Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
One upside to the snow, it apparently makes my cat loving nuts.

I was out at work but my fiancee had the wherewithal to film it. There's 4 short videos here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viDP6iIllqo&list=PL6zCVJQMyK6sR8jTId_NWrLk5DuKooxoa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Holy crap, that's an awesome cat.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

Chickens are basically magic though.

They sure are, I think Herzog put it best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhMo4WlBmGM

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
My cat, Monty, likes to wrestle with my arm a bit before bed time.

This is how he tells me we're done playing:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Sel Nar posted:

awesome dad stories

I've posted about this awhile ago, but I put together a thread some time back that was about my awesome grandfather. After the thread retired I pulled them together into a blog. My fiancee illustrated the posts. I still miss my grandpa (Poppa Lou) like crazy, and every holiday season I'll return to the blog and post more things. This was the first post: https://hannukahharry.wordpress.com/2014/02/15/hannukah-harry-a-primer/

and everything else can be found here.

https://hannukahharry.wordpress.com/

Check it out if you want more "cool dad stuff", cause hey he was still my dad's dad.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Sel Nar posted:

Your Poppa sounds like a Best Dad; someone who'd move heaven and earth for the sake of family, and for the sake of making you smile. I would have loved to have met him.

He truly was. My biggest disappointment is that my fiancee will never get to meet him and vice versa. Her providing the stroies with the illustrations though has been a really awesome way to build a connection to him and sometimes I even forget that they haven't met. It's a distant second to the real thing, but it's still a second :shobon:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
So my fiancee just started volunteering with the SPCA, she agreed to foster some kittens. As you may imagine, this is the best.

Let me introduce you all to the gang, they are 7 weeks old, and our current treatment goal for them is to get them to 2 pounds they are sooooo weeeee :kimchi:

We even got to name them!

Charlie:

Mac:

Dee:

Dennis:

And here's an unremarkable, shaky video, of all of them doing their kitten business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI5ecVrK1YE

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
We actually already fostered a Frank, we named him that because he ended up hiding in a couch. He's since found a good home though.

Anyway:

The funny thing about these kittens is just how crazy different they are from one another. I mean, apart from how they look they all have remarkably distinct temperaments and presentations. This is probably a given to most, but I'm still fairly new to cats so I'm finding it fascinating, and adorable. Equally fascinating to me is that we've had a bunch of people over to visit them and so far each kitten has been someone's favorite.

I'll run down their stats:

Charlie, named because he is the easy favorite. He's playful, friendly, wants lots of attention and meows/sings a ton. Incidentally he also smelt the most like poo poo when we got him. He's also the softest/fluffiest by a pretty comfortable margin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZl2pTTFxSM

Dee is the most curious and clever of all of the kittens, she was the first one to figure out how all of the toys work, and when the kittens found a mirror, she started at it for a good long while and then promptly hid under some furniture. Her and Charlie are the most fearless, and they're constantly trying to bumrush past our ankles when we open the kitten room door. Clever girl.

Mac is, far and away, my favorite. He's just a little sweetheart. He's definitely the runt of the litter, his siblings make sure that he eats last. Mac, over all the others likes to be handled by people the most.

And then there's Dennis. Dennis gives no fucks. When we opened up their little room that we've been keeping them secluded in (away from out full grown cat) the other three bolted out and began exploring. When I went to check where Dennis was, I walked into the room and he greeted me with a similar expression that you see here. Whenever a new toy, or blanket is introduced, Dennis is drat well sure to ignore it and not let us know that he's not interested. I caught him using a toy once and when he noticed me looking at him, the look of shame on his face was amazing.

Charlie and Dennis eat first, they seem to be the alphas (if that's a thing with cats).

I will probably keep on posting about these little guys until someone tells me to stop. Also, if anyone is in the Baltimore, MD area and is interested, they'll be looking for a home within the next month or so!

Chili has a new favorite as of 17:47 on Jun 14, 2015

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Crow Jane posted:

Oh god. I am, and Mac is just adorable :ohdear:. I don't need another cat, I've already got these two assholes to contend with:

Well PM me if you'reinterested! They're only 20 dollars to adopt from the SPCA!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
I'm in a pretty sad mood at work. I went and looked for something to cheer me up and this was the only thing that worked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1bXy5pSGJE

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

oh god all those Toucans are adorable(although their eyes are weird looking), that article mentioning that they are legal to buy(at least in South America) makes me wonder how good of pets do they make by bird standards though...(not that I'd buy one since they are really expensive, and are probably pretty high maintenance)

There's a guy in the bird crazy thread who has an aracari. Definitely seems like a lot of work but you also get this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec8TKNsLuPo

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Oh god you guys, my fiancee did it again, we're now fostering a new kitten.

