Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

KyloWinter posted:

conquest matchmaker would make this game a+

Oh yeah, no doubt. I think as far as goon play, we could make a table and randomly select our opponents and scenarios, like the tabletop game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

The controls, interface and camera of this game are total garbage

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Megadyptes posted:

The controls, interface and camera of this game are total garbage

ya they are pretty bad

this game needs matchmaker and more warbands to be good imo

my effigy burns
Aug 23, 2015

IF I'M NOT SHITPOSTING ABOUT HOW I, A JUNIOR DEVELOPER IN JAVASCRIPT KNOW EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW, PLEASE CHECK TO BE SURE MY ACCOUNT WAS NOT COMPROMISED BY A CLIENT-SIDE BOTNET, TIA
So, we could do a goon league by everyone creating a new warband, and then just doing a randomized round robin. This is basically what goons did with blood bowl, and all it really requires is people not being douches. Given the relatively small number of people playing Mordheim/the number of different warbands available, I'd say 8 people would be a good number for a league, with everyone playing one game a week.

As for the overall player level stuff, people can dump extra starting gold or what have you so it's all even, or if we're all at about the same level we can just play as-is.

Regardless, I can throw together a player/league/schedule database and frontend site so that people can set their availabilities and enter battle results without having to continually clutter up the thread. The best time to start is probably January, but I can put the site together before then. Who all is interested, and what format do you think would work best?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
yeah god forbid this 6 page thread gets too cluttered

can't we just copy the bloodbowl league system?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
well doesnt your warband get knocked out after 4 losses?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does it?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
if you fail 4 shipments your warband retires, had to look it up

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

KyloWinter posted:

Ah yeah, but those shipments usually lie a few weeks apart from each other. As long as you get over the initial hump, you'll have plenty of room for error there.

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
On the fence about getting this, mostly due to the fact that my current laptop isn't the greatest.

Does anyone here have experience running it on a lowtier laptop? Could anyone tell me if it would be playable with the following specs:

4gb ram
Amd-A64400M APU with Radeon HD graphics (2x2.7ghz)
AMD Radeon HD 7520G (integrated)

Obviously, the graphics are the weak spot here as it is integrated. I am rather hesitant to throw all my money at the game before knowing if i have a chance to play it or not.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jaroslav posted:

On the fence about getting this, mostly due to the fact that my current laptop isn't the greatest.

Does anyone here have experience running it on a lowtier laptop? Could anyone tell me if it would be playable with the following specs:

4gb ram
Amd-A64400M APU with Radeon HD graphics (2x2.7ghz)
AMD Radeon HD 7520G (integrated)

Obviously, the graphics are the weak spot here as it is integrated. I am rather hesitant to throw all my money at the game before knowing if i have a chance to play it or not.

Gimme a bit, I'll download it on mine and tell you how it goes. It's not too well optimised, so don't get your hopes too high.

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Perestroika posted:

Gimme a bit, I'll download it on mine and tell you how it goes. It's not too well optimised, so don't get your hopes too high.

Aight, thanks man

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
As a Mordheim: City of the Damned owner, I cannot recommend you purchase this game at this time.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
this game is trash and it would take enough work to make it good that they would be better served just making mordheim 2.

KyloWinter posted:

any league would be over before your second shipment was due. What usually ends my warbands is (1) i am chaos and (2) my magister and backup magister are both injured

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
So, not worth it then? I've been loving Vermintide and this looked like a potentially cool game in the same setting.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I want to like this game because a Warhammer XCOM would be great, but it makes me feel miserable. The combat is obtuse in a way that not even Blood Bowl comes close to. I've tried to get past the first few missions hoping I'd climb the learning curve, but even when I'm not losing my first fights, I still don't get any sense of accomplishment. It feels like work, not fun. Collect rocks. Deliver rocks. Repeat.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
the act of picking up a wyrdstone on it's own is enough to make me never want to play this game.

my effigy burns
Aug 23, 2015

IF I'M NOT SHITPOSTING ABOUT HOW I, A JUNIOR DEVELOPER IN JAVASCRIPT KNOW EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW, PLEASE CHECK TO BE SURE MY ACCOUNT WAS NOT COMPROMISED BY A CLIENT-SIDE BOTNET, TIA

