Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Zero One posted:

Stevie on Malcolm in the Middle was probably the start of that trend.

That guy was insufferable. We knew he had something good to say but ffffffffffff just

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

twistedmentat posted:

Black kids were often on skateboards and "urban". Why can't they be the nerd?
It was probably hard enough a sell for people to have that kind of inclusion on kid-branded products. Now you want the black kid to be smarter than the white kids? AND cool? No, no, no. They're either entirely "urban" and cool or so obscenely smart that their intelligence is a liability and they look like weirdo shut-ins. That or they're just a strictly support character with no adventure potential.

Max from Batman Beyond was probably one of the bigger "smart but not a weirdo" characters of color I remember.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Max from Batman Beyond was probably one of the bigger "smart but not a weirdo" characters of color I remember.

I think Static was also supposed to be pretty smart in a spiderman way but that got overshadowed by his supernerd friend.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zero One posted:

Stevie on Malcolm in the Middle was probably the start of that trend.

Nah Stevie is v. much in the Urkel mode-- exaggerated like crazy. I always felt so bad for the actor for doing the breathing bit, you can tell he regretted that day one choice so much.

I mean it's just a stand-up bit, not like a serious anthropological observation. I mean immediately I think about the nerd from Die Hard ("Oh my god the Quarterback iS toast"), Geordi from Star Trek: TNG, Tuvok from Star Trek: VOY, and others who could arguably be like Urkel but are also clearly black nerds who aren't solely defined by tokenism or exaggeration.

What Glover was more referring to are black nerd characters where being black/nerd not only wasn't their primary definition, but also where they were allowed to be leads and fully-rounded characters with layers. This is more of a general trend in genre fiction anyway you can see in the late 90s/early 00s with shows like Buffy or The Sopranos, and of course The Wire, where character types like goon henchmen and bitchy pretty girls were suddenly allowed to become more fully complex than they had been previously in genre fare.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
True. The comics made him a Black Nerd kid who was into comics and gaming. The animated version leaned more into Black Spiderman stuff, and his buddy became the generic Tech Sidekick after a while.

Weird that your interests were such a hangup in the 90s. "Wtf you like Pokémon? Nerd".

Kids nowadays are more holistic about their picking on classmates than just focusing on interests.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Spike in X-men evolution exists becuase someone at Marvel realized that their comics were super duper popular with black kids. They put him on a skateboard and made him cool, but at least it came from someone realizing that black people were in their audience.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

mind the walrus posted:

Geordi from Star Trek: TNG

You’re right that Geordi is a non-tokenized black (and disabled) nerd but hoooo-boy have his relationships with women throughout the series aged like milk

I rewatched all of TNG with a now-ex while listening to the Greatest Generation podcast like four-five years ago, and Geordi is basically just one increasingly egregious “Me Too” incident after another

he turns into a nerd Mary Sue in the worst ways—and if you were a fan of the broader universe of the show (films, books, comics, etc) you got to find out that he, in canon, eventually goes on to marry the work colleague that he made a secret sex hologram of, which she discovers and eventually apologizes to him for being mad about in a very, very, special episode of TNG.

It’s really bad and super awkward and it reflects some of the worst tendencies in the writers room during Berman-era Trek, and also arguably of any nerd fans that might have seen their lovely entitlements or grievances toward women validated by the utopian future space show.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I mean being real the relationship between the male and female characters on Trek has always been bunk from TOS onward. Roddenberry, Berman, they're all Hollywood sleaze who made female characters give way way too much of a pass to the male characters for being sexpests of one stripe or another. Some of the only times I can think of relationships being handled well on those series were like late-period DS9 where Bashir (correctly) realized he was being an unethical shithead by falling in love with his patient, Worf and Jadzia were adorably equitable, and even that still featured Quark not getting his rear end handed to him by his wait staff on a regular basis. "Oh yeah it's ok that Quark asks his female employees for the alien equivalent of a handjob on the regular, it's just how he is!"

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Mighty Ducks had Jesse and Terry as normal kids and everyone overall was pretty grounded. Then Mighty Ducks II went all in on the ethnic stereotypes with the newcomers, kids and adults.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

I mean being real the relationship between the male and female characters on Trek has always been bunk from TOS onward. Roddenberry, Berman, they're all Hollywood sleaze who made female characters give way way too much of a pass to the male characters for being sexpests of one stripe or another. Some of the only times I can think of relationships being handled well on those series were like late-period DS9 where Bashir (correctly) realized he was being an unethical shithead by falling in love with his patient, Worf and Jadzia were adorably equitable, and even that still featured Quark not getting his rear end handed to him by his wait staff on a regular basis. "Oh yeah it's ok that Quark asks his female employees for the alien equivalent of a handjob on the regular, it's just how he is!"

all true

also Worf and Jadzia being a bright spot doesn’t really count for much when Terry Farrell left the show because of how toxic and sexist the work environment was

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Um Geordis “more kokomomo???” And the some poo poo pirate appears playing a violin is like peak tng and owns.

Almost as good as Riker fighting his dad American gladiator style. YOU CHEATED!!