We've named her Vienna. She is only 4 weeks old, and she is, officially, just too much :3:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

That is a tiny cat. I hope you are carrying her around in a little sling.

Close, we are carrying her around in a scarf, she does like to be held like a baby though.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Day 2 of fostering the mewwiest kitten ever. She somehow looks even smaller than she did yesterday.

Tucking Vienna in now, goodnight cute thread:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Vienna turned 5 weeks old today! :toot:

The worrisome part is that she may turn out to be our first foster failure. Our other cat, Monty, whose always been very sweet with people has been a hissy rage box at all other cats.... except this one. We caught him grooming her yesterday.

Being a couple of blurry cattes

We really weren't looking to get another cat, Monty seemed to be most content by himself, and we want to get a dog some day and are worried that between having one cat already and our three birds, a dog is already kind of a far off notion, and with a kitten in play... it'll only be longer.

But I know cats do really well in pairs if they're properly bonded, and with my fiancee gearing up to be a busy bee in grad school and me working full time, the idea of Monty having a buddy is a nice one.

Guuuuuhhhh.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
It isn't us who are admitting anything.

We're not the foster failures, really, it's actually Monty himself who will have failed.

But yeah, he really does look like he could be her dad.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Ozz81 posted:

I wonder how much the similarity in looks plays a part in Monty's behavior? Or maybe he just knows Vienna isn't a threat and needs a little care/protection :3:

I'm not sure. If I had to guess, it's somewhat circumstantial. The first run in I saw was with an old room mate's cats, both of which were horrible. Then, we housed a feral 6 month old for a bit who seemed to like Monty but he definitely came on a little strong. Then we fostered four really good kittens but they were definitely a little team and it may have been overwhelming.

Then there's Vienna whose just the tiniest most helpless little dust collector...

Pardon the laundry, we've had to adjust our priorities a bit at the moment

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Hey everyone. So looks like we wound up with some bad news. This isn't the super bum out thread so I'll just keep this short. We lost Vienna last night. It appears fading kitten syndrome is a real bitch. We're obviously pretty crestfallen and this has been an immensely difficult night. She passed in my hands, she was warm, we were both with her. Monty is doing OK. He tried to finish her dinner, and that was about the only thing he seemed concerned with, so yeah... just being a cat.

We're gonna take a break from fostering for a bit, and though we're currently pretty poor, we're gonna pass along some coin to the mdscpa. Check them out, it's a wonderful no-kill facility that does a lot for our wee furry counterparts and if you have the means and wish to pass something along in honor of little V's short but sweet life, it would be most appreciated.

Oh and I suppose it goes without saying, but pictures of happy teeny tiny kittens would be most appreciated.

Chili has a new favorite as of 13:32 on Sep 5, 2015

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Oh and I forgot, just in case anyone did want to donate in her memory to http://www.mdspca.org/give/ , the name she was given from them was Pepper, we've always given the babies we look after our own names, and Vienna just fit for us.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Alteisen posted:

I don't know why Chili but the news of Vienna's passing made me horrifically sad and I've spent the better part of an hour crying over an animal I never knew, I am terribly sorry for your loss.

Here's my newest Luna, please ignore the horrifically dirty tablet behind her.

You were probably just due for a good cry, that kind of thing happens to me a lot.

Your empathy is appreciated, and I'm glad that the silly little pictures I took of her made people happy enough that when she left us it was strongly felt in the other direction.

Onwards and upwards cute thread! We'll be back in the saddle with new needy fosters that will be craving your :swoon: imminently!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Good news....

We're back in the fostering adorable little mewey kittens game!

Our new crew are three female kittens. So far, there's not much in the way of individual personalities. Wendy is the purriest, Tink is a little spitfire, and Tiger wiggles a lot and shreds the christ out of you when you try to love her.

Not a bad haul so far!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Our new batch of fosters is getting closer to make weight/being adoptable!

Tink being camera shy.

Tink milkin' it.

Also, my fiancee did a great job getting the room ready for them, tons of nice little blankets and towels to cuddle on. Of course, the kittens ended up finding their own drat sleepy place.

A big ol tupperware bucket we just happened to leave on a very high up shelf. Should've known.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Oh god you guys, I'm so happy.

