Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I lived for these loving pencils. The holofoil one (the second one vertical from the left) kept me entertained all through 3rd grade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I love the kid passed out on the couch, exhausted from the insane fun

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The linkin park poster places this image squarely in the early 2000s so this is kind of like 90s runoff.

DrBouvenstein posted:

The quoted lines are much more fun to read if, like me, your mind immediately assumed it was Jerry Seinfeld before clicking the link.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who did this

Heath has a new favorite as of 08:02 on Sep 15, 2015

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
System_of_a_down_Zelda_song_RARE.mp3

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Section Z posted:

I like cool spot. All of the sunglasses, sneakers, and mickey mouse gloves of a 90's Icon. None of the forced catch phrases.

Oh right, I think earlier in the thread somebody mentioned DNL (Though I saw that in the 200Os so yeah). They had special display stands to put it upside down, so customers could go "Ooooh, it's 7up, upside down :downs:"

I remember dnL being pretty ok. It also brings to mind the Make 7-Up Yours campaign

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Inzombiac posted:

This thread has shown me that https://www.i-mockery.com is still alive and cookin'. Wow.

I posted on the forums here for several years (along with several other people who migrated over here.) it was like a low-rent SA

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I haven't watched Mission Hill in probably over a decade but this joke has always stuck in my mind because it's possibly the single funniest word I've ever heard

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The Starter jackets were the only fashion thing I recall actively wanting to participate in. I got a Miami Dolphins coat, living in Illinois with no interest in sports whatsoever, simply because I liked the colors. It was a poo poo coat.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
No, but they're making HD remasters of the first three games. So that's something.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Still stoked for Volume 2!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I miss early 2000s internet humor.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

That was like, 1996 Internet humor!

Well 2000 is when I got exposed to it

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Alex Mack and Capri Sun both got the rights to that filter and had to share it

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Superman really isn't maintaining the moral high ground here

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Don't forget about the mid 90's obsession with teal, burgundy, salmon pink and that dark forest green. Pretty sure every third car sold back then was that green color, with gold badging if you got the luxury model. Pretty much any mall food court from then is a good example of that color scheme too.

There is a hair salon in my tiny hometown that latched on to the pink-and-teal on black-and-white Duran Duran album cover aesthetic and clings to it to this day. Even the outside of the storefront is alternating stripes of black, white and pink.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Jean companies have very different interpretations of what constitutes 36 inches. God help you if you wear an odd number size (I wear 31s when I can find them, 32s when I can't, which is basically all the time.)

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I remember loving the gently caress out of crystal Pepsi but I was also very young when it came out. The idea of it being clear but tasting like Pepsi made it seem magical somehow. Plus all of my favorite Nintendo games had magic crystals!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Lemon Pepsi was great and I wish they would bring it back. I can't remember what they actually called it, I think it was Pepsi Twist?

And why is it that every special edition flavor of the Mountain Dew rainbow gets shelf space forever but anything else gets chucked after a couple of months?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Clarissa's mom was way hotter than I realized

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
There were reasons other than gaming to own a PC but yeah that was a hard ask at the time

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Cartoon Man posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tJE3KDxTbWI

This was always my favorite part of this movie, but I’m trying to decide if it’s cringey these days. On the one hand it excoriates the rich privileged upper class but it kinda uses cultural appropriation to do so.

Isn't that the point?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The Thanksgiving pageant itself is gauche enough nowadays that I don't think it would work as well as it does in the context of the early 90s. But it's very clearly riffing on that exact thing - that audience is so blindingly WASPy white it has to be intentional.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Lotron posted:

Can't have 90's without
attitude

60 year old white woman, tortoiseshell glasses, 190 pounds, walks with a slight limp, with a slightly gravelly over-salivated voice, tight-fitting jeans that aren't supposed to be, and slightly yellowed Reebok sneakers, still thinks her teenage nephews wear a child's Medium tee shirt

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Capn Jobe posted:

I learned about it from Homer Simpson, which I guess is also pretty 90s (in that those were the really good years for The Simpsons).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb_uWogPeno

What the hell episode is this? His voice sounds weird too

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I was going to say, that was utterly unfamiliar to me.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Imagine trying to up-shift in those shoes.

Edit: just noticed the training wheels lol

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

DrBouvenstein posted:

I can't tell you the number of times I saw this ad for Bonk's Adventure when reading comics in the early to mid 90's:

Never played it, or any Turbo Grafix 16 game for that matter, but drat if this ad doesn't make it look confusing as gently caress.

He's a...caveman? Who fights sort of dinosaurs, but also needs to save a dinosaur princess...then there's a tractor thing, and power flowers? Also he hits things with his head? Sure.

Bonk is a weird fuckin' game series but it rules

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
We need to return to the era of the Big Shirt

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Wearing Zubaz is in the same category as those hentai face shirts. You wear them ironically to offend everyone around you but also you want to broadcast your sexual fetishes to the world

Please do not elaborate on what sexual fetish Zubaz represent

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Bonsai Cats

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Iron Crowned posted:

You know, I haven't looked in a while, but it seems like those post-apocalypic Skittles commercials from the mid-90's are lost to time. There was a whole series of them, but the first one was the farmer that plants a handful of Skittles in his field, and it starts raining Skittles.

Of course there's a crashed aircraft sticking out of the field, the farmhouse while not in disrepair is starting to decay, and the farmer is wearing a pilot hat implying that he had crashed there years ago, in the before times.

There were a bunch of them over a couple of years, all summoning a rain of Skittles.

There was a PS2 game loosely tied into those commercials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8rN4JGWA4w

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I waz just thinking I'm super into hipster Elaine there.

Yeah that's not a bad look for her

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
In the US Cadbury is generally just associated with Easter because of the eggs. I'm pretty sure they're always kind of, y'know, around, but not a brand name on anyone's mind until Easter.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

dialhforhero posted:

The Cadbury commercial is also not updated for HD and is instead zoomed to fit the aspect ratio of widescreen.

It looks like total poo poo.

I guess they got their money’s worth out of it but goddamn make a new commercial.

That bunny has 6,000 descendants who live off of those royalties

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The 90s are the only decade with an umabiguous end date: Sept. 11th, 2001. You can be fudgy about when "the 80s" really ended, but the 90s-00s transition feels sharp as a knife.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

This is spoken with the same cadence as Albuquerque by Weird Al

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Fors Yard posted:

Eiffel 65 meant to be just Eiffel and the 65 was part of a phone number that accidentally got associated with it and became the name.

The 90s thing with numbers was there being little or no explanation for the number. 1000 Maniacs conjures some sort of idea or image. Blink 182 was also originally Blink and just tacked on the number.

One eighty two has a pleasant number of syllables and some alliteration

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The 90s. That's what.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Are they, though? I loved it as an angsty teen but rewatching it as an adult I found a lot of it really cringey. Like, look at the way Daria treats Kevin and Brittany: sure, they're dumb, but they're also perfectly nice to her. She turns against her best friend for the sins of 1. getting interested in something Daria can't do (track and field) and 2. meeting a guy she likes.
It's really very much that like episode of 30 Rock where Liz goes to her high school reunion intending to tell off / show up all the people who bullied her, only to find out that they saw her as the bully all along, and people only hated her because she treated everyone like poo poo.

You seem to be confusing character flaws with the quality of the show itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

twistedmentat posted:

Phone posting but
Do it for England!
ING-GER-LAND!

My brain did not read that the way you wrote it when I opened the thread