Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

As someone who watched Wonder Years as a kid during the original run, it's a bit mind blowing to realize the original series was as far removed from the from the time it depicted as we are now from the early 2000s.

I know they just announced a Wonder Years reboot with a black family in the same era, but it would be interesting to do one now with the same "20 years ago" time frame. Imagine a Kevin Arnold who comes of age from 2000-2005 during 9/11 and the societal mess that followed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

ultrafilter posted:

It just misses the cutoff for the 90s, but at one point Pepsi had the sixth largest Navy in the world. Guess they should've held on to some of them to trade for a fighter jet.

Related, and falling squarely into the early 90s though was the Barq's root beer "Soviet Stuff" promo, where you could send in some proofs of purchase and they'd send you some USSR memorabilia they picked up for dirt cheap after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

I did it and got a handful of Lenin pins in the mail, wish I could remember where child me eventually stashed them.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I'm absolutely the Macarena! column with multiple Macarena albums to choose from.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Cartoon Man posted:

This dial up modems were $130 and not even 56K...

I'm actually kind of impressed that in 1996 Best Buy already had not one, not two, but three HTML authoring programs on sale in their weekly circular. The web was still moderately niche then; I'm trying to remember if AOL even offered WWW access at that point.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

central dogma posted:

^^Throwing a number in you band name was pretty 90s.
Blink182
Eve6
Finger Eleven
Ben folds five
Matchbox 20
10000 maniacs

Etc.

I thought Ben Folds Five was a throwback to the way bands/musicians used to include the number of members in their name, like the Dave Clark Five or the Dave Brubeck Quartet...with a bit of wink since there was only 3 people in Ben Folds Five.

e: though the general trend of "noun" + "random number" did seem to be a thing in band names in the 90s.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I never got that much into MTG but I played a lot of SWCCG. I had a friend who was fairly into it as well, and the two of us stuck with it into the mid-2000s, well after they stopped printing them, though we never went to any tournaments or anything like that.

Back in the day I went to the trouble to track down missing cards to build a complete set of every expansion including all the dumb alternate image/foil cards, which I still have along with a couple of those big 5,000-count storage boxes full of random cards. I remember even back then a complete set was kind of a pain in the rear end to achieve - the last few expansions had tiny print runs, and it seemed like Decipher just stopped giving a poo poo about printing product when they lost the license, which was too bad.

I looked up completed auctions on ebay for some of the stuff I'm pretty sure I have and uh, :eyepop: too bad it's all in storage in a different country. I'd definitely play again if I had my cards and a local opponent.

Porfiriato has a new favorite as of 07:10 on May 2, 2021

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I had a few of those too because some place was selling booster packs for dirt cheap, but I don't think I ever even had enough to build a deck. The only thing I remember about it was that they had some cards (probably rares) that were taller or longer than the "normal" game cards which made storing it a pain in the rear end.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

mactheknife posted:

most of the music video bits are on youtube now, at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvFLzQ56wT8

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I was more astounded by the fact that those things retailed for $1200...in 1991. :popeye:

https://spacemice.org/index.php?title=Spaceball_2003

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Cartoon Man posted:

Need room for the CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, and DVD-RW.

Fortunately it appears there's a slot left for the DVD+RW as well.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

As someone whose parents had one, those are not standing desks unless you're very short. They're variations on the Kneebanger 5000 line of computer desks, with a combination of minimal leg space and shelves/printer trays strategically placed to inflict maximum damage.

Note also the boomer-esque glass/wooden shutters to hide away your unsightly computer paraphernalia when guests comes over.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Tom from MySpace building his IRL social networks one LAN party at a time.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1588498665072906240

One of the shots has a poster for the movie Black Rainbow which came out in 1989, but according to Wikipedia was not finally released on home video until Jan 1992, so these photos are probably from winter/spring of '92.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

This feels like peak late 80s/early 90s interior design with grandma's sofa from 1975 inexplicably dropped in the middle of it all.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTFXuJqcaJY

e: there's some sort of non-Newton PDA I don't recognize at 2:50 followed by a Videophone cameo.

Porfiriato has a new favorite as of 10:49 on Apr 28, 2023

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I swear this advertising campaign was to distract from the fact that they had recently jacked up the prices from 39, 59, and 79 cents but now I'm wondering if I'm gaslighting myself here because I can't find much online about it.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I remember wanting an L-shaped/corner computer desk in that era with a keyboard tray that did not force you to put the monitor/keyboard on a diagonal in the corner like that. It was almost impossible to find. People loved that awkward configuration back in the day.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

lmao that they foisted Drop Dead Fred on video stores who surely just wanted a bunch of copies of T2 and nothing else.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

This poppped into suggestions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Z5NBywQEU
1990 "gen x" room tour.

This is a good IRL example of that "what kids think the 80s looked like" / "what the 80s actually looked like" meme. Wood paneling, heavy carpeting, and ugly rear end wallpaper as far as the eye can see.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

It's kind of wild how the first few clips in the first video people are just openly walking around the mall puffing away on a cigarette. It really wasn't that long ago, but it seems difficult now to remember the era when people not only smoked in restaurants/movies/planes/etc. but also just had plain old walking-around cigarettes in public places.

e: also the bygone era when shopping involved gazing at products in fixed displays inaccessible inside glass cases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

One of the replies pointed out that page still exists

https://www.pizzahut.com/assets/pizzanet/home.html