My fiancee and are continuing along with fostering kittens/cats from our local SPCA. There was a cat that needed fostering who was... 30 pounds. Yes, a 30 pound cat. His name is Butterscotch and he looks incredible.

Anyway, we were going to pull the trigger but someone else beat us to it. But today, we found out that his current fosters have sucked and he didn't eat with them for 3 days! Needless to say these people were let go and we were immediately summoned to come and get him, we're one of the SPCA's favorite fosters!

It's a really good day, we get DAT FAT KITTY and we found out we're doing a good job.

Of course, there will be far too many pictures of Butterscotch posted on Friday, once we get him. According to our point person, he's very needy and cuddly. This is going to be the best.

He won't be Fat Kitty forever, we're gonna be working with him to get him to a healthful weight so he can be adopted (but this already feels a hell of a lot like a foster failure).

Are you ready for Fat Kitty? You better be ready, 'cos Fat Kitty is a comin.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Saffronica posted:

That's going to be one very lucky fat cat! How long is he with you, is it until he's a fit cat?

So this is actually a "foster to adopt" situation. Sometimes, they identify a cat as particularly high need and in those instances, they request that you are the cat's final stop before his or her forever home.

So, I imagine there will be a target weight for him to hit (we'll learn about that today) and once he hits it, we will be allowed to place him. Until that time however, we get all da floof.

SPEAKING OF WHICH

If there are any goons in the Baltimore County/Maryland area that would like to visit/potentially adopt Fat Kitty, you just let me know.

My fiancee picks him up today, I'm worried she'll have a hard time getting him in the house, he's more than 1/4 her weight.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Butterscotch has arrived!

Poor guy has had a rough couple of days. His last foster parents were pretty horrendous, they were neglectful and didn't tend to his needs at all. They've since been dismissed, thankfully.

Butterscotch has a lot of unique needs. First, he can't really clean himself all to well which means we have the most noble and honorable pleasure of cleaning him after he relieves himself.

He is Mr. Poopy Butthole, ooooweeee

Right now, he's weighing in at around 26 pounds. Unfortunately, his weight loss plan is on hold for now because while he was staying with The Voldemorts, he developed an upper respiratory infection. Probably didn't help that to help him stay clean they sprayed him with a hose. Anyway, the best defense against a URI is for cats to eat, so for now he's gorging himself.

He is indeed a big boy, but he's surprisingly mobile, and generally seems pretty happy. If there isn't food in his bowl he is all over us constantly demanding rubbins and floofins.

I'm also gonna have to get a video because this cat can purr. I've never heard a cat this loud.

We also found out that he was the pet of an older woman who essentially just fed him everything off her plate. So yeah, don't do that, or you end up with a cat like this:

The weight loss is going to be pretty slow going, cat's can healthfully lose about a pound a month, which means his diet could easily take a year and may even longer. Our goal isn't to help him hit a number, however, it's just to get him going and help adopt him out to a good home that can get him to a healthy weight.

His spirits seem to be high for now, we're going to go spend money we don't have on a big cushy bed for him.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Mission Accatlished

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

Thanks for taking care of that big fat cat.

How'd the rescue find that the volunteers were being such poo poo?

Believe it or not they just happily told the SPCA worker. They only brought him in because he started sneezing a lot. Then, they offhandedly mentioned that he hadn't eaten in three days. Man, I would've love to seen that. Our point person is an immensely sweet, but very tough young woman. She said she was about ready to pounce, but she just told them that if they ever tried to come back they'd be thrown out.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
And there will be videos but for the time being... he doesn't sound very good. An upper respiratory infection combined with obesity does not exactly make for a cute/adorable/uplifting post. Once he gets better, we'll be sure to post some of his waddling adventures.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
May want to consider thumbnailing that picture, can't even see it on my laptop.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Butterscotch is doing great! His breathing is getting a lot clearer and we decided to gamble today and give him a bath, his coat was really grody and he had a lot of mess around his butt. He didn't seem to love the bath all that much, but a fringe benefit of a mordibly obese cat is that resistance ain't really much of a thing.

The bath was worth it though, just look at this dapper gentleman:

Right afterwards we gave him his dinner and he scarfed it down without wheezing which is a really good/new development.

And then he played! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhDLdwN8f2c

Please pardon our incessant cackling and comments, we were pretty verklempt.

Anyhow, his coat is nice and soft, his butt is rid of mess, he's really close to kicking his respiratory infection, and then we can get him up on his diet and on the track to a healthy weight!

