Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Sjurygg posted:

Foo Fighters ain't dad rock. Dad rock is stuff like Gerry Rafferty and Steely Dan and BTO. goddammit I'm old
Grandpa rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

My favorite music fact is that the best-selling indie record of all time is Smash by The Offspring
Whenever someone points this out I have to be a dick and say that Taylor Swift is on an independent label, but I just looked it up and Smash has sold twice as many copies as any of her albums :)

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Here's a 1998-ish picture of the band Slipknot out of their usual costumes.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Also I had assumed that the bald dork on the right was their manager or tour bus driver or something but I was wrong and he is this person:

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

This is what Vogue magazine looked like in the "post-Nirvana" era

Almost everything in this photo has come back into fashion in the past couple of years.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

That's actually kind of interesting, how we seem to simultaneously remember the 90s as this neon-colored world of buzz clips and x-treme sports, and also as bland, inoffensive, and boring.

edit: In conclusion, the nineties were a decade of contrasts.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I've had this poo poo stuck in my head for like 24 years now; Comedy Central in the mid-1990s did several current-events comedic music videos that they played amidst commercial breaks.
FUUUUUUUUUCK I REMEMBER THESE and they occasionally get stuck in my head still too.

"Buttafuoco Song" was a semi-parody of "Ebeneezer Goode" by the Shamen; "Salameh Song" was a semi-parody of "Genius of Love" by Tom Tom Club.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

JediTalentAgent posted:

That whole Chris Gaines thing would have probably been seen as way less alienating years later.

People didn't know what the hell to make of it at the time, it was a bit of a joke, I think even with Brooks' crossover success in non-country scenes people question his motivations. It was all apparently supposed to have been tied into a movie that never got made and I wonder if that was the fatal flaw of the whole project. Had the movie come out first I think people would have been a lot more accepting of the whole thing as just a film soundtrack with a bit of a gimmick than confused and angry over him changing looks, name, and style.
In 1998 Garth Brooks hosted Saturday Night Live, with musical guest Chris Gaines.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Dave Grohl had exactly that response when Al did Smells Like Nirvana. He was like "holy gently caress, we made it!" Apparently very few artists will turn him down. One of the reasons he asks is because sometimes songs are very personal to the artist. Michael Jackson in particular was massively enthusiastic about Al's work and even did things like getting him in touch with the dancers from Beat It so they could be in Eat It. Then he got Al access to the original sets from that and Bad. However, he specifically said not to record anything with Black or White.
He actually did write a "Black or White" parody, it's called "Snack All Night" and it's been performed live. The artist who was notorious for turning him down over and over was Prince, and after Prince died Al finally revealed one of the parodies he'd written, a parody of "1999" called "1-900".

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Dillbag posted:

14-year old me thought Yeardly Smith was kind of cute in a weird way but I quickly grew out of that mindset when I saw Erika Eleniak in Under Siege.
The otherwise completely obscure 1989 film Ginger Ale Afternoon is notable for briefly including topless Yeardley Smith.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Randaconda posted:

Wonderful Tonight owns, actually

hth
It doesn't. It was, however, my prom theme, so even 20+ years after its release it was still the soundtrack to feels being copped.

Content: After I read The Big Short (and loved the movie), I looked up more info on the author and found out he's married to Tabitha Soren from MTV News. My 14-year-old self would have jumped for joy to find out she's into huge nerds.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I've heard 80s music was returned to the mainstream with Gross Point Blank, which when you think about it, it fits.
I would say The Wedding Singer had more to do with it.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Winklebottom posted:

*cough* The King Turd Collection *cough*
This is the correct answer.
Also I desperately want someone to take the video from the Daria DVDs and re-edit it with the original music.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Pastry of the Year posted:

"It peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard 200 music chart, and was certified as double platinum, meaning two million copies were sold in the United States. Worldwide, the album sold around six million copies."
This album was big enough to spawn a parody album, Chantmania by the Benzedrine Monks of Santo DoMonica.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JENWSdO7tI

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

If you ever doubted that the nineties were truly a decade of contrasts, this chick:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MK9MKqjEkE

is also this chick:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JmK3Y03flE

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Croatoan posted:

Well i turned 16 on 4/8/94. The day Kurt Cobain's body was discovered. Everyone of my friends I talked to was super bummed out and my birthday kinda sucked. Well that's my story and I'm glad I was able to make someone's tragic decision to end their life all about me and my stupid birthday.
Doxxing myself to say I turned 21 on 9/11/2001.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

jojoinnit posted:

Somewhere in my parents attic I saved an issue of Guitar World from 1999 where Ratt were still specifically blaming Nirvana for their downfall. It was something like "and just when you’ve put out the best album of your career this guy comes out and everybody decides you’re not cool anymore”. I mainly remember it coming off as incredibly whiney.
The handful of heavy metal bands who decided to "go alternative" in the mid-90s got ripped for it at the time (a bunch of Metallica fans freaked the gently caress out when Metallica agreed to headline Lollapalooza '96) but the stuff they released then probably holds up better now than the stuff from the hairspray years. This is "Afraid" by Mötley Crüe, their first single after Vince Neil rejoined the band:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_hqTdxn2us
It's basically the prototype for 2000s buttrock. Also, look out for a very special cameo at the end of the video.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Also the Drummer for Garbage was Butch Vig, who was Nirvana's producer, which is why early Garbage always had a bit of Nirvana in it.
He was actually the band's primary songwriter initially. The first album was already written and demos recorded before Vig and Duke Erikson decided they wanted a female vocalist.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't remember what mine was, but it was probably 1999 by Prince since I graduated in 1999
Ladies and gentlemen of the Class of ‘99... wear sunscreen.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Hey, remember that one time when a Volkswagen commercial used a song about a child rapist performed by a genderqueer chaos-magick/sex-magick occultist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWSJEvpi5tY

(Sorry for the horrible video quality.)

