Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Got to see Sleater-Kinney last year in Seattle :rock: Only strengthened my huge, sloppy crush on Carrie Brownstein. Was going to drive out to Spokane with my roommate to go see them again in August but...you know...

At one point during the show Carrie's talking to the audience and talking about how important it is show up for causes you believe in (especially since the 2016 election) but at the same time that it's also important to show up for things that you love and goddamn does that just hit different in hindsight. If only we all knew what was coming.

Bikini Kill was going to have a reunion show in Seattle this year, too, that also got corona'd. Decemberists were doing their 20th anniversary tour this year as well.

God, what this year could have been :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

So you share my pain, then :smith:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Should’ve had “bat poo poo crazy” as a third option for the Britney question.

In hindsight I'd say it was less "crazy" and more "she is being exploited by the adults in her life" :smith:

Happy Landfill has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Dec 6, 2020

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah, I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if those rumors turned out to be true. Hollywood is pretty hosed up and I'm sure there's so much that we will just never know about.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

After the Weinstein and Me Too revelations, the frame of “why are all these Hollywood women acting so crazy” has a definitive answer: widespread sexual abuse. “Oh actors are just crazy”. Sure.

Imagine showing up for an office job and all the women there and on the factory floor were raped by the boss. That’s Miramax.

It definitely puts Amanda Bynes' downward spiral in to a different context and she worked with Dan Schneider for a long time. It sucks because Schneider was just up and fired from Nick a couple years ago and so many people thought it may have been because something big was about to drop....and then nothing happened? I don't know, he's been such a big money maker for Nick for years so I still have a hard time that they would just let him go over being "difficult to work with". Who knows, maybe we will never truly know. I just know that I feel really bad for thinking Jamie-Lynn Spears was an idiot for getting pregnant like; even if the rumors aren't true, often times it's a lot more complicated in that, especially when you're a young girl having your public image tightly controlled by one group of adults while also (potentially) getting unwanted attention from another.

Glad they put Weinstein in jail, though. For a while I was thinking it was probably a lost cause so I was pretty surprised when the charges stuck. That said, I'm still pissed they let Bryan Singer do the Bohemian Rhapsody movie.

mind the walrus posted:

That still boils my loving blood, and by many accounts it's the tip of the iceberg.

Read a lot of interesting accounts of what the atmosphere was like on a lot of the shows he did. Apparently it wasn't uncommon for him to throw parties for the underaged cast at his house while alcohol was freely flowing. Again, mostly rumors, so I try not to get too worked up about it and we will ultimately never really know for sure

Happy Landfill has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Dec 7, 2020

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Makes sense. That would probably completely ruin Nick by association. I'm not sure how a channel devoted entirely to kids entertainment comes back from harboring more than one chronic sex creep. Think I heard somewhere that they rehired another sex creep after he served time in prison for something to do with kids...some production guy, I think.

But it is more likely that nothing will ever happen

Yeesh :smith:

Happy Landfill has a new favorite as of 08:16 on Dec 8, 2020

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Michael Medved...now there's a name I haven't heard in forever

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

Beetlejuice movie was a formative experience for kid me. i dread the day they try to remake it. and they will, there's nothing they won't defile.

If it makes you feel any better, the recent Beetlejuice stage musical is excellent

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Bought some Chupa Chups from the Asian grocery store near my house since they were selling them by the register. I haven't had one of those goddamned things since '99, so I ate the three that I bought one right after the other

Edit: guess Chupa Chups are not 90s specific, but the first time I ever had them was because they were doing an ad campaign with the Spice Girls, so I associate them with the 90s, I guess

Happy Landfill has a new favorite as of 08:17 on Jan 23, 2022

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can't say that and not tell us what flavours you got :colbert:.

Btw the correct answer for best flavour is Watermelon, and no I will not be taking questions at this time.

Two strawberry and...orange, I think the second one was? They were real good 10/10

Ok Comboomer posted:

Fun fact: the Chupa Chups logo was designed by Salvador Dalí
I didn't know that! It's a drat fine looking logo

I actually had no idea Chupa Chups were Latin American until I looked it up just now

Happy Landfill has a new favorite as of 09:27 on Jan 23, 2022

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

I associate them with the obscure British 2D platformer game Zool (1992). So there's definitely some connection with that whole second British Invasion thing that was going on.
I also feel like for the longest time after the Spice Girls thing you just couldn't find them anywhere? I remember keeping an eye out for any sort of Chupa Chup and never having any luck, so they are definitely an artifact of the 90s in my mind

BaronVonVaderham posted:

These were great. Our babysitter when I was a child was obsessed with them. We'd camp out the street corner to wait for the ice cream truck (we were on a little side street he wouldn't go down) and buy out the entire stock.
THOSE!!!!!!!!! :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Suddenly the anime kid obsession with Ahegao makes sense... :thunk:

N-no.... :catstare:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Wow, somehow I missed that she updated that PSA. Super cool of her to do that. If anything it just shows how the public perception on the War on Drugs has changed

Out of everything in this video it was the FBI Warning at the beginning that got me

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Had my first Snapple Element in 20 years yesterday :feelsgood: Air is amazing but Rain was the one I liked when I was a kid. my stepsiblings and i would (I'm sorry this sounds so dumb) get the flavor that matched the pokemon starter we always chose. So since I always chose Water pokemon I got the rain flavor and my step brother always got Fire...I think my step sister would get Air because I don't remember there being a Grass/Earth flavor of elements.

Idfk we were 9 or whatever

That said, I'm ride or die for Grass pokemon now :cool:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

The one-two lunch of Tom Kenny and Wayne Knight is :eyepop:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Neito posted:

The thing was large enough to partition off sections of our living room at the time. I kinda want an L-desk (I'd like to have a little more desk space, and one of those blotter calendars that for some reason i've always associated with being important), but I like my current standing desk too much to change.
My step-dad had something similar, except it was more v-shaped and had to be put in the corner of the room and would extend down the nearby walls. We jokingly called in the Command Center. He still has the main corner desk piece but sold of the extension parts some years ago. Even without the extra pieces it's still gently caress huge

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Neito posted:

By the time On Demand and digital cable were a thing we'd already gotten rid of our cable subscription, and now I do cable through a CableCard hooked up to my HDHomerun, so on-demand has never really been a thing I think about.

I loved that Right Stuf had its own Comcast On-Demand channel with a bunch of anime to watch for free. I shoulder-surfed my mom putting in the parental control code and that's how I first watched Golden Boy and Devil Hunter Yoko :toot:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

This is just making me realize that space ghost coat to coast is a lot older than I thought...and I was also up much later at a much younger age than I thought

I'm also remembering the first time I saw an episode of the actual Space Ghost show on cartoon network and being SO CONFUSED

Man, Cartoon Network owning all the Hannah Barbarra stuff was pretty cool :shobon:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Speaking of Cartoon Network and its late night block, I will always appreciate Adult Swim for introducing me to Gorillaz and Daft Punk after that one night where they just aired animated music videos. Although I'm pretty sure this was 2001, but whatever I'm counting it

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

My very first Internet friend I made was obsessed with Korn. This was back in very early 2000 and I remember it being my first instance of, "I have zero interest in this thing you love but I'm happy you love it :)" sort of thing. I did get in to Linkin Park, though, and that was my formal introduction to the Alternative Radio Station :rock:

Listening through the Shrieking Shack podcast, a Harry Potter reread for lapsed fans, and just got to them starting Prisoner of Azkaban and I completely forgot the books 1-3 were published between '96 and '99. I know book 1 was '96 but for some reason I thought publication was spread out a bit more. Must have gotten it mixed up with the last three books where should could negotiate for less strict deadlines and less editing

Anyway jk Rowling sucks now . Or maybe she always did. Whatever

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

It's kind of funny how many 80s rock stars looked at what Nirvana was doing and had no idea how respond to it. Except Bon Jovi, apparently.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

It's obvious, but gently caress it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHdEceiqBAQ

And yes the top spot is the one you'd want it to be.

Spice World is a Good Movie

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

caspergers posted:

Up your butt and around the corner

In the tube and out the boob

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Guy Axlerod posted:

I know this list is selecting for the wild designs, but I'm impressed at how bold and complicated the designs are. In the 90's even the K-Mart had some neon lights on the wall, and Walmart had the smileys up around. The GTE Contact Center reminded me of an office I worked in that was last remodeled in the 90s.

The Walmart smiley always makes me think of this MacHall strip....which came out in 2001so it's still 90's enough

http://www.machall.com/view.php?date=2001-12-21

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Did anyone else used to make glue bookmarks by squeezing a bunch of glue in to the indentation on these school supply boxes and letting the glue dry completely before peeling out the strip of dried glue?

You could make them colored, too, if you colored the indentation with highlighters before you squeezed the glue out. I used to try and make mine look like tie-dye, because I was obsessed with tie-dye

Edit: sorry if this sounds confusing, I'm not sure how else to describe it

Edit again, sorry: literally found a video of what I'm talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BrsKIdcKIo

Happy Landfill has a new favorite as of 16:57 on May 12, 2023

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was wearing short sleeve ts over long sleeve a 90s thing or 00s or did it ride the fence. God I hope that comes back

I'm still waiting for Old Navy to bring back their good cargo pants :argh:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

lol my family still has one of those. Not this same one but similar

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

PhotoKirk posted:

I ate an entire ten-pack of 79 cent soft tacos in one sitting.

