Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel as though big standalone action or disaster movies like Twister were the big box office blockbusters of the 90s or at least the second half of the decade - e.g. Independence Day, The Rock, Deep Impact, Armageddon, Air Force One etc. - but I don't feel like you really get movies like that now unless they're part of a franchise or are intended to start a franchise.

Somewhere, a Hollywood executive just started planning a Disaster Movie Cinematic Universe.

(I tried coming up with a description for what the big team-up movie would be like, but it was basically Sharknado)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
They were trying to get the youth vote, but it was before memes

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
For my family, 9/11 literally led to us getting cable (and thus, Fox News) because most of the TV signal we picked up had been transmitted by the twin towers.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The mid-90s were also a high watermark for CD mixing. Most mixing engineers had finally figured out how to actually have audible bass and keep everything at a reasonable average volume, so it didn't sound weak like most '80s CDs, but they hadn't yet figured out how to compress it all to hell. Until the end of the decade, right around Californication. We're only just now starting to recover from that garbage trend.

The 2000's were very noisy.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Iron Crowned posted:

What is that font called anyway? It was all over everything in the 90's

Looks a bit like Flexure but it's hard to tell.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I've never liked Sublime, yet I still buy every album 311 puts out. :shrug:

I think it's just because of the lead singer's delivery; there's something about it that strikes me as smug or something. Very subjective. Same reason I can't get into Cake even though, genre-wise, they really seem like something I'd love.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Same album, but also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PS3HdJHCs0

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

wow

such nintendo

such graphic

wow

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I will save whatever quarters I can just in case I need to use one of those stupid tire air filling stations. It's getting harder and harder to find any to save though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

AlternateAccount posted:

Steven Tyler just did 3 hours on Joe Rohan’s podcast. Exactly what you think it is. Wow.

You're getting your Tylers mixed up; that was Arwen on the Rohan podcast.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Randaconda posted:

Jihad/Vampire: The Eternal Struggle was good. Illuminati was good too, and Steve Jackson Games was like the only company that saw the crash coming and pulled out early and din't get burned.

But clearly, the makers of Jihad didn't see the crash coming

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

twistedmentat posted:

Was there ever basic cable boobs in the US? Canada we had the French Channel with its Blue Nuit, and later Showcase and Bravos broadcast of indie and european movies including the best erotic movies Europe can provide. You could see straight up penetration in a few of them.

Not really, but I think there were occasional late-night exceptions. In the early 2000s, MTV (or MTV2, who knows) would show uncensored music videos late at night, sometimes, including stuff like NIN's "Closer" and Prodigy's "Smack My Bitch Up" which are both pretty out there. Comedy Central also showed the South Park movie and celebrity roasts uncensored late at night sometimes, not sure if they did other stuff like that, or how far the content went beyond cursing. (Saddam Hussein's dildo in SP:BLU is pretty explicit though.)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Iron Crowned posted:

When it comes to cable, they're not as regulated by the FCC like your over the air networks are. Cable channels are considered optional, so technically they could show boobs at noon if they really wanted to deal with the puritanical pushback. On the other hand cable channels have their own standards and practices departments that can actually be more strict than the FCC at times. There's been quite a few cases of working around the S&P restrictions coming up with some much better solutions than just calling someone an rear end in a top hat.

Oh I know. I was just responding to that question. Legally they could show whatever they want any time. (With a few truly blatant exceptions I suppose.)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

enigmahfc posted:

I still sing "Money shot!" when the time is appropriate (it's never appropriate, but still)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXlCjmLzNp0

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

fast cars loose anus posted:

This is the first U2 song I ever heard, and I felt extremely deceived when I listened to my dad's U2 CDs as a result because it's just about the least U2 song they've ever done and also the one song of theirs I've ever liked

This is fairly true, but most of their '90s output is closer to this style than the rest of their stuff. Achtung Baby's got some bangers on it. Hard to believe it was their first full-length album after Joshua Tree, the U2-est album.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Wheat Loaf posted:

That trend of "Music from and inspired by" soundtracks seems like an exclusively 90s thing. Thinking of the biggest soundtrack albums of the past five years or so, they're either all originals from the movies (Frozen, The Greatest Showman) or licensed songs that were played in the movie (Guardians of the Galaxy and its sequel).

I can't remember how it was for the Black Panther - it might have been more of a "from and inspired by" affair but I'm not sure.

Black Panther basically fits that mold, as far as I could tell only 2 songs from the soundtrack album appear in it (club scene and credits).

Which isn't too surprising because it's actually some pretty raw stuff for a PG-13 Disney movie.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mein Koin, which would make for some really confusing discussions of how to mine Mein Koins

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Flaggy posted:

Every graduation I went to in the 90's had this song. Including my own, for years afterwards this song was played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foyAOoVagWw

I was always wondering if that obvious ploy actually worked on anybody.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think someone made a comment as to why Disney songs tended to always win the Academy Award for best song was because Disney was able to get them a lot more pop radio airplay. Six of Ten 90s Best Songs Oscars went to Disney movies in the 90s, with 5 of those being to animated movies.

Conversely, the 2000-2010 era of best song looks like backlash against that in some respect. I look at all the nominees and winners for best songs look a lot different and even the number of songs nominated in many years was only 3 from 4-5.

Sort of a "chicken or the egg" thing but Disney was doing way less musicals around that time. Pixar (and imitators) were putting out all the big-name animated stuff and Disney's output was attempting to appeal to teenagers (with limited success).

It's probably a cyclical thing, and they've realized the time is now right to target the children of people who grew up on Disney musicals.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Randaconda posted:

I was unaware Blur had more than one song, though.