Normal Adult Human posted:

this game is trash and it would take enough work to make it good that they would be better served just making mordheim 2.

any league would be over before your second shipment was due. What usually ends my warbands is (1) i am chaos and (2) my magister and backup magister are both injured

Well, clearly it's completely unworkable no matter what and we should close this thread and then uninstall the game. Your contributions are useful, valuable, and well-considered, definitely not threadshitting.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jaroslav posted:

Aight, thanks man

Alright, I tested it one my laptop which has

Intel i5-5200U CPU (2.7 Ghz)
Intel HD Graphics 5500 (integrated)
4 GB RAM

And it was... technically playable, I guess? On lowest details it managed to stay reasonably close to 30fps, but in return it looked like absolute rear end. I'm not really too up to date when it comes to internal GPUs but I think the Intel is a bit stronger than the AMD. So I'd say it's probably best if you held off.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

my effigy burns posted:

Well, clearly it's completely unworkable no matter what and we should close this thread and then uninstall the game. Your contributions are useful, valuable, and well-considered, definitely not threadshitting.

It's a bad game that isn't worth half of it's listed price im sorry that hurts your feelings for some reason, product lover.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
when i played this with early access i thought "well gee its pretty shallow and clunky but they'll tune that up a bit"

they never tuned it up. its a bad mix of obtuse and shallow.

its not worth half an xcom. the 1994 xcom.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i agree. game has a lot of neat ideas but they didnt translate it well from tabeltop to pc

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I really like it, but I tend to play it and watch something on another screen at the same time. I couldn't imagine playing it and not doing anything else.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I like it for what it is, I agree on the price. The controls are also clunky.

And every combat feels pretty much identical.

I guess maybe I don't like it.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
For all its flaws, I do like it. And I am interested in the goon league.

I'm interested in what you come up with as far as a way to randomize our mission types and matchups.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I would like this game alot more if you got more from losses. Me and my brother have played 15-20 games against each other now and it's become blatantly obvious that winning the game as skaven is nearly impossible. I can collect wyrdstone first but good luck ever winning a fight unless you can get 2 or 3 pick offs first. Once my brother learned to just have his guys run around in a massive deathball I haven't won a game since.

It would be better if you didn't have to end every single game by fighting. Sure you can run around and gather goodies before fighting but eventually your only option is to fight, and then whoever goes down mostly gets some hideous injury and gently caress you.

I can't even advance my warband at all in multiplayer, even if you pull a 50% winrate overall you actually lose ground from the instanely high rate of crippling injuries and deaths.

For all it's flaws bloodbowl is such a better game than this at the moment.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I would like to state that I bought this game, played it for an hour and promptly requested a steam refund. Nothing about this game is fun or good. Warbands are customizable in only a cosmetic sense.

TL;DR everything about this game blows.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I'm interested in this game, but I'm wary. I love the WFRP 2e pen and paper game, but the only Warhammer tabletop game I've played that's been transliterated to pc is Blood Bowl, and I really couldn't get into the style of gameplay.

All I want to know is this:
1: I read earlier that the have uses dice rolls to accomplish things (climbing, hitting, etc). Dies it do this off a d100 system lie in wfrp 2e, or does it use the traditional dice system associated with Warhammer tabletop? Or is it it's own thing?

2: Is the turn based combat like final fantasy tactics? It's the last strategy game I've played/enjoyed, so the comparisons to xcom (and company) kind of go over my head :(

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The turned based combat is like you have to hold down the "W" key to move for some reason in lieu of using a mouse topdown. The camera is stuck over your shoulder and even if you zoom out its confusing as gently caress. Only if you had the hardest of hardons for the tabletop by-blow of Warhammer Fantasy that is Mordheim, should you buy and play this game.

Do you enjoy dogshit controls, camera and UI?

Do you enjoy random spawns and getting loving curbstomped because of a two-sentence narrative?