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Darthemed posted:

What was the official name for the machine where you'd get harnessed into three rotating rings? Seemed to be mainly a mall thing, aside from The Lawnmower Man. Been trying assorted terms to image search it, haven't managed to hit the right combo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerotrim

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

PhotoKirk posted:

Human gyro
*Amazing Carnac voice*

*holds up envelope*

"Recipes from Greek cannibals!"

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Antioch posted:

A friend of mine lost a finger in the eighth grade riding one, and by the end of summer they were all gone.
Wow, rough summer. How did he lose the other nine?

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Beastie posted:

If you didn't know, the lead singer is Bob Dylan's son.
When their first album came out and they started doing national tours, they had a clause in their contract that promoters/venues were never allowed to mention that.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

PhotoKirk posted:

Nick has already been ruined. It used to be cartoons, then Schneider turned it into glam-shots of underage girls.
Many of Nick's best and best-loved shows have been live-action (YCDTOTV, Pete & Pete, Clarissa, Double Dare [and all the game shows really], AYAOTD?, Roundhouse/All That, etc.).

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Footos
The Fresh Fighter

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Be careful, that new Viennetta image has "Frozen Dairy Dessert Cake" clearly visible on it. That means it's not legally considered ice cream by FDA standards, which is what a lot of Breyer's ice cream does.
"Ice cream" must:

* Contain at least 10% dairy milkfat
* Be at least 51% ice cream to 49% air in the container
* Weigh at least 4.5 lb/gal.

Anything less is "frozen dairy dessert". Most "good" ice cream (B&J's etc.) has more like 15% milkfat and only 20-40% air (which is called "overrun") but personally the air part doesn't bother me much, if anything I prefer ice cream with a lighter more "whipped" texture. The fat, obviously, makes a big difference.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Disco Pope posted:

Music videos where people hold up signs and stare at the camera in black and white:

https://youtu.be/4ZkEob55qso

https://youtu.be/aHnFIaLp_ys
OK, so I was going to respond by just posting this as a joke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUQDzj6R3p4

but then the concept of "music videos with lots of words" made me remember this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIWlvc3QGA8

and watch it, and goddamn if absolutely everything we were worrying about twenty OH MY GOD THIRTY years ago isn't still true.

I'm starting to think maybe we (Generation X) kind of hosed up :smith:

This Is the Zodiac has a new favorite as of 08:16 on Feb 12, 2021

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

iSuck

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Anyone have any idea what the gently caress this thing is?

Someone posted it on Reddit, says it's been in the back room of the music/video store where they work for 20+ years, it was originally part of a cardboard standee/display but no one remembers what for.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Rewatching Daria and while a lot of its insights are evergreen
Are they, though? I loved it as an angsty teen but rewatching it as an adult I found a lot of it really cringey. Like, look at the way Daria treats Kevin and Brittany: sure, they're dumb, but they're also perfectly nice to her. She turns against her best friend for the sins of 1. getting interested in something Daria can't do (track and field) and 2. meeting a guy she likes.
It's really very much that like episode of 30 Rock where Liz goes to her high school reunion intending to tell off / show up all the people who bullied her, only to find out that they saw her as the bully all along, and people only hated her because she treated everyone like poo poo.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Ok I clearly haven't gotten to this one. Which one was this? The late 90s dissonance of the show sometimes gets infuriating and this sounds like a good time.
Cafe Disaffecto

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Related-- anyone notice that Daria's voice actress dropped off the face of the earth after the show? I googled around to see if she worked much after, and she basically vanishes after 2002.
She’s an executive at Comedy Central, some kind of VP I think.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

WHAT THE gently caress

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

VIdeos from the 90s have a bunch of actors who became big later
Those two (wait, were there three?) Aerosmith music videos with Liv Tyler and Alicia Silverstone were basically my sexual awakening.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Awww, was this, like, a magazine for homeless people? :3:

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

For all the range that 90's music had there was one style that seems to be forever unique to that time. Free from anything before and free from continuity since.
Do you mean the style of being self-awarely "silly" as in PUSA, Cake, Barenaked Ladies, et al.? Because that existed in the 70s (Frank Zappa), it existed in the 80s (Camper Van Beethoven, Dead Milkmen), it existed in the 2000s (Bloodhound Gang)... for a little while in the post-9/11 2000s it seemed like the prevailing sense was "no one can ever have fun again" but that finally, gradually wore off eventually.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I mean it definitely does seem like music takes itself way more seriously these days than it used to, and you can't just be a goofball anymore unless you're, like, Andrew WK, but that's probably just because there's so much more coexisting now?

PS, I saw Bloodhound Gang live in 2000 and they started the show by coming onstage in matching white suits like N*SYNC.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Killingyouguy! posted:

They Might Be Giants have done a few kids albums but they're still putting out normal music too. It's still really good too! Saw them in 2018 and it was a blast
They have a new album coming out in October, and are going on tour in the Spring.

Dewgy posted:

(This is new-ish anyway, merely eight years old. Oh god I’m ancient… :negative:)
Here's some actually new new stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Zj8ZSz6dE

This Is the Zodiac has a new favorite as of 19:32 on Sep 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Green Day kicked off the pop-punk revival, Blink-182 was toward the end. By the time their two biggest albums came out pop-punk was already giving way to "emo"