I mean... It's right there in the name

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
D&D was the weirdest Satanic Panic. I guess it's just because spells or whatever, but there's plenty of other fantasy that escaped unscathed. Whoever started that panic did a great job, because a lot of my parents' generation still have a deep mistrust of D&D even if they're pretty cool about other stuff.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That's an excerpt from the upcoming Ready Player Two: The Late Night Wars

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It was definitely The Sopranos. People had heard of HBO originals before, but everybody was talking about The Sopranos. Not that there was nothing being produced on that level before, but it was popular enough to convince a lot of other networks to put in that level of effort and money for a TV show.

24 was definitely the big influencer for serialization, but I think of these as 2 separate trends that happened to coincide, though they probably helped each other.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWo-02Hsab4

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's basically the same thing currently happening to movie theaters. Consumer tech got good enough to give you the same experience at home and ultimately cheaper / more convenient / don't have to deal with annoying people or poorly maintained facilities. And once again we see them throwing whatever gimmicks they can against a wall hoping something will stick.

I see a similar future for both: fewer venues, but they will serve beer

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
As a New Yorker, I--

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Ehh, pizza is one of those things that goons get really weirdly snobby about and I find it's always best to ignore those derails when they happen.

* Quietly passes over thread like the angel of death *

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It seems like we're destined to have this crossposted in every thread, but it definitely belongs here. The new Grimes song definitely hits that late-90s nostalgia button pretty hard. Specifically that just-before-9/11 high-gloss metallic neon future vibe. Sort of like a cleaner-sounding Orgy or Powerman 5000 song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYG_4vJ4qNA

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
https://twitter.com/BigDogClub/status/1069604024356298753

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anyone else sort of like Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and the Brian Setzer Orchestra or is it just me?

I think it's because I played in a youth jazz orchestra when I was younger and we did some of those charts.

I still Stan for Brian Setzer, it may have been a fad but it's still drat good music. Maybe I'm just weird/old, but big band/swing music feels like it will always be appropriate in a certain context. Sort of like classical I guess.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

wow

such britnay

such spier

wow

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Randaconda posted:

Isn't Violator entirely about heroin as well?

(Besides Enjoy The Silence, that's obviously about heroin)

It's maybe roughly 75% about heroin. Songs Of Faith And Devotion, about 85%. Then Ultra is 100%.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Pastry of the Year posted:

"It peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard 200 music chart, and was certified as double platinum, meaning two million copies were sold in the United States. Worldwide, the album sold around six million copies."

So that's what that Simpsons joke was about.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
If it was Doom it must've been a later release of it. I'm sure I would've cheated out the rest of the game if I could've.

I don't think Doom 2 ever had a "shareware" version unless there was eventually something done retroactively. I think at that point they knew Doom was a license to print money which was why it was a full retail game instead of episodic like they had previously done.

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Apr 24, 2019

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
We just "rented" PC games from a local shop that I'm sure was totally authorized to do that.

Fortunately my dad had a photocopier so we could also make copies of the pages of the manual that had the answers to the copy protection quizzes.

We did uninstall the games eventually.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Phanatic posted:

You didn't need authorization to do it until 1990. First sale says once you've purchased a thing, it's yours to do with what you want. Video rental stores didn't need anyone's authorization to rent out the video tapes they purchased. In late 1990, though, Congress passed a law prohibiting software rentals without the authorization from the rightsholder. So if your games shop was renting before that it was totally in the clear .

Well I rented Doom 2 so...

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Volcott posted:

A network of self-reporting sexperverts.

I thought our slogan was "The Internet Makes You Stupid".

chitoryu12 posted:

I think whether or not a metal or rock band was able to survive the 90s was dependent on whether their sound could actually be tweaked. Bon Jovi and Aerosmith had a harder blues edge to their sound, so even if their appearance was outdated the music was still distinctive and couldn't really be tied to a specific decade. Poison, Ratt, Dokken, and other hair metal bands were extremely 80s and took the genre's stereotypes to the point where they couldn't recover if the public turned on the genre. Guns n' Roses probably could have made it if Axl wasn't a lunatic.

Your point is well taken, but Aerosmith was already firmly a legacy act at that point, they had a good 10+ years on Bon Jovi. They were well into their "every album is their comeback album" phase by then.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

After leaving the recording industry he opened a hot dog stand.

Coney Bon Jovi

It got a negative review entitled "You Give Lunch A Bad Name"

in Bon Jovi Appetit magazine

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's not exactly what this thread is for, but it's definitely 90s-related: The Bittersweet Symphony Dispute Is Over

quote:

For the last 22 years, The Verve haven't made a penny from Bittersweet Symphony, after forfeiting the royalties to The Rolling Stones.

The song was embroiled in a legal battle shortly after its release, after The Verve sampled an orchestral version of The Stones' song The Last Time.

As a result, writer Richard Ashcroft had to sign over his rights to Mick Jagger and Keith Richards - until now.

Speaking as he received a lifetime achievement prize at the Ivor Novello Awards, Ashcroft announced: "As of last month, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards signed over all their publishing for Bittersweet Symphony, which was a truly kind and magnanimous thing for them to do."

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

twistedmentat posted:

Though was using the CD for the sound better than having sound files?

Kinda. Being able to fit ≈650MB per disc instead of 1.44 was a pretty drat big jump. Games didn't immediately balloon in size to match, so they started exploring other ways to fill the space, which led to both crappy FMV games and Redbook audio. For the most part, game data loaded from the CD would reside in memory during actual gameplay (as reading from a CD is much slower), so the disc drive would basically be doing nothing until it had to load a new level or whatever. So it made sense to have the game tell the drive "play track 8" to give it something to do in the meantime, while also reaping the benefits of the best audio available at the time (losing some interactivity in the process).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I used to do both! Hard to believe I had the time.