Do you like a thin veil of customization, like being able to change a shirt from black to purple but touted as full customizable?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
It might be a good game later on, but the start is such a slog. During early access (So they may have improved it) i made a sisters warband. Combat was just marching up to someone and fighting, there wasn't a lot of options for equipment or even for skills. This was made worse by the random map and enemy placement (Some scenarios you will be grouped up, some scenarios you will be spread out). Tactics came down to just doing 2 on 1s, never fight the enemy in a fair fight. I heard things get "better" when you lvl up your warband but i couldn't get through the slog.

The meta game of paying for your warband would of been fun if I had gotten more abilities, or more anything really. It was just generic guys buying generic weapons. That was the level of customization offered.

If you are interested in the game I suggest you download a demo and play it. Do not play as sisters as I found out they are the most bland. If no demo is available play it for 1/2 hours and then see if you are satisifed. If you aren't then request a refund.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Apeshit Sixfingers posted:

I'm interested in this game, but I'm wary. I love the WFRP 2e pen and paper game, but the only Warhammer tabletop game I've played that's been transliterated to pc is Blood Bowl, and I really couldn't get into the style of gameplay.

1: I read earlier that the have uses dice rolls to accomplish things (climbing, hitting, etc). Dies it do this off a d100 system lie in wfrp 2e, or does it use the traditional dice system associated with Warhammer tabletop? Or is it it's own thing?

2: Is the turn based combat like final fantasy tactics? It's the last strategy game I've played/enjoyed, so the comparisons to xcom (and company) kind of go over my head :(

1) It uses a d100 system IIRC
2) No, god no, no no no. There are no skills really, you cant cast magic. There are no tiles either, it uses a system like Makai Kingdom for movement. It all comes down to your weapon and the actions are "Ambush","Attack","Attack real hard","Range attack"

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Nah there are magic and skills and stuff. Though most of your run of the mill dudes don't start with any. You can teach active or passive skills when they level up and with a bit of focus you can turn your base guys into specified roles. I have a guy dedicated to running fast and climbing poo poo to get to all the wyrdstone first, as well as another guy who uses pistols to murder anything and everything insight, and then a bunch of meatshield guys I have to spread around to give that guy space to fire.

Though I will say with low rank warbands you pretty much just run up and bash at each other and hope it all works out, unfortunately it takes so drat long to get to a high rank warband by doing that.

It's almost like the best way to enjoy the game is to play single player until you have a rank 4 warband and friends with a rank 4 warband and then bash those two teams together when you have a few more tactical options to make.

In bloodbowl when you lose a game you still get an MVP exp bonus, as well as any spp you earned throughout the game, you will still probably win money and most of your players won't be injured, in fact serious debilitating injuries are pretty rare. You can get up to a high tv value just by going 0-25 if you really sucked in bloodbowl. In this game it feels like you get nothing when you lose, unless you managed to put a reasonable amount of wyrdstone in the cart before you die, or the people who are carrying it don't eat dirt. There's just such a high chance of taking really really bad debilitating injuries, and yet the rewards when you lose are so slim.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
if you are thinking about buying this game because fantasy themed team builder and development game where you can bash in your opponents heads and possibly kill them, you should get blood bowl.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Exmond posted:

1) It uses a d100 system IIRC
2) No, god no, no no no. There are no skills really, you cant cast magic. There are no tiles either, it uses a system like Makai Kingdom for movement. It all comes down to your weapon and the actions are "Ambush","Attack","Attack real hard","Range attack"

drat, my hopes are dashed.

Misren
Nov 30, 2014

First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me.
Hope they release Fun as a dlc later on or this game is doomed.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Apeshit Sixfingers posted:

Whatever unit is has the highest initiative moves first regardless of team. You move a guy with WASD and tell him what to do, then the game rolls for hit-chance.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Nov 24, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Last time I played I killed two skavens without any of my guys falling, and then spent the next 20 turns running around the map trying to find the other three. I gave up around turn 30.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

That is the point when you just steal everything out of their chest and take their idol.

Taking their idol causes a huge morale crash so you probably could've dropped them under the threshold that way.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Apparently you cannot put stuff into the other warband's chest, and I was loaded up with Wyrdstone, because I had to do something while waiting for the other dudes to appear. So my dudes refused to take the idol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
their chest and their idol are two different loot targets that are just far enough apart that you cannot select between the two of them.

• Locked thread