(Unclear how he cheated)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Um Geordis “more kokomomo???” And the some poo poo pirate appears playing a violin is like peak tng and owns.

Almost as good as Riker fighting his dad American gladiator style. YOU CHEATED!!

(Unclear how he cheated)

the only thing that beats An-Bo-Jitsu in TNG is the “Allamaraine, move along home!” game from DS9

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Ok Comboomer posted:

he turns into a nerd Mary Sue in the worst ways—and if you were a fan of the broader universe of the show (films, books, comics, etc) you got to find out that he, in canon, eventually goes on to marry the work colleague that he made a secret sex hologram of, which she discovers and eventually apologizes to him for being mad about in a very, very, special episode of TNG.

Ehh, that's a bit overblown. The episode where Geordi's married to Leah is in an alternate future created by Q which never happens in the end, and it's also never mentioned in any of the TNG movies. Books and comics are non-canon in Star Trek (unlike say Star Wars) so they don't count. Still not a great thing to write though.

Totally agree with the rest, and so does Levar Burton himself - he once tweeted about not realising how creepy Geordi was until he watched the show again many years later.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Ehh, that's a bit overblown. The episode where Geordi's married to Leah is in an alternate future created by Q which never happens in the end, and it's also never mentioned in any of the TNG movies. Books and comics are non-canon in Star Trek (unlike say Star Wars) so they don't count. Still not a great thing to write though.

Totally agree with the rest, and so does Levar Burton himself - he once tweeted about not realising how creepy Geordi was until he watched the show again many years later.

I’m pretty sure they’re married in one of the film novelizations or its tie-ins, but I agree that the canon-status of those is probably also pretty debatable. It’s not just that specific narrative thread tho, she’s been included in a lot of Trek related media and games and whatnot over the years.

In any case my point is more that it reflects really badly on the writing and show-running/property-running, granted you could say that about pretty much every long-running scifi property at the time.

Like, at the end of the day, everybody in charge of writing and producing the show at that moment thought that Geordi was enough in the right to deserve an “I’m sorry I was so mad at you, I actually like and respect you a lot as a person and fellow professional and would like to be close friends” from Leah, and people whose job it was to make money from the franchise later on have liked Geordi+Leah enough to keep finding new ways of bringing her back and legitimizing their creepy “meet-cute”.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Yeah Levar is a great dude. The character of Geordi, not so much.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Do you remember that time when President George Bush the First got all your favorite cartoons together in one thirty minute special to teach kids about the dangers of drugs and alcohol? Buckle up and prepare to go down the rabbit hole…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hz1UaEVyoo

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cartoon Man posted:

Do you remember that time when President George Bush the First got all your favorite cartoons together in one thirty minute special to teach kids about the dangers of drugs and alcohol? Buckle up and prepare to go down the rabbit hole…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hz1UaEVyoo

Hell yes I do

I've got a poster of it hanging in my old bedroom at my dad's. It's also the cornerstone of my grimdark captain planet reboot

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Parkingtigers posted:

omg, back in the mid-90s I was working in a small badly run comic/collectibles store. A year after MTG made the whole world decide it wanted in on customisable card games, Decipher came out with both a Star Trek and Star Wars CCG that, while clunky, were the best two games that *felt* like you were playing through part of the story in any format. The Star Wars cards had a ton of lore on the cards, and were basically a mini-encyclopedia as well as being a game. It was cool AF. And despite everyone buying it, nobody was playing it, and so I had the full base set and the first 3 expansions but never got to play it. Not in person at least. I did get to play it twice in an extremely '90s visual chatroom called "The Palace", as Decipher had a Star Wars themed Palace chatroom on their site.

Found a current and ongoing set of videos where a couple of chill guys are opening a box of each set of cards, making a deck, and playing out a game. They're up as far as the Dagobah release, and will keep going if it remains popular enough. But I waited 25 years for this moment of vicarious enjoyment of the game, watching packs being opened and a game being played. Long videos, probably not of interest to most of you, but this for me is as peak '90s as it gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTFIbUTrKY4

Oh man, I had these as a kid. My family was poor so I was only able to get the big starter set and a few booster packs like months after it was released and the starter packs started to go on sale. I just remember reading all the cards in bed because as someone else said, the lore and descriptions were top notch. Never did play it though, mostly because I was 10-11 years old and neither my friends nor myself could be bothered to learn how to play it.

Fuckkkk, now I'm looking up sealed sets on ebay and contemplating buying one for the nostalgic rush.

Handsome Ralph has a new favorite as of 02:03 on May 24, 2021

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Please stop posting about SWCCg before I get the urge to complete my sets via Ebay again.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

I had this exact one!
I remember being like 3 or 4 and walking around the 2nd floor of the mall with it and dropping it, and it skidded across the floor and under the glass guard wall thingy that kept you from falling to the first floor.
RIP the Yak Bak

waffy
Oct 31, 2010
Gotta love oddly specific memories of losing things like that. I remember having a set of Disney trading cards with Mickey Mouse and stuff on them. One day in the back seat of my parent’s Oldsmobile, I scooted one along that bottom edge of a window where the window rolls down into the car door. It accidentally slid out my hand and dropped inside the door, never to be seen again. When they eventually got rid of that car, I always wondered about the ultimate fate of that card.