:toot: Butterscotch! :toot:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Anoia posted:

I approve of the new thread title, it's like Butterscotch has a jaunty theme song.

:neckbeard:

He's such a good cat! I couldn't sleep last night and I just hung out in his room (he's sequestered until he kicks the URI), played Star Realms on my phone and he was just a-purring and cuddled up in my arm.

It took him a couple of tries to figure out proper arm cuddling:

Hm, not quite.

Little closer, let's try the other arm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKzufO-zxiQ

Nailed it.

Sorry for the poor quality of the video, it was pretty dark in there.

Whale-cats are best-cats. I'm stoked for him to lose all the weight and be a healthy dude, but for now, gonna take advantage of this as much as possible.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Tendai posted:

Goodness :3: Is he down with belly rubs or is that a no-go zone?

Fortunately, he is all about the belly rubs.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
We'll do our best!

I'm not sure what's gonna happen with him long term, he has "foster failure" written all over him, but he hasn't really interacted much with Monty (our cat) yet. Monty is much more a people cat, than a cat's cat so we'll have to wait and see.

Regardless, we may just hold on to him until we find a friend or someone we can count on to show us pictures/videos so we can keep track of him. I love this bugger already, gonna have to follow up with him at least.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Sage Grimm posted:

You get another cat? :confused:

But was there ever a cat?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Johnny Aztec posted:

Suprise! The Cat is you!

The cat was you all along!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Why you shouldn't be jealous of me:

I spent more time than I care to mention cleaning out Butterscotch's butt. While I do this I can't helpmyself from impersonating Mr. Poopybutthole from Rick and Morty, "ooooweee that's a lotta poo poo you got back there ooooweeee." I do that impersonation on top of Butterscotch's high levels of protesting meows, it's quite a symphony for the ears in his room at 8 in the morning.

Why you should be jealous of me:

The fluff, I get all of it. He's really good at putting hands exactly where he wants them, especially for his size. There's a whole lot of fluff that needs attention.

I don't know if it's quite an even trade, poo poo for fluff, but he's getting better quickly and hopefully once he kicks the URI there won't be runny poop as much and it won't be an issue.

oooooweeee

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Analytic Engine posted:

Pet dat fat cat!

Does Butterscotch have a deep "fat guy" meow, or a hilariously high-pitched squeak?

It's actually just a pretty standard cat meow. If you had your eyes closed and just heard him meow, you wouldn't guess that he's a big boy. He talks a lot, especially right before meals, I'll film it soon.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
OK, by demand, here is Butterscotch's weak rear end vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdanzTDD5Zw

This was not a particularly strong showing for him today, maybe he's camera shy. But yeah, certainly not "fat cat" noises. More... "I'm so scared" noises.

Edit;

I don't even realize how much he makes laugh until I watch these videos... he makes me so happy :unsmith:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Have a little more Butterscotch with your Friday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR-pG1i8aL4

While his belly is the best, he's still got a head, and it needs rubbins' too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Been a long weekend for Butterscotch:

First, when you’re somewhat socially phobic and stuck at a Gala for work where you’re expected to educate the masses on the merits of sand tray therapy, it's nice to know that when you get home, you can eat some Butterscotch:

That is not me cuddling him, that is just how he naturally gets his cuddles when you lie down. He's a master at armpit plopping.

Anyway, we took Butters to the SPCA for his check up and they’re really happy with how he’s doing. Apart from his horribly poopy butthole, which is incredibly raw and tender now, they were very please with health. To be clear, we've been doing the best we can, but we're cleaning up long standing poopy mess. They shaved up his backside and we’re now charged with the noble task of applying Vaseline back there as often as possible.

Apart from that, however, he has all but kicked his URI and is now able to roam around the house. And by roam, I of course mean finding a hiding place that he shouldn’t be able to fit in and promptly settling there for 10 hours:

He may just have been nervous 'cos we were doing our Fall cleaning.

He’s in relatively high spirits for now, but he and Monty (our forever cat) aren’t exactly best of friends. There was a little hissing at first but they have progressed now to what appears to be mutual disinterest, one of the highest forms of cat love as I understand it. So, there may be some hope.

Until we have to make that call, he’s our big boy and we’ll keep on lovin' on him. He’s just begun his diet and hopefully will start losing weight soon.

:toot:Butterscotch :toot:

Chili has a new favorite as of 19:00 on Nov 2, 2015

• Locked thread