons. I don't know if there's some weird legal loop-the-loop that keeps Fox Disney away, or if they're aware that attacking what has become a pretty beloved internet resource would sever the already-flimsy strands of goodwill remaining for that show in A.D. 2020, but yeah, it's weird to think about up against the past.

Copyright law in general completely confounds me. I read once that an old episode of WKRP had to be edited in syndication because a character's doorbell played, like, one instrumental bar of "Fly Me to the Moon." :psyduck:

All of the current WKRP reruns have had the music replaced.

Music rights are weird that way. When shows were in their initial runs up until about 1998, they never expected to be available in home formats. So unfortunately, music get replaced with generic crap, because it's cheaper than renegotiating.

Ever watched Married With Children on streaming?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

See also: Daria, The Wonder Years, Northern Exposure.

I remember in Daria's case it was some sweetheart deal with being on MTV, so they could just slap on Radiohead's "No Surprises" for broadcast and it was cool as long as it was being aired on MTV. That deal obviously did not anticipate where the market was going. A pity too because that late 90s soundtracks adds a lot to the show's verisimilitude.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mind the walrus posted:

See also: Daria, The Wonder Years, Northern Exposure.

I remember in Daria's case it was some sweetheart deal with being on MTV, so they could just slap on Radiohead's "No Surprises" for broadcast and it was cool as long as it was being aired on MTV. That deal obviously did not anticipate where the market was going. A pity too because that late 90s soundtracks adds a lot to the show's verisimilitude.

It was the same thing for Beavis and Butthead. The video segments never made it to home video because they'd have to negotiate new rights to each and every artist that was used.

Speaking of WKRP, supposedly Shout Factory did all the legwork on new rights, so I've read their box set is the one you want if you want the restored music.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Fortunately, the best X-Files episode ever, Season 3, Episode 3: D.P.O., still has all its originally aired music.

That series, and specifically THAT episode, is my contribution to the thread.

Arcades with Virtua Fighter, Filter soundtrack, pre-Tenacious D Jack Black, a Ford Taurus, a completely unknown Giovanni Ribisi.

:discourse:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dialhforhero posted:

Fortunately, the best X-Files episode ever, Season 3, Episode 3: D.P.O., still has all its originally aired music.

Arcades with Virtua Fighter, Filter soundtrack, pre-Tenacious D Jack Black, a Ford Taurus, a completely unknown Giovanni Ribisi.

Yeah, that was probably the most 90's episode of TV to ever exist

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Speaking of WKRP, supposedly Shout Factory did all the legwork on new rights, so I've read their box set is the one you want if you want the restored music.

That's good to know. The version on iTunes is advertised as being cut from the original broadcast material, but still uses generic music that vaguely sounds like what was originally aired.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

empty baggie posted:

That's good to know. The version on iTunes is advertised as being cut from the original broadcast material, but still uses generic music that vaguely sounds like what was originally aired.

"Hold my order, terrible dresser"

https://www.holdmyorderterribledresser.com

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Iron Crowned posted:

It was the same thing for Beavis and Butthead. The video segments never made it to home video because they'd have to negotiate new rights to each and every artist that was used.

From what I've read the Shout Factory discs have over 90% of the music restored. I have a homemade set made by a superfan with 100% of the music restored.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

dialhforhero posted:

I love how before I read the final sentence of your post I was immediately thinking "Is that the one with James' 'Ring the Bells' that plays while a car explodes? That's the only one I'd want to keep."

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
I've been rewatching my Freaks and Geeks DVDs, and yeah, SHOUT Factory did a hell of a job keeping all the original music which is huge for this show.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53YY6SJ_G4k

:negative:

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

no broccoli please posted:

I've been rewatching my Freaks and Geeks DVDs, and yeah, SHOUT Factory did a hell of a job keeping all the original music which is huge for this show.

I remember that being a big deal when the DVDs were released, how they took so long because the creators refused to release them without the original music so they had to negotiate all the rights. Definitely worth it, if they hadn't it just wouldn't have had the same feel, and a couple of episodes would have made no sense at all.

Whatever deal they made, it's applied to streaming too. I last watched Freaks and Geeks a couple of years ago via streaming and everything was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I think The Wonder Years had the same issue, but I picked up a DVD box set last year and all of the music seems to be original.