I also had some of that Floam stuff that I think Nickelodeon marketed similar to their Gak. You could roll it into a ball and bounce it on the ground. So one night outside our house I bounced it on the sidewalk and it shot straight at a sewer drain in the street. My dad swooped in and caught it inches from the drain, proving that he was in fact a superhero, because I remember being 100% convinced it was a goner.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm way late to the TCG/CCG discussion but it's kind of funny how EVERYONE decided they needed a card game for their brand of choice.

One day I'm going to find someone to learn and play the Tomb Raider CCG with me.

The existence of the loving Pez card game still just baffles me.

It came around a bit later, but the Neopets TCG was actually kind of fun! I enjoyed it, and it pioneered the whole 'buy cards to unlock prizes IN GAME' thing that Blizzard would later do with the Warcraft TCG.

Heath posted:

It's just so obviously a marketing checklist - for your diversity ticks you've got your black kid and an Asian kid, with four white kids, where black and Asian girls may as well have not existed at all in the early 90s as far as marketing was concerned, to say nothing at all about fuckin' Wheels.

'Good' news! They eventually did an an Asian girl to the club! Her name was Jazz and...yeah...they had her the musician. At least she played trumpet and not the violin or piano?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Anyone else play TSRs Planescape-based Blood Wars CCG? I still have a whole display case of unopened decks.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_JUGsgRSd8

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol that was a time warp.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Heath posted:

I remember even being quite young and thinking that naming the kid in the wheelchair Wheels was astonishingly insensitive. It's just so obviously a marketing checklist - for your diversity ticks you've got your black kid and an Asian kid, with four white kids, where black and Asian girls may as well have not existed at all in the early 90s as far as marketing was concerned, to say nothing at all about fuckin' Wheels.

At least Wheels grew up and eventually formed a detective agency with his partner The Legman.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The 90s thought diversity meant a bunch of white kids with different colour hair.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
I remember a paper cup design from the 90s. An otherwise white paper coffee up with a very simple design/outline of a leaf, and I think the leaf outline was in red, but I think there was some gray on there too. I cannot find a picture of it. I definitely saw it once in an old, old episode of the original Law and Order but I don't know how to watch that.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

This one?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Bizarro Watt posted:

I remember a paper cup design from the 90s. An otherwise white paper coffee up with a very simple design/outline of a leaf, and I think the leaf outline was in red, but I think there was some gray on there too. I cannot find a picture of it. I definitely saw it once in an old, old episode of the original Law and Order but I don't know how to watch that.
Preference, the predecessor to Jazz?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

DrChu posted:

Hell yes. That is exactly it.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Sweevo posted:

The 90s thought diversity meant a bunch of white kids with different colour hair.

Don't forget the use of "positive" stereotypes. Black kids are athletic. Asian kids are good at math. Native American kids are in touch with the Earth.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thomamelas posted:

Don't forget the use of "positive" stereotypes. Black kids are athletic. Asian kids are good at math. Native American kids are in touch with the Earth.

And all male, per their target demographics.

edit: Everybody shut up and drop whatever you were doing, someone found and archived a high-quality copy of the original Super Smash Bros commercial.

Neddy Seagoon has a new favorite as of 04:47 on May 24, 2021

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

DrChu posted:

Oddly I would've pegged this as coming after, as it feels a lot less '90s to me. Wouldn't really look out of place today.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

Oddly I would've pegged this as coming after, as it feels a lot less '90s to me. Wouldn't really look out of place today.

I always associated it with late 80s.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Those cups make me think of a mid 90s dentist office wall.

Okay, is Faith No More basically a NuMetal Band?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG_k5CSYKhg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9_hCjcFNO0
https://youtu.be/U8b88US-6ts

Like there's stuff in there that sounds a lot like just what RHCP and bands like that with their, as I can call it, Punk Funk LA skate rock thing, but there's a lot of what you'd see from Korn, System of a Down and I guess Limp Bizkit. Mike Patton isn't whiney enough though.

Also after this video a friend of mine self pierced her eyebrow
https://youtu.be/vPzDTfIb0DU
Also becuse I fell down a hole of watching FNM videos, I noticed baby Martin Freeman in this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKDo6g4CCeU
VIdeos from the 90s have a bunch of actors who became big later, like Matt LeBlanc being this this Alanis video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_LFnEoG62Q
Though Into the Great Wide Open from Tom Petty was shot after Johnny Depp became notable?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqmFxgEGKH0
Though the story presented in this video is somewhat prophetic based on Depps recent behavior. Oh! There's Matt LeBlanc again!

twistedmentat has a new favorite as of 02:24 on May 25, 2021

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Sir Lemming posted:

The color scheme gives it away as 80s. IDK why, but deep reds and greys scream "1983" to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Neito posted:

The color scheme gives it away as 80s. IDK why, but deep reds and greys scream "1983" to me.

Montgomery Ward