I am not proud.

You should be, though

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Gonz posted:

Circa 1991:

I had the Pound Puppies version of this

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/1995-pound-puppies-fold-away-playset-super-playground--470344754812761469/

This thing loving owned. My grandma bought it for me because I was 6 and we were about to go on a road trip to visit some elderly relatives and it was probably going to be a very boring vacation for me while the adults visited. Kept me more than entertained

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Wayne Knight posted:

They brought snapple rain back, but it's not as good as it was in my memories.

Snapple Air is still good as hell :fyadride:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Relevant to the recent graphic design discussion, someone on Reddit posted this graphic about the different eras of graphic design from 1980's to today. Interesting to see that each era's aesthetic doesn't really get solidified until at least three or four years in to the decade, which could be why we keep joking that the 90's lasted until at east 2002. The graphic is really big so I'll just post a link to the thread topic

https://www.reddit.com/r/Design/comments/13yg4wn/eras_of_aestheticsgraphic_design/

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I feel like the 90s ended in stages.
In terms of aesthetics, it ended in October 2001 when the iPod came out and the sleek minimalism replaced the 90s vibe.
In terms of politics and general culture/society, it obviously ended on September 11, 2001.
In terms of music, not so sure. I was a late bloomer in terms of musical interest so I'm sure someone else could say more than me.
In terms of fashion... yeah. lol. I'm a goon, take a guess how my fashion sense is.
In terms of film, 1999. The Matrix ended the 90s.

This is definitely the better way to look at it. It really is amazing to think how the iMac and the iPod changed everything when it came to aesthetics

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Nowher posted:

I've been on a bit of an aesthetics binge lately. I found this interesting yet somewhat lengthy youtube video about Y2K design which I really enjoyed.

Looking back the techno-optimisim looks hilariously dated and out of touch but it holds a special place in my heart. I was in my late teens and early 20s in that period. My life revolved around two things then, technology and the house, trance and club scene. Feel like I was fully immersed in this poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMeoeGGEimE

Techno-optimism is a really spot-on way to refer to it :stare:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

More about aesthetics; I found a couple of cool posts on Tumblr talking about the 80's Memphis style, how it was so specific to the tail end of the 80's and early 90's and why it keeps getting conflated with the 90's style . Basically how styles do not end immediately with the decade and always spill over in to the next, hence why it's totally fine to bring up the early 2000's in the 90's thread :v: 90's is better defined by dirty grunge aesthetic and distressed type-writer font..but then also segueing into embracing digital trends and the like

https://www.tumblr.com/waffled0g/719301686352576512/everyone-gets-the-90s-look-wrong-and-i-hate-it
https://www.tumblr.com/dingdongyouarewrong/719485575190675456/everyone-gets-the-90s-look-wrong-so-lets-fix-it

And yeah, any 80's style that doesn't include wood paneling everywhere is just wrong :colbert:

edit: Also, this is a very cool page that details all the different design styles from the different eras. Neat stuff!
https://cari.institute/aesthetics

Edit again: Another good post from them where they talk Hypnospace Outlaw and Vaporwave
https://www.tumblr.com/waffled0g/719504603447705600/how-good-is-hypnospace-outlaw-at-the-90s?source=share

Happy Landfill has a new favorite as of 03:43 on Jun 8, 2023

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Had to fix your link to part 2 of that rant because it wasn’t working right. It’s spot on though, that’s definitely the true beginning of the aesthetic ‘90s

Oh, thank you! Didn't catch that! Fixed it in my post

pumped up for school posted:

Hello rabbit hole. This is great, thanks for sharing.

You're welcome! It's super cool seeing all the different styles laid out like that and what years they were popular in

Happy Landfill has a new favorite as of 03:43 on Jun 8, 2023

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Man, give it up for New Wave Tropical, the unsung 90's aesthetic that actually started in the late 70's

https://cari.institute/aesthetics/new-wave-tropical

I swear everyone had at least one shirt like the tropical fish shirt that you either got at an aquarium or at the beach some where on vacation

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

The lack of Sleater-Kinney on that chart makes me :(

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

:catstare: no

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

Hi thread, dunno if this has been posted because I'm 3000 posts behind but this website is cool as gently caress

https://my90stv.com

It's a site that lets you watch only things from a certain year, or decade, from the 1950s through the 2000s filtered by year/decade and type of content you want. You can put it on shuffle and playlist mode and just let it run randomly through whatever decade you want. There's a few fun things on there like static filters and stuff that emulate analog OTA tv with antennas. I have this going on my second monitor a lot as background noise, def recommend checking it out

This fucks so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Replace the cardigan with a drug rug and it would fit mid 90s just fine

Or just carry around a carton of milk